Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Ethnobotanicals > Kratom
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Kratom Mitragyna speciosa

Old 24-04-2005, 18:38
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Male
sands of time probably knows what they are talking about.sands of time probably knows what they are talking about.sands of time probably knows what they are talking about.sands of time probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 2,598, Level: 7 Points: 2,598, Level: 7 Points: 2,598, Level: 7
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Growing kratom plants

In the near future, I would like to begin growing a few kratom trees in my house. It is starting to warm up here in Michigan, or at least it was so I should purchase the trees soon. I have found a few places to purchase the trees at a decent price. I plan to let them grow outside during the summer, then trim the trees at the end of the summer so I can bring them back in my house. I have a few questions though...

1) Are there any places to buy high alkoloid trees?

2) How much sunlight, water, ect do these things need?

3) What are the optimal temperature ranges?

4) How do I know when it is time to harvest?

5) When I put these things outside, will animals or insects damage them?

6) Do these trees deplete the nutrients in the soil fast?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 24-04-2005, 19:11

37 y/o Male from United States
panchovilla should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Points: 190, Level: 2 Points: 190, Level: 2 Points: 190, Level: 2
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

Does kratom grow in swamps?Edited by: panchovilla
Old 24-04-2005, 20:21

http://www.crystalrecovery.com/News/Thai.html

This is interesting link. It talks about Thai police,and as sorry as our think our gov is they are Sumeritans compared to these devilish Thai bastards. So I guess usAmericans, usaers, do have somethings to be very thankful for. I think kratom would be considered a tropical plant. It says that chewing the leaves is good for you, but higher doses could be damaging. I have only heard about the harmful effects in regards to 10+years of use.

http://www.erowid.org/plants/kratom/kratom_cultivation1.shtm l

This link from erowid says that plants grown in cold climates and hothouse are considered weak, and the reason is unkown. They also admit that this is just second hand info and could befabricated and fradulent statementsby suppliers to discourage others from growing there own shit(i said the second part not erowid). There are lots of crooked lying motherfuckers in this planet dust, short little dream for devils.

This is the same problem I always find when looking for cultivation info about kratom. Just a bunch of fucking wannabe shaman vendors, just kiddingI am onetoo, and no real info on the cultivation of the plant.

If anyone has a bad ass link on the cultivation of kratom please post it here, and it will be much appreciated.Edited by: panchovilla
Old 25-04-2005, 02:01
Productive insomniac
Administrator

98 y/o Male from Netherlands
Alfa is a true resource and beyond reputeAlfa is a true resource and beyond reputeAlfa is a true resource and beyond reputeAlfa is a true resource and beyond reputeAlfa is a true resource and beyond reputeAlfa is a true resource and beyond reputeAlfa is a true resource and beyond reputeAlfa is a true resource and beyond reputeAlfa is a true resource and beyond reputeAlfa is a true resource and beyond reputeAlfa is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 82,425, Level: 41 Points: 82,425, Level: 41 Points: 82,425, Level: 41
Activity: 46.4% Activity: 46.4% Activity: 46.4%
Growing from seed is very difficult. You need Kratom plants or cuttings to start with. To bad, you can't order them from Australia anymore.
Old 25-04-2005, 11:17

Male
sands of time probably knows what they are talking about.sands of time probably knows what they are talking about.sands of time probably knows what they are talking about.sands of time probably knows what they are talking about.
I read that wind is important in the production of the key alkoloids. That is why greenhouses don't work at all.
Old 25-04-2005, 19:15

That is interesting. Where did you read that? Do you still have the link? It would becool to have a kratom tree even if it didn't produce the key alkaloids. Gardening is very rewarding.

Last edited by panchovilla; 06-03-2007 at 03:20.
Old 25-04-2005, 23:41

Male
I read it on a yahoo kratom group forum. I can't find the link, but it is pretty well documented that kratom does not produce mitragynine in greenhouses. When I take the plants indoors, a fan might have some effect, but I don't think this would be enough.
Old 27-06-2005, 01:28
Productive insomniac
Administrator

Alfa is a true resource and beyond reputeAlfa is a true resource and beyond reputeAlfa is a true resource and beyond reputeAlfa is a true resource and beyond reputeAlfa is a true resource and beyond reputeAlfa is a true resource and beyond reputeAlfa is a true resource and beyond reputeAlfa is a true resource and beyond reputeAlfa is a true resource and beyond reputeAlfa is a true resource and beyond reputeAlfa is a true resource and beyond repute
I have tried chewing dried kratom, but I found it to suck. Would be great to grow some fresh leaves. Did anyone try growing kratom yet? Does anyone know if it is easy to root a Kratom cutting?
Old 27-06-2005, 01:39
Productive insomniac
Administrator

I found this about growing kratom:

An evergreen tropical tree, it grows to a height of 15m with a spread of 5m. The stem is erect and branching; the leaves are glossy and dark green, opposite and ovate-acuminate; the flowers are yellow and occurr in spheres. A native of Thailand and Malaysia, it prefers humus rich, wet soils in a protected position, and is drought and frost tender. Seedlings need to be very well protected from sun and wind, but the maturing plant is quite hardy.
Propagation is by very fresh seed or by cuttings (low strike rate due to endogenous fungus attacking the xylem tissue). Seed viability decreases in a matter of days and any seed offered for sale is bound to be unviable!!

Kratom plants can be purchased from some online merchants and botanical supply houses. They can be grown as house plants (but will have to be cut back because they can grow quite large). They can be grown under florescent lights. They do not tolerate frost, but can be grown outdoors in pots in summer in temperate climates. They can be grown outdoors all year in frost-free climates, provided the humidity is not too low. They should be lightly fertilized every few weeks. They can be propagated from cuttings

Kratom prefers wet, humus-rich soils in a protected position. Being a heavy feeder, it requires very rich, fertile soil. It is drought sensitive, and if grown out of its native habitat, sensitive to frost. Propagation is by very fresh seed or cuttings. There is a low strike rate, due to a fungus which attacks xylem tissue.
Only little is known about growing kratom. Seeds and cuttings are very hard to find. Kratom cuttings are considered somewhat difficult to grow, though the plants themselves, once established, are relatively hardy. Because of the difficulty in getting cuttings to root, many people are experimenting with cloning. Two of the primary difficulties with cuttings appear to be that they are either attacked by fungus or simply never put out roots. Suggestions for dealing with these problems include:

- putting the cutting in water with an air bubbler to increase oxygen levels;
- using a small amount of fungicide in the water to ward of fungus growth;
- changing the water every day to reduce chances of fungus.

One person has found success using rock wool to hold the cutting in moisture while still allowing air flow, changing the water every day to cut down on fungus growth, and adding nutrients as roots start to grow.
It has been reported that the leaves of M. speciosa are most potent in the late autumn, just before the leaves fall off. It has been noted that plants grown in cold climates are weak. Plants grown in subtropical or warm temperate climate are weak in late winter and spring, but potent in late summer autumn and early winter. Most plants grown in a hothouse are also weak (reason not understood).

It does well under fluorescents after you get it shipped to you to adapt. It's natural habitat has high heat and humidity, but it isn't required to grow well. It can stay outside till frost in the midwest US. Lightly fertilize every few weeks and it will explode with growth. It is an easy houseplant until it gets larger.

1. Can Kratom be grown hydroponically? I'm thinking either a bubbler or drip-based system.

Kratom loves lots of water, so i don't see why not. Being a boggy plant it will be much more tolerant of low oxygen condition than other plants, ie now need for lots of aeration.

2. If so, how big of a growing chamber and nutrient resevoir would you need?

I've seen one 3m tall tree in a 50L selfwatering pot. Although this is a soil filled pot, it does give a guide to the size possible (basically the soil was a sandy medium that did not provide much other than support - nutrients came from regular watering with thrive).

3. What type and how much nutrients are needed?

It's a gross feeder once established, so my guess is *plenty*.

4. Light!
a. How much light does Kratom need per day?

No reason why you can't grow it under 24/7. That will also keep the temperature steady.

c. Is there any need to vary the light cycle - like with Marijuana, you induce flowering by switching from (for example) 24 hour light to just 12 hours per day. Is there any similar sort of need with Kratom?

Do you want flowers?? I didn't think so, so no need to vary.

d. Along the same lines, does Kratom *need* to flower in order to produce Mitragynine?

no.

e. Do HID lamps (HPS or MH) work well with the plant?

Yes, but watch for crisping of the leaves. Kratom is a rainforest tree, so it prefers high humidity and when young a little shade. Grow your first plants along the margin of your grow room, far away from the bulb. bring them closer as they grow.

5. Can one plant produce enough leaf to satisfy one person's use (say, two times per week)? At what size can it do so, and how long does it take to get this big?

It will take a year or two to get to the right size, and then it still won't be enough with just one plant. I don't think there is enough experience with this yet to find an answer, so share it here when you find out

6. Any other recommendations on how to increase leaf production?

A fan. I am certain that wind has a lot to do with tougheing up the leaves and only tough leaves are potent.

7. Any recommendations on how to increase the potency (or Mitragynine concentration)?

Wind and other occasional stresses.Edited by: Alfa

Post Quality Evaluations:
Superb!!!!!
Old 27-06-2005, 01:49
Productive insomniac
Administrator

Does anyone know how fast Kratom grows?
Old 28-06-2005, 01:50
Productive insomniac
Administrator

Written by Frappy:

Since there is not much information available online about how to care for this plant, I figured I'd do a write up offering what information I have been able to learn and gather. Please familiarize yourself with these instructions thoroughly; Kratom is not the easiest plant to accommodate.

If you are fortunate enough to acquire one of these wonderful, rare plants chances are you will be receiving a live rooted cutting. Kratom is viable by seed for only a few weeks, so cuttings are the most common way to propagate this plant. The plant can be purchased online if you know where to find it, but it is often out of stock, as it is rare and a moderately difficult plant to grow and care for. Do not be discouraged, your new plant will thrive, given the proper care and attention.

When your plant arrives, carefully remove the plant from the box, minding use of sharp instruments, cut the tape, not the box in a warmer area, free from drafts to avoid dehydration. Carefully remove all packaging disturbing the plant as little as possible. Your plant may or may not be noticeably wilted. This is to be expected from the shock of transport. Do not be alarmed if it looks a little 'sad'. Keep plant away from direct artificial or natural light for at least a day. A dimly lit room, such as the counter or table top in front of drawn shades or blinds is considered indirect lighting. It needs to adjust to the new environment.

Water the plant generously, but do not allow to stand in water for more than 2-3 hours per day. The plant should 'perk' up within a few hours. Give another drink if needed after being revived.

This plant will need acclimation to direct sunlight. You may acclimate it by gradually increasing the amount of daily exposure 30 minutes to 1 hour per day over the next week or two. Any greater exposure to direct sunlight may risk significant sunburn. Keep a close eye on the plant and adjust accordingly.

Kratom is a very interesting species that will require VERY well-drained soil. I highly recommend Miracle-Gro potting mix as an excellent source of nutrients for proper leaf production and plant stability. Kratom requires an ample amount of lighting that is very bright, however not harsh sun. If adequate lighting is not maintained consistently, leaf drop will occur quite severely until the plant can use what light is available. You may find the use of fluorescent lighting to be amicable and ultimately will be easier to control during the shorter winter months. Consider the plant's native habit, Thailand and Africa, where the tropical zones are moist and warm and days are long. Should artificial lighting be impractical for your needs, 4-5 hours of early morning sun should be sufficient.

The temperature that you may find comfortable will ultimately make your new plant comfortable. Much higher than 90 degrees F and leaf production is slowed slightly, although the plant loves plenty of humidity and higher temps. Much lower than 50 degrees F and the plant will stop growing pretty much altogether; remaining dormant until warmer temperatures are maintained all the while, dropping nearly every leaf. Please understand this plant is tropical in nature and will not survive freezing temperatures.

You should want to water when the very top of soil becomes slightly dry in appearance or to touch. Lack of sufficient water will result in smaller stunted leaves and much slower growth. Misting once or twice daily will help alleviate stress of a drier climate as well help prevent many opportunities for pests which often prefer the dry undersides and joints of plants in general. Kratom prefers fairly damp, VERY well-drained potting soil. I use ONLY miracle-gro potting mix for the Kratom. No moss, no vermiculite, nothing but the potting mix. Root growth, again, is rather slow, allowing you to keep the plant potted longer.

If you do not keep the soil moistened, the leaves will still continue to grow, however, they seem to have a slightly sticky resin that keeps them clasped together before they are actually released from the xylem meristem tissue. The higher the relative moisture the plant is exposed to, the less viscous the sticky resin is; which in turn, allows the mirrored leaves to easily separate from each other. If the moisture content drops even a little, the resin becomes more sticky and the leaflets hold together more tightly. The leaves still emerge, but the stickiness tends to tear the edges slightly like this:

If the moisture content is balanced the leaves will open freely and appear with no tears or serration's like so:

The hard part is just getting the balance between too much and too little, something that is difficult to make 100% perfect because of the ever-changing humidity indoors. A humidifier can be used in combination with misting to emulate a rain forest as best as possible, but don't worry if you have the problems of leaf tears and serrations. The leaves are still very practical, just not as 'pretty'.

The main concern I have found for good leaf production to remain, and the leaves not to fall, is adequate lighting. This plant is going to require more lighting than most plants. If lighting is not appropriate, leaves fall from here to kingdom come. Increasing light exposure to 15 hours timed artificial lighting has shown successful results. I recommend one 40-watt fluorescent GE Gro Tube and one 40-watt Solar spectrum aquarium light. It's buy far the cheapest fix (electricity-wise), however you may have more suitable lighting, or find other ways. Watch your plant closely and you will learn to accommodate it to the most suitable growing environment.

As I have mentioned before, insects are very attracted to Kratom plants. If you chose to put your plant outside, watch it closely. Within one day you may see significant damage to leaves. If this occurs, bring the plant inside immediately. The use of pesticides are strongly discouraged if you plan on using this plant for its medicinal qualities. You can put it in a windowsill and mist daily, but artificial lighting may be more suitable for faster growth. Indoor pests to be aware of are cats. If you share your home with a cat, consider putting the plant in a location that your frisky feline will not be tempted to disturb the plant. Cats have been known to eat the leaves of the plant. While this is not healthy for your plant, there are no known dangers to your cat. It is unlikely that a cat would eat enough of a this plant to experience noticeable side effects.

Kratom leaf with dammage caused by insects:

Kratom plant with dammage from being chewed on by a curious cat:

Watch your plant closely and you will learn to accommodate it to the most suitable growing environment. With lots of love and care your Kratom plant can eventually grow up to be a Kratom tree.
Old 27-07-2005, 06:05

mescalifornia is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 13, Level: 1 Points: 13, Level: 1 Points: 13, Level: 1
can anyone post websites or a website that provides kratom tree cuttings?it would begreatly appreciated
Old 17-10-2005, 17:46

I finally got a couple kratom trees acouple weeks back. One, which was rooted and grown in a hydro system, looked sad, at first,because it was adjusting. It has now put out a new set of leaves, and working on another. The otherplant was shorter but already had three branches. It never appeared stressed due to the shipping and relocation, but has not grown much yet. I have brought them inside at night because it has gotten down into the upper fifties at night a couple times. One interesting thing that I read is that whenever the temperatures are over 90 the trees may drop leaves. In summer here it reaches above 90 on a daily basis. I also found someone who claims to grow kratom trees outside year round in Pasedena, which is not far from here, but still there is a great differnece in what can make itoutside year round.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Informative
Old 17-10-2005, 21:14
Productive insomniac
Administrator

If possible, please post pics now and then.
Old 17-10-2005, 21:46

Tongues of the ancient ones

from the unseen landEdited by: panchovilla
Old 18-10-2005, 00:08

Male
From my past reading, high humidity and age are the two most important factors in growing potent kratom. Rich soil is also very helpful. It's important to remember that kratom trees grow in tropical swamp conditions, and there arn't many of those in the States, Europe, ect. I have never grown it myself though, as I think there is a large chance of failure.

After doing a little research, this is all th info I could dig up on growing good kratom, and I feel that there is alot of sketchy info. Good luck to anyone attempting to cultivate this tricky tree.

http://www.drugs-forum.com/kratom-growing.html
Old 22-10-2005, 23:02

Freedom isn't free.Edited by: panchovilla
Old 26-10-2005, 09:51
Silver Member

Male
Ninja Master is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 228, Level: 2 Points: 228, Level: 2 Points: 228, Level: 2

wow, i just got one of these plants put in the mail to me a few days
ago and had no idea of what it was. im impresed with this
thread. i read on another forum that you can bonsi any
plant. so since this tree gets soooo large, along with my soon to
be friend mimosa hostilis, could anyone help me with bonsi. then
again im already answering my own questions!!!! check this
out!!!!! i bet this plant will be a snap to have in the office
for when i need to get loaded on the job!
<a href="http://www.bonsaisite.com/" target="_blank">
http://www.bonsaisite.com/</a>

Edited by: Ninja Master
Old 26-10-2005, 18:17

I think the Mimosa would make a great a bonsai specimen, but I think the kratom would be better to let get larger and grow naturally. Sure you could trim it back if it were to outgrow the space in your office, but that is not bonsai in the traditional sense.
Old 26-10-2005, 18:25
Productive insomniac
Administrator

Pancho, is that Salvia splendens in the background?
Old 27-10-2005, 00:14

little fluffy cloudsEdited by: panchovilla
Old 06-11-2005, 05:14

Female from Earth
latrucino is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1
I have ordered kratom seeds twice.The first time I was told they had none so I tried someone else and am still waiting (2 weeks now).I personally thing growing kratom is an exellent idea .Even if the alkaloids are weak ,you will have a tree,not just a little plant.Therefore the weak content doesnt really matter to me.I will keep posting on this.
Old 06-11-2005, 07:30
Silver Member

Male from Guam
a-SalviaLover is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 343, Level: 2 Points: 343, Level: 2 Points: 343, Level: 2
I am dreaming of having an Entheobotanical Garden some day. LEt's hope that my dream will come true!
Old 15-11-2005, 14:55

Female from Earth
latrucino is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1
The seeds arrived and they are in the soil,I will keep you all posted.
Old 14-04-2006, 22:08
Palladium Member

Male from United States
bman1 probably knows what they are talking about.bman1 probably knows what they are talking about.bman1 probably knows what they are talking about.bman1 probably knows what they are talking about.bman1 probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 864, Level: 4 Points: 864, Level: 4 Points: 864, Level: 4
growing kratom?

Swib know someone who has a rooted cutting. Swim was wondering what information is out there for growing and how to take a cutting? Can they be established outside in non-tropical places?

Share this on:

Tags
cloning, cultivate, cultivation, drugs-forum, europe, fungicide, grow room, growing kratom, humidifier, hydroponics, kratom, kratom cultivation, kratom seeds, kratom trees, lst