Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Downers and sleeping pills > Benzodiazepines
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Benzodiazepines All about benzodiazepines (downers)

Old 05-02-2009, 01:33

26 y/o Male from United States
gimmevikes should review received reputation comments.
Points: 98, Level: 1 Points: 98, Level: 1 Points: 98, Level: 1
Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5%
Taking a benzo dose every day, how long could one go before being physically hooked?

Hi I was wondering how long someone can take a benzo like xanax, klonopin, ativan, etc before they become physically dependent? Swim is perscribed xanax. Usually 50 1mg pills every time he gets a script. Swim will take 1-3 mg every day for 2 weeks or more or less, however long they last. Swim tries to slighty ween off by lowering the dose when he knows he's almost out. Swim usually feels not too bad when the pills are out. Definetally more social anxiety, but sleeping isn't too bad. I was wondering how much longer SWIM would have taken xanax or any other benzo to make the physical withdrawals really bad. Any known stories, information, input or opinions are wanted!! thanks!
Old 05-02-2009, 02:45

Male
panic82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 26, Level: 1 Points: 26, Level: 1 Points: 26, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Taking a benzo dose every day, how long could one go before being physically hook

Benzo dependence is a feeling of that social anxiety that swiy experiences without the alprazolam. When it becomes too difficult to bear, and swiy resorts to taking an alprazolam, swiy is hooked.

Taking a benzo everyday will not help swiy's case unless no alternatives exist in addition, such as SSRI/SNRIs or therapy. If one must take a benzo everyday a longer acting benzo would be a better choice. Alprazolam 1 mg is a sticky dose of one of the more potent benzos. The duration of alprazolam usually leads to rebound anxiety especially after 2 months of use when tolerance risk has developed. A longer acting benzo that inhibits its own metabolism is a better maintenance route for benzo therapy. Lorazepam is best tolerated and is usually front line, followed by the potent clonazepam or lesser potent diazepam, then alprazolam if response is seen by none of the other benzos.

Benzos should be used at least 72 hours apart but can be used up to 3 times a week to avoid issues of tolerance/dependence. Despite the differences in the half lives among benzos they are all best indicated for use as needed. Good luck
Old 09-02-2009, 18:53
Banned

34 y/o Male
soma is captain of the psychonauts.soma is captain of the psychonauts.
Re: Taking a benzo dose every day, how long could one go before being physically hook

According to the full prescribing information, seizures were reported after 3 months of 4mg/day or above. - http://www.rxlist.com/xanax-drug.htm

After 6 weeks of therapy (any dose) in panic disorder patients, roughly 30% were not able to taper off alprazolam. Based on this information, it seems that physical dependance can occur in as little as 6 weeks of daily usage. Psychological addiction, however, would probably be more subjective to SWIM's personal addiction liability, personality, and history. If SWIM feels that he has a high potential for addiction, or a past history of drug addiction, he may want to exercise extra precautions to ensure he does not develop a problem. For example, after a week of daily usage, take 3 days to a week off. SWIM surely does not want to deal with severe benzodiazepine addiction, especially on one of the most potent and addictive triazolobenzodiazepines- arguably the worst physical addiction. Should SWIM encounter a physical addiction, he should taper the dose slowly (and, if available, switch to diazepam) to prevent the highly dangerous benzodiazepine withdrawel-induced seizures.
Old 17-02-2009, 17:38

30 y/o Male from United States
chaawuu is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 9, Level: 1 Points: 9, Level: 1 Points: 9, Level: 1

SWIM has been taking 10 mg of lexapro and 50 mg of tramadol upon waking, and 12.5mg of clonapazem 4 times a day for just under 2 months. SWIM also has very strong social anxiety and believes that clonapazem is a life saver. as of now SWIM doesn't feel hooked to the benzo. that being said, SWIM has yet to miss a day of SWIM's cocktail since starting.

before SWIM started his current cocktail, SWIM used 1mg of alprazolam daily and felt hooked after a month's use, feeling the need to increase the dose to feel the same effects.

SWIM believes it's best to use the minimum effective dose of any potentially addictive substance.
Old 17-02-2009, 22:59

Male from China
69klwong is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1

i've been addicted to erimin 5 for 6-7 yrs, can someone teach me how to quit? my max dosage was 10 pills a day, now i've lowered it to 2 pills a day.. i really wanna quit, pls help.
Old 19-02-2009, 07:19
Psychedelic Shepherdess

37 y/o Female from United Kingdom
Jatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 10,860, Level: 15 Points: 10,860, Level: 15 Points: 10,860, Level: 15
Activity: 6.8% Activity: 6.8% Activity: 6.8%

Please take a look at the downers addiction forum for help and advice and support 69KLwong. It is here... http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=288

In terms of the OP's question, tolerance to benzo effects can occur with as little as 14 days of regular use. This is not the same as dependence/addiction, but gives an idea that the time frames involved may be much shorter than expected

Drugs with a swift duration of action (eg: Alprazolam) are likely to be more positively reinforcing, and cause more rebound anxiety towards the end of a dose, which means that a monkey can quickly get into a cycle of continued use and dose escalation.
Old 19-02-2009, 20:44
Palladium Member

Female from United States
pinksox really knows their shit.pinksox really knows their shit.pinksox really knows their shit.pinksox really knows their shit.pinksox really knows their shit.pinksox really knows their shit.pinksox really knows their shit.pinksox really knows their shit.pinksox really knows their shit.
Points: 1,472, Level: 5 Points: 1,472, Level: 5 Points: 1,472, Level: 5
Activity: 5.6% Activity: 5.6% Activity: 5.6%

Quote:
i've been addicted to erimin 5 for 6-7 yrs, can someone teach me how to quit? my max dosage was 10 pills a day, now i've lowered it to 2 pills a day.. i really wanna quit, pls help.

69klwong. Please start a new thread so members can reply directly to your cats situation without getting things mixed up with the answers of those of the OP's thread. I'm sure other members with that knowledge would be glad to help you in your own thread. Again, no one here uses illicit substances. But a lot seem to have issues they want to help their cats or penguins recover from.

Please peruse:
http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40997

And here especially:
http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/ann....php?f=195&a=1

Protect yourself, other members, and the board by knowing and following the guidelines

Last edited by pinksox; 19-02-2009 at 20:50.

Share this on:

Tags
addicted, addiction, anxiety, benzo, benzo addiction, benzo dose, benzodiazepines, dependence, dependency, drugs-forum, erimin, ghb, klonopin, love, rebound anxiety, xanax