Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Cannabis > Cannabis & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Cannabis & Health Health risks, anxiety from cannabis use.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:26
Banned

27 y/o Male from United States
chronman needs to UTFSE some more before posting.
Marijuana psychosis

swim first smoked pot when he was 13. 2 years ago he started smoking weed everyday with his buddies. but then one day.. he doesn't even know what triggered it, if anything, but everything started looking extremely alien (like a hard dxm or lsd trip).

he found it impossible to listen to what his friends were saying because his mind was plagued with thoughts like "what are you doing? where are you? what are you?" now, he normally enjoys pondering these ideas, he considers himself a platonist. but swim found it almost impossible to control the thoughts while high. and when he'd watch TV it seemed everything was directly spoken to himself, (i know anything can seem that way.. but this was like the twilight zone on crack).

swims point is.. he was shocked that the drug he loved for so long seemed to have turned on him.. he can't even take one hit without getting extremely paranoid and disassociated. can anyone relate? do anti-psychotic meds help counter this effect?

chronman added 6 Minutes and 35 Seconds later...

swim wants to add that because of this, he hasn't smoked pot in 4 months, but still misses the high =(

Last edited by chronman; 07-02-2009 at 01:26. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-02-2009, 02:52
Silver Member

Female from United Kingdom
madfan is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Re: Marijuana psychosis

swim can certainly relate to this.swiy is doing the right thing by not smoking.swim stopped for at least a year then only smoked with her partner who she trusts completely.after a few weeks she was able to enjoy smoking with others again.
swim suggests swiy stay away from the dope until he feels like his old self again.then start slowly.
swim was very happy smoking again for years after she`d had a break,& thought she`d never stop.sadly she has been unable to smoke for a very long time & still misses it.
swim has every sympathy with swiy & hopes it all goes well for him.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:13
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

24 y/o Male from United States
Boca Bitch probably knows what they are talking about.Boca Bitch probably knows what they are talking about.Boca Bitch probably knows what they are talking about.Boca Bitch probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 493, Level: 3 Points: 493, Level: 3 Points: 493, Level: 3
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronman View Post
swim first smoked pot when he was 13. 2 years ago he started smoking weed everyday with his buddies. but then one day.. he doesn't even know what triggered it, if anything, but everything started looking extremely alien (like a hard dxm or lsd trip).

he found it impossible to listen to what his friends were saying because his mind was plagued with thoughts like "what are you doing? where are you? what are you?" now, he normally enjoys pondering these ideas, he considers himself a platonist. but swim found it almost impossible to control the thoughts while high. and when he'd watch TV it seemed everything was directly spoken to himself, (i know anything can seem that way.. but this was like the twilight zone on crack).

swims point is.. he was shocked that the drug he loved for so long seemed to have turned on him.. he can't even take one hit without getting extremely paranoid and disassociated. can anyone relate? do anti-psychotic meds help counter this effect?
Antipsychotics would be of no help. Cannabis interacts with the cannaboid receptors of the CNS, while antipsychotics work by lowering dopamine levels. Not a bad idea.. but neurologically makes as much sense as using allergy medication to treat a stomach ache.

It sounds as if the initial weird experience may have been caused by laced cannabis. Could you describe how SWIY felt the first time this happened, in greater detail?
If the weed had been laced, the discomfort felt on all following attempts to smoke, are most likely anxiety related, and entirely imagined.

However, there is a treatment for the drug-induced paranoia! Anxiety as a side-effect from cannabis is caused because of the reduction of the neurotransmitter, GABA. This is the body's most abundant inhibitory neurotransmitter, responsible for feelings of tranquility, amoung other things.
The solution is alcohol, which works by increasing GABA levels. One or two drinks should do the trick. Just tell SWIY to not go overboard with the alcohol.. because a high amount present within the body at the same time as cannabis can result in severe dizzyness and nausea. Not life-threatening.. just extremely unpleasant.

Post Quality Evaluations:
marijuana can cause such effects without being "laced." suggesting a person drink to solve mental problems is not the best idea, either.
Old 13-02-2009, 17:36
Banned

39 y/o Male from Australia
cybergenesis needs to UTFSE some more before posting.

I'm sorry but if the guy was actually suffering from psychosis then antipsychotics would probably help. They also calm down a person a great deal, so could quite possibly help even if he was just "disassociated".

And there is no evidence the weed was laced, do you just say that because you can't believe it could have been the pot?
Old 26-02-2009, 22:59
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Male from United States
Cryptic Concoction must live here.Cryptic Concoction must live here.Cryptic Concoction must live here.Cryptic Concoction must live here.Cryptic Concoction must live here.Cryptic Concoction must live here.Cryptic Concoction must live here.
Points: 938, Level: 4 Points: 938, Level: 4 Points: 938, Level: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boca Bitch View Post
Antipsychotics would be of no help. Cannabis interacts with the cannaboid receptors of the CNS, while antipsychotics work by lowering dopamine levels. Not a bad idea.. but neurologically makes as much sense as using allergy medication to treat a stomach ache.

It sounds as if the initial weird experience may have been caused by laced cannabis. Could you describe how SWIY felt the first time this happened, in greater detail?
If the weed had been laced, the discomfort felt on all following attempts to smoke, are most likely anxiety related, and entirely imagined.

However, there is a treatment for the drug-induced paranoia! Anxiety as a side-effect from cannabis is caused because of the reduction of the neurotransmitter, GABA. This is the body's most abundant inhibitory neurotransmitter, responsible for feelings of tranquility, amoung other things.
The solution is alcohol, which works by increasing GABA levels. One or two drinks should do the trick. Just tell SWIY to not go overboard with the alcohol.. because a high amount present within the body at the same time as cannabis can result in severe dizzyness and nausea. Not life-threatening.. just extremely unpleasant.
Avoiding the question of whether typical antipsychotics would treat "marijuana induced psychosis," I would like to correct a couple of misconceptions. Firstly, you are correct that THC appears to act as an agonist at CB1 receptors in the central nervous system and that many antipsychotics appear to mediate their effects via dopamine antagonism.

However, it would not be correct to assume that cannabis does not also interact with the dopaminergic system. CB1 receptors, among other neurons, appear to be expressed on dopamine neurons. Research demonstrates that administration of THC appears to excite dopaminergic neurons of the ventral tegmental area and induce an increase of dopamine in the nucleus accumbens. Furthermore,administration of the D1 receptor antagonist SCH 23390 reduces feeding produced by THC, suggesting an interaction between the cannabiniod and dopaminergic system.

Regarding your assertion that anxiety induced by THC is mediated by its action on GABAergic neurons, while it is true that CB1 receptors appear to be highly expressed on GABAergic neurons and THC ostensibly suppresses release of GABA through its action on these receptors, I have not seen any unequivocal evidence that the reduction in GABA is responsible for marijuana-induced anxiety. Certainly, GABA agonists such as alcohol and benzodiazepines appear to be effective in treating the symptoms of anxiety, but to the best of my knowledge, the physiological basis of anxiety has yet to be fully elucidated.

The amygdala appears to be involved in fear responses, and CB1 receptors are highly expressed in this region, so I speculate that perhaps cannabis-provoked anxiety involves the amygdala to an extent. However, I cannot affirm it.

Thus, we have that THC appears to affect the dopaminergic system, presumably through its agonism of CB1 receptors. However, I do not think sufficient evidence is available to deduce that administration of antipsychotics (specifically, those acting as dopamine antagonists) would or would not interact with THC. If anyone can refer me to any research conducted on interactions between THC and dopamine antagonists, I would be interested to see it.
Old 26-02-2009, 23:07
Banned

39 y/o Male from Australia
cybergenesis needs to UTFSE some more before posting.

An interesting, in-depth reply.
Old 28-02-2009, 17:11

Male from Canada
Trylakos is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 24, Level: 1 Points: 24, Level: 1 Points: 24, Level: 1

yes this happened to SWIM. SWIM may be bordering a certain mental disorder. certain marijauna experiences seemed to be more intense then LSD or RC trips. Not as much as mushroom trips. maybe the 'naturals" seem to be more capable of getting a party going in SWIM's brain

SWIM is interested though in marijuana, and is starting to think he iss more suited to indicas than sativas
Old 18-04-2012, 18:24
Silver Member

Male from Canada
usually0 is captain of the psychonauts.usually0 is captain of the psychonauts.usually0 is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 383, Level: 3 Points: 383, Level: 3 Points: 383, Level: 3
Activity: 3.7% Activity: 3.7% Activity: 3.7%

I'm experiencing this a little too, it's just starting.

It's worrying me because I love weed so much, and my friends know me as a stoner, but weed isn't the same anymore. I'm trying the best to be normal while high, but I'm more paranoid, less socialable, and more dissociated from my surroundings. If this keeps up, I think I might have to stop, or figure out some way to deal with this.

The best advice I have that's worked for me, is to reduce your dose to an extremely low level. Smoke the tiniest hit and work up, until you feel high, but not uncomfortable. I find I want to smoke more, and my friends all smoke more, and they encourage me to smoke more, but doing so ruins the experience and it's best to stick low for me.

It's hard to stay low when you used to smoke so much, but I think it's a reality I and possibly you have to face.

Or stop using.

Share this on:

Tags
cannabis health risks, cannabis psychosis, dopamine, dopamine agonist, marijuana psychosis