Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Ethnobotanicals
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Ethnobotanicals Psychedelic plants, Iboga, Calea, Blue lotus, Ephedra, Sinicuichi, Betel nut, etc.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:17

26 y/o Male from Lithuania
amorphus should review received reputation comments.
are there any herbal antipsychotics ?

Hello
Is there any herbal antipsychotics?
Old 10-01-2009, 12:25
Silver Member

Male
TommyRowe is a decent psychonaut.TommyRowe is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 160, Level: 2 Points: 160, Level: 2 Points: 160, Level: 2
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Schizophrenia

In themselves, no. A study awhile back tried to test the effectiveness of combining herbal medicine with traditional medicine. The combination showed a tad bit more improvement over traditional medication alone, however herbal medication cannot replace the effectiveness of prescribed medication by itself.

Use it as a supplement if anything. Not a replacement.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:26
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Male from Netherlands
robin_himself must live here.robin_himself must live here.robin_himself must live here.robin_himself must live here.robin_himself must live here.robin_himself must live here.robin_himself must live here.
Points: 1,114, Level: 5 Points: 1,114, Level: 5 Points: 1,114, Level: 5

Enicostema axillare (LAM.) RAYNAL

Botanical Name
:Enicostema axillare (LAM.) RAYNAL
English Name
:Indian Gentian
Synonym(s)
:Adenema hyssopifolia G. Don., Cicendia hyssopifolia Wight & Arn., Enicostema verticillare Baill., Enicostema littorale auct. non Blume, Exacum hyssopifolium Willd., Gentiana axillare Lam., Gentiana verticillata L., Slevogtia orientalis Griseb.

Family
:Gentianaceae

DescriptionA glabrous perennial herb 10 to 50 cm high with ribbed, quadrangular stems; younger parts glacous green; rootstock stout. Leaves opposite, decussate, sessile, linear to elliptic-oblong or lanceolate, 3.2 to 6.3 cm long and 0.3 to 1.6 cm wide, apex obtuse or acute, tapering at base, 3-nerved. Flowers white or bluish, sessile in whorled axillary clusters; calyx 3 mm long, lobes 1.5 mm long, ovate-oblong, obtuse, with narrow membranous margins. Fruit (capsule) ovoid to subglobose, 3 to 4 mm long and 3 mm in diameter, faintly grooved on 2 opposite sides; seeds subglobose to rhomboid, 0.5 mm long, reticulate.

Herb Effects The plant is pungent and very bitter; anthelmintic. It is also considered to have tonic, stomachic and laxative properties, stimulates the heart; antipsychotic and antiinflammatory (plant); carminative.

Medicinal UseSnakebite and fever (plant decoction); as a carminative, a restorative agent and in diabetes. The crushed plant mixed with water is used as a restorative. The whole plant, dried, powdered and mixed with honey, is used as a blood-purifier and to relieve dropsy, rheumatism, abdominal ulcers, hernia, swellings, itches, insect poisoning and to expel worms.

Reference Chandel et al., Biodiversity in Medicinal and Aromatic Plants in India.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:36
Silver Member

Male

Enicostema axillare

Ive researched this a bit... Stimulates the heart AND is used for snake bites? Doesnt make much sense to me. Dont recall the exact wording in med school but I believe its bad to have the heart stimulated, thus pumping faster, with poison coursing through your veins... Hmm, I could be wrong...

From what Ive read, I cant find where it gets the antipsychotic tendencies from. Havent been able to find a article to back that statement up. I may research this a bit more as I find this plant to be very interesting...

My question is, can it be smoked and how high will it get you ; )
Old 10-01-2009, 12:40
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Male from Netherlands
robin_himself must live here.robin_himself must live here.robin_himself must live here.robin_himself must live here.robin_himself must live here.robin_himself must live here.robin_himself must live here.
Points: 1,114, Level: 5 Points: 1,114, Level: 5 Points: 1,114, Level: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyRowe View Post

Stimulates the heart AND is used for snake bites? Doesnt make much sense to me. Dont recall the exact wording in med school but I believe its bad to have the heart stimulated, thus pumping faster, with poison coursing through your veins... Hmm, I could be wrong...
Some snake bites cause paralysis in the heart. You need to stimulate the heart to keep it pumping. This means it will not necessarily make the heart pump faster rather it will only keep it from being paralysed.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:44
Silver Member

Male

Well, as a paramedic, we NEVER EVER do anything to get the heart pumping faster. The venom cannot reach the heart no matter what so we take every preventative measure to stop that. Elevating the feet, medications to enduce controlled and temporary bradycardia etc.

I dont deal with snake bites much as I work in not only a urban setting but a tactical setting so my experiences with snake bites dont range much beyond the classroom and maybe a ride along while I was still in school... And in cases of any sort of venom attack on the system, we would never raise heart rate.
Old 18-05-2010, 06:59

Male from United States
lovemolecule is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 13, Level: 1 Points: 13, Level: 1 Points: 13, Level: 1
Re: are there any herbal antipsychotics ?

Behavioural pharmacology of polygalasaponins indicates potential antipsychotic efficacy

Abstract

Polygalasaponins were extracted from a plant (Polygala tenuifolia Willdenow) that has been prescribed for hundreds of years to treat psychotic illnesses in Korean traditional medicine. Previous in vitro binding studies suggested a potential mechanism for its antipsychotic action, as polygalasaponin was shown to have an affinity for both dopamine and serotonin receptors [Psychopharmacol. Bull. 31 (1995) 139.]. In the present study we have investigated the functional in vivo actions of this material in tests that are predictive of dopamine and serotonin antagonist activities. Polygalasaponin (25–500 mg/kg) was shown to produce a dose-related reduction in the apomorphine-induced climbing behaviour (minimum effective dose [EDmin] 25 mg/kg ip, 250 mg/kg sc and po), the 5-hydroxytryptamine (5-HTP)-induced serotonin syndrome (EDmin 50 mg/kg ip) and the MK-801-induced hyperactivity (EDmin 25 mg/kg ip) in mice. This compound also reduced the cocaine-induced hyperactivity (EDmin 25 mg/kg ip) in rats. These results demonstrated that polygalasaponin has dopamine and serotonin receptor antagonist properties in vivo. This might suggest its possible utility as an antipsychotic agent.

Polygala root is also, apparently, a potential anti-depressant (norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor).

The pinyin name for the herb is zhi yuan zhi, or just yuan zhi.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Please provide references and sources for anything copied into a post, but copying into the post is the proper way of doing it.
Old 18-05-2010, 10:45

Male from United States
Djed is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1

Tobacco
Quote:
OBJECTIVE: Research on the impact of nicotine on schizophrenia and antipsychotic medications was reviewed to determine ways to improve treatment planning for patients with schizophrenia who smoke and to evaluate smoking cessation programs for this population. METHODS: All major research databases were searched. The review focuses on reports published since 1990. RESULTS: Smoking improves processing of auditory stimuli (sensory gating) by patients with schizophrenia and may lessen negative symptoms by increasing dopamine in the nucleus accumbens and the prefrontal and frontal cortex. Use of traditional antipsychotics may result in patients' smoking more, whereas patients taking atypical antipsychotics may smoke less. Patients who smoke metabolize antipsychotics faster than nonsmoking patients. Smoking cessation programs for outpatients with schizophrenia report a success rate of about 12 percent after six months. No studies of cessation programs for chronically ill inpatients with schizophrenia have been published. Several hospitals have implemented smoking bans with equivocal results. CONCLUSIONS: Nicotine affects both schizophrenia and antipsychotic medications. Neurobiological and psychosocial factors reinforce the high use of nicotine by patients with schizophrenia

Post Quality Evaluations:
Please provide references and sources for anything copied into a post, but copying into the post is the proper way of doing it.
Old 15-06-2010, 13:19
Silver Member

27 y/o Female from United States
Lil Dragonfly is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 151, Level: 2 Points: 151, Level: 2 Points: 151, Level: 2

Electronic cigarettes have the same health benefits of the nicotine, minus the highly toxic effects of the other components of tobacco smoke.

Nicotine is beneficial in treating many brain problems, including schizophrenia, ADHD, dementia, and depression.
Old 21-10-2010, 16:20

26 y/o Male from Lithuania
amorphus should review received reputation comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Dragonfly View Post
Electronic cigarettes have the same health benefits of the nicotine, minus the highly toxic effects of the other components of tobacco smoke.

Nicotine is beneficial in treating many brain problems, including schizophrenia, ADHD, dementia, and depression.
Well, i'm trying to quit smoking, cause i feel the opposite effect of mental healing.
When i smoke or take nicotine in any other form, i'm very anxious, stressed and depressed...

Share this on:

Tags
anti psychotic, antipsychotic, antipsychotics, blue lotus, drugs