Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Various drugs not covered by other forums > Antidepressants
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 13-10-2008, 22:37

Male from United States
BBird48 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 22, Level: 1 Points: 22, Level: 1 Points: 22, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Lithium Carbonate - Recreational use?

SWIM has been reading through a bunch of posts on this chemical since SWIM has acquired some 300mg (pink 54 463) capsules of this Lithium Carbonate substance.

From what SWIM has read it would seem that this chemical is being regarded more to as a mineral with Bi-Polar treatment effects at monitored doses. But SWIM is also hearing mixed reviews on the potential of this substance for recreational purposes (getting a high).

SWIMS question are,

A. Is it possible to find a recreational high with Lithium Carbonate?

B. If Yes, Is there a bio-availability difference for SWIM snorting / swallowing the substance?

C. What would be a good starting dosage? (both Snorting/Swallowing if applicable)

D. Are there any negative reactions with using this chemical while currently/recently SWIM using Valium (Diazepam) 10mg / Percocet (Oxycodone) 5mg / and or future use of MDMA? If so how long should SWIM wait?

Any other information regarding this topic is welcome. SWIM isn't really in a hurry but would rather understand this chemical compound's abilities.
Old 13-10-2008, 22:55
Gold Member

Male from Ireland
Mint boi really adds to the discussion.Mint boi really adds to the discussion.Mint boi really adds to the discussion.Mint boi really adds to the discussion.Mint boi really adds to the discussion.Mint boi really adds to the discussion.
Points: 1,144, Level: 5 Points: 1,144, Level: 5 Points: 1,144, Level: 5
Re: Lithium Carbonate - Rec Questions

Going on the little I know about lithium as a treatment for bipoar disorder i would say it probably has little recreastional potential . Coupled with the fact that it can be quite toxic I would say steer clear.
Old 13-10-2008, 23:31
bananadine addict

Male from United States
radiometer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumradiometer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumradiometer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumradiometer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumradiometer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumradiometer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumradiometer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumradiometer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumradiometer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumradiometer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumradiometer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 7,470, Level: 12 Points: 7,470, Level: 12 Points: 7,470, Level: 12
Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5%

This is an extremely poor idea. What have you read that led you to believe that lithium has any potential whatsoever as a recreational drug? Further, what have you read that led you to believe that taking higher doses than those used for treating mania could possibly be in any way safe, when individuals who use those doses require constnt blood work to make sure their health is not deteriorating as a result of taking lithium?

I am only partly familiar with the pharmacology of lithium, so in the interest of time, I've excerpted some quotes from a similar thread elsewhere on the net:

Quote:
I haven't used it personally, but I know a little about it. It is one of the oldest medicines given to people to control mania. It is a mood stabilizer, and it is not used to treat acute symptoms, meaning you must take it for an extended period of time before it starts working. Typically, it takes one to three weeks for the drug to even begin working. Due to a large number of nasty side effects it has long been replaced by other medicines that are safer and better at treating symptoms. It is not a recreational drug!! You will almost certainly find the effects unpleasant, and when given without steady monitoring by a doctor you are putting yourself in danger.

Please do not take this looking to get high. If you are interested in it as a long term treatment for controlling your mental disorder, there are other medicines you'd be better off trying first. Either way, you'd need to talk to a doctor because these aren't drugs to be taken lightly.

----

It's an anti-manic. It's a mineral salt for fucks sake. It's not an organic compound, even.

It cannot be abused in any sense of the word. If you're getting high off of it, you're getting into a very dangerous place- it'd be producing those effects by poisoning you.

----

I was on Lithium Carbonate for a few months for severe treatment resistant depression. I had to have my blood tested every week, because the therapeutic level is so close to the the toxic (lethal) level. My mother was on it for a while as well to treat her bipolar disorder, she also had to have weekly blood tests, and at least one the level was too high and she had to be hospitalised.

There's no high. It can make you feel like a bit of a zombie, but not good in any way at all. It really is a dangerous drug to be messing around with. You need to be under medical supervision with blood tests. There's some more info about lithium carbonate here http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/lithium_ids.htm Eskalith is a brand name for Lithium Carbonate.

It really is beyond me why you would be messing around with dangerous shit that doesn't give you a high.
Get the picture?

Post Quality Evaluations:
Thanks for finding this
nice job!
Old 13-10-2008, 23:46

Male from United States

SWIM agrees with the above but also has an understanding that patients are administered up to 900mg+ a day, this leads to the constant checking of toxicity due to the retention of the chemical in the body. SWIM is trying to understand if a dose used lower then that, such as snorting a line of 50-100mg will give a recreational worth while effect?

So far not looking good. SWIM is still accepting more input on those who may have more knowledge on the subject of Lithium whether SWIY's friend's experience or more to work with.
Old 13-10-2008, 23:55
Gold Member

Male from Ireland
Mint boi really adds to the discussion.Mint boi really adds to the discussion.Mint boi really adds to the discussion.Mint boi really adds to the discussion.Mint boi really adds to the discussion.Mint boi really adds to the discussion.

Ok heres a very basic run down of lithiums postulated mechanism of action.

Lithium isn't an upper or a downer, its used to treat both mania and depression.
It basically helps to correct a chemical imbalance in the brain. It effects the transport of certain cations (K+, Mg2+ to name two) as it can occupy their places in certain enzymes. Its a mood stabalizer, it doesn't lift mood, or depress it, it levels it off. In healthy individuals it has no use.

Since Lithium Carbonate is an inorganic corbonate I would imagine its water solubility is low, hence snorting would be pointless, and painfull at best.
Old 14-10-2008, 00:04

Male from United States

Awesome. So SWIM could then take a small dose during a manic or depressive state (such as a comedown) and it would stabilize SWIM? Or does the chemical have to be constantly re-introduced to SWIM's body for an extended period of time for it to have the stabilizing effect?
Old 14-10-2008, 00:07
Gold Member

Male from Ireland

It can sometimes take up to a month for lithium to have the desired effect.
Old 14-10-2008, 00:39

Male from United States

Good to know. Thanks Mint Boi. Anyone with more info feel free. SWIM will be watching the thread till it's knocked down or dead.
Old 14-10-2008, 01:31
Banned

Male
Panthers007 must mainline MedlinePanthers007 must mainline MedlinePanthers007 must mainline MedlinePanthers007 must mainline MedlinePanthers007 must mainline MedlinePanthers007 must mainline MedlinePanthers007 must mainline MedlinePanthers007 must mainline MedlinePanthers007 must mainline MedlinePanthers007 must mainline MedlinePanthers007 must mainline Medline
Points: 2,850, Level: 7 Points: 2,850, Level: 7 Points: 2,850, Level: 7

Lithium has to be titrated for an individual dosage by closely monitoring blood-levels in a hospital laboratory. It throws a curve into one's electrolytes - thereby making sodium and potassium levels to dramatically change. One must be closely monitored for about 30 days with blood being drawn. It is not handed out and the patient told: Call my office if you feel funny.

Do you know what happens if your body loses it's sodium and potassium? Start with looking up anemia, then try cardiac-arrest.

The toilet beckons thee. Flush - SWIM - Flush!

http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic301.htm

Wonderful response
Old 14-10-2008, 02:18

Male from United States

Nice SWIM got panther's on this one. Advice taken. SWIM appreciates all the help. If Panth hits this post up again SWIM has one more question - somewhat related.

What are the best treatments for Bi-Polar disorder accompanied with Anxiety problems. Is Lithium (if decided upon by a doctor) the best choice? Or is SWIY familiar with anything that may curb SWIM's constant mood shifts (manic, depressive, agressive) and stress (fast thinking / anxiety).

SWIM currently has been using Valium 10mg which seems to curb these effects (accept the depression) but due to the high rate of addiction and tolerance issues SWIM is looking for something that might prove a little more directly effective for these conditions.

Once again, thanks for the help.
Old 14-10-2008, 02:23
Banned

Male
Panthers007 must mainline MedlinePanthers007 must mainline MedlinePanthers007 must mainline MedlinePanthers007 must mainline MedlinePanthers007 must mainline MedlinePanthers007 must mainline MedlinePanthers007 must mainline MedlinePanthers007 must mainline MedlinePanthers007 must mainline MedlinePanthers007 must mainline MedlinePanthers007 must mainline Medline
Points: 2,850, Level: 7 Points: 2,850, Level: 7 Points: 2,850, Level: 7

I suggest that you UTFSE (Use The Forum Search Engine) with some key words - Bipolar, etc. - to find any posts covering this. If not - start a new thread. This is a subject that goes well beyond Lithium and Rec. I can tell you this much: No two people are identical, answers will vary widely.
Old 14-10-2008, 02:27
Silver Member

24 y/o Male from United States
wespawloski is a decent psychonaut.wespawloski is a decent psychonaut.

SWIM would say 1 pill would be worth a try. Side effects sound like your average anti-depressant. But SWIM also doubts it would do anything for you unless you feel like taking an amphetamine and see if lithium counteracts it

It is very important to have the right amount of lithium in your body because too much of it may lead to unwanted effects such as nausea, diarrhea, shaking of the hands, dizziness, twitching, seizures, slurred speech, confusion, or increased urination. Notify your doctor promptly if these effects occur. The difference between the correct amount of lithium and too much, is small. Therefore, it is important you be monitored closely.

wespawloski added 1 Minutes and 22 Seconds later...

SWIM is also interested in your findings please report if undertaken

wespawloski added 1 Minutes and 2 Seconds later...

Because the therapeutic doses are so close to the toxic levels, it is only used in the most extreme cases of mood disorders. Those on lithium are given frequent blood tests to make sure that it has not reached toxic levels, which can cause liver failure or other deadly problems. This isn't a substance you want to take unless you absolutely have to. It has no recreational potential." - Erowid

on second thought....

Having read all of the responses you STILL recommend trying lithium recreationally? Dear God!
for not citing the second paragraph, and giving poor advice.
Giving advice that can lead to a quick od, or physical harm is unacceptable. It is also very unethical, unless one does not care one bit for a fellow forum participant.

Last edited by wespawloski; 14-10-2008 at 02:27. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 14-10-2008, 02:56
Palladium Member

Male from United States
fiveleggedrat really knows their shit.fiveleggedrat really knows their shit.fiveleggedrat really knows their shit.fiveleggedrat really knows their shit.fiveleggedrat really knows their shit.fiveleggedrat really knows their shit.fiveleggedrat really knows their shit.fiveleggedrat really knows their shit.fiveleggedrat really knows their shit.
Points: 1,646, Level: 6 Points: 1,646, Level: 6 Points: 1,646, Level: 6

Quote:
amphetamine and see if lithium counteracts it
I'm going to suggest NOT doing this. Ever.

Mixing of a mood stabalizer and stimulent (let alone amphetamine) is a horrible idea, with a chance of having very dangerous affects on the brain.
Old 14-10-2008, 03:04
Banned

Male
fnord must mainline Medlinefnord must mainline Medlinefnord must mainline Medlinefnord must mainline Medlinefnord must mainline Medlinefnord must mainline Medlinefnord must mainline Medlinefnord must mainline Medlinefnord must mainline Medlinefnord must mainline Medlinefnord must mainline Medline
Points: 6,830, Level: 12 Points: 6,830, Level: 12 Points: 6,830, Level: 12

I didint know that the loss of bladder control and numerus other side effects could be recreational.

classic
Old 14-10-2008, 03:04
Silver Member

25 y/o Male from United States
razorwiredildo is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 239, Level: 2 Points: 239, Level: 2 Points: 239, Level: 2

when swim was 14 years old, he snorted lithium. If swiy likes having a nose, dont do it. It does absolutely nothing in terms of effect.
Old 13-01-2012, 14:36

Male from United States
muff1986 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1

But SWIM also doubts it would do anything for you unless you feel like taking an amphetamine and see if lithium counteracts it

This is horrible advice. Expecially to someone who is saying they will be doing MDA/MDMA. Using stimulants, serious mood stabalizers and stimulants is a horrible if not deadly combination.

Also using Litium to come down from a bender would not make matters better, just much much worse.

muff1986 added 1 Minutes and 33 Seconds later...

^
I
I

[QUOTE=wespawloski;481315]But SWIM also doubts it would do anything for you unless you feel like taking an amphetamine and see if lithium counteracts it

heres my source for my quote, new to the thread. Sorry for the confusion.

this thread is 3 1/2 years dead. please don't open dead threads without new relevant infromation.

Last edited by muff1986; 13-01-2012 at 14:36. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 14-02-2012, 09:14
Silver Member

26 y/o Male from United States
freshboi is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 21, Level: 1 Points: 21, Level: 1 Points: 21, Level: 1
Re: Lithium Carbonate - Recreational use?

I take 2*300mg's lithium carbonate twice a day totaling 1200mg's.. and the only drugs i've noticed serious interactions with have been ketamine, methoxetamine, lsd, all of which had a very dramatic unbelievable increase in dose response.. 100mg of methoxetamine felt like 500mg's prior to having taken lithium.. 1 hit of lsd felt like 3-4, etc.. I would totally avoid all psychedelic drugs if you are on lithium partly because psychedelics dont sit well with the average bi-polar or schizophrenic.. the lithium had little to no effect on stimulants such as adderall, propylhexedrine, MDPPP, MPPP, etc.. There was a long period of gastrointestinal problems which subsided after about a month or two but almost made me quit taking it thankfully i didn't my life has greatly improved since starting lithium carbonate..

Share this on:

Tags
mood stabiliser, mood stabilizer, snorting drugs

Sitelinks: Information: