Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > RECOVERY & ADDICTION > Drug Addiction & Recovery > Opiate addiction
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Opiate addiction Support for coping with Opiate addiction and Opiate addiction treatment.

Old 25-03-2009, 16:52

34 y/o Male
MrPhReeZ should review received reputation comments.
Points: 102, Level: 1 Points: 102, Level: 1 Points: 102, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
How hard is it to taper off of subxone?

SWIM said....

i went to the doctor to get on suboxone 3 days ago! took my first pill of suboxone monday march 23rd i can honestly say i havent had any w/d,s at all since ive been on suboxone!HE GAVE ME A SCRIPT OF 21 8MG SUBOXONE monday the directions are to eat 3 8mg,s a day untill my next visit...i feel great on suboxone but i do not want to be on it forever (SINCE ITS STILL A OPIOTE) AND ITS COSTLY$ DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW HARD IT IS TO GET OFF OF SUBOXONE...I FEEL LIKE I QUIT ONE DRUG TO GET ON ANOTHER!

THANKS

TONY

Post Quality Evaluations:
self incrimination
not self incrimination, asking for script advice

Last edited by Dickon; 13-11-2009 at 18:27. Reason: SWIM
Old 25-03-2009, 17:12
Silver Member

25 y/o Male from USA - Pennsylvania
SmokeNmirrors is captain of the psychonauts.SmokeNmirrors is captain of the psychonauts.SmokeNmirrors is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 653, Level: 4 Points: 653, Level: 4 Points: 653, Level: 4
Re: How hard is it to taper off of subxone?

Swim started with 16mg a day, part of swims terms were when he was put on the suboxone that he would have to do a out patient rehab. swim stayed on that dose for about 2 months the swims doctor gave him some 2mg of suboxone and was taking 12mg and slowly but surely swim is now down to 8mg a day and probably in his next visit go to 4mg unless he feels uncomfortable then perhaps 6mg. So far the tapering process has been quite easy for swim and swim has had no discomfort from tapering. So just be sure to talk it out with swiys doctor and tell him how swiy is feeling mentaly and physically. Good luck with it all swim hopes it works out well.
Old 26-03-2009, 01:29
Drug Chemistry & Kratom

Male from Papua New Guinea
Electrolingus really knows their shit.Electrolingus really knows their shit.Electrolingus really knows their shit.Electrolingus really knows their shit.Electrolingus really knows their shit.Electrolingus really knows their shit.Electrolingus really knows their shit.Electrolingus really knows their shit.Electrolingus really knows their shit.Electrolingus really knows their shit.
Points: 3,088, Level: 8 Points: 3,088, Level: 8 Points: 3,088, Level: 8

If SWIY is using Suboxone to kick a heroin/pain pill habit, then SWIM would recommend using the least amount of Suboxone as possible. One should take just enough to get over the 'ills' and no more. Three 8mg pills/day is the usual dose that a doctor will prescribe for Suboxone maintenance. If one does not want to be maintained on this drug for an extended period of time, then SWIY might want to tread lightly. Suboxone is wonderful for opiate detox the first couple of times, but, it will become less effective the more one uses it for this purpose. SWIY should use it sparingly and wisely. Once a person becomes physically dependent on Suboxone, tapering can be quite difficult for some. This is just a suggestion.

excellent advice given here. suboxone is still fairly new, so its good to see members educating each other of its disadvantages- not just benefits.

Last edited by Electrolingus; 27-03-2009 at 00:02.
Old 26-03-2009, 22:17

Male
COOKEDinLA should review received reputation comments.
Points: 3, Level: 1 Points: 3, Level: 1 Points: 3, Level: 1

SWIM said....

Suboxone W/D was worse than anything else I ever had to get away from. I've done it twice. You think you are out of the woods then a leg jittering, non-sleeping depression engulfs you. There is a way to make it go easier though. Let me know if you want to know how I did it.

Also, lose the guilt, even if it is in the back of your mind that this is also an opiate. It is, but you can only get so "high" and you won't steal your Grandma's savings on it. Some day you will have to stop subs, but if you were hardcore, do one thing at a time.

Paul

Last edited by Dickon; 13-11-2009 at 18:28. Reason: swim
Old 26-03-2009, 23:44
Silver Member

Male from Australia
Naked Lunch is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 21, Level: 1 Points: 21, Level: 1 Points: 21, Level: 1

SWIM said....

I've only ever gotten rid of my sub habit with one thing, Heroin!
I found tapering to be unsuccessful because i would constantly hang out.

You can only try it, go slow and good luck!

self incrimination

Last edited by Dickon; 13-11-2009 at 18:28. Reason: swim
Old 27-03-2009, 22:38

Male

Perscription for high blood pressure and muscle relaxer and unfortunately exercise is the only thing that helped me. The exercise is like pulling a tooth as you know, but running in place by the bed does the trick.

self incrimination
Self incrimination. Blatent advertising

Last edited by ~lostgurl~; 03-04-2009 at 12:57. Reason: removed advertising of book.
Old 28-03-2009, 06:10
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

38 y/o Male from United States
Richard_smoker must mainline MedlineRichard_smoker must mainline MedlineRichard_smoker must mainline MedlineRichard_smoker must mainline MedlineRichard_smoker must mainline MedlineRichard_smoker must mainline MedlineRichard_smoker must mainline MedlineRichard_smoker must mainline MedlineRichard_smoker must mainline MedlineRichard_smoker must mainline MedlineRichard_smoker must mainline Medline
Points: 3,596, Level: 8 Points: 3,596, Level: 8 Points: 3,596, Level: 8

believe me, if you allow yourself to stay on it for a year or more, it's VERY difficult to come off of. virtually impossible without a taper. (do a search, i basically made a journal out of swim's experience)

on the other hand, you can actually USE it on a FAST TAPER to effortlessly come off ANY OPIATE. Just stay on it ~1 week for every year you were addicted. Then, just rapid taper yourself off the bupe.

but, the challenge will be STAYING OFF opiates!!

swim found it was a total trade-off. being on subs long enough to MENTALLY/psychologically transfer the addiction completely vs no withdrawals. your choice. -DICK
Old 29-03-2009, 23:11

Male

Completely agree. At first suboxone seems like a miracle drug, but soon you realize why you got on it - to get off opiates. So you try to get off the subs. That sucks big, but the real sucky happens weeks after when you find yourself empty and craving. That's when some type of program or therapy has got to be there to fill the emptiness. Sounds crazy, but I've found that those things can lift you higher than the opiates, but you gotta fight for it. That is the insane ride of my book Cooked in LA.
Old 30-03-2009, 17:58
Palladium Member

Female from Earth
ex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 5,548, Level: 10 Points: 5,548, Level: 10 Points: 5,548, Level: 10
Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0%

careful about self incrimination people.
Old 30-03-2009, 21:37
Silver Member

Male from Australia

I often find myself saying "swim" in one sentence and "I" in another.lol
Old 02-04-2009, 00:53

Richard_smoker must mainline MedlineRichard_smoker must mainline MedlineRichard_smoker must mainline MedlineRichard_smoker must mainline MedlineRichard_smoker must mainline MedlineRichard_smoker must mainline MedlineRichard_smoker must mainline MedlineRichard_smoker must mainline MedlineRichard_smoker must mainline MedlineRichard_smoker must mainline MedlineRichard_smoker must mainline Medline

I think that with ALL things considered, buprenorphine, suboxone, and subutex really ARE a godsend.

They allow you to do what would normally be completely impossible on your opiate drug of choice. and, even after getting OFF the subs, it isn't like your life will come to a screaching halt if you slip up and take some drugs... you just need to get back on course, at first, very slowly, by getting back on the subs for a little while.

in time, you will 'learn yourself' as someone who is no longer addicted to opiates. Hopefully, by this point, you will no longer need the occasional 'relapse', but even if you do, you will likely find a balance point where subs are no longer needed because HOPEFULLY (and this is pretty common), you won't let yourself become addicted to opiates again...this will likely take time...as in at least 6 months or years off the subs. just take your time. one day at a time.
Old 02-04-2009, 17:35
Mercury Member

Male
VSOP~on~tap needs to UTFSE some more before posting.

me Hombre, let me emphazise this note; WEANING down on subutex, while EXTREMELY uncomfortable at times.......is NOTHING and VERY EASY----compared to the REAL step you have to make....all you are doing is drawing out the inevitable just face it
cause for my alligator.......EVEN WHEN he tapered down to a speck, like .2 IF THAT he straight up wd for 1-2 months and hopped right back on something.
in my opinion sub wd is comparable with done wd and they are a BITCH .however I STILL reccomend cold turkey if your REALLY ready to quit. subs are GREAT if you need to work and dont have the proper time to wd/etc.....but NO JOKE they became a bigger monster than his other monkeys EVER were be careful with taht shit man seriously it is NO miracoul cure.
(Ibogain is
Old 02-04-2009, 17:57

34 y/o Male
Grabnar should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1

swim says subbies are bad for long term use and only has used them in 3 day increment, if swiys aren't bangin 20 bags of street dope/day there is no point to even messing with this stuff to kick for more than 3 DAYS at a time. swim only ever needed one 8mg to kick an unwelcome/sneaky dope habit. ps swiys don't try to inject suboxone unless u luv instant withdrawl, suboxone the name brand in the usa has both agonist and anti agonist property to prevent abusers!
Old 02-04-2009, 21:23
Mercury Member

Male

actualy in the name of truth and fairness-shooting suboxone does not "automaticaly" throw you into wd, infact many thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands of people shoot their suboxone every day and have NO problem. the nalaxone DOES delay the rush but it still hits and when does its BADASS. but yeah you dont get the instant heroin like rush you would off subutex.
ok anyways besides that I agree with EVERYTHING you have said. this shit is NOT cool long term, but short term, it has worked wonders for many people. and yep.....even with my rediculous tolerance I ALWAYS preffered 4 mg sub to 12 mg, or the actual 24 that I was prescribed. and yep, you CAN taper off a habit with JUST ONE PILL. its been done millions of times by many people.
Old 02-04-2009, 23:40

i've got to disagree with everyone who says suboxone is evil and the same as methadone. there's absolutely nothing wrong with a slow, gradual taper. my monkey tapered his dose down WELL below 0.2mg before finally being 'free.'

just like anything else of this magnitude and in the same class of drugs, it might NOT work on the first attempt! the obvious answer to this is, GET UP AND TRY AGAIN!

all things considered, it's really not all that hard. but you really do need some good support. swim found this forum to be excellent in that regard, and truthfully, it was all swim needed to break free. -DICK
Old 03-04-2009, 00:53
Silver Member

Male from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSOP~on~tap View Post
actualy in the name of truth and fairness-shooting suboxone does not "automaticaly" throw you into wd, infact many thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands of people shoot their suboxone every day and have NO problem. the nalaxone DOES delay the rush but it still hits and when does its BADASS. but yeah you dont get the instant heroin like rush you would off subutex.
ok anyways besides that I agree with EVERYTHING you have said. this shit is NOT cool long term, but short term, it has worked wonders for many people. and yep.....even with my rediculous tolerance I ALWAYS preffered 4 mg sub to 12 mg, or the actual 24 that I was prescribed. and yep, you CAN taper off a habit with JUST ONE PILL. its been done millions of times by many people.
The reason the Naloxone doesn't mess with the Buprenorphine like it does Heroin is because Naloxone doesnt reverse Buprenorphine. Swim has read it in a book entitled "clinical pharmacology for nurses" that swim owns.
Swim thought Naloxone DID reverse Buprenorphine but if they are teaching nurses that it doesn't its likely true. This leads to the question "then why put Naloxone in Subutex in the first place?" Swim means, if it doesnt reverse it then its pointless isn't it?!?!?!?!
Ahh, the pharmacological industry, they make zero sense!
Old 03-04-2009, 02:48
Palladium Member

Female from Earth
ex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 5,548, Level: 10 Points: 5,548, Level: 10 Points: 5,548, Level: 10
Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0%

^the combination has an agonist/antagonist effect. this is why they put it in subutex. its not about reversing the other. its about balance.
Old 03-04-2009, 18:42

actually, it's the plain old buprenorphine itself that has the agonist/antagonist dual effect.

they threw the naloxone in there to make it more 'appetizing' to the FDA and to the doctors who prescribe who will take a long long time to learn that the naloxone isn't doing squat. -DICK
Old 04-04-2009, 00:56
Silver Member

Male from Australia

The doctor told swim that taken subligually the naloxone has very poor absorbency and is in effect in active but if taken IV it is effective at putting you into WD but this isn't true because naloxone wont reverse bupe like it does full agonists. Therefore suboxone is a contradiction, the naloxone does nothing....although it is a good way to get naloxone for bringing people out of and OD.

And yes, its bupe itself that is the agonist/antagonist and bupe itself will lessen your high if taken after a dose of a full agonist.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:36
Titanium Member

Male from Northern Ireland
Finn Mac Cool probably knows what they are talking about.Finn Mac Cool probably knows what they are talking about.Finn Mac Cool probably knows what they are talking about.Finn Mac Cool probably knows what they are talking about.Finn Mac Cool probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 615, Level: 3 Points: 615, Level: 3 Points: 615, Level: 3

Over here they only give you subutex and only if you go IP detox, SWIM has been told that nalaxone helps with cravings after detox, that's why SWIM would take it.
Old 07-04-2009, 20:36
Mercury Member

Male

hey; the TRUTH of the matter is, that Naloxone DOES have an effect on IV'd BUPE ONLY. not much of an effect, but it delays the rush. the reason that naloxone doesnt work with bupe (wont reverse it or throw you into wd) is that naloxones half life is SOOOOOOO short, combined with the fact that bupe has Such a strong binding affinity that virtualy NO Nal can even make it NEAR your opie receptors.
like I said in swim's experience the ONLY effect is has is that it DOES delay the IV rush (go shoot a subutex, then a boxone, and youll know Exaclty what he means) but it does STILL not kill the high in ANY way youll get just as tore up its a normal bupe high its just that when you shoot pure bupe you get an INSTANT heroin like rush.
thats why they put naloxone in there. because its just not as pleasureable to shoot a bone as it is a tex
peace

VSOP~on~tap added 11 Minutes and 56 Seconds later...

oh, RICHARD SMOKER: Im sorry but I completely disagree with what you have said, in all due respects. in my opinion ALL YOU are doing with ANY taper on ANY opiate is ALLOWING your addict mind to fuck with you into little games like a taper.........your miserable with each dose drop and your jsut proloning the inevitable. eventualy you HAVE to stop taking that TINY crumble.....and trust me you STILLLLLL wd HARD no matter how much you tapered. its just a slow miserable experience that I personaly have NEVER seen work.
the only method ive ever seen work is Cold Turkey. its logic. if you want to quit doing something, you just do it. up and quit. get through the sickness, ITS NOT GOING to kill you seriously. the exception is you DO NOT cold turkey off benzos/alcohol/barbies/weird head meds etc. That is NOT even a medical possibility (well its SEVERLY life threatening) you HAVE to taper off benzos and alcohol and barbies. theres no way around it unless you enjoy seizing.
anyways~ i get what you say~I dont think done or bupe should be Demonized either , because they allow Millions to be able to go to work, take care of their famlies...be functional. but if your goal is to get off opiates for GOOD, there is no other way except cold turkey with LOTS of vitamins, water, good foods with protein and pottassium, and CLONIDINE (this is KEY in ct wd)... swim also uses DXM (which cures wd and does not produce its own if JUST used for a few days-few weeks during intense wd. after years of HEAVY use, it Does produce a VERY light physical wd....but its nothign really. its actualy a very anti-addictive molecule. swim would reccomend taking ANY psychedelic RIGHT when you are the most miserable. it will ground you and help you to know what you want and stand by it. dxm, in particular though seems better than traditional psychs for this purpous becuase also DOES cure the wd symptoms-and even after a hard trip you can still take just like 2 or 3 cccs or a tablespoon full of syrup and it WILL rid you of the wd.

so yeah my opinion is that Bupe should ONLY be used by people who Really need it, ie they NEED it for severe pain, or someone who plans to use it for life to stay off heroin or just to remain normal/functional even////// OR its one of its better uses is a RAPID TAPER. im taling use NO more than one pill for the whole thing, and just use small doses to quell the VERY nastiest of wd symptoms.....and then taper off fast (like one more week or so)
any longer............and your doomed its just like methadone liquid handcuffs.

Serious self incrimination and blatant disregard for forum rules.

Last edited by Heretic.Ape.; 08-04-2009 at 22:45. Reason: swimming
Old 12-04-2009, 05:03
Gold Member

33 y/o Male from United States
Laudaphun must live here.Laudaphun must live here.Laudaphun must live here.Laudaphun must live here.Laudaphun must live here.Laudaphun must live here.Laudaphun must live here.Laudaphun must live here.
Points: 1,455, Level: 5 Points: 1,455, Level: 5 Points: 1,455, Level: 5
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%

SWIM has found that SWIRichard S. hit the nail right on the head. Buprenorphine is an excellent way to taper off of shorter-acting opiates nearly painlessly in some cases, however buprenorphine maintanence is a totally different story. SWIM stayed on buprenorphine far too long and after a year, two years, three... the withdrawl is a total pain in the butt, as it is not unlike typical opiate withdrawl, but it is a long acting opiate so it's also a bit different. It might take 72 hours before withdrawl effects even begin, and they seem to be out of order so to speak. The psychological withdrawl symptoms seem to come much sooner in comparison with the physical ones. SWIM never even made it to any of the hard core physical withdrawl symptoms due to difficulty with a weird emotional sensitivity that seems to hit at about 72 hours. Just when she feels the physical symptoms begin, she can barely take all the crying over silly things... movies (happy or sad), SWIM will get all emotional and want to cry if something makes her feel any kind of emotion (good or bad)... it's weird.

SWIM is guessing that withdraw from buprenophine after long term maintanence lasts a minimum of 2-3 weeks... maybe upwards of a month. A taper is pretty much your best bet. Even then, a taper is so long and tedious at this point it's hard to stick to the scheduled reductions since it does take a fair amount of time to properly taper from suboxone. Good luck, it's probably not as bad as methadone, but SWIM has never been on long term methadone maintanence to make the comparison, but buprenorphine withdrawl/taper is certainly no treat.

The biggest mistake you can make is to try and rush it.
Old 13-04-2009, 13:43

Female
Lirahs is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 13, Level: 1 Points: 13, Level: 1 Points: 13, Level: 1

I have just tapered off Suboxone..I am 50 days clean today. I was on suboxone for about 16 months..prior to that...20 years on 120mg of methadone...tapered that and relapsed with heroin..then off to suboxone. I started at 8 mg during the transition..then dropped down to 4..it took me from Thanksgiving to Feb 22 to taper down from the 4 mg. Annoying as hell..the worst WD I have been through..NOT...just long and dragged out.
And the lack of energy and sleep made is what made it horrible. I used xanax for the first 60 days of the taper/wd...and then had to taper off that as well... plus, I used a couple vikes..4-5 during especially hard times. I worked all through out my taper/wd..it was miserable, but for the most part...the more I moved the less the wd/rls. Plus, I am a vitamin/supplement advocate...used Valerain,Melatonin,B-complexes, DLPA,
5 hour energy drinks and 5-HTP, and nutrition store quality daily vitamins.
I have to say..I am finally feeling human/normal this last week. Whatever normal may be..lol
Good Luck to anyone trying to taper/quit
Shari
I am not too sure how to use the SWIM etc stuff...so if I wrote this wrong..my apologies~

Share this on:

Tags
buprenorphine, clonidine for opiate withdrawal, injecting buprenorphine, injecting suboxone, oxycodone, oxycontin withdawal, shooting buprenorphine, shooting suboxone, suboxone, suboxone withdrawal

» New Threads
My struggle with Loperamide
Last post by ophelia-b
8 Replies, 358 Views
The risk of untested pills
Last post by Ghetto_Chem
6 Replies, 105 Views
Bad news. FDA not allowing Kratom...
Last post by DepoV
20 Replies, 672 Views
Man charged in $80M drug heist...
Last post by Rob Cypher