Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > RECOVERY & ADDICTION > Drug Addiction & Recovery > Opiate addiction
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Opiate addiction Support for coping with Opiate addiction and Opiate addiction treatment.

Old 02-02-2009, 20:11
Silver Member

Male from United Kingdom
drguildo is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 164, Level: 2 Points: 164, Level: 2 Points: 164, Level: 2
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Difference Between Withdrawal And Cold/Flu

This is probably a stupid question but SWIM couldn't find an answer. SWIM was looking at lists of opiate withdrawal symptoms and they pretty much all seem the same as having a cold or the flu. Having said that SWIM read in the myths thread that withdrawal isn't like having the flu, but not why it isn't. SWIM was wondering what is the difference?

SWIM isn't necessarily talking about withdrawal after years of heavy use every day, but even just mild withdrawal after occasional use of "weaker" opiates.

Thanks.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Hardly a stupid question, but an important aspect of understanding addiction. Hope this proves fruitful
Old 02-02-2009, 23:23
Banned

28 y/o Male
chillinwill is a true resource and beyond reputechillinwill is a true resource and beyond reputechillinwill is a true resource and beyond reputechillinwill is a true resource and beyond reputechillinwill is a true resource and beyond reputechillinwill is a true resource and beyond reputechillinwill is a true resource and beyond reputechillinwill is a true resource and beyond reputechillinwill is a true resource and beyond reputechillinwill is a true resource and beyond reputechillinwill is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 27,071, Level: 23 Points: 27,071, Level: 23 Points: 27,071, Level: 23
Re: Difference Between Withdrawal And Cold/Flu

Even with just mild withdrawal, one would certainly be able to differentiate between the two. This has been the experience with Red Rock. Even before he got a big habit and went through what would be considered mild withdrawal, it still felt worse than the flu. It's one of the things that is hard to explain and just have to go through it to know exactly what it feels like. Plus, this just describes the physical aspect of withdrawal and not the psychological.

Answered my question clearly.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:04
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

28 y/o Male from United States
drug-bot must live here.drug-bot must live here.drug-bot must live here.drug-bot must live here.drug-bot must live here.drug-bot must live here.drug-bot must live here.
Points: 1,405, Level: 5 Points: 1,405, Level: 5 Points: 1,405, Level: 5

the mental symptoms like insomnia, extreme anxiety, intense drug craving, major depression, are not flu symptoms. most of the physical aspects do resemble a flu though, a flu on steroids, you also have diarrah(s/p?) dont think thats a symptom of the flu.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:51
Silver Member

Female from United Kingdom
madfan is learning how to become a psychonaut.

Swim posted a reply to a similar question a few weeks ago and will reiterate.Imho comparing opiate withdrawals to flu is like comparing a bad bout of flu to a sneeze.Swim cannot give an adequate description of the symptoms and can only say even mild withdrawals feel as if every cell in her body is screaming out for the release that only opiates can give.There is no respite,no rest because there is no sleep.The psychological withdrawals are horrible and along with the fact that this can go on for weeks is the added kicker of time being stretched.Yes folks,an hour will seem like three or four.And not in a nice trippy way either.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:18
Palladium Member

48 y/o Male from United States
rokman nash really knows their shit.rokman nash really knows their shit.rokman nash really knows their shit.rokman nash really knows their shit.rokman nash really knows their shit.rokman nash really knows their shit.rokman nash really knows their shit.rokman nash really knows their shit.rokman nash really knows their shit.
Points: 1,560, Level: 6 Points: 1,560, Level: 6 Points: 1,560, Level: 6

The similarities are runny nose,leaking eyes,sneezing,and general feeling shitty.Saying that multiply by 100 or 1000 and add the shits,shaking,tremors,heart palpitations,sweating,freezing,restless leg syn.,and mental anguish and you have basic opiate withdrawals.

Good thoughts

Old 03-02-2009, 09:53
Titanium Member

43 y/o Male from United Kingdom
AvidFan probably knows what they are talking about.AvidFan probably knows what they are talking about.AvidFan probably knows what they are talking about.AvidFan probably knows what they are talking about.AvidFan probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 790, Level: 4 Points: 790, Level: 4 Points: 790, Level: 4

Although it can vary physically in severity from one person to the next, one of the very big differences is pyschological - with flu, you know you just have to go to bed and get better. With WD's, you have the added torture of knowing that a little bit of your opiate of choice would have you feeling totally back to normal in no time at all, and your body and mind just keep digging in the knife, and all the time, you could go back to feeling great just by using again.

succinct answer,but absolutely spot-on.This is the profound difference.
Old 03-02-2009, 15:01
Silver Member

Male from United Kingdom

Thanks guys.

SWIM has been doing stuff like codeine and DHC once a day every 2 or 3 days for about 3 months and not more than 240mg. Every time he gets cold/fly symptoms he gets paranoid it's WDs. However, SWIM doesn't get any of the psychological symptoms described. He "wants" to do drugs (because he enjoys them), but is pretty sure he doesn't "crave" them in that he has no trouble going without the days inbetween.

I guess SWIM will carry on as usual being cautious.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:15
Palladium Member

48 y/o Male from United States
rokman nash really knows their shit.rokman nash really knows their shit.rokman nash really knows their shit.rokman nash really knows their shit.rokman nash really knows their shit.rokman nash really knows their shit.rokman nash really knows their shit.rokman nash really knows their shit.rokman nash really knows their shit.
Points: 1,560, Level: 6 Points: 1,560, Level: 6 Points: 1,560, Level: 6

Did you hear my friend clearly or not. There are no mild w/d's from opiaties. This aint the fucking flu,keep going and swim will feel the fucking pain.

Quit or not ,but it just gets worse every day.
Old 04-02-2009, 14:34
Silver Member

Male from United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokman nash View Post
There are no mild w/d's from opiaties.
Google says otherwise.

Quote:
This aint the fucking flu,keep going and swim will feel the fucking pain.
I don't understand. Are you saying that if SWIM carries on taking 240mg of codeine/DHC occasionally then SWIM will get the generic opiate WD's you mention? The same WD's of somebody who has a gramme a day heroin habit? I find that hard to believe.

Last edited by drguildo; 04-02-2009 at 17:10.
Old 04-02-2009, 15:40
Titanium Member

43 y/o Male from United Kingdom
AvidFan probably knows what they are talking about.AvidFan probably knows what they are talking about.AvidFan probably knows what they are talking about.AvidFan probably knows what they are talking about.AvidFan probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 790, Level: 4 Points: 790, Level: 4 Points: 790, Level: 4

Read around the forum - there are people taking lesser amounts of codeine (who started occasionally) who are now hooked, and suffer varying degress of WD symptoms if they don't take their codeine.

It's a treadmill it's advisable not to get on, at whatever speed its set to. Think what Rok and I are saying is, be very very careful.
Old 04-02-2009, 17:20
Silver Member

Male from United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidFan View Post
It's a treadmill it's advisable not to get on, at whatever speed its set to. Think what Rok and I are saying is, be very very careful.
That's what SWIM is trying to do. If SWIM wasn't being careful then they wouldn't have got me to ask my initial question.

I have a hard time believing the "whatever speed it's set to" stuff as well. I mean common sense dictates that if somebody only partook, say, once a year, they wouldn't develop a problem. So it follows that there is some point at which addiction ceases to be a problem. I think scare stories and being overly dramatic don't help.

I suppose this is the wrong place to discuss this as the vast majority of people who use this sub-forum are people who either have a problem or had a problem and so I suppose the idea that gets reinforced (simply because there are little to no examples to the contrary) is that it's inevitable that given enough time anyone will become hooked. Ho hum.

this was a good question,but no-one in opiate w/ds NEEDS to 'over-dramatise'-it's hell

Share this on:

Tags
codeine, codeine withdrawal, drug, heroin, heroine, hydrocodone, mdpv, methadone, narcotic, opiate, opiate withdrawal, opiate withdrawals, opiates, opioid, opoid, vicodin, withdrawal, withdrawal symptoms, withdrawals

» New Threads
Is it necessary to dissolve...
Last post by sindale1
0 Replies, 3 Views
Taking Small dose of pure mdma...
Last post by zenchicken
2 Replies, 112 Views
What exactly causes the nausea...
Last post by Butter Bigsby
3 Replies, 168 Views
Why do amphetamines cause to shit...
Last post by UniversalSkye