Notices

Old 15-05-2009, 06:21
Silver Member

27 y/o Female from United States
*ChemBabe* is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 64, Level: 1 Points: 64, Level: 1 Points: 64, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Kidney pain while on adderall?

SWIM has a hormonal, crazy ass bio teacher who has given an absolutely unbearable amount of work + double exams this week . Because of this, SWIM has only been averaging 4 hours a night since Saturday and has been depending on her adderall to make it through. She has noticed that her lower back where her kidneys are located started hurting a little bit last night . SWIM has never had this problem before. To make sure SWIM doesn't overdue it during the studying, she has only been taking 10mgs every 3 hrs or so for a max of 60mg per day. Her script calls for 20mgs 3x/day so its not an unusual amount for SWIM. Since she noticed a little pain, she has been trying to down more and more water since she is wondering if the pain is due to a little dehydration and lack of sleep. When she has a week like this, she takes more vitamins and drinks a bottle of pedialyte per day for about 2 days after since she finds it helps her when shes sick. Since addy is kinda harsh on the body at times, she hopes it helps restore electrolytes. Unfortunately, theres citric acid in most of them so she can't have any right now.

Any similar experiences with the kidneys or diarrhea? Ever get a headache on the comedown too? Thanks for the feedback !
Old 15-05-2009, 08:20
Gradient Gradient is nu online
Chem|EB|DMT

Male from Earth
Gradient is a true resource and beyond reputeGradient is a true resource and beyond reputeGradient is a true resource and beyond reputeGradient is a true resource and beyond reputeGradient is a true resource and beyond reputeGradient is a true resource and beyond reputeGradient is a true resource and beyond reputeGradient is a true resource and beyond reputeGradient is a true resource and beyond reputeGradient is a true resource and beyond reputeGradient is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 12,594, Level: 16 Points: 12,594, Level: 16 Points: 12,594, Level: 16
Activity: 10.2% Activity: 10.2% Activity: 10.2%
Re: Kidney pain while on adderall?

ChemBabe,

Thanks, you got me to get up and read on the topic. Unfortunately, it appears that yes, amphetamines have indeed been observed to have some interaction with the kidneys. In case you're anxious, be aware that kidney sensations are indeed somewhat commonly reported.

Here's just two examples (of many) from another site relating a similar concern:

"I tried the 30 mg dosage for one day, and I got a weird sensation around my kidneys, like they were working overtime. Anyone else run acroos this, or know what effect Adderall has on kidney function?"

"My lower back aches, and it feels like my kidneys are being over worked.
I've been having kidney stones periodically since i was 17 years old. But never felt like this from adderall. I'm starting to wonder if my kidney problems are result from the adderall?"

In another thread, guaifenesin was suggested as a possible remedy for the sensation, though I can't attest to it's efficacy. Individuals in the thread seem pretty supportive, however.

Attached is an article of a man admitted to a hospital due to acute kidney failure following injection of amphetamines. Of course, this isn't a very good comparison; injected amphetamines are quite a different experience compared to orally ingested amphetamines in Adderall. However, the researchers highlight that twelve cases of acute renal failure induced by amphetamine have been reported. Their primary suggestion is acute tubular necrosis - but they also suggest that the vasoconstrictive properties of amphetamines may also contribute. Whatever the specific cause, there is clearly some cellular stress-related interaction.

Given the described situation, and the admirable caution taken with one's physiology - I don't think that the described individual is in any danger of kidney failure. However, the fact that one is being over-worked and stressed, coupled with the upped dosages and consequential neurochemical changes that are associated with amphetamines, is cause for some calm concern. If it persists, having a conversation with your doctor might be in order.

After reading through some of the information that I found, it seems that the regular ingestion of pedialyte might actually be significant here, and counterintuitively counterproductive. It may be preferable to ingest water alone, without any electrolytes or vitamins. I'm not very familiar with kidney function, but I would imagine that prolonged heightened concentrations of such compounds would force the kidneys to function to filter the blood at a higher rate - while the kidneys are already being recruited by the upped amphetamine dosage. Since amphetamines dehydrate the body, and decrease the concentrations of water in the body - it wouldn't surprise me that an overly nutrient-dense, hypertonic environment might be produced for the kidneys. Over a prolonged period of time, this might 'over-work' the kidneys. I'm not sure, however, that pedialyte has significant levels of dissolved compounds.

Thanks for your question, I learned alot! Hope this helps, and good luck!

Last edited by Gradient; 15-05-2009 at 20:03. Reason: avoiding a cannibal apocalypse
Old 15-05-2009, 10:12
Silver Member

Wow! SWIM is super excited about SWIY's post ! Thanks for all the info. Its ironic that this is the topic because SWIM just had an exam that was partially on kidney function (filtration, reabsorption, and the osmotic gradient). Very interesting stuff....unfortunately, SWIM's brain is so overworked from this week that she can't remember half of it -lol. SWIM is definitely gonna reread the details of it. SWIY got her really interested in it. It is so scary though because adderall has such great benefits, but the side effects can be so bad sometimes that it worries SWIM when she takes it. She has gone from using it everyday to about once every 2 weeks (when she has an exam or something in that ballpark). Now that she is not on it everyday, the comedowns can be bad when she does use her script. The kidneys do feel "overworked." Its like having really tired back muscles in a specific region, but a sharpness in the sensation (hope that makes sense) ? Let SWIM get through this workload and she will start researching more on this topic. Especially regarding the pedialyte. SWIM never considered that so when she brushes up on the details, she will let SWIY know what she thinks. Thanks for the PDF link too! Hope to talk to SWIY soon!
Old 15-05-2009, 21:16
Mercury Member

Male from United States
DaveDaPsychonaut needs to post very carefully to avoid a ban by negative reputation.
Points: 165, Level: 2 Points: 165, Level: 2 Points: 165, Level: 2

Make sure you sleep though, REM sleep processes your memory and SWS makes you rest, and if you don't remember half of it plus you're tired, you need some sleep.
Old 16-05-2009, 01:01
Silver Member

28 y/o Male from United States
Dreamland is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 29, Level: 1 Points: 29, Level: 1 Points: 29, Level: 1
Activity: 1.2% Activity: 1.2% Activity: 1.2%

SWIM use to get kidney pains when he abused adderall going on binders years ago. Anyway, SWIM would recommend SWIY to drink lots of water as well as cranberry juice. Crandberry juice can be really good for flushing the kidneys... SWIM use to feel "liver pains" when not just taking adderall, but also taking alot of anything else in excess.. SWIM has been using a product called "Liver Care" which has been a miracle for SWIM, and finds it's usage essential for this kind of stuff..
Old 19-05-2009, 19:39
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Male from United States
Rise against is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 343, Level: 2 Points: 343, Level: 2 Points: 343, Level: 2
Activity: 3.8% Activity: 3.8% Activity: 3.8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by *ChemBabe* View Post
SWIM has a hormonal, crazy ass bio teacher who has given an absolutely unbearable amount of work + double exams this week . Because of this, SWIM has only been averaging 4 hours a night since Saturday and has been depending on her adderall to make it through.
This sounds all to familiar to swim. Swim has a never ending supply of homework that he has to do by friday (today is tuesday). Swim has pulled 4 all nighters in the last 6 days and still has hours and hours of homework. So much homework that swim is going to skip his afternoon classes just so he can do his homework... and then sleep. cant wait for sleep. Adderall is the only reason why swims brain is still functioning.
Old 20-05-2009, 03:10
Silver Member

Dude, seriously, this semester has been so insanely busy! SWIM hasn't seen life outside her textbooks since February, lol. Doesn't it suck?! Hang in there SWIY, finals are almost here! Just do yourself a favor, and take small naps or one really long night. Even tho SWIY doesn't have time (SWIM knows how that goes), she's sure SWIY knows how it feels to come off the adderall after a week like that. Eat well too! That is so important......especially lots of protein. SWIM has noticed lately that when she has coffee with her addy, it makes her chest tight. It's not a big surprise since she is combining caffeine with an amph, but its a new occurrence for SWIM so she has to be very careful not to do that.
And remember, don't stress! Take a deep breath because it will all be over soon.
Good luck and take care .

Share this on:

Tags
adderall, amphetamine, kidney pain