Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Opiates & Opioids > Codeine
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 09-05-2009, 19:18
Silver Member

Male from United Kingdom
5HT-Receptor is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 149, Level: 1 Points: 149, Level: 1 Points: 149, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
What's better? Codeine or Tramadol?

What's better ? Codeine OR tramadol?

Thanks all!

Last edited by 5HT-Receptor; 18-10-2013 at 11:41.
Old 09-05-2009, 20:34
Banned

36 y/o Male
miggeth needs to UTFSE some more before posting.
Re: What's better? Codeine or Tramadol?

There is no point in taking any risks, if your frog has no experience at all, it would be unwise to take 140 mg at once. It could be fine or it could fall asleep and never wake up again. Swim has had a near fatal overdose on 240 mg codeine when still unexperienced, he woke up and just knew.

Start it on the medicinal dose, if that's fine increase gradually. 60 mg for codeine, 100mg for tramadol.

Which is better? It's personal choice. Codeine highs are dreamy and beautifully comfortable, as codeine converts to morphine in the liver. Tramadol highs are basically like a dirty weak xtc high as all the serotinin is released in the brain combined with a dirty opiate effect.

Swims advice, take all your frogs tramadol and get rid of it forever. Tell him to stick to NATURAL opiates only, which codeine is , but not for more than three months.

It'll get away with 1000 mg apap ONCE, but repeated doses will damage the liver over time. Swim would extract the codeine as the apap can also affect the quality of the buzz.

Be safe.
Old 09-05-2009, 20:36
Silver Member

Male from Brazil
matchaca is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 42, Level: 1 Points: 42, Level: 1 Points: 42, Level: 1

SWIM never took tramadol so he will just talk about the codeine. 140 mg of codeine is a safe dose but swiy will need to extract the codeine from the paracetamol using the cold water method, but since swiy have 100 mg of pure codeine and only 40 mg of codeine with paracetamol swim would say to just take the 100 mg of pure codeine.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:55

39 y/o Male from United Kingdom
popper is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 13, Level: 1 Points: 13, Level: 1 Points: 13, Level: 1

I asked my pet dog and he said take the 100mg of codeine and the 2 20/500 para/codeine and you will be fine. 140mg might give you a light buzz.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:20
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Male
nick23 is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 48, Level: 1 Points: 48, Level: 1 Points: 48, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by matchaca View Post
SWIM never took tramadol so he will just talk about the codeine. 140 mg of codeine is a safe dose but swiy will need to extract the codeine from the paracetamol using the cold water method, but since swiy have 100 mg of pure codeine and only 40 mg of codeine with paracetamol swim would say to just take the 100 mg of pure codeine.
Umm,I'd really like you to explain why her frog needs to do a cwe on TWO pills.

I'd take the codeine,hate god damn tramadol.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:20
Banned

36 y/o Male
miggeth needs to UTFSE some more before posting.

Popper, swi-the OP has never had any opiates before. Swim doesn't know about swiy but the first time he took them, 60 mg left him on the bathroom floor.

For the first month or two 16 mg gave swim a light buzz. This is the thing w/codeine.

The actual weight means NOTHING. It ALL depends on how much of it is converted to morphine by an enzyme in the liver.

This enzyme activity ranges a lot from person the person (some people don't even have it), it also changes from instance to instance in the SAME person.

Swim would say 140 mg at once for the very first time is an unnecessary risk.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:45
Silver Member

Male from Brazil
matchaca is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 42, Level: 1 Points: 42, Level: 1 Points: 42, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick23 View Post
Umm,I'd really like you to explain why her frog needs to do a cwe on TWO pills.

I'd take the codeine,hate god damn tramadol.
swim meant that usually it is wise to do cwe on codeine pills with paracetamol, but since her frog only have two pills it should only take the pure codeine ones....
Old 10-05-2009, 10:40

43 y/o Male
tyranny4u is captain of the psychonauts.tyranny4u is captain of the psychonauts.tyranny4u is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 51, Level: 1 Points: 51, Level: 1 Points: 51, Level: 1

"what's better...."

well, some say so, some say so.
tt is for codeine, your frog should make his own experiences.
btw. if your frog is a raving frog, don't let him combine MDMA
and tramadol! it might lead to a serious bad side effect, called
the serotonine syndrome. tramadol is an opioide, that, unlike other
opiates /-ides also has effects on the human serotonine system.
thats why some people prefer tramadol effects over codeine
effects. tt never liked tramadol that much. he even iv'ed it, when
he was young and stupid and greedy, but he felt a bad rush from
it, and then got some chemical high. yes, that's what tt would say
about tramadol: overdosing it for abusing / recreation gives him
a sort of being "high" that has some subliminal "chemical character"

hope that helps a bit,

TT
Old 10-05-2009, 17:18
Silver Member

30 y/o Male from United Kingdom
Censor is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 65, Level: 1 Points: 65, Level: 1 Points: 65, Level: 1

As the frog in your garden is a first-time user, SWIM would not recommend going above 60mg Codeine or 100mg Tramadol. The frog can always re-dose later if that's not enough. Be aware, though, that Tramadol can take a while to come on so your frog should wait at least on hour before thinking about re-dosing.

SWIM thinks both Codeine and Tramadol are cool, although he slightly prefers Codeine because it doesn't make him restless like Tramadol can. He also wants to advise the frog against mixing either drug with alcohol, or with each other.
Old 25-11-2009, 15:41
Silver Member

32 y/o Male from Netherlands
ponehacker is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 125, Level: 1 Points: 125, Level: 1 Points: 125, Level: 1

Yeah swim`d bee in agreeance with so many others - Stick with real opiates(in swiyour case codeine) and bury that fuckin` tramadol out in swiur back-yard, as it`s the best place for it.

Please excuse the profanity, but Swim found the adjective necessary to describe how he truly feels about tram.

Last edited by ponehacker; 27-11-2009 at 07:25. Reason: addition if swi prefix
Old 26-11-2009, 01:59
Palladium Member

27 y/o Male from Canada
I_8_my yellow crayon must live here.I_8_my yellow crayon must live here.I_8_my yellow crayon must live here.I_8_my yellow crayon must live here.I_8_my yellow crayon must live here.I_8_my yellow crayon must live here.I_8_my yellow crayon must live here.I_8_my yellow crayon must live here.
Points: 1,362, Level: 5 Points: 1,362, Level: 5 Points: 1,362, Level: 5
Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5%

Now now, lets not get hasty. Tramadol has its place in the hearts of many swimmers out there, just because swiy doesn't like it, doesn't mean he should discourage others.Tramadol has an afinity for mu-opioid receptor of 1/6000 of morphine. But it also works in other ways to increase its effectivness in analgesia. Therefore this does not mean it is 6000 times less potent than morphine.
Since there has been alot of neg rep going around lately for suggesting dosages, swim is not going to suggest a dose for codeine or tramadol. Swim wants swiy to do his own research and determine himself.

Here is a very good thread for swiy to read about tramadol, and what to expect when taking it.

http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/sho...light=tramadol

Here is a very good thread to help swiy know what effects will or may come from taking codeine.

http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/sho...hlight=codeine

Swim could posts loads of info about tramadol with many links, but un-fortunatly, it is a non-scheduled drug right now except in a couple of the United States, so alot of sites with info on tramadol, also have ads soliciting it. And sources are forbidden, so swim doesn't want to get in trouble by posting links to sources.

For pain, tramadol shows to be less effective then hydrocodone, but more effective than codeine. Tramadol is classified to many as a prodrug. Its active metabolite is
O-desmethyltramadol, which is actually a quite potent u-opioid receptor agonist. Since this metabolite O-desmethyltramadol is has a much larger afinity for the u-opioid receptor then tramadol itself, this is why it can be seen as a pro-drug.
All tramadol is, is a synthetic stripped down analog of codeine.

Personally, swim will take codeine for long periods of time, then when the ceiling dose is reached, and it is no longer effective, he switches to tramadol, and gets a nice high. But keep in mind, tramadol's analgesic effects take a little longer then codeine to set in.

100mg of tramadol is a more than high enough dose to get a feel for it. What form of tramadol does swiy have? Are they immediate release? Or sustained release?

As for codeine, swiy should make sure he doesn't have an allergy. Keep some benedryl on hand just in case. Also make sure swiy isn't prone to seizures. High doses of tramadol has been linked to seizures.

Heres another good link for tramadol abuse and complications that may arise.

http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/sho...light=tramadol

Heres another good thread on codeine basics.

http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/sho...hlight=codeine

Hope everything helps, if anyone has any questions, send a quick pm.

Happy Swimming
Old 26-11-2009, 05:37

30 y/o Male from Canada
Soletaken is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

Swim would say for your first experience be extra cautious, start low and build up gradually until you find the optimal dose for swiy. Some tips swim has is do it all on an empty stomach and use tums or another antacid to facilitate absorption, this way swiy removes as many confounding variables as possible.

As for codeine vs tramadol, in swim's experience codeine is better if swiy plans on taking one or two doses for a few hours of entertainment. To truly get the most out of tramadol swiy would need a good 12-16 hours free. Swim finds that the secondary metabolites of tramadol build up and enhance the high significantly, so swim would redose every 2-3 hours or so and by the 3rd or 4th dose swim would be having one of the best opiate highs swim has ever experienced. Swim finds the only downside to this is that the itchy sensation builds up as well, however satisfying the itch feels unbelievably amazing so it's not really a downside lol
Old 30-11-2009, 23:44
Silver Member

Male from Australia
Naked Lunch is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 21, Level: 1 Points: 21, Level: 1 Points: 21, Level: 1

Very high doses of tramadol can result in epileptic like seizures.
Swim was on a lot of tramadol for a while and its kinda across between methadone and speed in the high. long term use can make one jittery and twitch a lot and loose sleep. It definitely has a stimulant quality to it.

Its not a all bad drug in swims opinion its just not ideal. and this swimmer would take just about anything over it.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:36

Male from Spain
DaniSpain should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Points: 29, Level: 1 Points: 29, Level: 1 Points: 29, Level: 1

tramadol does feel like a very dirty opiate... if swim could choose between codeine or tramadol swim would go codeine for sure... the high is pure pleasure, and as i sayd tramadol is like a very dirty high... swim personally doesnt like it as much as codeine.
Old 02-12-2009, 22:53
Titanium Member

32 y/o Male from United States
sbt8080 probably knows what they are talking about.sbt8080 probably knows what they are talking about.sbt8080 probably knows what they are talking about.sbt8080 probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 665, Level: 4 Points: 665, Level: 4 Points: 665, Level: 4

Like mostSWIMs here, SWIM prefers codeine. He says that tramadol just messes with his head, without producing any euphoria. Codeine, on the other hand, makes him feel warm and fuzzy inside... even with a largeish opiate tolerance (his usual dose of codeine is 500mg).
Old 03-12-2009, 13:02
Silver Member

Male from Spain
RoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPAC
Points: 3,339, Level: 8 Points: 3,339, Level: 8 Points: 3,339, Level: 8
Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5%

From swims experience tramadol is too speedy and lacks any kind of euphoria.Plus, withdrawals from tramadol are the nastiest you'll ever experience.

Go for codeine, no question about it.80mg-100mg should probably be a good dose for having no tolerrance.

Robo
Old 05-12-2009, 01:47
Silver Member

Male from Australia
Naked Lunch is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 21, Level: 1 Points: 21, Level: 1 Points: 21, Level: 1

If you are very opiate tolerant codeine is useless but tramadol will still give you an effect. Swim forgot to mention this in swims last post. Swim is very tolerant and codeine is just like lollypops to this swimmer but enough tramadol will still give swim an effect.

Codeine is 100% useless for this swimmer and tramadol is less than ideal, find something else.
Old 21-12-2009, 02:03
Titanium Member

44 y/o Male from United Kingdom
anonuser30500 probably knows what they are talking about.anonuser30500 probably knows what they are talking about.anonuser30500 probably knows what they are talking about.anonuser30500 probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 490, Level: 3 Points: 490, Level: 3 Points: 490, Level: 3

Its all down to the person using and Swim, having used both drugs, would say that each have positives and negatives.

On the positive side, codeine and Tramadol take away pain. Tramadol has a duration of 6-7 hrs for pain killing effects whilst codeine seems to fade after an hour or so with pain coming back four hours later.

The 'highs' are very different but both lay claim to some kind of opiate wellbeing. Tramadol differs as the effect is a subtle speed like shifting of the gears. Codeine can make you have a flurry of activity but Tramadol is a drug you can move around on which is a bonus for Swim.

Both might be good for people working or studying but abusing the drugs would likely see a reverse of the original inspiration. Codeine is more easy to get addicted to because you can buy a gram of codeine for less than a packet of cigarettes. (i.e. generic brands of cheap co codamol)

With Tramadol, you are screwed as we cannot buy it from the pharmacist. Not many can afford to buy pharms from overseas and legit Tramadol prescriptions will run out very fast if you go back to the GP a week after getting the standard 100 50mg capsules, or perhaps 100mg.

No GP, apart from sloppy incompetent ones, would hand over drugs without checking the database on the PC which shows your last prescription and the date you took it. If Swim is given 100 Tramadols, with instruction to use 1 or 2, two to three times a day, its easy to see if anyone is using too many. Swim knows that anyone who claims to lose prescriptions, more than a few times, is flagged as abusing drugs.

Swims 100 Tramadol should last, at the least 16 days, if he used 300mg a day.

As it happens he used 100-200mg per day, and plans to have a day off soon to see what if any withdrawal effect kicks in. If its bad, worse than codeine (which is nothing really bad) Swim would be back to the GP and back on the co codamol, maybe ask for the 60mg tablets so Swim can just use 1 tablet at a time.

Last edited by anonuser30500; 21-12-2009 at 02:06. Reason: spelling and added more info
Old 21-12-2009, 17:56

Male
Quirrel is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 35, Level: 1 Points: 35, Level: 1 Points: 35, Level: 1

SWIM during a moment of stupidity, decided to snort two 100mg tramadol capsules. SWIM can say that unless you like the feeling of your nose being pulled inside out and wrapped over your head not to do this. No matter how tempted you are.
Old 24-12-2009, 03:53
Titanium Member

anonuser30500 probably knows what they are talking about.anonuser30500 probably knows what they are talking about.anonuser30500 probably knows what they are talking about.anonuser30500 probably knows what they are talking about.

You should use the search engine here before you snort anything. Really you should!

Tramadol is reported as pretty nasty to snort and a waste of time as the effects do not seem to be any more pronounced. A testimony bore out by the numbers who snort once only!

Contrast that to E which always nasty to snort but people kept snorting it!

Swims 'experiment' with Tramadol continues but only with 50mg and 100mg doses eaten as they come in 50mg Zydol Tramadol phosphate capsules.

Having had a couple of days off Swim is back on and imagines he will be using for the duration of Christmas. Not recreationally as such but Swim might be feeling that way anyway as Tramadol certainly feels like a drug. 50mg today taken in the late AM and 100mg about 5.00pm and Swim still feels it coming down now about ten hours later!

It is a totally synthetic opioid with some 'added special bonus' and 'plus, more extra value kick'. Its not just an opioid.

Codeine is just codeine, does what it does in a simple no nonsense manner. It is a basic opiate and the very poor cousin of Ms Heroin.

Codeine is a 'quick fix' in that it quickly fixes headaches, pain and the general day to day stress that many use it for. A kind of instant anti depression on a level so low it does not lead to the classic 'crash' of other drugs. If you are cautious with codeine, you can take it for years with little issue. One off daily use, maybe the odd evening curer, is ideal. Not building up tolerance is the key.

For pain its a take as you need drug - liable to work very fast for the most part. Swim can often feel a tablet coming on ten mins after popping it. It is fast unlike Tramadol which takes a good hour for the full effect, maybe half an hour for it to make itself known shyly at first.

Codeine is better than any street drugs mainly due to the certainty of the purity of product. Street powders, or pills, who knows what is in there?

Tramadol is not codeine. Same effect for taking away pain but as stated its got added bonus which is makes the addictive nature of the drug more complicated than plain codeine.

For long term use, Swim suspects codeine will come out the winner for Swim. The thought of being on Tramadol too long is not a settling thought. That said, Swim can always get codeine cheap enough as he needs it, but Tramadol could not be bought over the counter. Buying it online would be silly given the NHS will supply it for free if your a pensioner or unemployed or low waged or a minimal charge if you work which works out pennies a capsule.

What would you do if presented with a choice of co codamol 30/500, 100 = 12 days supply or 100 Tramadol 50mg capsules, 16 days supply?

Last edited by anonuser30500; 24-12-2009 at 04:00. Reason: more info added
Old 26-12-2009, 02:20
Titanium Member

Swim has growing reservations about Tramadol, which he has only used for 15 days or so.

Before that, Swim used codeine, in the form of co-codamol, for 15 years with no real issues. He has used CWE for maybe 6 month, again with no issues.

Tramadol, so far, has been good and bad and Swim is learning more each day he takes it. Today Swim took 300mg, through the day, and just about managed to see off a headache which Swim suspects might be made worse by smaller amounts of Tramadol.

Codeine cuts through most headaches like a knife through butter for Swim. So, Swim was hoping that Tramadol did the same. So far, though he has to experiment some more, it seems that 100mg or less can exasperate and worsen a headache. This has happened on three occasions were a dose of 50mg-100mg in the late AM made the headache a LOT worse. To the point were it was a case of lie down with the lights off and curtains closed.

Swim noticed 150mg of Tramadol dealt with a headache but that much Tramadol hinders eating and might be too much for Swim to deal with on a daily basis.

As stated before by Swim, Tramadol does have a subtle speed like reaction and using this before bedtime might mean your up most of the night. Unlike speed, its not going to make you drink a lot, and it would be dangerous to drink too much with this drug.

Swim is not sure whether he will get Tramadol again for the next prescription or the codeine. He would be risking addiction with Tramadol but with codeine the Swim reports no problems, and less so with CWE methods to rid the paracetamol from the 30/500 tablets.

Codeine is better for all round pain relief though. Swims used it for headaches with magnificent success. Headaches from hell are tamed to some niggling easy to handle headache. Small to medium headaches can be banished.

For back pain, codeine might not be as effective as Tramadol, but that might make it more dangerous as you might exercise more than is good for you. Codeine hits back pain within 10 minutes or so and allows you to feel pain a couple of hours later, 2-4 hours or so. This ensures you will not overdo things.

One other feature about Tramadol which is worth a mention to gentlemen out there would be its use in preventing premature ejaculation. Yes, Swim knows, you never had that trouble, lol, but some do prescribe Tramadol for that purpose at the lower dosages. Surprising that its not sold as such as there are many snake oil products that supposedly delay reaction.

Anyhow, it would be good if any other Swimmers out there described their experiences using Tramadol or codeine. Swim would be really interested as he is undecided so far about what drug he should get prescribed.

As for recreational use of Tramadol, Swim will post something up as he likely takes 200mg due to walking on the bloody ice and snow, which is hard going.
Old 25-01-2010, 23:29
Banned

Male
Dr_Janus is an unknown quantity at this point

Tramadol

Works like a charm for swim! 100 times more effective than codeine for him. He gets no effects for codeine at all, whereas tramadol feels warm, fuzzy and a nice clean opioid high.
Old 01-01-2011, 00:55
Silver Member

Female from United States
Sassy88 is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 43, Level: 1 Points: 43, Level: 1 Points: 43, Level: 1
Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3%

My pet ferret agrees asking 'which is better' is truly subjective. As someone already pointed out, they each have their positives and negatives.

My pet ferret has taken both ( not together ) at various times, under various circumstances. She concludes tramadol is the drug that can least interfere with her everyday activities. Moving around does not cause the nausea and dizziness of codeine. However, it's true the euphoria is better with codeine. But the 'good buzz' lasts longer with tramadol, not codeine. In the US ( where codeine is not OTC ) tramadol is easier to get than codeine. Elsewhere in the world, codeine may be easier to get. So it goes back and forth

Those who cry 'trams are total crap' should remember- to each his own. Believe it or not, many people think codeine is 'pure crap' as opposed to hydrocodone....or oxycodone....or whatever. You get the idea.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:32

57 y/o Male from France
Plush is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1

My badger gets a very sweet cozy feeling from 40mg of codeine (16 years now of 40-80mg per day, on and off, yes it's a problem.) That gentle cozy feeling is all he ever wanted from it - not to get high or out of it. Tried tramadol for a week (it was a few years ago but thinks it was 50mg tablets, one and sometimes two per day) which made him feel jittery and "strange", muddy, very different from codeine and unpleasant for him. The only good thing about that tramadol week was that it forced him to wonder why he was doing this.
Old 15-06-2012, 22:04
Silver Member

28 y/o Male from Russia
Hamish is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 27, Level: 1 Points: 27, Level: 1 Points: 27, Level: 1
Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4%

In swim's opinion, tramadol have a weaker and less pleasant, fuzzy-warm high than high doses of codeine, but it's a lot longer. Though, i won't recomend it over codeine, since it have a lot of drug interactions, side effects and also risk of seizure when taken over 400mg, which i had three times, one of them i just luckily haven't fallen on railway before a train. I never took over 600mg of it, and taken it like ~20 times overall (3 of them, i remind, ended with seizures).

The things it's good at is easing withdrawals from other opiates, since it lasts long, though i would prefer methadone over it, and, of course, dealing with pain, which it does just great.

Hamish added 7 Minutes and 16 Seconds later...

I forgot to mention this post was entirely a quote from e-mail i recieved a few days ago, i thought it contains useful info for this forum.

Last edited by Hamish; 15-06-2012 at 22:04. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Share this on:

Tags
codeine, codeine combinations, codeine comparison, codeine dosage, codeine first time, snorting drugs, tramadol, tramadol abuse, tramadol alternatives, tramadol combination, tramadol combinations, ultram