Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > VARIOUS DRUG RELATED TOPICS > The euphoric body > Pharmacology
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Pharmacology How drugs affect the workings of the human body.

Old 15-08-2009, 08:21

Male
oxyhydro needs to UTFSE some more before posting.
Ouestion about using Cimetidine (tagamet) as an opiate potentiator?

SWIM recently learned that when using grapefruit juice as a potentiaor you should drink it at least 3 hours before taking any opiates to get the best results, does the same go for tagamet? SWIM hasent had a chance to test this yet but they do almost the same thing in the liver so SWIM is thinking you shoud also take tagamet at least 3 hours before any opiates. Can anyone that has tried this fill me in?

Also I'm not so good at posting in the right catagory so if this is the wrong catagory could you please tell me?
Old 16-08-2009, 03:11
Gold Finger

33 y/o Female from United States
chibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPAC
Points: 2,288, Level: 7 Points: 2,288, Level: 7 Points: 2,288, Level: 7
Activity: 10.3% Activity: 10.3% Activity: 10.3%
Re: Ouestion about using Cimetidine (tagamet) as an opiate potentiator?

Cimetidine isn't as strong a 3A4 inhibitor as grapefruit juice, plus it'll inhibit codeine activation (though I'm guessing SWIY wasn't planning on using codeine.) The inhibition of codeine activation (via 2D6) will also prevent oxycodone metabolism, though.

Point is, grapefruit juice might be a better idea, and it's cheaper.

I'm basing this, btw, off Indiana University's P450 interaction table. Nice, but doesn't go into much detail.
Old 16-08-2009, 08:27
Silver Member

24 y/o Male from United States
ninjaned is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 225, Level: 2 Points: 225, Level: 2 Points: 225, Level: 2
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

swim has actually used this and compared to grapefruit juice(in his opinion) grapefruit was a lil bit better. but if this is easy for swiy to find then try it, and let all of us here at DF know how it worked for swiy.
Old 17-08-2009, 01:35

Male
oxyhydro needs to UTFSE some more before posting.

SWIM just experimented using both and WOW what a difference! SWIM took 400mgs cimetidine with a huge glass of half grapefruit juice and half tonic water (quite a refreshing beverage on its own). Two hours later, SWIM lowered his dose to 30mg oxycodone from his usual 45mg dose, dissolved it in water along with 50mg benadryl, filtered the fillers out, and filled a syringe to administer the oxy/benadryl solution rectally. The difference was great! SWIM only took 30mg but it felt just like SWIM took 45mg! SWIM would suggest only taking 2/3 of your normal dose when potentiating with grapefruit juice and cimetidine. SWIM knows SWIM also had benadryl and tonic water (quinine) that may have also helped potentiate but SWIM always do the same thing the only difference was SWIM took the cimetidine 2 hours before the oxy instead of a half hour.

CONCLUSION: Cimetidine takes about two hours to have its inhibiting effect on the liver, as does grapefruit juice.

I will try another experiment later in the week to confirm this by only using cimetidine and oxycodone, no other possible potentiators. If anyone else has done a similar experiment with the same or different results, please post! I'm looking to get the truth about this commonly debated topic.
Old 18-08-2009, 02:39
Gold Finger

33 y/o Female from United States
chibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPAC
Points: 2,288, Level: 7 Points: 2,288, Level: 7 Points: 2,288, Level: 7
Activity: 10.3% Activity: 10.3% Activity: 10.3%

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyhydro View Post
SWIM knows SWIM also had benadryl and tonic water (quinine) that may have also helped potentiate
I posted a link to a CYP table; I highly recommend swiy look for answers there.

Share this on:

Tags
benadryl, cimetidine, drug metabolism, enzyme inhibition, opiate potentiation, tagamet

» New Threads
Addiction is a Bastard !!
Last post by ex-junkie
35 Replies, 1,646 Views
Dosage for studying?
Last post by Potter
2 Replies, 46 Views
Helping my son through withdrawal...
Last post by TheBigBadWolf
3 Replies, 101 Views
Yolanda's taper is complete -- day...
Last post by Ricky Bobby