Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Opiates & Opioids > Codeine
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 01-04-2009, 01:34
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

24 y/o Male from Ireland
readeadamie is a decent psychonaut.readeadamie is a decent psychonaut.
Buying otc cough medicine w/codeine

There's a cough syrup available over the counter here called codinex. The only active ingredient is codeine. SWIM knows it's over the counter but would staff be suspicious when/if SWIM buys it? Would they ask questions? Should I say a doctor recomended it? It's stupid really but I've wanted to get this for a while but have been a bit sketchy about it. What type of cough does it suit best? cause if they ask what kinda cough I have and I say a certain kind (example: one with extra phlegm on da side) they might try to give me a more suitable medicine (some shit like Exputex, or worse, honey-lemon-glycerin stuff).
Old 01-04-2009, 01:55
Silver Member

Male from United States
hamsterdam is a decent psychonaut.hamsterdam is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 488, Level: 3 Points: 488, Level: 3 Points: 488, Level: 3
Activity: 14.2% Activity: 14.2% Activity: 14.2%
Re: buying otc cough medicine w/codeine

if it's OTC it's OTC. If they actually question you say you're picking it up for your mother.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:15

Male
yaba probably knows what they are talking about.yaba probably knows what they are talking about.yaba probably knows what they are talking about.yaba probably knows what they are talking about.yaba probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 902, Level: 4 Points: 902, Level: 4 Points: 902, Level: 4
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Can't find a lot of info of codinex. But if its OTC and they sell it I can't see a problem.
Swim would say this has worked for me before, my Doctor is aware of it that I am taking it and am not abusing it.

If you don't sell it way display it ? If I wanted to get of my face I would buy heroine !And you have just insulted me I will take my business elsewhere. GOOD BUY !!!
Old 01-04-2009, 02:18

24 y/o Male from Ireland

Just noticed your phenergan w/codeine post. That's the combo SWIM's looking to try out. He was gonna combine the Codeinex(codeine) syrup with some Phenergan(promethazine) syrup. Both are available over the counter here but has never heard of anyone(Irish) doing it. I'm gonna buy it. Should be easy, I'm just a bit paronoid bout these things.
Old 01-04-2009, 13:26
Banned

Male
Abrad must think in IUPACAbrad must think in IUPACAbrad must think in IUPACAbrad must think in IUPACAbrad must think in IUPACAbrad must think in IUPACAbrad must think in IUPACAbrad must think in IUPACAbrad must think in IUPACAbrad must think in IUPACAbrad must think in IUPAC
Points: 4,205, Level: 9 Points: 4,205, Level: 9 Points: 4,205, Level: 9

Good luck finding any pharmacist willing to sell Codinex to a 19 year old. There seems to be a major crackdown on it recently with most pharmacists being "out of stock" to anyone under the age of 60.
Old 01-04-2009, 16:48

Male
yaba probably knows what they are talking about.yaba probably knows what they are talking about.yaba probably knows what they are talking about.yaba probably knows what they are talking about.yaba probably knows what they are talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrad View Post
Good luck finding any pharmacist willing to sell Codinex to a 19 year old. There seems to be a major crackdown on it recently with most pharmacists being "out of stock" to anyone under the age of 60.
Ask your grand dad... Or buy someone a pint in the legion..
Old 01-04-2009, 18:51

24 y/o Male from Ireland

SWIM just did a cold water extraction on 48 Solpadeine. Same f*ckin thing. I'm just a bit paronoid about paracetomol too but I trust the extraction went well... it's clear anyway.
Old 01-04-2009, 18:55
Banned

Male
Abrad must think in IUPACAbrad must think in IUPACAbrad must think in IUPACAbrad must think in IUPACAbrad must think in IUPACAbrad must think in IUPACAbrad must think in IUPACAbrad must think in IUPACAbrad must think in IUPACAbrad must think in IUPACAbrad must think in IUPAC
Points: 4,205, Level: 9 Points: 4,205, Level: 9 Points: 4,205, Level: 9

Quote:
SWIM just did a cold water extraction on 48 Solpadeine.
*Shuddering at the thought of all that caffeine*
Old 01-04-2009, 19:02
Gold Member

24 y/o Male from Northern Ireland
davestate must mainline Medlinedavestate must mainline Medlinedavestate must mainline Medlinedavestate must mainline Medlinedavestate must mainline Medlinedavestate must mainline Medlinedavestate must mainline Medlinedavestate must mainline Medlinedavestate must mainline Medlinedavestate must mainline Medlinedavestate must mainline Medline
Points: 3,538, Level: 8 Points: 3,538, Level: 8 Points: 3,538, Level: 8
Activity: 2.3% Activity: 2.3% Activity: 2.3%

Quote:
Originally Posted by readeadamie View Post
SWIM just did a cold water extraction on 48 Solpadeine. Same f*ckin thing. I'm just a bit paronoid about paracetomol too but I trust the extraction went well... it's clear anyway.
Normal "co-codamol" has no caffeine and is much much cheaper. Plus SWIM noticed there are less binders and coatings in generics. Harder to swallow but easier to extract!
Old 01-04-2009, 19:16

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by readeadamie View Post
It seems that someone is a bit paranoid anyway... Please don't take offense to it, but seen your other post about poppy pods and now the going into a shop to buy something.

I can understand the concern about "borderline" things (like ordering pods on the net, etc..) and I do think big brother is watching but don't worry about it. And were my dog is living.. Its a lot smaller then Ireland.. And not far from it.
Old 01-04-2009, 21:41
Silver Member

Female from United States
Lady Codone must live here.Lady Codone must live here.Lady Codone must live here.Lady Codone must live here.Lady Codone must live here.Lady Codone must live here.Lady Codone must live here.
Points: 269, Level: 2 Points: 269, Level: 2 Points: 269, Level: 2
Activity: 2.9% Activity: 2.9% Activity: 2.9%

Opiates are best for non-productive coughs, meaning that no phlegm is produced. If it's dry and painful, that helps too
Old 01-04-2009, 22:50
R.I.P.

Male
honourableone really knows their shit.honourableone really knows their shit.honourableone really knows their shit.honourableone really knows their shit.honourableone really knows their shit.honourableone really knows their shit.honourableone really knows their shit.honourableone really knows their shit.honourableone really knows their shit.honourableone really knows their shit.
Points: 2,282, Level: 7 Points: 2,282, Level: 7 Points: 2,282, Level: 7

While in America this might be a well known thing due to hiphop culture, you should have less trouble in Ireland if it is OTC. Just answer any questions sensibly; if it is OTC then just buying one bottle is perfectly legitimate. Just remember that you (or your mother, which would mean that you don't need to the exact symptoms) have tried this before (for a cough), and you only take it occasionally for no more than a couple of days at a time. Looking up the official dosing instructions would be a good idea.
Old 02-04-2009, 13:03

24 y/o Male from Ireland

Well SWIM's not being that paranoid I don't think. I have natural dreadlocks and a nervous tremor (so my hands shake when I'm handing them the cash) I got some really funny looks just buying a box of Solpadeine. SWIM just doesn't like people thinking he's a junky and giving him looks of disgust. Thanks for the co-codamol tip.
Old 02-04-2009, 23:38
Silver Member

Male from United States

well.. having your hands shake when you hand them the cash is definitely gonna make you look like a junkie, since it signifies you're nervous, or are fucked up on some kind of drug that's doing it to you.

don't be nervous buying the stuff.. again, if it's otc it's otc, you can't get in trouble for buying it (unless it's limited by quantity.. and you're trying to buy more then the limit)
Old 03-04-2009, 14:32

24 y/o Male from Ireland

No, I'm not nervous, I have a nervous system disorder. It's called a full body tremor or something. So I shake all the time whether I'm nervous or confident. There's no meds for it as far as I know. When I was a kid the doctors tried Inderal but it didn't work and gave weird side effects. It's a pain in the ass cause last time I got arrested the cops thought I was shitting it and wouldn't believe I was shaky cause of a medical condition.
Old 03-04-2009, 22:08
Silver Member

Male from United States

ah man.. that sucks :/

do CNS depressants (like codeine) reduce it at all?

ever try benzos for it?
Old 04-04-2009, 10:48

24 y/o Male from Ireland

Opiates do nothing for it but SWIM must give benzo's a try. SWIM heard weed is used medicinally for reducing tremors, in Parkinsons and stuff like that. It never really did much for him but SWIM wonder if there's is a certain strain out there that would. SWIM thought one of the lesser known cannabinoids might have that effect and SWIM just has to find a strain rich in that. I'm doing some research into medi weed now cause I might be getting a job in a seedbank with a caregiver. We'd be concentrating on balanced strains (THC%-CBD%) and medi strains.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:22

Male
BigDonJuan73 should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.

Swim just buys whatever syrup he wants and buys milk and eggs with it as well. Looks as if SWIY is just getting the usual.
Old 04-04-2009, 15:38
Silver Member

Male from United States

That's pretty surprising.. that a CNS depressant wouldn't slow down a CNS problem.

have you ever smoked pot before? Even if the CB strains in the variety smoked aren't weighted towards the "right" ones, it might do something.

Though smoking pot before going to buy codeine syrup is probably a bad idea.
Old 13-08-2010, 10:55
Palladium Member

30 y/o Male from Ireland
John Doe really adds to the discussion.John Doe really adds to the discussion.John Doe really adds to the discussion.John Doe really adds to the discussion.John Doe really adds to the discussion.John Doe really adds to the discussion.
Points: 1,436, Level: 5 Points: 1,436, Level: 5 Points: 1,436, Level: 5

Just a word of warning, the law in Ireland has changed lately and anything containing Codeine is now behind the counter and it's at the pharmacists discretion whether or not to sell it to you. A friend of a friend told me he tried to buy Codeine Linctus today and they wanted to see his 'sick father' before selling it to him!
Old 19-09-2010, 13:04
Silver Member

33 y/o Male from Croatia
cnidocyte is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 52, Level: 1 Points: 52, Level: 1 Points: 52, Level: 1
Re: Buying otc cough medicine w/codeine

Would you say those new regulations apply to cough syrups too? I've only heard about people getting addicted to codeine based analgesics, not cough syrup so maybe the pharmacists aren't being pressured to be more strict about selling it like they are with the painkillers.
Old 19-09-2010, 13:32
Platinum Member & Advisor

Female from United Kingdom
missparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 15,417, Level: 18 Points: 15,417, Level: 18 Points: 15,417, Level: 18
Activity: 7.8% Activity: 7.8% Activity: 7.8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnidocyte View Post
Would you say those new regulations apply to cough syrups too? I've only heard about people getting addicted to codeine based analgesics, not cough syrup so maybe the pharmacists aren't being pressured to be more strict about selling it like they are with the painkillers.

I don't think it's a case of being pressured, I think new guidelines brought in would apply to any OTC product that contained codeine, whatever it's used for.

Sparkles.
Old 19-09-2010, 13:38
Silver Member

33 y/o Male from Croatia
cnidocyte is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 52, Level: 1 Points: 52, Level: 1 Points: 52, Level: 1

Yeah I looked into it, you're right.
Old 22-09-2010, 08:41

24 y/o Male from United Kingdom
saintsanity needs to post very carefully to avoid a ban by negative reputation.
Points: 29, Level: 1 Points: 29, Level: 1 Points: 29, Level: 1
Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5%

You could always just ask for it's generic name i.e codeine linctus and they should give you codinex or which ever thing is available If that doesnt work out pulmo bailey is another type of codeine linctus over the counter with 7mg/5ml.

Is it just me or do americans have some weird thing about putting caffeine in cocodamol, I mean few of the Irish/British formulations even have caffeine in thankfully but over there they all seem to have caffeine in, tylenol 2,3,4 and those are prescription >_<
Old 22-09-2010, 12:05
Palladium Member

30 y/o Male from Ireland
John Doe really adds to the discussion.John Doe really adds to the discussion.John Doe really adds to the discussion.John Doe really adds to the discussion.John Doe really adds to the discussion.John Doe really adds to the discussion.
Points: 1,436, Level: 5 Points: 1,436, Level: 5 Points: 1,436, Level: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsanity View Post
You could always just ask for it's generic name i.e codeine linctus and they should give you codinex or which ever thing is available If that doesnt work out pulmo bailey is another type of codeine linctus over the counter with 7mg/5ml.

Is it just me or do americans have some weird thing about putting caffeine in cocodamol, I mean few of the Irish/British formulations even have caffeine in thankfully but over there they all seem to have caffeine in, tylenol 2,3,4 and those are prescription >_<
Ummm... the last poster just said all products containing codeine are now behind the counter and it's at the pharmacists discretion whether to sell it or not and right now they're more inclined not to bother in case they get in trouble.

Rex asked for Codeine Linctus in a couple of pharmacies while purchasing other stuff anyway and all either declined to sell it or said they don't stock it. One sold it to him but he called them previous to the pick up to ask if they had it and it was pre-arranged that he'd simply pick it up.

And also for the cocodamol... have you read the side of an Irish packet of Solpadeine? I'm fairly certain they all contain caffeine...

Share this on:

Tags
buying codeine, codeine, codeine availability, otc codeine, over the counter opiates

Sitelinks: Information: