Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Opiates & Opioids > Codeine
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 12-04-2009, 21:38
Banned

24 y/o Male from Canada
apiffini is learning how to become a psychonaut.
doxylamine succinate

SWIM recently had some Tylenol 3 prescribed for pain and now feels like going out and buying Mersyndol and doing some CWE. SWIM had made a post in another topic about Mersyndol being better than T1 due to the lack of caffeine, which in SWIM's opinion is an ingredient that makes the high severely unpleasant at high doses.

Someone who doesn't post on here informed SWIM that they read somewhere that the other ingredient in Mersyndol, doxylamine succinate, can eat away at muscle tissue at high doses.

SWIM wants to know if anyone who isn't you knows this to be true or can provideo more information such as what dose would it become hazardous to your health
Old 02-05-2009, 06:59
Silver Member

50 y/o Male from Canada
Hover is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 111, Level: 1 Points: 111, Level: 1 Points: 111, Level: 1
Activity: 4.3% Activity: 4.3% Activity: 4.3%
Re: doxylamine succinate

Quote:
Originally Posted by apiffini View Post
SWIM recently had some Tylenol 3 prescribed for pain and now feels like going out and buying Mersyndol and doing some CWE. SWIM had made a post in another topic about Mersyndol being better than T1 due to the lack of caffeine, which in SWIM's opinion is an ingredient that makes the high severely unpleasant at high doses.
SWIY can buy Mersyndol OTC in this country?

Quote:
Someone who doesn't post on here informed SWIM that they read somewhere that the other ingredient in Mersyndol, doxylamine succinate, can eat away at muscle tissue at high doses.
It can also eat at one's sanity at high doses. OD'ing on doxylamine is just as bad as OD'ing on diphenhydramine: it is potentially fatal and requires ER care for IV administration of barbiturate anti-convulsive's to treat uncontrollable muscle shocks that contort face and send arm, legs and even head jerking in all directions, or a back gets "locked" in arched position, teeth clenched, making the victim look like a human bridge.

Still interested? Unless SWIY has access to strong barbiturates at home (Seconal, Nembutal etc) and someone sober to give him two doses when he goes berzerk from jerking and wants to swallow 4 or 5 Seconal capsules (which would kill SWYI as sure as a gun) to get some relief. Even the strongest Benzos are of no use for this conddition. SWIY is strongly adivsed to stay away from anything requiring large intake of doxylamine.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:30
Silver Member

Male from Australia
skips is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 103, Level: 1 Points: 103, Level: 1 Points: 103, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Swim has taken up to 150mg of doxylamine succinate at a time to get to sleep (from otc sleep aids), and never felt anything but a little tired from it, and was told by a pharmacist (and instructions on the box) that doses of up to 100mg/day are safe therapeutic doses. Swim thinks that because mersyndol only contains 5mg of doxylamine succinate per tab it would be quite safe unless swiy were planning some pretty big doses. Swim has also heard doxylamine succinate acts as a opiate potentiator as well(not 100% on this).

swim thinks you would have to consume ALOT more than 100mg to experience any effects described in the above post
Old 08-05-2009, 03:52
Banned

24 y/o Male from Canada
apiffini is learning how to become a psychonaut.

well that's a relief to hear. and yea doxylamine is similar to promethazine and diph so it adds to the affect but if u have too much you'll fall asleep
Old 15-05-2009, 15:27
Silver Member

50 y/o Male from Canada
Hover is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 111, Level: 1 Points: 111, Level: 1 Points: 111, Level: 1
Activity: 4.3% Activity: 4.3% Activity: 4.3%

Quote:
Originally Posted by skips View Post
swim thinks you would have to consume ALOT more than 100mg to experience any effects described in the above post
Quite a lot more indeed but caution must be exercised especially with regards to interaction with other drugs.

Contrary to popular belief toxic OD symptoms with early-generation antihistamines don't typically result in excessive sedation, unlike most "true" sedatives. Symptoms of antihistamine CNS toxicity are due to their lowering of the seizure threshold, not CNS depression.

What makes these substances so dangerous at high dose is that the seizure threshold varies a lot from one individual to the next, and even within a same individual there are variations depending on health, age and more insidious, interaction with other drugs. That's the reason why phenothiazines are often administered concomitantly with anti-seizure drugs. Phenothiazines, a drug family which comprises promethazine and thorazine, are closely related to the sedating first-generation antihistamines.

Hover added 11 Minutes and 37 Seconds later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by apiffini View Post
well that's a relief to hear. and yea doxylamine is similar to promethazine and diph so it adds to the affect but if u have too much you'll fall asleep
No he won't and Swim hopes Swiy won't find out the hard way. The three drugs Swiy mentions all cause overstimulation and seizures at toxic doses. If Swiy wants to take a chance he is strongly advised to have quick-acting anticonvulsant medicines such as bromazepam or alprazolam at the ready, and a sober friend with him because Swiy won't be able to formulate logical thoughts and will have impaired muscle control if he OD's on those drugs.

Last edited by Hover; 15-05-2009 at 15:27. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 19-09-2011, 19:07

Male from United Kingdom
Droog should review received reputation comments.
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1

Maximum safe dose of doxylamine is 50mg per 24 hours.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Backing up this one-liner with actual citations/evidence would be a preferable choice to enrich this thread.
Old 20-09-2011, 05:45

23 y/o Male from Australia
mseb is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 19, Level: 1 Points: 19, Level: 1 Points: 19, Level: 1

You can buy myrcendol OTC in Australia in boxes of 36. The day strength has no doxy amine but only paracetomol and codeine . a cwe was performed on this and found it didn't come out completely clear due to the yellow die. But the paracetomol was removed

mseb added 3 Minutes and 57 Seconds later...

Also , having up to 8 RESTAVIT in one night, an OTC sleeping aid sold in Australia contains 25mg of doxylamine succinate per tablet this equals about 200 mg in about 4 hours did no harm whatsoever. The body builds a high tolerance quickly to doxylamine though

Backing up the contents of this post with scientific evidence would have improved its worth in this thread.

Last edited by mseb; 20-09-2011 at 05:45. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-07-2012, 16:08
Silver Member

Male from Australia
skitta78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1

This thread is old but Ill add what I know about this. I some years ago at a low low point in my life decided Id go for a long nap with the aid of this drug (suicide). I purchased OTC 2 boxes of Restavit and then later consumed about 40 25mg tabs along with a bottle of bourbon (40 empty pill packs counted by ambulance at the scene).
At first I was very sleepy but then I became quite euphoric and delirious. I waited a few hours but I only felt a mood lift and began to hallucinate. Since I was not dying and did not think I was about to I called the poisons information hotline and told the operator what I had done and asked what to expect. She was extremely concerned as you would guess and urged me to get to hospital or risk permanent brain damage. That worried me as it kinda dawned on me then that I had no idea what the drug would do and that a simple OTC sleeping pill OD was going to be a simple easy death. The thought of being a vegetable was worse than living in the depression I was trying to escape from to begin with so I called an ambulance. I was actually in my car at the time parked in a dark carpark next to a sporting field late at night. The ambulance was called and in the mean time I continued to trip out and began to enjoy the music I was listening to, very much. I began to worry about the ambulance showing up for some reason and decided to drive away (stupidity driving so intoxicated) to a new place to "chill". I was obviously delirious and confused but I was also feeling the best mood I had in weeks. Now parked a suburb away off the road and behind a bush I was safe from anyone looking for me except I was unaware that I was being tracked by the ambo's which somehow located me to the exact point I was hiding. They must have been able to do so with my mobile phone. So they come over to me and ask my name what I was doing and if I was ok. At the time it seemed like I was being interrogated by the police except I knew that I could get away and not be chased so I again stupidly drove off. Now the effects were getting much more intense. I was having strong visual hallucinations and still lots of euphoria. The brain damage advice the operator mentioned was still scaring me and the ambo's hunting me around town was still a concern but honestly at this point I was having a good time all that aside. I decided hospital was a must visit as no good time is worthy of being retarded permanently and I was not calling another ambulance to stalk me (infact Id taken the battery and sim card out of my phone by this time incase they were looking for me).
I got to the ambulance car park in one piece were I sat and listened to more of the music I was so enjoying. It was freezing cold and completely silent outside and I turned the music up to max and began to dance to it. I was really enjoying myself. The visual continued to increase where trees looked to have several coloured faces all waving around in the branches and then I started to see people who were not there or just disappeared. I was extremely anxious whenever I thought I saw anyone and would turn off the music and hide in my car till I realised they were gone or were not there to begin with. This would have looked very odd behavior to anyone watching this. At this point I decided it was time to go in a admit myself. I was very nervous about this but I managed to get to the counter worried about all the actual people there observing me. I was taken straight in and accessed by triage.
When being questioned about what Id done, taken, feel etc by the nurse I was completely distracted by a cabinet in front of us which contained several small draws used for storing some medical equipment. She was asking me questions but all I could do was stare at this pattern of small squares facing out of this cabinet. In my state I mistook this for a computer screen and somehow thought that I was somewhere else and browsing the internet. The problem was there was no keyboard or mouse or anyway to control what was on the "screen". I then asked the nurse "where is the mouse?". I then turned and looked at her and was given a very confused look. Then Id realised where I was and that there was no computer screen. This was my first realisation that I had gone insane. From there on it went a bit fuzzy. I was given a bed and the next 12 hours was complete delirium and not knowing where I was or what was real or remembering much of it. I can remember having conversations with myself then snapping out of it for a moment then going back off into lala land.
The next day I could not tell if Id been awake or asleep or was dreaming. I cant even remember being seen by a Dr. The nurse would check on me every so often but kept a distance from me like I was potentially violent and gave me a look of distrust. I began to get my sense of reality back and decided hospital was not where I wanted to be. From what I know Id been given no treatment or even seen by a Dr and the nurse was clearly disturbed by either my appearance or behavior or both. I decided to discharge myself from care and there was no objection or attempt to stop me.
Now back in my car driving again I found that I was no way as sober as I thought. This is about 15 or so hours after ingesting the drug but I could barely keep the car on the road. I just could not keep attention or see straight or control the vehicle. Luckily I made it home and got myself inside. My sister was there and I explained what had happened. She was very concerned and confused about it all but knowing Id just come from hospital she must have assumed I was ok to be let out. I was still hallucinating and I kept seeing worms coming in and out of the ceiling and walls. Anywhere there was a dot of mark on a wall transformed into a sprilling worm that had beady little eyes looking at me. This was scary and fascinating but I was unsure if they were actually real or not. I asked my sis if she could see them and she was just scratching her head unsure what to say. I also could not read or focus my eyesight. I had text msgs on my fone but as hard as I tried my eyes could not make out the words. I must have tried for several minutes from different distances and with either eye and concentrating as hard as I could and still could not make out a single letter.
This continued into the next day. I stayed home where I was safe but had to go to work the following day. Sure that Id be sober and recovered 3 days after consuming a drug I got to work where I was confronted by my boss. He took one look at me and told me to go home. Clearly I was not looking too great.
It must have wore off as I dont remember the event going for any longer than this.

I have to say that this was probably one of the most lengthy and mentally fucked up experiences of my life. I have had big doses of LSD and mushrooms but never been messed up for 3-4 days hallucinating and not knowing what was real or not. What happened in the hours I was in hospital is a mystery and how I was not sent to psychiatric and permitted to leave and drive home in such a fucked up state is also a mystery. If there was any permanent damage I do not know. Since then my depression continues but I have other issues regarding my mental health and personality which may or not been affected. I have severe sleeping issues and developed a habit of talking in my sleep which has developed since which is possibly narcolepsy (waiting on results). If this is a result of this event Im not sure.
What I can say is that I would not recommend anyone try this. It seems to be similar to deliriants like datura or atropine experiences but maybe milder (Im not trying datura to compare them). The euphoria at the onset was heavily outweighed by the negative effects. After 3 days and not knowing if Id ever be sane or get my eyesight back to normal it was quite scary. If I was at all close to death it was probably driving a vehicle while intoxicated rather than a toxic OD on this drug.

If anyone have some information on this substance Im interested to read it. Ive since taken much interest in chemistry/drugs/pharmacology etc.
Thanks.

Fantastic report and valuable information for those who are considering taking insane doses of deliriants. Glad you survived.

Last edited by Smeg; 27-12-2012 at 04:59. Reason: Mention of the nurse's religion and attendant clothing is irrelevant.

Share this on:

Tags
doxylamine, doxylamine succinate, otc codeine meds, over the counter drug