Register Tags

Notices

Old 09-11-2008, 06:30

24 y/o Male from USA - Washington
nick760 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 89, Level: 1 Points: 89, Level: 1 Points: 89, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Legal Alternatives to Adderall

SWIM is a college student. SWIM's the type of person who has a VERY difficult time focusing on things, especially when it comes to schoolwork; generally, he learns things quickly, but getting focused is the issue. SWIM is interested in legal alternatives to Adderall; for example, he likes '5 Hour Energy,' but he was wondering if there were any other products that would be particularly useful for studying. He's seen some products online but wanted to know what others suggested first before stocking up on products.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:07
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

24 y/o Male from United States
Felix Guattari probably knows what they are talking about.Felix Guattari probably knows what they are talking about.Felix Guattari probably knows what they are talking about.Felix Guattari probably knows what they are talking about.Felix Guattari probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 557, Level: 3 Points: 557, Level: 3 Points: 557, Level: 3
Re: Legal Alternatives to Adderall

Off the top of my head, the only tried-and-true chemicals I can think of that actually accomplish similar things are modafinil (scheduled but still pretty easily obtained) and
aniracetam. Piracetam is a decent concentration aid for some, but this seems only to be true for SWiM when combined with caffeine.

Some find benzadrex (containing propylhexedrine) inhalers to be a decent means to this end. I've heard reports of MDPV being used for this means as well.

There's a fairly exhaustive thread on stimulants and productivity here.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:02
Silver Member

Male from United States
100mg Methylphenidate is a decent psychonaut.100mg Methylphenidate is a decent psychonaut.

Maybe combining ginseng and ginkgo biloba? Nicotine has debatable effects in people with ADHD(not suggesting you smoke if you don't already. Extremely hard habit to quit.) Caffeine always helps me. It actually makes me calmer. I don't feel right without it. At worst couldn't swiy get an adderall/dexedrine prescription somehow? Modafinil? Swim says he doesn't think anything legal could really replace adderall...
Old 11-11-2008, 03:27
Palladium Member

26 y/o Male from United States
Graduisic really adds to the discussion.Graduisic really adds to the discussion.Graduisic really adds to the discussion.Graduisic really adds to the discussion.Graduisic really adds to the discussion.Graduisic really adds to the discussion.Graduisic really adds to the discussion.
Points: 1,232, Level: 5 Points: 1,232, Level: 5 Points: 1,232, Level: 5
Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5%

nope, nothing will reproduce adderall, but like an above post said, aniracetam is a good alternative. It doesn't provide a fraction of the speediness of adderall, since, umm, it doesn't have speed... yeah...

But the effects are quite good for motivation, too expensive to use daily, but good for use in times when one has to push themselves. Too much aniracetam will cause a bad headache, which would need choline/acetycholine to supplement (aniracetam burns up a lot of it, just like adderall). No appetite suppression as opposed to adderall either. Definitely legal and its just enough to go the extra mile when needed. Accompanied with a gingko biloba/baccopa supplement, or DMAE (seriously, check out the nootropics forum), and it may provide the focus one needs.

If it's a speed boost one needs, then try ephedra.

One of my biggest recommendations is to take a vitamin B supplement every day. Extremely helpful for cognitive support.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:11
Silver Member

26 y/o Male from United States
gmeziscool2354 probably knows what they are talking about.gmeziscool2354 probably knows what they are talking about.gmeziscool2354 probably knows what they are talking about.gmeziscool2354 probably knows what they are talking about.

um, dude, no offense but propylhexedrine is VERY similar in effects to adderal, and for all practical purposes it is legal and readily availible. so yes, there is atleast one reasonable legal alternative
Old 11-11-2008, 06:17
Ethnobotanical Cannibal

Male from United States
Bajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 7,179, Level: 12 Points: 7,179, Level: 12 Points: 7,179, Level: 12
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

My panda feels that propylhexedrine is not a worthy alternative to adderall. It will keep you awake, but the jittery stimulation you get from propylhexedrine doesn't help mental focus or clarity and it feels (and probably is) less healthy than other amphetamines. The panda used it as a last resort study aid on several occasions and probably will never use it again regardless of the circumstances. The extremely weak payoff (both recreational and as productivity aid) paired with the many irritating and unhealthy side effects makes propylhexedrine not worth it.

Yerba maté may be worth looking at. Similar to coffee and other caffeine containing products, but different feel. Some like the stimulation better than what they would experience with just caffeine (less jittery). Swiy may want to check it out.

My panda found that a daily piracetam and choline (sometimes other nootropics also) regimen helped him with his morning classes, and that it pairs nicely with caffeine. Swiy should check out the Nootropics Forum for more info.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:32
Silver Member

Male from United States
100mg Methylphenidate is a decent psychonaut.100mg Methylphenidate is a decent psychonaut.

I can't find any scientific evidence at all that yerba mate is less jittery than good old coffee. All I can find is anecdotal evidence. Theobromide itself, the other main alkaloid besides caffeine in yerba mate, appears to have extremely limited effects, even at much higher doses than are in yerba mate. I get the jist that it's probably just due to the fact that yerba mate has a much lower caffeeine content than coffee. I am a heavy coffee drinker and I get almost no energy from yerba mate personally. Although, it is quite healthy and tasty.

Not that I'm necessarily right, but do you have any links to suggest otherwise? I would be quite interested. Seriously. I searched this for hours on google and couldn't find any reason that this could be true, except maybe for the B vitamins in yerba mate.

Post Quality Evaluations:
nice post, informative, inquisitive, not affraid to question mods
Old 11-11-2008, 17:10
Titanium Member

Male from Afghanistan
Milk man is captain of the psychonauts.Milk man is captain of the psychonauts.Milk man is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 268, Level: 2 Points: 268, Level: 2 Points: 268, Level: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mg Methylphenidate View Post
I can't find any scientific evidence at all that yerba mate is less jittery than good old coffee. All I can find is anecdotal evidence. Theobromide itself, the other main alkaloid besides caffeine in yerba mate, appears to have extremely limited effects, even at much higher doses than are in yerba mate. I get the jist that it's probably just due to the fact that yerba mate has a much lower caffeeine content than coffee. I am a heavy coffee drinker and I get almost no energy from yerba mate personally. Although, it is quite healthy and tasty.

Not that I'm necessarily right, but do you have any links to suggest otherwise? I would be quite interested. Seriously. I searched this for hours on google and couldn't find any reason that this could be true, except maybe for the B vitamins in yerba mate.
Have you tried drinking 3-4 cups of yerba mate in a sitting and seeing how you react?

It seems you and I share the same struggle for a good legal alternative for focusing(Very smart, quick learner, but motivation/focus is in the dumpster). I came across this erowid experience a few days back, Swim is quite interested in trying it(mainly last 1 or second to last)

http://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=14231
Old 11-11-2008, 17:16
Banned

Male
cuddlesthefox is captain of the psychonauts.cuddlesthefox is captain of the psychonauts.

Really sexy girls with the stuff you need to learn written in blue biro across their bare chests and inner thighs.
Other than that it'll probably mean getting some health shop shite.

Post Quality Evaluations:
haha
Old 11-11-2008, 21:54
Ethnobotanical Cannibal

Male from United States
Bajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond repute

Quote:

There was enough anecdotal evidence to convince my Panda to try it, and he found that he liked the stimulation better than what he would get from coffee.

There weren't many studies I could find on the subject, but it seems that people do experience a subjective difference in effects between yerba mate and other caffeine sources such as coffee or tea. I couldn't find any detailed qualifications (empirical or otherwise) of these differences however.

Unfortunately the archive is being petulant and won't let me upload the files I found as they are too large. Will let you know when I can get around this.
Old 11-11-2008, 23:14
Silver Member

Male from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk man View Post
Have you tried drinking 3-4 cups of yerba mate in a sitting and seeing how you react?
Have you ever tried sitting down to 3-4 cups of strong coffee? lol. Much more stimulation.

I've drank glass after glass of yerba mate, and I will say it's more stimulating than soda(mountain dew, coca cola), but not anywhere up to par with coffee or caffeine pills.

If you drink enough of it, you get jittery. Maybe it's the full stomach thing that makes people feel calmer? As in, you'd have to drink a few glasses of yerba mate to get the same effect one cup of coffee would, and a full stomach usually makes people relaxed and sleepy.

I can't find ANY evidence at all from actual scientific studies that shows theobromide to have any effects at all on one's perception of energy or relaxation in it's pure state. Although, there is lots of evidence proving caffeine does.

Remember, placebo is a very powerful drug.

As much as I'd like to believe in some sort of greater legal stimulant than coffee(not that it makes me jittery anyway. I get jittery without it XD ), I am having a hard time finding proof. =/

Example...all of swims friends INSIST that red rock opium is REAL FUCKING OPIUM! Wtffffffff? They claim to have gotten high off this product. Just because it's not a long fucking stick doesn't mean it's not incense...

Last edited by 100mg Methylphenidate; 12-11-2008 at 00:27.
Old 12-11-2008, 00:48
Ethnobotanical Cannibal

Male from United States

Yerba Mate most certainly contains caffeine, so at the least you would experience stimulant effects from that when consuming it. It also contains theophylline and theobromine (other xanthine alkaloids). It has been suggested that the varied reactions of individuals to Yerba Mate (as compared to other caffeine containing substances) is simply due to the different mix and amount of methylxanthines in the herb.

Also keep in mind the issue of varying quality that one has to deal with when experimenting with ethnobotanical substances. Different preparations of the same plant can vary greatly in terms of intensity or range of effects.

That said, my monkey just remembered Catha Edulis (Khat / Qat) is very well worth mentioning. Unfortunately it is illegal in the United States. If you live in the UK or somewhere else where it is legal, it is probably the best legal stimulant you can find so long as you don't mind chewing on astringent tasting plant matter
Old 12-11-2008, 01:30
Silver Member

Male from United States

Swim wants to try khat so bad. Does it really feel anything like amphetamines?
Old 17-11-2008, 00:55
Silver Member

Male from Canada
Stephenwolf is captain of the psychonauts.Stephenwolf is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 263, Level: 2 Points: 263, Level: 2 Points: 263, Level: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graduisic View Post

If it's a speed boost one needs, then try ephedra.
h
Isn't ephedra banned as a supplement now? And even if bought as bulk herb isn't it risky as its a meth-precursor? I just don't see ordering ephedra being all that safe of an idea... Conversly i'd be extremely happy to learn that its safe to order, Unknowns have been eyeing it for some time now but have been too uncertain on the safety of ordering an amphetamine precursor...

Last edited by Stephenwolf; 17-11-2008 at 03:22.
Old 17-11-2008, 02:46
Silver Member

Male from United States

Uh. If you can buy psuedophedrine in the US easily you can get ephedrine. Just don't make meth with it and you don't have anything to worry about. It's perfectly legal to buy as a bronchodilator for asthma. Even without a prescription. Just look around.
Old 17-11-2008, 03:09
Silver Member

Male from Canada
Stephenwolf is captain of the psychonauts.Stephenwolf is captain of the psychonauts.

buying psuedoephedrine is a pain in the ass in most U.S. States. And the amount you purchase is thighly regulated. I just assumed that ephedra would fall under psuedo/ephedrine regulations making intent to manufacture, or whatever the specific charge is, if one ordered too much.

Last edited by Stephenwolf; 17-11-2008 at 03:42.
Old 17-11-2008, 05:36
Silver Member

Male from United States

It's not really a pain in the ass here....

"Hi I'd like pseudophed"
"Okay. Here you go. Just don't make meth. I need you to sign your name here too."
*pays*
*leaves.
Old 17-11-2008, 06:59
Silver Member

Male
Cathay is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 70, Level: 1 Points: 70, Level: 1 Points: 70, Level: 1

Modafinil is a great drug. SWIM used it after three hour nights of sleep to be able to stay awake in class, and it does just that-- it doesn't make SWIY jittery or anything. SWIY can focus, and SWIY won't feel tired. Some have suggested that it gives a euphoria, but SWIM thinks that the euphoria is negligible and not a selling point.

SWIM loves this thing. The only bad thing about it is after SWIM used it for several months, he developed a tolerance of it and now 50mg won't do anything for him. It's also a bit expensive, but if SWIY can find it generic, it's definitely worth it.
Old 17-11-2008, 07:42
Silver Member

Male from Canada

Having read a bit on the combat meth act or w/e its called ephedra plant matter shouldn't be an issue. Though i still believe psuedoephedrine purchase is a risky matter.

But as far as adderall replacement goes ephedra would likely be useful if its a stayawake issue, and Unknown peoples have found Propylhexedrine to be quite similar to adderall.
Old 19-11-2008, 19:57
Ethnobotanical Cannibal

Male from United States

Quote:
Swim wants to try khat so bad. Does it really feel anything like amphetamines?
The effects are closer to amphetamines than anything else my monkey has tried. More so than methylphenidate and dexmethylphenidate even. The timing and intensity of its course of action is different though, as well as the mode of ingestion. The come-up is more gradual and the peak / plateau are highly variable depending on how much you chew and for how long you chew it. The act of chewing itself can either be helpful for focus or be distracting. The social nature of the drug (loquacity is commonly mentioned in studies) also has a different feel than amphetamines. My monkey found that he was much more likely to engage in long winded conversations about anything than have any desire to clean and tidy, whereas he feels amphetamines have a tendency towards the opposite inclinations (though both substances are good for both activities and don't preclude either of them), however this may have simply been the influence of set and setting.

In short, Khat has similar effects to amphetamines but tends to produce a somewhat different experience. It is also notably less convenient than amphetamines in terms of consumption, but one can easily become accustomed to the act of chewing khat and come to enjoy it on its own accord.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask, as the above is a pretty basic summary and doesn't account for all the discrepancies between the two substances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by betsym View Post
Yohimbine perhaps and Pycnogenol.
On the topic of Yohimbe, Redline is a worthwhile energy drink to look in to. It contains caffeine and some other stimulant type substances, but also Yohimbine. It can make one very sexually aroused for that reason. My monkey has written about it elsewhere on the forums. He found it to be a good adderall substitute when amphetamines aren't available and caffeine alone simply won't suffice. One shouldn't expect the same types of effects they would get from amphetamines, but the stimulation is sufficiently better than caffeine alone.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:50
Mercury Member

29 y/o Female
AmIHighYet needs to UTFSE some more before posting.

If you really want to get a good grade this is a huge mistake. Swim thought this would answer her prayers but while studying even though she could focus 10000% more, it was what she was focusing on that messed it up. it was unpredictable.

And if writing a paper, remember some things only makes sense while using ..well if you're lucky
have the text assigned to read at fingertips and it will probably have to be read a couple of times
Old 11-12-2008, 20:27
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Male
AmphetuhMINE is captain of the psychonauts.AmphetuhMINE is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 245, Level: 2 Points: 245, Level: 2 Points: 245, Level: 2

I'm glad to see that you're looking at legal alternatives to non-prescription use of Adderall (see my post on legal consequences of Adderall). However, if you really do have ADD, it might be worth it to speak with a psych. It's not a fun condition to live with (I know...), but it's pretty treatable. Good luck.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:00

Male from United States
maximumquake should review received reputation comments.
Points: 43, Level: 1 Points: 43, Level: 1 Points: 43, Level: 1

I know this is an old post but I had to post because I was reading it. Swim has adhd swim has a shit load of energy but cannot focus it on anything positive half the time and always leaves tasks half finished. Swim is prescribed adderall ir 15 onces daily and once daily 50 mg vyvanse. In swims experience the vyvanse works good; but taking to much adderall leaves swim feeling like shit after an hour or two. Adderall does give swim motivation helps him focus but even at low doses makes him feel like shit. Swim is an opiate lover; swim gets the most energy from when takes opiates. Something legal that can be tried is a partial opiate agonist; it is called kratom. As of now it is legal in the united states; but it can not be bought at any store. If you want to get kratom you have to buy it off the internet or ebay. Swim has not tried it but has heard good things about it. Swim forgets where its origins are; but the people of its native country use it as a stimulant by chewing on the leaves. If swim is not mistaken kratom has some opiate properties comparable to a weak opiare like tramadol and some stimulate properties. It might be worth looking into; swim knows he has wanted to try it for a long time.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:23

40 y/o Male from Mexico
Nirotceh is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1

I live in Tijuana, and have access to Modafinil (Modiodal) which is not cheap but it works, I have also tries Itravil (Clonbenzorex) or better know as Asenlix two of those babies do work well in combination with a double or triple shot coffee, at least for me.
Old 10-04-2011, 19:48
Titanium Member

31 y/o Male from United States
mr op8 is captain of the psychonauts.mr op8 is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 342, Level: 2 Points: 342, Level: 2 Points: 342, Level: 2

Mr. Mrphn knows this is an old thread, but he was just researching "Asenlix", the brand name for the chemical "Clobenzorex". The previous poster mentioned this, and Mr. Mrphn agrees that it really may be a somewhat decent Adderall alternative like everyone is looking for here...

Apparently, it is just a pro-drug for d-amphetamine (dextroamphetamine). And Adderall itself is 75% dextroamphetamine salts anyway.

From WIKI: "Chemically, clobenzorex is an N-substituted amphetamine analog that is converted to (d)-amphetamine soon after ingestion."

Also from WIKI: "dextroamphetamine is more potent than racemic amphetamine and has stimulant properties similar to racemic methamphetamine, though less potent and less neurotoxic"

So, this is basically saying that d-amphetamine is actually more similar to METHamphetamine, qualitatively...

Asenlix is banned in the US and Europe, but easily obtainable in Mexico as a diet drug, and it can also be easily ordered online from Tijuana pharmacies.

Mr. Mrphn is going to order some this week and will report back on the effects, how it compares to Adderall, etc. He is fairly optimistic that it will at least be of some value.

If any other swimmers have tried this drug or heard of anyone that has, please share experiences... would love to hear.

Share this on:

Tags
adderall alternatives, productivity aids, stimulants