Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Alcohol
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Alcohol Alcohol, including absinthe, hard liquor, beer, wine, and other assorted spirits.

Old 05-07-2009, 23:47

26 y/o Male
yossarian is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 17, Level: 1 Points: 17, Level: 1 Points: 17, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Asian flush victim here, please help!

Ok, I'm hoping to get some advice from either asians with the flush or knowledgable people. Basically, asian flush is caused by a defective gene that is unable to breakdown the toxic acetaldehyde into a harmless substance. So usually when I drink, I get red in the face, feel very hot, get a pulsating headache. So I have to quit drinking very early, before I get any kind of buzz or get drunk. Even if I continue drinking, despite the flush, it doesn't go away and I don't get drunk. Now, if this happened to me 100% of the time, I would just give up and accept that I can never drink alcohol for my whole life.

But about two times in my entire life I actually have been drunk. And it was great, I never had such a strong personality altering drug before (well, weed is the only other drug SWIM has taken before, and he didn't find it quite as personality altering). Being drunk, and the few weeks following that period of intoxication, made me 100% extroverted. I really don't know how or why I was able to get drunk those times, but it's given me hope. I'm thinking eating some kind of certain food is what will do the trick, but I don't know what. I've been experimenting on myself lately with different foods, but with no luck. Anyone have any idea?
Old 06-07-2009, 00:06
Palladium Member

25 y/o Male from Finland
psyche must live here.psyche must live here.psyche must live here.psyche must live here.psyche must live here.psyche must live here.psyche must live here.psyche must live here.
Points: 1,847, Level: 6 Points: 1,847, Level: 6 Points: 1,847, Level: 6
Re: Asian flush victim here, please help!

I don't know what would help with acetaldehyde dehydrogenase to become more active, or the enzyme braking alcohol to acetaldehyde more passive. However in SWIMs opinion GBL/GHB is a very good alternative to alcohol, even better in some ways. SWIY should maybe consider trying it instead. It has at least the same effect on extrovertness, and it is less dizzy and confusing.

By the way, SWIM is short for someone who isn't me. Self-incrimination is not allowed in this forum and can lead to ban. This rule applies even when discussing alcohol or any drug that is legal in your country, but may not be in another.
Old 06-07-2009, 00:19

26 y/o Male
yossarian is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 17, Level: 1 Points: 17, Level: 1 Points: 17, Level: 1

Ok thanks, how do I change my original post though? I was unaware it was self incriminating since SWIM is of legal drinking age in his country. And SWIM hasn't heard of that drug, and would rather try to make alcohol work since it's socially acceptable, easy to obtain and legal.
Old 06-07-2009, 00:32
Titanium Member

Male from United States
Dr.Evil really knows their shit.Dr.Evil really knows their shit.Dr.Evil really knows their shit.Dr.Evil really knows their shit.Dr.Evil really knows their shit.Dr.Evil really knows their shit.Dr.Evil really knows their shit.Dr.Evil really knows their shit.Dr.Evil really knows their shit.Dr.Evil really knows their shit.
Points: 1,653, Level: 6 Points: 1,653, Level: 6 Points: 1,653, Level: 6
Activity: 2.8% Activity: 2.8% Activity: 2.8%

Yes they aren't sure if this is true or not but people believe that there are ways to mitigate the effects.

Much anecdotal evidence suggests that ingestions of low doses of heartburn medicine, containing ranitidine or famotidine (such as Zantac or Pepcid AC), may be able to relieve the body of the symptoms if taken an hour before drinking.

They believe this works because these H2-antihistamines inhibit the function of ADH....so the conversion from alcohol to acetaldehyde happens at a much slower rate than normal thus offsetting the effects of rapid acetaldehyde build-up.

This is just theory so take it easy if you try it out.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:30
Silver Member

Male from United States
ryanc is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 171, Level: 2 Points: 171, Level: 2 Points: 171, Level: 2
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

SWIM experiences the asian flush as well.....

SWIM can confirm that Zantac does in fact reduce the flush significantly...SWIM usually takes 1 half an hour before drinking...that usually does the trick

Also, building a tolerance to alcohol also helps combat the flush. SWIM isn't saying get wasted everyday, but drinking a beer or two frequently will help reduce the flush.

As for SWIY not getting drunk a few times...thats weird. SWIM would just say the only solution is to drink a little more and see how that works for you.
Old 06-07-2009, 04:05
Platinum Member & Advisor

Male from Bermuda
enquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumenquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumenquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumenquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumenquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumenquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumenquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumenquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumenquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumenquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumenquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 9,438, Level: 14 Points: 9,438, Level: 14 Points: 9,438, Level: 14
Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by yossarian View Post
Ok, I'm hoping to get some advice from either asians with the flush or knowledgable people. Basically, asian flush is caused by a defective gene that is unable to breakdown the toxic acetaldehyde into a harmless substance....
I live in Asia and I have seen friends getting the 'Asian flush' many times. Interestingly enough, in my experience anyway, its the Southern Chinese who can't drink. Many Northern Chinese men drink a lot!

Personally, although alcohol is a pleasant social lubricant and they world's most popular drug, SWIY may feel they are missing out. I don't think so. Whilst it makes people more extroverted, it also makes them talk and act like a fools. I hate getting stuck in a restaurant where a group of men (usually) are getting drunk.

SWIM hardly drinks any more as the after effects are unpleasant for him and the 'high' not impressive. Whilst not being Asian or getting any flush from alcohol, it still does not suit him and usually avoids it. Perhaps SWIY's 'defective' gene is a positive thing.
Old 22-07-2009, 20:19
Silver Member

38 y/o Male from Singapore
trixion is a decent psychonaut.trixion is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 221, Level: 2 Points: 221, Level: 2 Points: 221, Level: 2

CoMe man...that flush is very useful. When times..people come hosting you with the glasses. One simple rejection...look at my face.."I have a lot tonight..next time..I will find you instead with my glass."

That might also give you away during a road block...REMEMBER Drive no drink or drink no drive.
Old 28-07-2009, 19:25
Silver Member

Male from Romania
Stradivarius is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 139, Level: 1 Points: 139, Level: 1 Points: 139, Level: 1

Hector isn't asian but seems to get flushy.He thinks the main cause it's that he drinks too fast and his skin is rather pale.So drinking slower so one doesn't get "the rush"(warm wave of energy from large alcohol intake in small time) should partly solve flush.

Share this on:

Tags
alcohol, asia, asian glow, drug, drugs, lush, marijuana, nicotine, weed