Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > RECOVERY & ADDICTION > Drug Addiction & Recovery > Opiate addiction
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Opiate addiction Support for coping with Opiate addiction and Opiate addiction treatment.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:38

28 y/o Male
dkos is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 13, Level: 1 Points: 13, Level: 1 Points: 13, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Detoxing off Suboxone using xanax, Somthings not right, HELP

SWIM said....

I am detoxing off suboxone and it takes a while to do that so I have been taking xanax everyday for the last ten days, the last time i used this method to detox it was hell, but i just quit suboxone cold turkey and used xanax and it got really bad about the third day, which was the day I ran out of xanax, really horrible, but because of the half life of suboxone i have heard the withdraws didnt start till day three, ended up using suboxone again after 8 days (just wanted one night of sleep, that lasted a month), But I am determined to quite, and I will, I just want to know how bad it will suck, and if the withdraws were in fact from the suboxone and not the xanax, I had a pretty nasty IV H habit a few years back and got off and got productive, and am now going into the military, hence why i need to get off suboxone, but I know what opiate withdraws from all sorts feel like pretty much the same, I have even come off suboxone of higher doses in the past without losing a nights sleep, so anyway I did a taper of suboxone and it is the fifth day, and besides a few symptoms its not that bad, no where near the last time but I have been taking the xanax for the last 10 days, i have been taking 1/4 a 2mg pill throught the day, sometimes less, but now I am reading that you can go through bad withdraws from that in as little as a week, I have a bar and a half left, should I throw it out and hope that I wont go through withdraws from that, could the horrible withdraws last time been because of the xanax not the suboxone, it did seem a little different, or should i use the xanax and taper with what I have? Im really worried that I will have to go thorough that again, my mind wasnt right on day 8, does anyone know if u can really go through pretty bad wd from this short use of xanax, and the amount I am taking doesnt seem to affect me at all, i dont feel drunkish, xanax never appealed to me, just slightly relaxed, hopefully someone replies tonight, Thanks in advance

Last edited by Dickon; 13-07-2009 at 06:25. Reason: SWIM
Old 12-07-2009, 03:28
Palladium Member

Female from Earth
ex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 5,548, Level: 10 Points: 5,548, Level: 10 Points: 5,548, Level: 10
Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8%
Re: Detoxing off Suboxone using xanax, Somthings not right, HELP

swiy (someone who isnt you) should be ok, but should get some promethazine from the chemist just in case things go downhill from here. promethazine is OTC drowsy hayfever medication, and trust, it will make things a lot more comfortable for swiy if they feel pretty shitty.

also remember to "SWIM" on this forum- "someone who isnt me".

dont combine xanax with promethazine though. make sure swiy is completely out of xanax before commencing. at the worst, the rebound effect from the xanax will give swiy some sleepless nights. promethazine helps with that though.

doctors also dont mind giving out promethazine injections in the butt for opiate withdrawals, as its safe and its not addictive. the injections pretty much knocked swim out when she was detoxing. in fact, so did the tablets. this is what she accounts for sleeping every night. promethazine is wonderful.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:45

28 y/o Male

Thanks for the fast reply, swim was wondering what he should do about the rest of the xanax, swim flushed one, and kept one and a half, since it only midly relaxes him, should he taper or just flush it all and start the not sleeping? swim just doesnt want to take even a small dose for the next few days and that be worse than just flushing it all, and after this is all done, swim said he is going to give some advice on detox, because he has gone through hell like most of you, and started stopped, many times being very sick and trying different things and thinks he figured it out how to do it as painless as possible (as in this time and the time before the suboxone CD) I could get up and feel fine and go do things not just curl in a ball, and I know a lot of you will think swim must not have had a bad habit to have done that, before the h swim was doing 6 or 7 80's every, the h was more, so it is possible, and i have a low discomfort level too, but before I write all off what swim did out, one tip is ask your doc for lidocain patches, cut them in half and put them on your knees, they are nice and cool and keeps you from constantly having to adjust, keeping you somewhat sane, but swim knows nothing of benzos so any more info or ideas would be wonderful!!!!
Old 12-07-2009, 06:42
Palladium Member

Female from Earth
ex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 5,548, Level: 10 Points: 5,548, Level: 10 Points: 5,548, Level: 10
Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8%

benzos are fine to take for a week without any major concern. swim would suggest that swiy ditches them. they interfere with the "normal" sleep routine. avoid anything addictive. definitely get some promethazine, and if swiy is feeling genuinely uncomfortable still then ask a doctor for some clonidine. they are both safe (if used properly), non addictive alternatives to benzos.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:41
missparkles missparkles is nu online
Platinum Member & Advisor

Female from United Kingdom
missparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 14,965, Level: 17 Points: 14,965, Level: 17 Points: 14,965, Level: 17
Activity: 17.2% Activity: 17.2% Activity: 17.2%

Swim just wants to say well done for getting this far. Quitting is not easy, but swiy has a plan for the future and that is essential in swims opinion. It gives swiy something other than the day to day pain of W/Ds to focus on. It can also give swiy a positive (mental) edge which is also important.
Swim found that benzo W/D was nasty and was something she didn't expect to be so difficult.
Swim would get clonidine (prescription only meds) and promethazine (can be bought at chemist) and anything else the doc can give to help that is non addictive, to get swiy through this stage.
Don't leave it until swiy desperately needs it, get it as soon as possible, so that swiy has it available if swiy gets too uncomfortable. Swim knows it's easier to explain what one needs when one isn't really hanging out, and swiys doc will be able to provide some support if it's needed.
Quite a few of swims mates went back to using whilst going through W/Ds not because they couldn't cope with the physical side effects, but due to the anxiety that went with it. Having something to take the edge off W/Ds and reduce the anxiety could help get swiy through this phase.
Good luck with the plans for the future. You want it enough, you will get it.
Swim wishes swiy all the best.
Old 13-07-2009, 00:43

28 y/o Male

Went to the store to get the phenagrin but its perscription only in us, swim doesnt have health insurance so the doc isnt an option, swim took 1/4 a bar this morning and flushed the rest, if there were to be any withdraws when do they start and how long do they last, and take into consideration swim has never taken benzos so it isnt like my brain is wired to work with them like it is with opiates, unless it became wired in the last 11 days wich i find hard to believe but stories on the internet say otherwise, dunno what to believe or expect and the antcipation is killing me, and thinking bout it just makes it worse, im sure swiy knows, anything besides phenagrin OTC in US?
Old 13-07-2009, 06:33
Banned

44 y/o Male from United Kingdom
Dickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 7,375, Level: 12 Points: 7,375, Level: 12 Points: 7,375, Level: 12

I believe Benadryl (diphenhydramine - note this information is USA specific. I've read that Benadryl is not the same thing everywhere) would work similarly. I have also read that the sleep-inducing effects of these sedating antihistamines only works for a maximum of 10 days, so it might be worth timing this to the end of the taper. When quitting buprenorphine (Suboxone) it will take probably take a few weeks to be over the worst of the withdrawals. Also, don't worry about quitting the alprazolam (Xanax) without tapering. You'll suffer negligible effects after only 10 days use.

Best of luck. Think positive, and stay strong.

Dickon
Old 15-07-2009, 20:14

28 y/o Male

K here is the deal, after swim flushed the pills, the next day swim woke up and had the strangest feeling, not like opiate withdraws at all, swim could sit still, not vomiting, etc, but it felt like swim had smacked his head really hard and was dizzy and confused, swim waited for it to go away but it got worst the next day, after a small amount of sleep, the day after that, swim was feeling extreamly irrattable, like swim wanted to just break things and extreamly anxious, and frustrating because swim couldnt evn drive because his mind could not process info like it should, even basic math seemed hard, swim had a bit of a panic attack worring about the weird new symptoms, swim got a bar but only took a fourth and felt better, maybe not right enough to drive, but better, swim wanted to know if this sounds like after opiate withdraws that the xanax is helping with, or xanax withdrawls, swim still finds it hard to think that after taking it for only 12 days it would do that amount messing with my brain, but swim thinks he underestimated the drug maybe, if it is xanax how long does that confusion last? swim is worried if it got that bad again he would make dumb decisions, swim screamed and pushed someone at work and that is not like him at all, he was just irratating swim so much, swim also wanted to know if coming off a benzo with a longer half life would make it easier if this is in fact related to the xanax, thanks
Old 15-07-2009, 23:01
Palladium Member

33 y/o Male from United Kingdom
G_nome probably knows what they are talking about.G_nome probably knows what they are talking about.G_nome probably knows what they are talking about.G_nome probably knows what they are talking about.G_nome probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 375, Level: 3 Points: 375, Level: 3 Points: 375, Level: 3
Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3%

Sounds like PAWS:

http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73599

My monkey had the same symptoms on day 7 of a recent unsuccessful poppy pod detox, the same day he finally caved in.
He just felt sheer anger for no reason at all, couldn't think straight, and on top of that was really depressed.

Share this on:

Tags
alprazolam use, benadryl, clonidine for opiate withdrawal, opiate addiction, opiate addiction treatment, opiate detox with xanax, suboxone taper, suboxone treatment