Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Ethnobotanicals
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Ethnobotanicals Psychedelic plants, Iboga, Calea, Blue lotus, Ephedra, Sinicuichi, Betel nut, etc.

Old 04-06-2009, 21:23
Silver Member

Male
enhancion01 is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 67, Level: 1 Points: 67, Level: 1 Points: 67, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Smoking catnip... actually works

Didint know were to post this so this looked like the best spot seeing he couldent find anything about it threw the search.

K swim ran out of nitrus chargers and was bored...

Swim had no weed on hand so he tried some catnip just for kicks.
Swim accually tried smoking catnip a little bit ago. And guess what? Swims fucking stoned. Swim sais the catnip wasent even harsh to smoke (about the same as weed). Swim is feeling pretty relaxed right now and wants to go pass out.

Swim smoked about 5 bowls out of his bong and is ripped. Suprised as hell too. Swims not as stoned as if he smoked some good weed or anything but the effects are simmiler.... Euphoric, drowsy, relaxed... not bad.

After swim smoked he gave the rest to his cat who is enjoying it as i type this.

Anyone who sais smoking catnip doesent work obviusly hasent tried it.
Swim wouldent replace it with weed but hell... If swims got no weed and wants to relax... smoke some catnip LOL it really does work... accually worth smoking lol

Anyone else have any experiences with catnip i guess post them here...

Post Quality Evaluations:
Interesting, thanks for sharing.
Old 04-06-2009, 22:30
Silver Member

26 y/o Female from United States
TheMainException is a decent psychonaut.TheMainException is a decent psychonaut.
Re: Smoking catnip... accually works

SWIM has only tried smoking it once and the taste was so horrible she nearly threw up. She thinks she will try it again as hopefully it was just something related to virgin lungs or a bad strain or poor drying technique or some other fixable problem. That time she was unable to smoke more than a hit or two because it was so horrendous so she didn't exactly get high.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:58

26 y/o Male from United States
Mickeld should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Re: Smoking catnip... accually works

BOZO the clown bought catnip and smoked it. He was so relaxed he nearly was unable to dance around the set of his show! Crazy BOZO, crazy BOZO! But he told me before he died choking on his own squeek noise maker, that smoking it nearly makes his wig come flying off!

Mickeld added 144 Minutes and 6 Seconds later...

BOZO also told me that maybe smoking Catnip out of a water pipe or bong is the best way to smoke it. Less harsh. IDK though. Maybe BOZO needs to do more research. Stupid clown. :P

Last edited by Mickeld; 05-06-2009 at 07:58. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-06-2009, 11:42
Ethnobotanical Cannibal

Male from United States
Bajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 7,179, Level: 12 Points: 7,179, Level: 12 Points: 7,179, Level: 12
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%
Re: Smoking catnip... actually works

Please see this thread.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:32
Titanium Member

23 y/o Male from USA - Arkansas
PillMan really knows their shit.PillMan really knows their shit.PillMan really knows their shit.PillMan really knows their shit.PillMan really knows their shit.PillMan really knows their shit.PillMan really knows their shit.PillMan really knows their shit.PillMan really knows their shit.
Points: 4,486, Level: 9 Points: 4,486, Level: 9 Points: 4,486, Level: 9
Activity: 1.9% Activity: 1.9% Activity: 1.9%

Is there not a difference in catmint and catnip? I recently ordered a quarter pound of catnip for my actual cat...he lives it. So I decided to roll some up to smoke myself.

I am seeing some noticable effects as well. Kind of sedating. I left half of the joint in the ashtray just to burn and now my cat is running around the house sniffing everything.

I guess we both are getting a kick out of this lol. Anyway I know I brought up an old thread but I just wanted to add my experience report.

Very relaxing...lazy...slightly sedated. Just feeling calm and good.

thanks for bringing back an old but relevant thread in the age of synthetic substitutes
Old 16-03-2013, 14:06

Male from United States
sativa should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.

a friend of mine smoked dried nepeta cataria(catnip) a few days ago and he told me that the taste is horrible and even after brushing the mouth with tooth paste he still can feel the disgusting taste.
also Nepetalactone is a volatile oil right?!
so would it be better to use it in a portable vaporizer to get its effects?
when burning the catnip the Nepetalactone gets destroyed or not?

sativa added 2 Minutes and 8 Seconds later...

and my friend told me he felt almost any effect smoking this.
just a little relax feeling.
he expected more from it.

Last edited by sativa; 16-03-2013 at 14:06. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 16-03-2013, 14:15
About DF,Various & German
Co-Moderator

Male from Earth
Mersann really knows their shit.Mersann really knows their shit.Mersann really knows their shit.Mersann really knows their shit.Mersann really knows their shit.Mersann really knows their shit.Mersann really knows their shit.Mersann really knows their shit.Mersann really knows their shit.
Points: 2,197, Level: 7 Points: 2,197, Level: 7 Points: 2,197, Level: 7
Activity: 2.6% Activity: 2.6% Activity: 2.6%

You could try making a tea. I have done that twice before, and in my opinion the taste of the tea is bearable. The effects were not overwhelming, but because I didn't expect anything in the first place, I was surprised that it did give me some kind of effect.

When it comes to the difference between catmint and catnip, I can only cite Wiki (since I'm not a native speaker) which states with regard to catnip:

Quote:
The common name catmint can also refer to the genus as a whole.
So, probably, when we talk about catmint and catnip in this context, it's one and the same thing. If anyone has better/more specific information, I'd be interested in hearing it, though.

Thanks For Sharing This Information

Last edited by Mersann; 16-03-2013 at 14:40. Reason: grammar
Old 16-03-2013, 14:33
Silver Member

Male from United States
Willyzh must live here.Willyzh must live here.Willyzh must live here.Willyzh must live here.Willyzh must live here.Willyzh must live here.Willyzh must live here.Willyzh must live here.
Points: 287, Level: 2 Points: 287, Level: 2 Points: 287, Level: 2
Activity: 5.5% Activity: 5.5% Activity: 5.5%

It's funny how the stuff I want to talk about keep getting bumped to the current day.

I smoked a really fresh grade of catnip, dry but almost sticky like some good bud, from the health food store last night.

First I mixed it with AM-2201 and got a really "full" high, well-rounded, no noticeable anxiety, relaxed and content. But of course AM-2201 wears off fast and is unsettling to this user.

This morning 1/2 of a blunt of catnip and I had to put it down because I had stuff to do... definite stoney relaxed buzz that lasts. Clearheaded but with heady sensations, not so much a body high but definitely a suitable cannabis replacement.

I didn't notice any undesirable taste, in fact I enjoyed the taste quite a bit.

I will be happy to use this as a Cannabis substitute until the current prohibition in my state ends.

I look forward to finding out more about cannabis substitutes that are not synthetic when I have more time to do the proper research.

For Sharing Your Experience
Old 20-03-2013, 05:41
Silver Member

Male from United States
PowerfulMedicine must live here.PowerfulMedicine must live here.PowerfulMedicine must live here.PowerfulMedicine must live here.PowerfulMedicine must live here.PowerfulMedicine must live here.PowerfulMedicine must live here.
Points: 1,054, Level: 5 Points: 1,054, Level: 5 Points: 1,054, Level: 5
Activity: 16.7% Activity: 16.7% Activity: 16.7%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersann View Post
So, probably, when we talk about catmint and catnip in this context, it's one and the same thing. If anyone has better/more specific information, I'd be interested in hearing it, though.
This is true. The two terms are generally interchangeable. But the genus Nepeta contains a few hundred different species and, as far as I have seen, it seems as though "catnip" more often refers specifically to the more aromatic species of the genus. Many species in the genus have a very mild non-minty smell and I have always seen these ones referred to as "catmints".

Though it might all just be arbitrary. I would say that it is safe to assume that both "catnip" and "catmint" refer specifically to Nepeta cataria unless otherwise specified.

Also, a tea is less effective for catnip since the actives are volatile and not water soluble. Smoking is much more effective, but chewing a quid of the fresh leaves is about as effective as smoking although it is more sedative.

And in case anyone is interested, the best time to collect catnip is in the spring before the plants begin developing flowers. This is when it is the most potent. And this period is coming up quickly. Store bought catnip is crap compared to freshly collected and dried catnip. And catnip is a very common plant that grows through out North America, Europe, and Asia.
Old 20-03-2013, 15:18
Silver Member

Male from United States
Willyzh must live here.Willyzh must live here.Willyzh must live here.Willyzh must live here.Willyzh must live here.Willyzh must live here.Willyzh must live here.Willyzh must live here.

I made a 5x concentrate of catnip yesterday and laid it back on the plant material.

I did it by lightly toasting the material in a wok before I boiled them for hours and reduced it to an almost black sludge. I could tell the oils were being extracted because of the sheen of oil on top of the water. Also, I figured the method could roughly follow the procedures for making other plants with trichomes containing desirable oils water-soluble. I removed the plant matter about halfway through and proceeded to reduce the water, then tossed fresh plant matter with the concentrated juice until it was well-coated and absorbed. Then I spread all this out on a sheet pan and dried it in the oven on its lowest setting.

The resulting material smoked efficiently, tasted clean, produced a moderate relaxed high (even tingly feelings around my head and some euphoria) but left something to be desired.

I think I get a better effect from the tea. I would have to say that although the oils may not be water soluble, they do seem to mechanically separate through boiling a well-dessicated, quality material.

The effect of the tea is more akin to ingesting cannabis vs. smoking it... it lasts longer, is a fuller high, a bit more bodily and with more marked sedation and relaxation. It's hard to compare doses, but I can tell you that if you smoke any appreciable amount of catnip, those oils are irritating to the lungs like they are to the mucous membranes. I woke up early in the morning, wheezing and coughing, with a pneumonia-like tightness in my air sacs, which has since passed.

Ingesting catnip is far more beneficial to your health- it's really good for digestion and stimulating appetite.

I still have a good amount of the concentrated product that I'm gonna use strictly for tea, so the reduction and all turned out to be sort of pointless, but maybe it would make a good chew.. I thought about eating loads of it too.

How much is a quid? I couldn't get a real figure.. is that like saying, "a plug of chewing tobacco" over here in the U.S.? As in, the amount you can hold in your lip roughly?
Old 20-03-2013, 17:11
Titanium Member

25 y/o Male from USA - Kentucky
Moving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond repute

I've tried this several times. I actually had a catnip plant that I'd use for my cats. They like it better fresh, sometimes the won't respond to store bought, super dry stuff. But the fresh stuff, I'll shread it up and put it in an old sock and tie a knot around it. He goes nuts for it.

So I remember being like 13 and seeing some store bought catnip in the cabinet and rolled up two joints with it and smoked it. Wasn't bad but it didn't do anything. Then I remember trying it a few years later, same thing.

Finally I tried it with my own plant that was dried but still somewhat moist. Again nothing.

I've never gotten anything from smoking catnip. Some people swear by it, it just doesn't do anything for me.

I remember when I'd have a ton of shake from some shitty weed and I'd mix it catnip with the shake so I could roll it into a joint. That got me high but not catnip on its own.

If I'm out somewhere and see a plant for sale, I will probably get it for my cat and will probably try smoking it again but I don't have any faith in it. Not saying you guys aren't getting stoned but it never did anything for me.

From what I've read, I've heard that at best, it's "mildly sedating".
Old 20-03-2013, 18:29
Silver Member

Male from Canada
Alien Sex Fiend is on the way upAlien Sex Fiend is on the way upAlien Sex Fiend is on the way upAlien Sex Fiend is on the way up
Points: 629, Level: 3 Points: 629, Level: 3 Points: 629, Level: 3
Activity: 49.0% Activity: 49.0% Activity: 49.0%

catnip is valerian. thats what they put in valerian pills, dried catnip. brewing tea will greatly increase the dose(as well as effects). wonder what valerian dose for blood pressure? a natural benzo. wonderr what if it s mixed with alcohol?

innacurate information can be dangerous
Old 20-03-2013, 18:32
Platinum Member & Advisor

38 y/o Male from Ireland
ianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 19,649, Level: 20 Points: 19,649, Level: 20 Points: 19,649, Level: 20
Activity: 99.9% Activity: 99.9% Activity: 99.9%

Quote:
catnip is valerian. thats what they put in valerian pills, dried catnip.
No, that is wrong. If you buy valerian pills they contain valerian. Catnip (Nepeta cataria) and Valerian (Valeriana officinalis) are two completely different plants.

Quote:
brewing tea will greatly increase the dose(as well as effects)
How can making tea increase the dose?
If you put say 5 grams of catnip into a pot and make tea from it, it is still 5 grams.

Do you mean it is stronger as a tea, so you require less?

Last edited by ianzombie; 20-03-2013 at 18:43.
Old 20-03-2013, 18:40
Silver Member

Male from United States
PowerfulMedicine must live here.PowerfulMedicine must live here.PowerfulMedicine must live here.PowerfulMedicine must live here.PowerfulMedicine must live here.PowerfulMedicine must live here.PowerfulMedicine must live here.

Willyzh, there are far better extraction methods for catnip. First off, drying the leaves in a wok is only going to decrease the potency since the actives are volatile even at room temperature. Boiling the leaves will do the same. A lot of the actives will boil away. And reducing the liquid to a sludge will degrade the oils in the catnip. I found a study showing that catnip extracts have significant antioxidant properties at 50 degrees Celsius and 110 degrees Celsius. This means that the compounds are reacting and possibly becoming inactive.

It would be much better to do a simple steam distillation to isolate the volatile compounds. Or use a solvent such as ethanol, methanol, or acetone that will dissolve the actives and can then be evaporated away (or drank in the case of food grade ethanol).

By quid I was referring to quidding, which is just chewing the plant material the same way you might use chewing tobacco. I find that one large mouthful of fresh (undried) leaves is enough to get pretty good effects. The taste is very strong though. I have never tried this with dry leaves. It might work, but probably won't be as effective as fresh leaves.
Old 20-03-2013, 18:42
Space Numpty Space Numpty is nu online
Palladium Member

43 y/o Male from England
Space Numpty must mainline MedlineSpace Numpty must mainline MedlineSpace Numpty must mainline MedlineSpace Numpty must mainline MedlineSpace Numpty must mainline MedlineSpace Numpty must mainline MedlineSpace Numpty must mainline MedlineSpace Numpty must mainline MedlineSpace Numpty must mainline MedlineSpace Numpty must mainline MedlineSpace Numpty must mainline Medline
Points: 5,822, Level: 11 Points: 5,822, Level: 11 Points: 5,822, Level: 11
Activity: 33.9% Activity: 33.9% Activity: 33.9%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Sex Fiend View Post
catnip is valerian. thats what they put in valerian pills, dried catnip. brewing tea will greatly increase the dose(as well as effects). wonder what valerian dose for blood pressure? a natural benzo. wonderr what if it s mixed with alcohol?
Er....no it isnt. Funnily enough they put Valerian in Valerian pills, not catnip.

Catnip is Nepita Cataria. Valerian Valeriana Officinalis. They are not even from the same genus.
Old 20-03-2013, 18:57
Silver Member

Male from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerfulMedicine View Post
Willyzh, there are far better extraction methods for catnip. First off, drying the leaves in a wok is only going to decrease the potency since the actives are volatile even at room temperature. Boiling the leaves will do the same. A lot of the actives will boil away. And reducing the liquid to a sludge will degrade the oils in the catnip. I found a study showing that catnip extracts have significant antioxidant properties at 50 degrees Celsius and 110 degrees Celsius. This means that the compounds are reacting and possibly becoming inactive.

It would be much better to do a simple steam distillation to isolate the volatile compounds. Or use a solvent such as ethanol, methanol, or acetone that will dissolve the actives and can then be evaporated away (or drank in the case of food grade ethanol).
Steam is hotter than boiling water. 110 degrees celsius is 230 degrees farenheit, which boiling water can't acheive.

Toasting the leaves was intended to decarboxylize the material thus rendering the oils water soluble. Reducing the liquid to a sludge was to concentrate it. I don't really think the oils are degraded.

I don't really think you can say if the chemicals are becoming inactive. I smoked it and they were plenty active.

The reason I attempted this was because I smoked a bunch of catnip through a clean glass piece, scraped it, and then smoked the concentrated resin, which was way more psychoactive, requiring only 1-2 tokes. The first time I boiled down my catnip, I reduced it all the way to this consistency with a rolling boil and then very light heat, and found it equally potent to the resin I had smoked.

I agree that using solvents would be more effective, but didn't really want to go that way.

Antioxidant and psychoactive properties are two completely different properties.

Sorry, but I don't really follow your logic here.
Old 20-03-2013, 20:16
Silver Member

Male from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willyzh View Post
Antioxidant and psychoactive properties are two completely different properties.

Sorry, but I don't really follow your logic here.
Antioxidant activity means that the compound is chemically reacting with oxygen and other compounds. This means that it is becoming an entirely new compound(s) that may or may not be active. This doesn't mean that all of the actives will react this way, so some proportion of the original active compounds will remain. But there may be a loss of potency.

This antioxidant activity happens at lower temperatures as well. According to the paper I found, the antioxidant activity at 50 degrees Celsius is a little more than half that of the antioxidant activity at 110 degrees Celsius. I have attached the paper that I am referring to in case you don't believe that it is scientifically proven that the oils will degrade more readily when heated to any extent.

And there is no reason to decarboxylize catnip leaves. I am not even sure what you mean by this. I assume it is a term related to Cannabis extractions where the plant material is heated in order to turn THCA (the carboxylated acid form of THC found naturally in live Cannabis plants) into Delta-9-THC. This is unnecessary for catnip since the actives are not carboxylated. And this will not make the oils water soluble.

The longer that the material is heated, the more likely it is that it will be degraded. And this will cause more loss of actives since the actives are already slowly but constantly evaporating even at room temperature.

Your extraction method may have produced a more potent product than the original leaves, but it probably could have been much more potent than it was.

Really good explanations and patience demonstrated here
Great scientific proof against the other posters guesswork
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AntioxidantActivitiesOfNepetaExtracts-Foodbalt2011.pdf (140.7 KB, 2 views)
Old 20-03-2013, 20:22
Silver Member

Male from United States

I follow your logic.

"I found a study showing that catnip extracts have significant antioxidant properties at 50 degrees Celsius and 110 degrees Celsius"

I believe this was a typo initially and led to me not understanding you.

And yeah, I applied the logic of another plant containing trichomes with desired oils to the catnip, because I didn't really know to do it any other way.

I've gotten the best effect from briefly boiling catnip into a tea. When I get home I am going to use all of what I have left and briefly boil it with a pint or so of water and see what the difference in potency is.

Thanks for your insights and suggestions.
Old 20-03-2013, 20:35
Silver Member

Male from United States

I just wanted to add some more information.

With Cannabis, the main active compounds are not oils. The plant does contain various oils though that can alter the effects of Cannabis and are part of the reason that different strains have different effects. But THC is a solid at room temperature and a viscous fluid when warmed.

The actives in catnip are always liquid and not contained in the trichomes. While catnip does technically have trichomes, the trichomes of catnip are just the hairs that cover the plant. In Cannabis, the trichomes are glandular and secrete a liquid that contains concentrated cannabinoids. In catnip, they are just hairs.

Due to these anatomical and chemical differences, extractions from these plants should proceed somewhat differently.
Old 20-03-2013, 20:37
Silver Member

Male from Canada
Xanahalf is a decent psychonaut.Xanahalf is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 167, Level: 2 Points: 167, Level: 2 Points: 167, Level: 2
Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6%

I have tried smoking my cats catnip several times and never had any effects. Maybe I'm too big of a pothead to notice the subtle effects or something? I think that catnips effects must be VERY minor if they exist at all. I'm thinking placebo effect... I found the taste of the smoke actually kinda good and it was not too harsh to smoke but zero effects. My cat loves catnip tho and rolls around and eats the stuff whenever i let her! She kinda does the same thing with weed! If i have left over bits on my table after rolling a joint she often licks them up and kinda rolls in them. No idea if it actually is doing anything - she tends to eat most things and rolls around a lot anyway.... She doesnt go crazy for weed the way she does for catnip and i never let anyone blow smoke in her face!
Old 20-03-2013, 20:46
Silver Member

Male from Canada
Alien Sex Fiend is on the way upAlien Sex Fiend is on the way upAlien Sex Fiend is on the way upAlien Sex Fiend is on the way up
Points: 629, Level: 3 Points: 629, Level: 3 Points: 629, Level: 3
Activity: 49.0% Activity: 49.0% Activity: 49.0%

Catnip (Nepeta cataria) and Valerian (Valeriana officinalis) are two completely different plants.

sorry my bad I agree I didn't have my coffee and it clicked the wrong way in my head

Do you mean it is stronger as a tea, so you require less?

~I mean its stronger as tea, instead of pills with plant matter
Old 28-03-2013, 17:00
Silver Member

Male from United States

I did more research into this and posted a catnip extraction tek that yields 99% pure Nepetalactone.

Enjoy.

http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/sho...32#post1276132

P.S. @PM, while some of the Nepetalactone may evaporate via steam and some may be degraded, I don't think you can dispute that the reduction process yields mostly organic matter and the active ingredient.
A pinch of what I made (.2 g) seems to produce a result equal to or surpassing heating a 1/2 oz or more of catnip to make tea, and I'm more than happy with that.

Readers can make their own decision. It's simple and easy and the results are highly enjoyable.

P.S. when I boiled some of what I made last week or so back into a tea, it was strong as hell.
Old 28-03-2013, 17:49
Silver Member

Male from United States

Quote:
P.S. @PM, while some of the Nepetalactone may evaporate via steam and some may be degraded, I don't think you can dispute that the reduction process yields mostly organic matter and the active ingredient.
A pinch of what I made (.2 g) seems to produce a result equal to or surpassing heating a 1/2 oz or more of catnip to make tea, and I'm more than happy with that.
I can't dispute that your original extraction process yields mostly organic matter and the active ingredient, but the leaves alone yield mostly organic matter and the active ingredient as well.

I'm just messing with you, I get what you mean. Do you know the mass of the leaves that you used for the original extraction and the mass of .5oz of leaves of your leaves? I am curious about the strength of your extract, and it's hard to make comparisons without knowing the masses.

.5oz of the catnip that I have weighs approximately .35g. But this won't necessarily be the same for your batch of leaves. And the masses will be different depending on how broken up the leaves are and how compacted they are, etc.

I've seen that extraction that you posted before. It's very interesting and I have considered doing it myself, but I'm not sure how to dose the final product and I have had no complaints with just using leaves.
Old 28-03-2013, 18:21
Silver Member

Male from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerfulMedicine View Post
I can't dispute that your original extraction process yields mostly organic matter and the active ingredient, but the leaves alone yield mostly organic matter and the active ingredient as well.

I'm just messing with you, I get what you mean.

Do you know the mass of the leaves that you used for the original extraction and the mass of .5oz of leaves of your leaves? I am curious about the strength of your extract, and it's hard to make comparisons without knowing the masses.

.5oz of the catnip that I have weighs approximately .35g. But this won't necessarily be the same for your batch of leaves. And the masses will be different depending on how broken up the leaves are and how compacted they are, etc.

I'm not sure how to dose the final product and I have had no complaints with just using leaves.
You got me confused by this. I weighed out a 1/2 ounce of catnip on the digital scale. 14.175g roughly.

So I am assuming you mean a volumetric ounce (fluid oz.) I didn't use that in my work.

So you're wondering the weight of a volume of unprepared leaves vs. an equivalent volume of treated leaves... My cat ate all the fresh stuff or I used it. I'll have to get more.

I'd like to run a GC/MS on my prepared leaves and see how much nepetalactone was hydrolyzed to nepetalic acid vs. how much it contains (of course.) but I don't have that equipment on hand.

It is a bit harsh on the lungs, but sort of balanced out by the fact that you only have to smoke a little to get an effect.

My cat will eat the stuff I prepared, she loves it even if it is a bit crunchy. Makes sense to have not toasted it in a wok. LOL live and learn.

Due to the relatively benign nature of nepetalactone in general (is there even a known LD50 for humans?) I wouldn't be afraid to start small and carefully increase the dosing. It's highly water soluble so you could increase the volume with water for careful dosing.

What would happen if you ingested a 1/10 gram of this stuff? Probably like drinking a tea made with like a 1/2 - 1 lb of leaves... except you wouldn't od on water! Sedation and gastrointestinal stimulation would undoubtedly be quite high.

I was looking up some stuff on nepetalactone.... Interesting stuff. It's an insecticide and a pheromone. It's NOT a respiratory tract irritant or a skin irritant. It's NOT an Acetylcholinesterase inhibitor or acarcinogen.

I think nepetalic acid is a respiratory irritant, however. The stuff I have is a little harsh to smoke.

So if it's a pheremone you can add it to your cologne for a night out on the town.

Nepetalactone info:
http://sitem.herts.ac.uk/aeru/iupac/Reports/1388.htm

Hey, if it's highly soluble in water then we should be preparing it like Kava tea and not heating it at all....
Old 28-03-2013, 19:39
Silver Member

Male from United States

Quote:
You got me confused by this. I weighed out a 1/2 ounce of catnip on the digital scale. 14.175g roughly.

So I am assuming you mean a volumetric ounce (fluid oz.) I didn't use that in my work.
Oh. I was confused since you used ounces to refer to the catnip used for tea but you used grams to describe the extract. Now it makes more sense. For future reference, it is better to stick with one unit to avoid confusion and so no conversions have to be done.

Just to make sure everything is clear, you are using dried leaves for your teas and extractions, right? And did you measure the amount of leaves that you started with before you made the extract?

Also, I'm not sure where that website that you posted got their info about the solubility of Nepetalactone. It isn't soluble in water under normal conditions. I found some sources saying that 85% of the essential oil of American catnip is soluble in an aqueous solution of 10% sodium hydroxide because it becomes hydrolyzed, but the remaining unsoluble portion is mostly Nepetalactone and Nepetalic anhydride. The 85% that is soluble is derived from Nepetalactone, but has been chemically altered.

Here is a link to a book that has all this information:

http://books.google.com/books?id=VK2...bility&f=false

It makes sense that Nepetalactone would be generally insoluble in water since it has a hydrophobic structure. And I have always found that making a tea of catnip is the least effective way to use it, which makes sense if the compounds aren't very soluble in water. You could try preparing catnip like Kava, but this would make an emulsion, not a solution. Kavalactones are also insoluble in water and that is why traditional recipes agitate the root material a lot and why newer recipes often add milk or other fat and oil rich substances to the preparation. Also, heat easily degrades Kavalactones. That's why heat isn't used. This isn't as much of problem for Nepetalactones, since they are comparatively much more stable.

And Nepetalactone is only a pheromone for cats and even that is disputed. Plus, humans don't really use pheromones, so adding it to your cologne probably won't help with attracting ladies unless they like the smell of catnip or are cats, lol.

Share this on:

Tags
catnip, smoking catnip