Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Ethnobotanicals > Caffeine & Coffee
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Caffeine & Coffee Caffeine, green tea, coffee, yerba mate, energy drinks.

Old 17-02-2009, 08:47

24 y/o Male
Amadameus is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 22, Level: 1 Points: 22, Level: 1 Points: 22, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Caffeine in freebase form

Recently I've come across some information about how to free caffeine from its base in much the same way as crack. Unfortunately, I have no experience with the preparation of crack and some of my friends have voiced concerns about the procedures I've found online.

There are a few videos (which I'm confident are legitimate and not just gags) which detail the extraction of caffeine from coffee grounds and its conversion into freebase form, so it can be smoked "just the same as crack." Here is the procedure it describes:

1) Boil a pot of coffee grounds and water thoroughly
2) Filter out the grounds, rinse several times to draw out everything
3) Boil until water is gone, leaving a gooey black 'coffee sludge'
4) Add pure ammonia in about 1:1 ratio with sludge
5) Carefully boil away ammonia
6) Scrape out sludge, smoke it just as you would smoke freebase crack.

This has raised both my eyebrows and those of some more knowledgeable friends, who are worried mostly because the procedures they remember also involved ethyl ether or baking soda, neither of which is mentioned here.

My question is twofold: Can anyone confirm that this procedure for making freebase caffeine is accurate and safe, and does ammonia with "surfactant" added make it unsafe for use here? It's not 'Sudsy' or 'Lemon Scent' and there is no mention of Bitrex on the bottle.

Thanks very much!

Post Quality Evaluations:
Please don't boil ammonia! You don't want ammonia vapours everywhere it's highly alkali
Old 18-02-2009, 15:08
Silver Member

Male from United States
dr. swim is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 138, Level: 1 Points: 138, Level: 1 Points: 138, Level: 1
Re: Caffeine in freebase form

Well, you're still gonna be left with the freebase of all the other alkaloids in the coffee bean, your best bet would be to just buy some anhydrous online.
Old 19-02-2009, 01:25

24 y/o Male

Thanks for the information - after a little bit of looking around online, I discovered a good, cheap site that mails high quality chemicals to personal addresses. I haven't received any shipments from them, but I've got 5 oz of anhydrous caffeine coming in the mail.

Thanks again! This is a great resource.
Old 19-02-2009, 06:52
Psychedelic Shepherdess

37 y/o Female from United Kingdom
Jatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 10,860, Level: 15 Points: 10,860, Level: 15 Points: 10,860, Level: 15
Activity: 6.8% Activity: 6.8% Activity: 6.8%

There is a video in the archive here...

http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/sho...ebase+caffeine

on this (what will people think of next?)
Old 18-03-2009, 22:32
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Male from United Kingdom
expertergaz should review received reputation comments.
Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1

would you be able to use baking soda just like with crack?
Old 01-04-2009, 01:26

Male from United States
psykonaut is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 17, Level: 1 Points: 17, Level: 1 Points: 17, Level: 1

Why would you smoke caffeine? You could just get some NO-DOS from a cornerstore and grind it into a powder. I honestly can't see this giving any positive effects or a good high though.
Old 07-07-2009, 20:01

Male from United Kingdom
AlteredConscious is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1

SWIM has tried a baking soda 'cracking' method with anhydrous powder in a water solution. The resultant 'crack caffeine' smoked easier than the original powder, obviously. But was still far from 'smokable' for recreational usage. Also SWIM found the taste of the smoke was awful. Insufflation is a much better route of administration.

AlteredConscious added 1220 Minutes and 47 Seconds later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by psykonaut View Post
Why would you smoke caffeine? You could just get some NO-DOS from a cornerstore and grind it into a powder. I honestly can't see this giving any positive effects or a good high though.
Caffeine powder for insufflation is really quite something. It has high recreational potential, and potential for usage as a simple 'tool' as it were. SWIM can experience a little lift should he need it, or get a real buzz from higher doses.

Last edited by AlteredConscious; 07-07-2009 at 20:01. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-07-2009, 04:21
Silver Member

Male from United States
dr. swim is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 138, Level: 1 Points: 138, Level: 1 Points: 138, Level: 1

oh god caffeine powder is so horribly bitter and disgusting.

and caffeine sucks on it's own. if you want something fun try Jolt energy gum, chew like 2-4 pieces up just a little and park them between your cheeck like dip. GREAT rush.
Old 09-07-2009, 19:01
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

23 y/o Male from United States
Boca Bitch probably knows what they are talking about.Boca Bitch probably knows what they are talking about.Boca Bitch probably knows what they are talking about.Boca Bitch probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 493, Level: 3 Points: 493, Level: 3 Points: 493, Level: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jatelka View Post
There is a video in the archive here...

http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/sho...ebase+caffeine

on this (what will people think of next?)
That is horribly scary to consider.

Smoking caffeine sounds like an open invitation to a panic attack, and hell maybe even a seizure. Sure caffeine is an alkaloid just like morphine and cocaine, but so is atropine (main active ingredient in Belladonna), should that be isolated and smoked as well??
Old 13-07-2009, 06:08

24 y/o Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by psykonaut View Post
First of all, No-Doz contains additives that are intended to speed the digestion of the caffeine - you don't want to snort that stuff, it burns; and you DON'T want it to get mixed in with any chemical processes either. If you want to snort caffeine or even just find the raw powder, I HIGHLY suggest you use Vivarin or its generic cousin, Stay Awake.
Even better, some chemistry supply companies will sell you pure caffeine by the ounce at a deep discount to any of these pills. ($XXX for 5 ounces? That's about 700 doses, which comes out to a little over a penny for 200mg. Can Stay Awake compete with that?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. swim View Post
oh god caffeine powder is so horribly bitter and disgusting.

and caffeine sucks on it's own. if you want something fun try Jolt energy gum, chew like 2-4 pieces up just a little and park them between your cheeck like dip. GREAT rush.
The merits of caffeine aside, I would contend that caffeine is quite palatable. I may be used to the taste by now, but I can comfortably chew and absorb two tablets of Stay Awake through the soft tissues of my mouth. The taste is a little bitter, but the aftertaste is different and somewhat refreshing. It's a quite discreet, immediate high that's excellent to keep you going through the day!

Jolt doesn't have anything other than caffeine, guarana (which is code for 'more caffeine') and ginseng. I'd much rather take the pure chemical than walk around all day with a slobbering plug stuck in my mouth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boca Bitch View Post
That is horribly scary to consider.

Smoking caffeine sounds like an open invitation to a panic attack, and hell maybe even a seizure. Sure caffeine is an alkaloid just like morphine and cocaine, but so is atropine (main active ingredient in Belladonna), should that be isolated and smoked as well??
PROPER DOSAGE is critical in any drug. It doesn't matter if you're taking aspirin or ecstasy, it's vital to know how much you're taking. This aside, smoking caffeine has no effects other than the traditional ones, but the vehicle (smoke) makes it much faster-acting. That's all.

Last edited by Jatelka; 13-07-2009 at 07:45.
Old 27-02-2012, 20:11
Silver Member

25 y/o Male from United States
psychemist is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 42, Level: 1 Points: 42, Level: 1 Points: 42, Level: 1

Just received 100g 99.9% USP-grade anhydrous caffeine this morning. Smokeable and sniffable, both with decent results, and I don't have to do any SWIMming because its caffeine!

Like Amadameus stated, caffine is actually quite palatable, at least compared to nearly every other flavored alkaloid. Insufflated, the burn is mild (compared to, once again, nearly every other powdered, pure alkaloid) and the onset of buzz is worth it to me at least.

On a screen in a regular glass pipe, pulling moderately with light flame kisses nicely vaporizes the powder, and the resulting vapor is mild in flavor and harshness to the throat.

Insufflated, the only major drawback is the sneezes, which persisted after blowing my nose several times. The burning pain was quite mild, however. After I was dared to taste some crushed adderall with my nose several years ago, I've been wary about putting alkaloid organic chemicals in there, but the sting of caffeine is minimal. A small amount of local anesthetic would cancel the burn altogether and leave only the sneezes.

Another common misconception: the freebase of an alkaloid is the only smokeable form. This is not the case, but it is usually preferred because the base is slightly more reactive than any salt, thereby coming on quicker (and in some cases metabolizing faster, too). It's a trivial difference if consuming in any way besides smoking, though, since the freebase of any alkaloid is reacted completely into the salt form once in the blood for a short number of minutes (pH buffers are good at that). If smoked, the freebase's increased reactivity brings the increased come-up speed and intensity which is what makes crack so different from salt cocaine. Smoked salts would have effects nearly indiscernible from insufflated salts. If the salt form of an alkaloid has different physical properties (higher boiling point, doesn't boil before it decomposes) it would be a poor choice to vaporize as an ingestion method, but if the freebase and salts have similar properties both could be smoked.

My 3 cents.

I'd like to add that insufflated/vaporized caffeine is the most profoundly effective laxative I've ever experienced.

Last edited by psychemist; 27-02-2012 at 20:16. Reason: addition at end
Old 07-03-2012, 11:02
Silver Member

23 y/o Male from United States
Tengu is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychemist View Post
I'd like to add that insufflated/vaporized caffeine is the most profoundly effective laxative I've ever experienced.
Just taking a 300mg pill is bad enough, I'd imagine it could only get worse. But is it really worth the high?

In my experience with caffeine its simplicity of use is one of the main benefactors in using it. In capsule form it's highly effective and easy. Going through a more damaging or painful route just doesn't seem worth it. I remember something about baking soda helping with absorbing the alkaloids, by all means, use it all. Inhaling powdered/heated caffeine can only cause more harm.

May just be me, all experiences differ...

Share this on:

Tags
caffeine, caffeine freebase, freebase caffeine, move to caffeine forum, smoking caffeine, snorting drugs