Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Cocaine & Crack
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Cocaine & Crack Cocaine & Crack Cocaine

Old 18-05-2009, 11:34
Silver Member

32 y/o Male from United Kingdom
sky_man is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 82, Level: 1 Points: 82, Level: 1 Points: 82, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
connection between parent's Cocaine / Speed use and children's ADHD

Was unsure which forum to post this in as it covers both coke and speed, I hope choosing this one is okay.

Anyway, does anyone know of any sites that discuss studies of links between cocaine / amphetamine abusing parents and ADHD in their future children?

I've spent hours looking on Google but all I keep getting is results in the use of amphetamines to treat children with ADHD.

Surely other people, more intelligent people in the field, have considered this possibility?

Little background. SWIM's parents smoked pot from the late 60's onwards, SWIM was born in 81 and is a fairly relaxed and laid back guy. SWIM's friends always joked it was because his parents were potheads. However, SWIM's brother was born in 88 and between SWIMs birth and his brothers birth their father developed a heavy coke / speed habit.

SWIMs brother was born with ADHD. He was an absolute nightmare, even more so once he started talking and walking. Eventually he was diagnosed ADHD and prescribed Ritalin. SWIMs mother always blamed their fathers coke / speed habit for his brother having ADHD. As a result of this their father quit coke and speed. Five years later their sister was born, she does not have ADHD.

SWIMS mother suggested to the brothers psychiatrist this ADHD was caused by his fathers drug abuse but the psychiatrist refused to accept this theory, however, a nurse agreed with SWIMS mother but said that until parents started admitting to their drug habits it would probably be a while before anyone could come to a conclusion. This was in about 1993. I'd have expected more research into this but apprently not, unless my search terms are completely wrong. Also, whilst in the waiting room there were other children there with ADHD, she says she recognised the parents there and knows they had speed / coke habits.

SWIM has an ex girlfriend whose cousin has ADHD, he's a complete nightmare too even now into his 20s. His father was also used coke / speed regularly.

SWIMs mothers best friend has two children who both had ADHD as children (both seem better now as young adults although they still have their moments). Not surprisingly, their father also had a coke / speed habit.

SWIMs best friend's son, whose about 3 now, is hyperactive and throws huge wobblers over nothing. Whilst too early to know whether he has ADHD, it wouldn't surprise me. Again, his father (and the mother, although not when pregnant) uses coke / speed quite regularly. Him and his wife are about to have another baby so it will be interesting to see the behaviour in this child.

Right now SWIM can't think of any more children he knows of with behavioural problems but if he thinks of any he''ll add to this list.

So is it all coincidental or is there actually something to it?

SWIM and his mother can't be the only ones to think of this link? Someone out there must have considered it? Given that both amphetamine and cocaine have the complete opposite effect on those with ADHD, surely this suggests some sort of logical link? There has to be a reason why these drugs affect people with ADHD in this way and one could presume that their genetic makeup was altered before conception by drug abusing fathers (I say fathers because SWIMS mother didn't use these drugs and yet his brother had ADHD, although I would theorise that mothers who did use before or even during pregnancy would produce children with ADHD).

Anyone any thoughts or links?

Thanks

Post Quality Evaluations:
Good question and nice way to start a thread
Old 19-05-2009, 17:21
Titanium Member

Male from Estonia
lineartransform really adds to the discussion.lineartransform really adds to the discussion.lineartransform really adds to the discussion.lineartransform really adds to the discussion.lineartransform really adds to the discussion.lineartransform really adds to the discussion.
Points: 726, Level: 4 Points: 726, Level: 4 Points: 726, Level: 4
Re: connection between parent's Cocaine / Speed use and children ADHD

I'm not sure there would be a direct link - the only link the father has to the son is the genetic code, and cocaine causing measurable damage there is unheard of. Medically, you have to introduce science not known to man (and actually rather disproved science). The father's genetic code changing, and then changing back, simply doesn't happen.

My guess is that this is related to paternal attention during early childhood. A father with a coke habit is not going to be there for his child. A father who has quit this habit and is making an effort to change likely will. This has a clear and established effect on ADHD/behavioural issues in children.
Old 19-05-2009, 17:27
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineartransform View Post
I'm not sure there would be a direct link - the only link the father has to the son is the genetic code, and cocaine causing measurable damage there is unheard of. Medically, you have to introduce science not known to man (and actually rather disproved science). The father's genetic code changing, and then changing back, simply doesn't happen.

My guess is that this is related to paternal attention during early childhood. A father with a coke habit is not going to be there for his child. A father who has quit this habit and is making an effort to change likely will. This has a clear and established effect on ADHD/behavioural issues in children.
Since posting I have actually found an article that suggests a link between maternal cocaine use and ADHD in children and another that shows traces of cocaine have been found in male cocaine users semen. Unfortunately i cannot post these links. Here are some excerpts:

Maternal:

A connection between cocaine use during pregnancy and attention dysfunction in children is suggested in a study by researchers at Cornell University and the University of Kentucky.
The study finds that rat fetuses exposed to cocaine levels comparable to daily recreational use in humans show lasting dysfunction specifically in the area of attention. Researcher Barbara J. Strupp, associate professor of psychology and of nutritional sciences at Cornell, says the findings can be applied to humans.

Cocaine in Semen:

"In human studies, cocaine use has been associated with depressed sperm counts, low sperm motility, and an increase in numbers of abnormal spermatozoa (8,9). In vitro binding studies with radiolabeled cocaine have demonstrated that cocaine binds with high affinity to human spermatozoa, leading to the suggestion that sperm may act as a vector to transport cocaine into an ovum (2). The association of a cocaine-laden sperm cell with a mother’s egg could lead to abnormal development in the offspring. "

and

"However, these data raise grave concerns over the possibility that offspring of cocaine-using males could be impaired as a result of their fathers’ cocaine use."
Old 19-05-2009, 18:06
Titanium Member

Male from Estonia
lineartransform really adds to the discussion.lineartransform really adds to the discussion.lineartransform really adds to the discussion.lineartransform really adds to the discussion.lineartransform really adds to the discussion.lineartransform really adds to the discussion.
Points: 726, Level: 4 Points: 726, Level: 4 Points: 726, Level: 4

Interesting... but any cocaine transport would be in very low concentrations, and certainly not present for the full 9 months of development (realistically, only a few days at the start). I could see it causing disruptions to the nervous system as a whole when it first develops, but "attention" is a rather specific skill that seems to arise later in nervous development. Since cocaine from the father (I'm assuming the mother is clean) isn't present for the entire time, I don't think it's the factor.

Why can't you link to the paper? Don't worry if it's gated, many people here have academic access.
Old 19-05-2009, 18:11
Banned

58 y/o Male
old hippie 56 must think in IUPACold hippie 56 must think in IUPACold hippie 56 must think in IUPACold hippie 56 must think in IUPACold hippie 56 must think in IUPACold hippie 56 must think in IUPACold hippie 56 must think in IUPACold hippie 56 must think in IUPACold hippie 56 must think in IUPACold hippie 56 must think in IUPACold hippie 56 must think in IUPAC
Points: 1,692, Level: 6 Points: 1,692, Level: 6 Points: 1,692, Level: 6

Been wondering this for years also, research is hard to find not filled with anti-drug suggestions.

Last edited by old hippie 56; 19-05-2009 at 18:11. Reason: duh moment
Old 20-05-2009, 10:54
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineartransform View Post
Interesting... but any cocaine transport would be in very low concentrations, and certainly not present for the full 9 months of development (realistically, only a few days at the start). I could see it causing disruptions to the nervous system as a whole when it first develops, but "attention" is a rather specific skill that seems to arise later in nervous development. Since cocaine from the father (I'm assuming the mother is clean) isn't present for the entire time, I don't think it's the factor.

Why can't you link to the paper? Don't worry if it's gated, many people here have academic access.
I can't post links because I don't have enough posts and I can't circumvent the silly board software. it's too clever for me, annoyingly, when it tells me the rules on Spam and I go back, it wipes everything I've typed which is somewhat frustrating.

I'd suggest googling the following terms and you should find the relevant articles;

"maternal cocaine use and ADHD"

"cocaine binding sperm"

"Prenatal Cocaine Exposure May Compromise"
Old 20-05-2009, 21:40
Platinum Member & Advisor

Male from Japan
Benga is a true resource and beyond reputeBenga is a true resource and beyond reputeBenga is a true resource and beyond reputeBenga is a true resource and beyond reputeBenga is a true resource and beyond reputeBenga is a true resource and beyond reputeBenga is a true resource and beyond reputeBenga is a true resource and beyond reputeBenga is a true resource and beyond reputeBenga is a true resource and beyond reputeBenga is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 7,537, Level: 12 Points: 7,537, Level: 12 Points: 7,537, Level: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky_man View Post
I can't post links because I don't have enough posts and I can't circumvent the silly board software. it's too clever for me, annoyingly, when it tells me the rules on Spam and I go back, it wipes everything I've typed which is somewhat frustrating.

I'd suggest googling the following terms and you should find the relevant articles;

"maternal cocaine use and ADHD"

"cocaine binding sperm"

"Prenatal Cocaine Exposure May Compromise"
why not simply copy and paste the articles, or, better, upload the files to the file archives ?

b
Old 26-05-2009, 11:38
Silver Member

Re: connection between parent's Cocaine / Speed use and children's ADHD

So I posted a thread on this subject on a forum about ADHD in children and last time I looked it was generatig some good debate. It seems it's since been deleted. I wonder why? Obviously I must have offended someone. Thinking about it, I question as to what sort of person would take offense at such a suggestion. Then i thought, someone with a guilty conscience perhaps?

The big problem at suggesting stimulant abuse is the cause of ADHD is, as the nurse that told my mother, parents admitting their prenatal drug abuse. In this day and age no one wants to take responsibility for anything at all. So instead of these people accepting they may be responsible for their child's behaviour, they'd much rather believe ADHD was 'inherited' (overlooking the obvious question of where in the family line it actually began) or some other bullshit reason where they can lay the blame elsewhere.

I've had some interesting feedback from the National Institute of Drug Abuse in the US and they've also helpfully supplied some PDF's so when I've got a little more spare time I shall upload them to the archives.

Edited to add: how do i upload the PDF's I've been sent / found to the Archives?

Last edited by sky_man; 26-05-2009 at 15:52. Reason: Request for help
Old 28-05-2009, 06:53
Silver Member

Male from United States
100mg Methylphenidate is a decent psychonaut.100mg Methylphenidate is a decent psychonaut.

I have to wonder if in this case, the parents had ADHD and were correcting it illegally with cocaine/amphetamine usage. And then the child just inherited ADHD which it would have normally gotten without drug use during pregnancy.
Old 28-05-2009, 12:25
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mg Methylphenidate View Post
I have to wonder if in this case, the parents had ADHD and were correcting it illegally with cocaine/amphetamine usage. And then the child just inherited ADHD which it would have normally gotten without drug use during pregnancy.
Personally I wonder if my theory was a little close to the truth for someone (a mod perhaps)

One of the rules there is "Please treat others with respect- everyone disagrees with someone else from time to time but please try to do so in a manner which doesn't demean them or their beliefs. If there is a personal issue that is unresolved, please pm or IM to resolve the issue."

Deleting my thread on this subject is certainly 'demeaning' someone of their beliefs, showing lack of respect, etc. I pm'd a mod and surprise surprise, no reply.

As I said, it appears people don't want to accept responsibility, I don't think these people are even willing to acknowledge smoking and alcohol as a possible cause. They simply want to put it down to 'it's genetic' and ignore exactly what caused these genetic defects in the first place. It's insane.
Old 28-05-2009, 13:04
Ethnobotanical Cannibal

Male from United States
Bajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 7,179, Level: 12 Points: 7,179, Level: 12 Points: 7,179, Level: 12
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky_man View Post
Edited to add: how do i upload the PDF's I've been sent / found to the Archives?
FAQ - Documents

Share this on:

Tags
adhd, cocain, cocaine, cocaine use, coke, drug, drug abuse, drug use, drugs, effects of cocaine, meth, meth use, parenting, speed

» New Threads
Dedicated To Those Still Suffering
Last post by Dawn Godess
1 Replies, 66 Views
Is it safe to take 400mg of...
Last post by allme
17 Replies, 350 Views
"TweAkeR sPEak" what is your meth...
Last post by FloppyFlailer-
67 Replies, 13,292 Views
Alcohol / Benzo tolerance
Last post by benzopiated