Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Alcohol
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Alcohol Alcohol, including absinthe, hard liquor, beer, wine, and other assorted spirits.

Old 26-03-2012, 00:04

28 y/o Male from United States
Kenny7822 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 24, Level: 1 Points: 24, Level: 1 Points: 24, Level: 1
Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3%
Does cimetidine (Tagamet) potentiate alcohol?

I've used cimetidine before to potentiate many other drugs in the past. I'm just curious... Does cimetidine also potentiate alcohol? If so, what dose should be taken and when should it be taken?
Old 29-03-2012, 17:39
Potter Potter is nu online
Platinum Member & Advisor

33 y/o Female from United States
Potter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 18,439, Level: 19 Points: 18,439, Level: 19 Points: 18,439, Level: 19
Activity: 95.6% Activity: 95.6% Activity: 95.6%
Re: Does cimetidine (Tagamet) potentiate alcohol?

Why would it?

When posting a question like this, it would be helpful to know why you are thinking this way.

Post Quality Evaluations:
A fair call here from Potter regarding the thinking.
Old 30-03-2012, 02:01

28 y/o Male from United States
Kenny7822 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 24, Level: 1 Points: 24, Level: 1 Points: 24, Level: 1
Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3%

I just figured it might potentiate alcohol because I know for a fact that it potentiates benzos and opiates as well as a few other drugs.
Old 30-03-2012, 15:04
Silver Member

Male from United States
PowerfulMedicine must live here.PowerfulMedicine must live here.PowerfulMedicine must live here.PowerfulMedicine must live here.PowerfulMedicine must live here.PowerfulMedicine must live here.PowerfulMedicine must live here.
Points: 1,042, Level: 4 Points: 1,042, Level: 4 Points: 1,042, Level: 4
Activity: 15.6% Activity: 15.6% Activity: 15.6%

Cimetidine potentiates benzos and opiates due to its Cytochrome P450 enzyme inhibiting properties. Alcohol isn't metabolized by these enzymes (I think) so cimetidine probably wouldn't potentiate it.

thankyou for explaining the topic at hand! If people could think this way more often, we'd have a better world
Old 17-04-2012, 18:54
Silver Member

Male from United States
PowerfulMedicine must live here.PowerfulMedicine must live here.PowerfulMedicine must live here.PowerfulMedicine must live here.PowerfulMedicine must live here.PowerfulMedicine must live here.PowerfulMedicine must live here.

Uh oh. I just found out that I might be slightly wrong in my last post. I just found out that things like cimetidine and ranitidine that decrease the production of stomach acid cause an increased rate of gastric emptying. This means that the alcohol reaches the small intestine quicker where is it more effectively absorbed.

So cimetidine wouldn't really potentiate the effects of alcohol but it does speed up the onset of the effects and the peak blood alcohol level would be increased. So it might seem like it potentiates the effects since you will feel more intoxicated at the peak than you otherwise would have, but it would also shorten the duration of the effects since elimination of the alcohol from your body would a start sooner.
Old 18-04-2012, 01:28
Silver Member

Male from Canada
Xanahalf is a decent psychonaut.Xanahalf is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 167, Level: 2 Points: 167, Level: 2 Points: 167, Level: 2
Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6%

Haha only potentiators of alcohol i know of are other downers and that is never a good idea! Alcohol hardly needs potentiation unless you are a really big guy with a huge tolerance... Or just afraid of the calories haha. I have heard of people using alternate ROAs for alcohol but never heard anything GOOD about them!
Old 20-04-2012, 17:10
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Male from United States
Teknicality is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 81, Level: 1 Points: 81, Level: 1 Points: 81, Level: 1
Activity: 4.6% Activity: 4.6% Activity: 4.6%

Personally I think it might but have yet to experiment.

If cytochrome affects Alcohol dehydrogenase (which is what breaks down alcohol in the first stage of metabolism, I think) it would mean that it could potentially potentiate . I think it's likely.

If this was true doing so would cause extensive liver damage which is why I'm hesitant even to test with controlled dosages in a safe environment. Using cimetidine to potentiate alcohol is analogous to distracting your liver then twisting a broken bottle into it while it's got it's back turned .

Will report back if possible.
Old 20-04-2012, 18:09
Silver Member

Male from United States

^ Teknicality, alcohol dehydrogenase and cytochrome enzymes are totally separate enzymes and do not effect each other.

The possible potentiation by citemidine has nothing to do with enzyme inhibition. It has to do with its H2 receptor antagonist properties and subsequent reduction of the formation of stomach acid.

According to this study, it is perfectly safe to drink alcohol while using citemidine, etc., but it may increase the peak intoxication experienced due to alcohol:

Quote:
Effects of ranitidine on blood alcohol levels after ethanol ingestion. Comparison with other H2-receptor antagonists.

DiPadova C, Roine R, Frezza M, Gentry RT, Baraona E, Lieber CS.
Source

Section of Liver Diseases and Nutrition, Bronx Veterans Affairs Medical Center 10468.

Erratum in

• JAMA 1992 Nov 18;268(19):2652.

Abstract

OBJECTIVE:

To determine whether the H2-receptor antagonist, ranitidine, which is a potent inhibitor of gastric alcohol dehydrogenase activity in vitro, increases the bioavailability of orally administered ethanol (0.3 g/kg of body weight) and to compare the resulting blood alcohol concentrations with those of two other H2-antagonists, cimetidine and famotidine, the latter of which does not inhibit gastric alcohol dehydrogenase.
DESIGN:

For each of the H2-receptor antagonists, a different group of subjects was used. In each group, a paired design was adopted with each subject serving as his own control.
SETTING:

Hospital laboratory.
SUBJECTS:

Normal, healthy men aged 24 to 46 years.
INTERVENTION:

Eight men were treated for 1 week with ranitidine (300 mg/d), six with cimetidine (1000 mg/d), and six with famotidine (40 mg/d).
MEASURES:

Peak blood alcohol concentrations, areas under the blood alcohol curve, first-pass metabolism, and bioavailability of orally consumed ethanol.
RESULTS:

Relative to baseline, ranitidine increased the mean peak concentration and the area under the curve of blood alcohol concentrations by 34% (P less than .05) and 41% (P less than .01), respectively. First-pass metabolism of ethanol was decreased from 70 +/- 10 to 31 +/- 9 mg/kg of body weight, with a corresponding increase in ethanol bioavailability of 79.6% to 92.6%. By comparison, cimetidine had even a greater effect on blood alcohol levels, while famotidine had no significant effects.
CONCLUSION:

Patients treated with ranitidine or cimetidine should be warned of possible functional impairments after consumption of amounts of ethanol considered safe in the absence of such therapy.

Detailed information pertaining to the topic at hand
Old 08-05-2012, 03:08
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Male from United States
Teknicality is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 81, Level: 1 Points: 81, Level: 1 Points: 81, Level: 1
Activity: 4.6% Activity: 4.6% Activity: 4.6%

Ah my mistake then

Share this on:

Tags
alcohol, alcohol potentiation, cimetidine