Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Various drugs not covered by other forums > Antidepressants
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 17-02-2009, 04:52
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Male
Decstar is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 188, Level: 2 Points: 188, Level: 2 Points: 188, Level: 2
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Anti-depressants cause violent behavior

Can Antidepressants Cause Violence?
YouTube Video (look it up)

What your Doctor isn't Telling You.
Psychiatry vs. Physical Medicine

Dr. Moria Dolan, Executive Director for the Medical Accountability Network discusses the link between antidepressants medications and suicide, violence and school shootings.

Seung-hui Cho w/ the Virginia Tech massacre adds to a long list of incidents over the last 15 to 20 years including Columbine and Red Lake High,

She also discusses antidepressant drugs like like Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil, Luvox, Celexa, Lexapro, Effexor or Wellbutrin.

These medications are known to cause adverse events which can contribute to violence such as hallucinations, agitation, emotional instability, violence, paranoia, etc.

These adverse events are clearly labeled on the FDA approved prescribing information leaflet for the medication. These labels often contain confusing medical terms and Dr. Dolan explains in plain English what these adverse events means.

Although the psychiatric advertising jargon of the chemical imbalance in the brain theory is widely promoted, Dr. Dolan points out that there are no biological markers for mental disorders. There are no physical tests done to measure someone's brain chemistry.

Depression is widely associated with the neurotransmitter serotonin however, there is no standard by which one can measure an abnormal serotonin level.

Additionally, SSRI (Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) as well as other psychiatric drugs show an affect in the brain during brain scans whereas psychiatric diagnosis don't.

Decstar added 6 Minutes and 58 Seconds later...

Please take this seriously. I was prescribed this medication and this happened to me. I am certain I would have got into serious trouble if I hadn't have stopped taking them and I am lucky I didn't get into trouble. There are much better ways of dealing with depression than taking drugs, believe me.

Last edited by Decstar; 17-02-2009 at 04:52. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 21-02-2009, 17:34
Silver Member

Male from Canada
SullyGuy is on the way upSullyGuy is on the way upSullyGuy is on the way upSullyGuy is on the way up
Points: 514, Level: 3 Points: 514, Level: 3 Points: 514, Level: 3
Re: Anti-depressants cause violent behavior

SWIM has, too, been in a very, very bad headspace while on SSRIs.

SWIM almost assaulted a 14 year old kid for mouthing off at me a little, etc. Its really bad guys...
Old 01-10-2010, 23:06
Banned

26 y/o Male from Ireland
hashhead is heading for the Darwin Award.hashhead is heading for the Darwin Award.

when swim was taking venlafaxine he got violent...... once he went to attack someone with a screwdriver swim wouldn't normally do anything like this and was only taking the drug a few days when he stopped taking it the anger and violene went away
Old 01-10-2010, 23:45
Titanium Member

32 y/o Male from Canada
Code9 is captain of the psychonauts.Code9 is captain of the psychonauts.Code9 is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 336, Level: 2 Points: 336, Level: 2 Points: 336, Level: 2

Swim was never violent on SSRIs but he found them to be very depersonalizing. However, there many indications that this group is drawing uneducated conclusions from raw data. According to Scientific American, 10% of Americans are on anti-depressants; that's over 30 million people. Lets say that there are 1,000 acts of violence cases attributed to anti-depressants every year, that's only 0.003% of cases! Even if there is enough correlative evidence to investigate further, does this not seem like a rather rare occurrence?

After checking out the video and the cached website, it was fairly obvious that the angle here is against conventional medicine and psychiatric treatment. Based the editorial tone alone, I'd suggest being fairly skeptic of the information they've presented.

Most importantly, lets not forget why people are prescribed antidepressants in the first place. Obviously, they are given to people with preexisting psychiatric conditions. Wouldn't it be difficult in these cases to determine precisely if the drug was the root cause?

Finally, in swim's opinion the vast majority of these cases fall under the "It wasn't me, it was the drugs argument". Remember the Toyota accelerator thing earlier this year? Well it so happened that when studied closer, they found that the majority of "accelerator sticking" problems were due to bad drivers pushing on the wrong pedal. This is why you don't make conclusions based on raw data, especially if it's anecdotal.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Raises good points - very sensible and balanced post about a very rare but sensationalised side effect.
Clearly presented skepticism, well done.

Last edited by Code9; 01-10-2010 at 23:45. Reason: Clarity
Old 02-10-2010, 00:48
Titanium Member

Male from Australia
Troppo is on the way upTroppo is on the way upTroppo is on the way up
Points: 710, Level: 4 Points: 710, Level: 4 Points: 710, Level: 4
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%

Swim only ever felt agitated while on fluoxetine/Prozac, and it took 2-3 days for that effect to become a worry. Swim stopped the medication before doing or saying anything he could regret. Swim has been prescribed the other SSRIs but didn't take them longer than a day or two due to unwanted stimulant/agitant side effects and insomnia. He reacts strangely to quite a few drugs so he just thought this was his own weird reaction. He tried the Prozac on two more occasions after the first agitated reaction but couldn't keep taking it due to the same reason.

This is just swim's reaction to SSRIs however. He would never tell others not to take their medication if it is helping them. Some people seem to report the opposite side effects from SSRIs, such as emotional dulling, and doctors that swim has seen have said they believe these drugs are useful for symptoms such an anxiety aswell as depression. It just shows that everyone reacts individually to particular medications.
Old 11-10-2010, 23:44
Banned

27 y/o Male from United States
Roads really adds to the discussion.Roads really adds to the discussion.Roads really adds to the discussion.Roads really adds to the discussion.Roads really adds to the discussion.Roads really adds to the discussion.

Obviously SSRIs and SNRIs are not appropriate medications to treat depression with in the first place simply based on the their mechanism of action.

More serotonin? So what. That's pointless if that serotonin is interacting with serotonin receptors that are producing negative effects at the same time others are producing positive ones.

SSRIs and SNRIs provide more serotonin binding for EVERY serotonin receptor site. We understand through research on serotonin receptors that agonist activation of each does not necessarily produce a "positive" behavioral effect. In fact, agonism of most serotonin receptors, barring 5-HT1a of course, can easily worsen anxiety and depression until those receptors down regulate with long term treatment.

Furthermore, the distribution of the various receptors in different areas of the brain could help explain the paradoxical reactions some people have to SSRIs/SNRIs. Why do some people have intense nausea on SSRIs/SNRIs and others don't have any at all? 5-HT3 receptor distribution is the likely culprit.

The same idea could be applied to aggression and violence produced by the drugs, which just don't necesarily yet understand which receptors are involved and what signaling cascades are taking place to produce these types of behavioral responses.
Old 12-10-2010, 00:43
Silver Member

26 y/o Male from United States
FreeBliss is a decent psychonaut.FreeBliss is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 47, Level: 1 Points: 47, Level: 1 Points: 47, Level: 1
Activity: 1.1% Activity: 1.1% Activity: 1.1%

Ive known this for a while. The lady that drowned her 5 children was prescribed Prozac and sometime right before she did that her doc. cut her dosage. As far as I know those kinds of things didn't happen way back when. And no one even thinks about what role the medications play in it.

FreeBliss added 5 Minutes and 11 Seconds later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevil View Post
The anti-depressants they take are from the benzodiazepines family which includes a large list of anti-depressants such as prozac, Xanax,Klonopin and Halcion, to name a few.
No offense but the benzo family is actualy for anxiety and do not react with seratonin receptors. And taking real anti depression medication like prozac is not good for recreation in swims opinion

Last edited by FreeBliss; 12-10-2010 at 00:43. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 17-10-2010, 18:29
Gold Finger

33 y/o Female from United States
chibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPAC
Points: 2,404, Level: 7 Points: 2,404, Level: 7 Points: 2,404, Level: 7
Activity: 5.1% Activity: 5.1% Activity: 5.1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBliss View Post
Ive known this for a while. The lady that drowned her 5 children was prescribed Prozac and sometime right before she did that her doc. cut her dosage.
Surely the lack of medication isn't to blame for her violent behavior! Before Big Pharma started pushing these dangerous drugs, everyone lived happily in peace and harmony!

(Not saying that's what you were implying, FreeBliss, but that's what the video seems to argue.)

When I looked up this Medical Accountability Network, I found Moira Dolan's comments on Andrea Yates, who was on twice the maximum dosage of venlafaxine, and was taken off haloperidol shortly before she killed her children.

This network and Dr. Dolan are also cited on anti-vaccine websites, some kind of anti-drug "natural solutions" website, and apparently were involved in an anti-ECT protest, so I doubt their credibility, to put it mildly.
Old 17-10-2010, 19:28
Titanium Member

25 y/o Male from USA - Kentucky
Moving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond repute

I would just like to add my personal experience for whatever it's worth: I was on anti-depressants for about 4 years (17-21) and never experienced any kind of violent tendencies or suicidal thoughts caused by the anti-depressants (sure, I've had many thoughts of suicide but they were not A-D related because I had the same thoughts before I started on them). I've been on Paxil, Trazadone, and Prozac in that order. Prozac worked the best for my depression but was faaarrr from a cure. The only effect it had on my anxiety was keeping me from going into full-blown panic attacks. I could be right on the edge but I'd never fall off. Again, I just wanted to give my personal experience.

I did however have a friend who was on Chantix (anti-smoking drug but an SSRI) and he told me he had very violent thoughts. He was noticeably withdrawn and rarely spoke or went out of the house. He told me he had thoughts of killing his roommate and then killing himself. He quit taking it once he realized what was going on. Funny thing though, while on it, he went from 30-40 cigarettes a day to 5-10! Go figure.
Old 18-10-2010, 03:24
Titanium Member

Male from USA - Connecticut
Porvata really adds to the discussion.Porvata really adds to the discussion.Porvata really adds to the discussion.Porvata really adds to the discussion.Porvata really adds to the discussion.Porvata really adds to the discussion.
Points: 785, Level: 4 Points: 785, Level: 4 Points: 785, Level: 4

SWIM took Citalopram on and off (20 mg-40 mg) for 7 years up to last June and they had suicidal ideation and anhedonia fairly often. Before they stopped taking it for the last 6 months they had severe paranoia which carried over into even their dreams and they were convinced everyone wanted to kill SWIM to the point they were planning on purchasing a gun. After they stopped taking citalopram the paranoia subsided. They took Bupropion (500 mg) for about 8 months which only made them neurotic. About ten years ago the rabbit was put on a cocktail of Paroxetine, Valproic Acid and Olanzapine (based on a schizophrenia misdiagnosis) which resulted in fullblown psychosis and violent behavior for the month and half they took it before almost getting arrested at school when they attacked the principal for no good reason, after which SWIMs parents finally took them off all meds.

Given their experience, SWIM has absolutely zero faith in SSRIs. The only reliable "anti-depressant" for SWIM has been daily rigorous exercise, which despite not helping much with anxiety eliminates any depressed thoughts while at the same time providing much more lucidity compared to SSRIs.

Share this on:

Tags
anti-depressants, antidepressant effects, antidepressants, celexa, drugs, fluoxetine, prozac, ssri and psychosis, ssri and suicide, ssri side effects, venlafaxine, withdrawals