Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > RECOVERY & ADDICTION > Drug Addiction & Recovery > Opiate addiction
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Opiate addiction Support for coping with Opiate addiction and Opiate addiction treatment.

Old 28-07-2009, 03:29
Silver Member

Male from United States
mugwump77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 29, Level: 1 Points: 29, Level: 1 Points: 29, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
why does everything smell so wretched during withdrawal?

so i tried to UTFSE but all i seem to find are people mentioning the fact that things smell and taste super strong, or just disgusting in general. this i knows.

what i'm wondering is if anyone knows the medical reason for this? or at least a site that i can find an answer to this conundrum?

this phenomenon puzzles me. all i can come up with is the not very scientific reasons: the senses are dampened for so long that the sudden return is overload.
Old 28-07-2009, 06:55
Palladium Member

Female from Earth
ex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 5,548, Level: 10 Points: 5,548, Level: 10 Points: 5,548, Level: 10
Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0%
Re: why does everything smell so wretched during withdrawal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugwump77 View Post
the senses are dampened for so long that the sudden return is overload.
swim agrees with this. the sinuses play up somewhat during withdrawals (eg: runny nose, runny eyes when yawning, sneezing even), making it extra sensitive she presumes.
Old 28-07-2009, 15:47
R.I.P.

31 y/o Male from United States
dyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 8,663, Level: 13 Points: 8,663, Level: 13 Points: 8,663, Level: 13
Activity: 11.0% Activity: 11.0% Activity: 11.0%

SWIM totally knows what you mean.

In SWIM's experience, whatever the last strong smell he smells before going into withdrawals is stuck in his nose for days. E.g. cat litter, old pasta, nasty shit like that.

SWIM is fucking going through withdrawals like every 2 or 3 days, so what he does is gets like a nice smelling towel to lay his head on. It actually helps you relax a little bit more to have a pleasant smell around you while withdrawing.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:47

46 y/o Male
stagns is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1

In a nutshell, opiates significantly depress the rhinal (and to a much lesser degree the entorhinal) cortex deep in the brain, just above and forward of the "alligator brain" named the hypothalamus, a part of the limbic system. Anyhow, any portion of the CNS devoted to olfaction, from the olfactory bulb to several different destinations, the important one being the piriform cortex, where "smell" is processed, is functionally depressed. I agree that Fentanyl severely depresses olfaction, because I too notice within 24 hours of application that all smells are much less pungent. I also notice my cigarette intake increase by 250% (because they no longer stink). Hope this helps.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Informed answer to op's question
exactly the kind of answer i was looking for. thx
Old 12-08-2009, 06:58
Gold Member

28 y/o Male from Earth
malsat really knows their shit.malsat really knows their shit.malsat really knows their shit.malsat really knows their shit.malsat really knows their shit.malsat really knows their shit.malsat really knows their shit.malsat really knows their shit.malsat really knows their shit.malsat really knows their shit.
Points: 2,708, Level: 7 Points: 2,708, Level: 7 Points: 2,708, Level: 7
Activity: 5.5% Activity: 5.5% Activity: 5.5%

Coincidence there, I was just about to start a new thread enquiring whether enhanced/altered (in an unpleasant way, yugh) taste & smell were common of opiate WD - particularly the sudden distaste for cigarettes. That was a shocker to learn about I can tell you... the only info I could find anywhere about sudden distaste w/cigarettes were statements that it occurs in pregnancy, kidney failure and hepatitis!

Glad to learn that it's just a symptom of run of the mill opiate WD's, lol...
Old 12-08-2009, 07:33
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

30 y/o Male from Earth
g666d probably knows what they are talking about.g666d probably knows what they are talking about.g666d probably knows what they are talking about.g666d probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 921, Level: 4 Points: 921, Level: 4 Points: 921, Level: 4

Swim just knew it as the smell of death. Was always the same, every time. Smelled like... death, lol. Sorry can't really be more specific, maybe like burning skin?
Swim smells it very occasionally in random moments now (swim doesn't really use opiates anymore)

Swim seconds the disgust of the taste of cigarettes. They tasted like... death, lol.

Last edited by g666d; 12-08-2009 at 07:35. Reason: ciggies
Old 12-08-2009, 10:58
Platinum Member & Advisor

Female from United Kingdom
missparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 14,968, Level: 17 Points: 14,968, Level: 17 Points: 14,968, Level: 17
Activity: 18.7% Activity: 18.7% Activity: 18.7%

Sparkles isn't sure if this is just another W/D myth, but she heard that after long term drug use substances are expelled by the body. Through urine, waste products and perspiration.
When Sparkles has been through W/D the smell of her own skin, especially during the hot/cold phase has been nasty. She could shower six times a day but that smell remained until she got through that particular stage.
Others have even commented on it. It seems much worse when she's gone ct from opiates than when she's reduced.
It could be her imagination, perhaps the thought of her body getting rid of the crap she's put into it is a positive way of justifying it.
Take care.
Sparkles.

Share this on:

Tags
alcohol, opiate, opiate withdrawal, opiate withdrawals, opiates, opioid, smell control, vicodin, withdrawal, withdrawal symptoms, withdrawals