Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > VARIOUS DRUG RELATED TOPICS > The euphoric body > Drug combinations
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Drug combinations About mixing drugs.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:51

26 y/o Male
seemoreglass09 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
SSRi's + Hallucinogens

I have a friend who's been on 150 mg daily of Sertraline for about a year, as well as concerta and ritalin, all by perscription. my friend really wants to trip, but so far his experiences have been disappointing. He's had little to no reaction on shrooms and DMT. he's read that SSRi's tend to disagree with hallucinogens, and is wondering if anyone on SSRi's has advice on how to have a good trip, maybe something more obscure.
Old 16-04-2009, 01:17
Palladium Member

Male from United Kingdom
Synesthesiac must mainline MedlineSynesthesiac must mainline MedlineSynesthesiac must mainline MedlineSynesthesiac must mainline MedlineSynesthesiac must mainline MedlineSynesthesiac must mainline MedlineSynesthesiac must mainline MedlineSynesthesiac must mainline MedlineSynesthesiac must mainline MedlineSynesthesiac must mainline MedlineSynesthesiac must mainline Medline
Points: 5,792, Level: 11 Points: 5,792, Level: 11 Points: 5,792, Level: 11
Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6%
Re: SSRi's + Hallucinogens

Quote:
Originally Posted by seemoreglass09 View Post
I have a friend who's been on 150 mg daily of Sertraline for about a year, as well as concerta and ritalin, all by perscription. my friend really wants to trip, but so far his experiences have been disappointing. He's had little to no reaction on shrooms and DMT. he's read that SSRi's tend to disagree with hallucinogens, and is wondering if anyone on SSRi's has advice on how to have a good trip, maybe something more obscure.
This is a very general question, all psychedelics will react differently to combining with SSRI's. Swims got a current interest in this, as he too is on an SSRI. And hasn't been too responsible with his combinations, originally planning on not trying anything while on his SSRI, but ending up carrying on his psychedelic voyages as usual.

So far, swim can say that triptamines in general seem largely uneffected. DMT was the largely the same as usual. However phenethylamines (MDMA, Methylone, Butylone) largely got no effects at all. 2c-X chemicals retain the visual effects, but no body buzz or euphoria can be felt at all, leaving a purely visual experience. Benzo's fine. GHB/GBL fine. Mushrooms, Swim hasn't tried it, probably not a good idea since it works on serotonin function (like MDMA and most phenethylamines) so the effects would be expected to be greatly diminished, and people here convinced swim it just wasn't worth trying. See the thread I started: Combinations - Shrooms while on a SSRI. Yay or Nay?

So overall, nearly all psychedelics do seem to have their effects changed by SSRI's. Some remain largely unchanged, and some are completely different. A rule of thumb would be to avoid any drug thats primary effects are known to be due to binding to serotonin receptors, as this is what SSRI's effect, and ones that dont have any sertogenic activity should remain largely unchanged. But nearly all psychedelics effect the serotonin system in some way.

So my advice is (being amazingly hypocritical here!) people with pre-existing mental disorders of anykind (depression, anxity, whatever) should generally avoid psychedelics. Especially if on medication that could react with it. But I know this wont stop people trying, so I hope the information I could give has helped.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Valuable input of experience.

Share this on:

Tags
antidepressants and hallucinogens, antidepressants and psychedelics, hallucinogen combinations, hallucinogens and antidepressants, psychedelic combinations, psychedelics and antidepressants, ssri combinations, ssris