DXM Dextromethorphan

Old 24-06-2009, 18:04
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Male from United States
Lithiumn is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 17, Level: 1 Points: 17, Level: 1 Points: 17, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Drug Testing With DXM

Is there any reason to worry about testing positive for drugs if DXM is the only thing Swim have taken in a while. The test will not specifically look for DXM but I have heard reports of false positives. Swim probably trips once a week on 800mg doses, with his last trip being Monday night. He will be tested Friday. Is there any chance of a complication?
Old 24-06-2009, 20:50

Male
DiDia42413 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1
Re: Drug Testing With DXM

Yes and no. I mean yes you should be worried of a false positive for pcp if you have taken delsym like within 48hr of your test. That however, isn't to say that dxm in general doesnt pose the risk of causeing a false positive for pcp. But, swim has done dxm for many years through probation and has only failed a test but one time with delsym (and that was at the hospital). But, a friend of mine was warned by his PO that they were testing for CCC like it was even in his court paper work stating that they test for them and he would violate probation if he failed. The only way I can think of them being able to do that, is by testing ones bromide levels but I still cant make out how that works exsactly yet.
Old 24-06-2009, 22:48
Silver Member

26 y/o Female from United States
TheMainException is a decent psychonaut.TheMainException is a decent psychonaut.

It is very doubtful. If it is a test for a job, the levels aren't small enough to catch things like 5 day old DXM remnants. If it is a test for probation or by law enforcement or an agency, the likelihood is still small because for DXM, it seems like a long enough time for it to leave one's system. In addition, it is more like alcohol in that it leaves one's system within a few days and is no longer being dealt with by the liver. The half life of DXM is approximately 1.4-3.9 hours. So, taking the larger time frame, after 4 hours, half the DXM is already on its way out. 4 hours later, half of that is gone. 4 hours later, half of that. So, in percentages: 100-50-25-13.5-6.75-3.375-1.6875-.84375.

So, after approximately 1 day, a person's body would contain less than 1% of DXM if any. In other words, even if a person were tested 24 hours after dosing say 600 mgs, less than 6 mgs would be left in a person's body, which is less than a therapeutic dose anyway.

SWIM wouldn't worry about it.
Old 25-06-2009, 01:45
Gold Member

42 y/o Male from Poland
Sushi really knows their shit.Sushi really knows their shit.Sushi really knows their shit.Sushi really knows their shit.Sushi really knows their shit.Sushi really knows their shit.Sushi really knows their shit.Sushi really knows their shit.Sushi really knows their shit.Sushi really knows their shit.
Points: 3,671, Level: 9 Points: 3,671, Level: 9 Points: 3,671, Level: 9
Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4%

It's mentioned a few times on the forum that DXM can give false positives for PCP.
This thread contains some anecdotes and a link to Erowid's document elaborating on the issue. To sum it up:

- there's no conclusive answer
- but false positives for PCP and opiates may be possible
- these possibilities were neither decidedly proved, nor disproved yet (although this thread suggests something different)
- detection period is assessed as "3-5 days" although it would be dependent on variety of factors ("frequency of use, metabolic rate, body mass, age, overall health, drug tolerance, and urine pH of each individual")

Here is yet another thread on this subject: How Can I fail for PCP?
I don't know what could be the possible basis for DXM showing up as PCP, but for a laymen dextromethorphan (C18H25NO) and phenylcyclohexylpiperidine (C17H25N) at least seem somewhat similar (both being members of dissociatives family of course).
As for opiates, DXM is analog of levorphanol and chemically is a very close relative of opiates. Whether this could be justification of false positives for opiates is beyond my knowledge.
Old 25-06-2009, 05:56
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Male from United States
Lithiumn is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 17, Level: 1 Points: 17, Level: 1 Points: 17, Level: 1

Thanks everyone.

Swim is having the test moved to the following Monday just to be safe but does not anticipate any problems after reading these responses.
Old 01-07-2009, 23:51
Silver Member

34 y/o Male from United States
DXMBunny is captain of the psychonauts.DXMBunny is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 599, Level: 3 Points: 599, Level: 3 Points: 599, Level: 3

Swim has done 3 work drug tests now since having started using dxm and swim was did it the night before and has not came up positive for anything.... ya funny stuff swim was actually in his fun dxm hangover state during the pissing. lol
Old 08-07-2009, 08:28
Silver Member

Male from United States
seven7seven is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 156, Level: 2 Points: 156, Level: 2 Points: 156, Level: 2

SWIM made a hospital visit one time because he was trippin way hard runnin into walls and such, and he got into a fight with one of the nurses because she said someone slipped SWIM some PCP, and her "proof" was a drug test they ran on SWIM when he was admitted. SWIM knew the only thing he had ingested in the past 30 days was tussin. It is extremely likely that DXM will cause a false possitive for PCP!!!!

seven7seven added 3 Minutes and 20 Seconds later...

.....and SWIY can argue till blood shoots out of SWIY's ears that SWIY has not been using PCP, but no one will believe SWIY (the nurse said there was no way someone could be as fucked up as SWIM from some cough syrup)!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by seven7seven; 08-07-2009 at 08:28. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Share this on:

Tags
drug, drug test, drug testing, dxm, probation