Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Ethnobotanicals > DMT and Ayahuasca
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

DMT and Ayahuasca DMT, Phalaris, Yopo, Mimosa, Virola & Ayahuasca

Old 29-09-2008, 06:14
Palladium Member

Male from United Kingdom
Synesthesiac must mainline MedlineSynesthesiac must mainline MedlineSynesthesiac must mainline MedlineSynesthesiac must mainline MedlineSynesthesiac must mainline MedlineSynesthesiac must mainline MedlineSynesthesiac must mainline MedlineSynesthesiac must mainline MedlineSynesthesiac must mainline MedlineSynesthesiac must mainline MedlineSynesthesiac must mainline Medline
Points: 5,792, Level: 11 Points: 5,792, Level: 11 Points: 5,792, Level: 11
Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6%
DMT - Dreams & Near Death Experiences

A new entry has been added to File Archive

Description:
10 mins

A popular clip from the magical egypt series about DMT and its possible relation to near death experiences and dreaming. Rick Strassman talks about his research at the university of mexico, and gives a really good overview of DMT. As must see for anyone interested in this fascinating topic of endogenous psychoactives.

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit DMT - Dreams & Near Death Experiences
The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

From the description: "Does DMT play a role in near death experiences? Clip from an episode of the magical egypt series featuring Rick Strassman.

Endogenous DMT, produced in the human brain, is involved in certain psychological and neurological states. As DMT is naturally produced in small amounts in the brains and other tissues of humans, and other mammals, some believe it plays a role in promoting the visual effects of natural dreaming, and also near-death experiences and other mystical states.

Western and Eastern mystical traditions are replete with descriptions of a blinding bright white light accompanying deep spiritual realization. This "enlightenment" usually is the result of a progression of consciousness through various levels of spiritual, psychological, and ethical development. All mystical traditions describe the process and its stages.

The pineal gland is unique in its solitary status within the brain. All other brain sites are paired, meaning that they have left and right counterparts; for example, there are left and right frontal lobes and left and right temporal lobes. As the only unpaired organ deep within the brain, the pineal gland remained an anatomical curiosity for nearly two thousand years. No one in the West had any idea what its function was.

The pineal gland of evolutionarily older animals, such as lizards and amphibians, is also called the "third" eye. Just like the two seeing eyes, the third eye possesses a lens, cornea, and retina. It is light-sensitive and helps regulate body temperature and skin coloration—two basic survival functions intimately related to environmental light. Melatonin, the primary pineal hormone, is present in primitive pineal glands.

As animals climbed the evolutionary ladder, the pineal moved inward, deeper into the brain, more hidden and removed from outside influences.

These hypotheses are not proven, mainly due to ethical concerns and anti-drug legistlation, but they derive from scientifically valid data. The pineal is very hard to test as it is in the centre of the brain, and the person would have to be alive to produce any DMT because it is absorbed into the body nearly instantly.

The most general hypothesis is that the pineal gland produces psychedelic amounts of DMT at extraordinary times in our lives. Pineal DMT production is the physical representation of non-material, or energetic, processes. It provides us with the vehicle to consciously experience the movement of our life-force in its most extreme manifestations. Specific examples of this phenomenon are the following: When our individual life force enters our fetal body, the moment in which we become truly human, it passes through the pineal and triggers the first primordial flood of DMT. Later, at birth, the pineal releases more DMT. In some of us, pineal DMT mediates the pivotal experiences of deep meditation, psychosis, and near-death experiences. As we die, the life-force leaves the body through the pineal gland, releasing another flood of this psychedelic spirit molecule.

The pineal gland contains the necessary building blocks to make DMT. For example, it possesses the highest levels of serotonin anywhere in the body, and serotonin is a crucial precursor for pineal melatonin. The pineal also has the ability to convert serotonin to tryptamine, a critical step in DMT formation. The unique enzymes that convert serotonin, melatonin, or tryptamine into psychedelic compounds also are present in extraordinarily high concentrations in the pineal. These enzymes, the methyltransferases, attach a methyl group—that is, one carbon and three hydrogens—onto other molecules, thus methylating them. Simply methylate tryptamine twice, and we have di-methyl-tryptamine, or DMT. Because it possesses the high levels of the necessary enzymes and precursors, the pineal gland is the most reasonable place for DMT formation to occur. Surprisingly, no one has looked for DMT in the pineal."

Last edited by Synesthesiac; 20-11-2008 at 19:50.
Old 17-10-2008, 01:34

Male
hi0827745 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: DMT - Dreams & Near Death Experiences

I think Dr. Strassman is wrong. The pineal gland actually is paired. One can see that in a microscope quite clearly. It secretes melotonin, structurally similar to dmt. Most dmt that is smoked is C 12 H 16 O . Melatonin is C 13 H 16 N 2 O 2.
Old 19-10-2008, 01:36
Palladium Member

Male from United Kingdom
Synesthesiac must mainline MedlineSynesthesiac must mainline MedlineSynesthesiac must mainline MedlineSynesthesiac must mainline MedlineSynesthesiac must mainline MedlineSynesthesiac must mainline MedlineSynesthesiac must mainline MedlineSynesthesiac must mainline MedlineSynesthesiac must mainline MedlineSynesthesiac must mainline MedlineSynesthesiac must mainline Medline

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi0827745 View Post
I think Dr. Strassman is wrong. The pineal gland actually is paired. One can see that in a microscope quite clearly. It secretes melotonin, structurally similar to dmt. Most dmt that is smoked is C 12 H 16 O . Melatonin is C 13 H 16 N 2 O 2.
Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Do you have any evidence, pictorial or otherwise, of this?

I'm presuming its the area of the brain that both parts are directly connected in a centered position? Would this not be unique then?
Old 21-10-2008, 16:11
Silver Member

Male
Burnt probably knows what they are talking about.Burnt probably knows what they are talking about.Burnt probably knows what they are talking about.Burnt probably knows what they are talking about.Burnt probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 582, Level: 3 Points: 582, Level: 3 Points: 582, Level: 3

There is also considerable evidence that DMT is not synthesized in the pineal gland but rather outside the brain and crosses in after being made. I do not feel comfortable posting the papers because of copy rights but check out the literature. Strassman's ideas aren't entirely correct in light of new evidence.

Also DMT seems to have nothing to do with dreaming many other neurotransmitters are more heavily involved.
Old 22-09-2009, 21:24

Male
NearDeathExaminer is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1

I just interviewed Dr. Rick Strassman and published and interview and I would give you the link, but I'm not allowed to post it..he said that melatonin did not cause the spiritual experiences. If you like I could ask him about the pineal gland question and include it in the interview. As I'm not allowed to post links, you will have to google the interview or check out Examiner online and search for DMT. The interview is too long to post here.

If I do ask Mr. Strassman, could you explain your questions for him with a little more detail? Thanks.
Old 28-09-2009, 05:40
Palladium Member

Male from United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by NearDeathExaminer View Post
If I do ask Mr. Strassman, could you explain your questions for him with a little more detail? Thanks.
Well the main thing I would like to ask strassman is (assuming DMT plays some sort of role in dreaming, NDE's and creating everyday reality) is what other endogenous hallucinogens are there? As the sleeping state seems very different from a DMT induced trip.
Old 28-09-2009, 09:28
Banned

22 y/o Male
oKUSHo should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.

Great video very educational =D
Old 01-10-2009, 13:50

Male
BigPapaLarry is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 33, Level: 1 Points: 33, Level: 1 Points: 33, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by oKUSHo View Post
Great video very educational =D
Indeed indeed. Swim belives that DMT is involved in dreams and NDEs. While swim has never had an NDE, he always describes a good DMT blast off as "Somewhere far beyond a dream and just short of death" (referring to its role in NDEs; swim knows DMT wont kill you).
Old 25-10-2009, 01:06

Male
D1V1N3M0M3N750F7RU7H should review received reputation comments.
Points: 13, Level: 1 Points: 13, Level: 1 Points: 13, Level: 1

well for one thing, in my experience years ago i hadnt been dreaming for over a year and the night i smoked dmt i started dreaming again. i believe it is not a coincidence. i dont believe in those.

Share this on:

Tags
ayahuasca, death, dmt, dmt death, dmt death interview, dmt dreams, drug, life and death, near death dmt, near death experience, rick strassman interview