Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > SOCIAL FORUMS > Social Forums > Drug culture
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Drug culture About drug icons, drug idols, drug related literature, music, movies, art, conferences & festivals

Old 23-04-2009, 11:23
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Male from United States
cobetcknncoio3 is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 121, Level: 1 Points: 121, Level: 1 Points: 121, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
fear and loathing in las vegas drugs?

could anyone list all the drugs they do in the movie, fear and loathing in las vegas? just out of curiosity. thanks
Old 23-04-2009, 17:37
Silver Member

Female from United States
ScorpioSunshine is a decent psychonaut.ScorpioSunshine is a decent psychonaut.
Re: fear and loathing in las vegas drugs?

Quote:
we had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get into locked a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can. The only thing that really worried me was the ether. There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge, and i knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon.
hth! :=)
Old 23-04-2009, 17:49
R.I.P.

Male
honourableone really knows their shit.honourableone really knows their shit.honourableone really knows their shit.honourableone really knows their shit.honourableone really knows their shit.honourableone really knows their shit.honourableone really knows their shit.honourableone really knows their shit.honourableone really knows their shit.honourableone really knows their shit.
Points: 2,282, Level: 7 Points: 2,282, Level: 7 Points: 2,282, Level: 7

I don't think they ever did any cocaine because gonzo let it all blow away at the start... And you can't forget the adrenochrome + it's made up effects. I think quite a few drugs are mentioned as being in their possession that you never actually see them take.
Old 23-04-2009, 23:47

Male from United States

lol imagine if they had ecstasy back then
Old 23-04-2009, 23:52
Banned

26 y/o Male
its just a ride needs to UTFSE some more before posting.

or some dxm lol
Old 26-04-2009, 05:52

Male from United States

lmao they probly would have taken everything at once
Old 26-04-2009, 06:42

Male from South Africa
chuchu is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 29, Level: 1 Points: 29, Level: 1 Points: 29, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by honourableone View Post
I don't think they ever did any cocaine because gonzo let it all blow away at the start... And you can't forget the adrenochrome + it's made up effects. I think quite a few drugs are mentioned as being in their possession that you never actually see them take.
they did cocaine again when duke goes to cover the police meeting at the hotel he snorts coke while reclining in his car. He then enters the hotel lobby with some coke still on his nose. Surely you must remember this scene i almost pissed myself the first time i saw it.
Old 28-04-2009, 06:55

Male from United States

i don't remember that part... i thought he was just on mescaline at the police meeting.
Old 28-04-2009, 07:36
Silver Member

Male
kaczynski is a decent psychonaut.

Just read the book. It's worth the read to get the full list. But remember: Duke does =/= Thompson.

Last edited by kaczynski; 28-04-2009 at 18:29.
Old 29-04-2009, 01:56
Silver Member

Female from United States
ScorpioSunshine is a decent psychonaut.ScorpioSunshine is a decent psychonaut.

^^Agreed. The book is awesome.
Old 29-04-2009, 04:12

Male from Canada
doppey is a decent psychonaut.doppey is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 172, Level: 2 Points: 172, Level: 2 Points: 172, Level: 2

^^^^ His other books are also worth checking out.
Old 29-04-2009, 04:27
Silver Member

Male
kaczynski is a decent psychonaut.

^^^ read the Rum Diary. not only is it a great novel but it's soon going to be made into a film once again starring Johnny Depp. SWIM doesn't know what the movie will be like but the novel is a great read and Hunter wrote it when he was only 22 years old.

Last edited by kaczynski; 30-04-2009 at 00:43.
Old 30-04-2009, 12:42
Palladium Member

Male from Earth
Rightnow289 really knows their shit.Rightnow289 really knows their shit.Rightnow289 really knows their shit.Rightnow289 really knows their shit.Rightnow289 really knows their shit.Rightnow289 really knows their shit.Rightnow289 really knows their shit.Rightnow289 really knows their shit.Rightnow289 really knows their shit.
Points: 4,315, Level: 9 Points: 4,315, Level: 9 Points: 4,315, Level: 9
Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5%

I watched this yesterday but only caught the last hour.

They do cocaine numerous times in the film, they do ether, mescaline, LSD (obviously), crystal meth or crack? and also adrenochrome which I believe does not exist
Old 30-04-2009, 16:03
R.I.P.

Male
honourableone really knows their shit.honourableone really knows their shit.honourableone really knows their shit.honourableone really knows their shit.honourableone really knows their shit.honourableone really knows their shit.honourableone really knows their shit.honourableone really knows their shit.honourableone really knows their shit.honourableone really knows their shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkhead23 View Post
also adrenochrome which I believe does not exist
There is a thread about it somewhere. Basically, it does exist, but in reality it is just a stimulant with limited recreational potential.

Adrenochrome report

Adrenochrome.... real?
Old 04-05-2009, 03:44
R.I.P.

Male from United States
EyesOfTheWorld really adds to the discussion.EyesOfTheWorld really adds to the discussion.EyesOfTheWorld really adds to the discussion.EyesOfTheWorld really adds to the discussion.EyesOfTheWorld really adds to the discussion.EyesOfTheWorld really adds to the discussion.EyesOfTheWorld really adds to the discussion.
Points: 2,267, Level: 7 Points: 2,267, Level: 7 Points: 2,267, Level: 7

Read the book, so much better. One thing i hate about the 25 and under drug crowd is they all claim to love HST but ask them what their favorite book besides Vegas is and 90% of the time you get a blank stare.
Not that I don't love the movie, i think i have watched it more times than any other movie, ever. Let's see....
Mescaline
LSD
Ether
Adrenochrome
Cocaine
Poppers (Amyls, the good shit)
Alcohol
cannabis
hash
DMT (not specifically mentioned but seems to be what Duke is smoking from the light bulb, as immediately after hitting it he goes into hallucinations/flashbacks)
Various pharmaceuticals especially Reds (Seconal)
Heroin is mentioned and joked about but i don't recal it being used.
Old 04-05-2009, 18:11
Palladium Member

24 y/o Male from United States
EscapeDummy must mainline MedlineEscapeDummy must mainline MedlineEscapeDummy must mainline MedlineEscapeDummy must mainline MedlineEscapeDummy must mainline MedlineEscapeDummy must mainline MedlineEscapeDummy must mainline MedlineEscapeDummy must mainline MedlineEscapeDummy must mainline MedlineEscapeDummy must mainline MedlineEscapeDummy must mainline Medline
Points: 3,452, Level: 8 Points: 3,452, Level: 8 Points: 3,452, Level: 8
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by honourableone View Post
Why the hell did they put that in? I mean, it's one thing to just include it, but they referred to is as making "mescaline feel like ginger beer". Why include such an obviously fabricated drug?

EscapeDummy added 0 Minutes and 30 Seconds later...

edit: yeah I'm aware it's real, but it doesn't do ANYTHING like what they said, not to mention real mescaline is probably a million times more powerful.

Last edited by EscapeDummy; 04-05-2009 at 18:11. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-05-2009, 18:43
R.I.P.

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeDummy View Post
Why the hell did they put that in? I mean, it's one thing to just include it, but they referred to is as making "mescaline feel like ginger beer". Why include such an obviously fabricated drug?

EscapeDummy added 0 Minutes and 30 Seconds later...

edit: yeah I'm aware it's real, but it doesn't do ANYTHING like what they said, not to mention real mescaline is probably a million times more powerful.
I agree that it would probably have been better to completely make it up to such an extent, but you have to keep in mind that it is still fiction, albeit fiction based on true events. A lot of things are like that, for example the LSD induced lizard orgy, and a Z carved into Duke's head that disapears into the next scene. Though for me, the adrenochrome bit is the only falsehood that has a negative impact on the film.
Old 10-05-2009, 16:42
Banned

49 y/o Male from United States
sirmoonie needs to UTFSE some more before posting.

There was evidence in this room, of excessive consumption of almost every type of drug known to civilized man since 1544 A.D. It could only be explained as a montage.
Old 10-05-2009, 18:03
Silver Member

26 y/o Male from United Kingdom
Fango is captain of the psychonauts.Fango is captain of the psychonauts.Fango is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 332, Level: 2 Points: 332, Level: 2 Points: 332, Level: 2

"We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get into locked a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can. The only thing that really worried me was the ether. There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge, and I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon."

Thats the list he gives. Im pretty sure they did everything, Im pretty sure they got stuff from dealers too.
Old 10-05-2009, 18:50
Silver Member

24 y/o Male
dmtHELLA is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 245, Level: 2 Points: 245, Level: 2 Points: 245, Level: 2

Personally I love the book and movie but it reminds me far too much of bad times on drugs. So with the love comes discomfort. The movie is art.
Old 10-05-2009, 19:09
Palladium Member

Male from Earth
Rightnow289 really knows their shit.Rightnow289 really knows their shit.Rightnow289 really knows their shit.Rightnow289 really knows their shit.Rightnow289 really knows their shit.Rightnow289 really knows their shit.Rightnow289 really knows their shit.Rightnow289 really knows their shit.Rightnow289 really knows their shit.
Points: 4,315, Level: 9 Points: 4,315, Level: 9 Points: 4,315, Level: 9
Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fango View Post
"We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get into locked a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can. The only thing that really worried me was the ether. There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge, and I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon."

Thats the list he gives. Im pretty sure they did everything, Im pretty sure they got stuff from dealers too.
We don't see them take all them drugs though do we?
Old 10-05-2009, 19:51
Palladium Member

Male from United States
Desertfox must live here.Desertfox must live here.Desertfox must live here.Desertfox must live here.Desertfox must live here.Desertfox must live here.Desertfox must live here.
Points: 1,163, Level: 5 Points: 1,163, Level: 5 Points: 1,163, Level: 5

SWIMMERS who enjoyed Fear and loathing should check out Where the Buffalo's Roam with Bill Murray playing the late great Thompson. This movie is a lot different than Vegas, and has a lot less drugs but the Bathroom scene where Hunter talks to nixon while changing his clothes is a classic must-see, especially for the line where nixon says "Fuck the Damned"
Old 11-05-2009, 03:26
R.I.P.

Male from United States
EyesOfTheWorld really adds to the discussion.EyesOfTheWorld really adds to the discussion.EyesOfTheWorld really adds to the discussion.EyesOfTheWorld really adds to the discussion.EyesOfTheWorld really adds to the discussion.EyesOfTheWorld really adds to the discussion.EyesOfTheWorld really adds to the discussion.
Points: 2,267, Level: 7 Points: 2,267, Level: 7 Points: 2,267, Level: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertfox View Post
SWIMMERS who enjoyed Fear and loathing should check out Where the Buffalo's Roam with Bill Murray playing the late great Thompson. This movie is a lot different than Vegas, and has a lot less drugs but the Bathroom scene where Hunter talks to nixon while changing his clothes is a classic must-see, especially for the line where nixon says "Fuck the Damned"

Nah................Murray played Dr. Thompson perfectly but the movie sucked. HST himself hated it.
Old 11-05-2009, 18:39
Banned

49 y/o Male from United States
sirmoonie needs to UTFSE some more before posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyesOfTheWorld View Post
Read the book, so much better. One thing i hate about the 25 and under drug crowd is they all claim to love HST but ask them what their favorite book besides Vegas is and 90% of the time you get a blank stare.
Quoted for truth and accuracy. Blank stare indeed. I found that to be a significantly annoying problem among my fraternity brothers. Most of them never read it either, it was more famous for one or two select quotes, the famous one being predictably recited in this thread. The few that had read it didn't seem to have the reaction to it that I did either, I never found it to be a recount of how fucked up you can get over a Vegas week. Maybe I'm wrong. Anyway, he wrote a lot more.....

P.S. those 25 and unders are now 45 and unders, and still missing the boat.
Old 11-05-2009, 19:03
Gold Member

Male from USA - Pennsylvania
bcubed must think in IUPACbcubed must think in IUPACbcubed must think in IUPACbcubed must think in IUPACbcubed must think in IUPACbcubed must think in IUPACbcubed must think in IUPACbcubed must think in IUPACbcubed must think in IUPACbcubed must think in IUPACbcubed must think in IUPAC
Points: 2,765, Level: 7 Points: 2,765, Level: 7 Points: 2,765, Level: 7
Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3%

Quote:
Heroin is mentioned and joked about but i don't recall it being used.
In the book, anyway, I believe Duke recommends it to Dr. Gonzo for his bad trip (the one where he wants to toss the radio into the tub), but I don't recall if he's speaking hypothetically or not.

Loved the book; loved the movie. Recall having to drive ~70 miles to see it, though, 'cause the NM town I was living in at the time had ONE theater...that was owned by Mormons.

Share this on:

Tags
adrenochrome, drug culture