Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Opiates & Opioids > Fentanyl
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 22-07-2008, 03:20
Mercury Member

32 y/o Male from Australia
frankz81 needs to UTFSE some more before posting.
fentanyl compared to morphine and mcg to mg

hey everyone,

i was just wondering what the strength of fentanyl was compared to morphine, both iv... an online dosage converter shows that 1mg fentanyl = 100mg of morphine but i thought it would be stronger cos my last visit to hospital i had many narcs, of which included 12 x 100 mcg fentanyl, which is there fore 1.2mg isnt it?? i am not quite sure cos 1.2mg of fentanyl is supposedly 120mg of morphine, which i thought i would be having way more than that morphine equivalent...

ie is 100mcg of fentanyl a strong dose? i was on methadone when i did have the fent in hosp, and i pretty much didnt feel a thing from it except slight analgesia
i did also receive 50mcg perhour via the drip and every 5 minutes i pressed a button hooked up to the drip which released a bit more.....

so is fentanyl supposed to be much more effective than morphine and is a ratio of 1mg to 100mg about right??
please help me clear this up, as it doesnt really help me in any way but is basically just giving me the shits...

thanks
Old 05-08-2008, 01:52
Platinum Member

Male from Netherlands
Psych0naut must mainline MedlinePsych0naut must mainline MedlinePsych0naut must mainline MedlinePsych0naut must mainline MedlinePsych0naut must mainline MedlinePsych0naut must mainline MedlinePsych0naut must mainline MedlinePsych0naut must mainline MedlinePsych0naut must mainline MedlinePsych0naut must mainline MedlinePsych0naut must mainline Medline
Points: 2,986, Level: 8 Points: 2,986, Level: 8 Points: 2,986, Level: 8
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: fentanyl compared to morphine and mcg to mg

For an opioid naive person, 100mcg of Fentanyl IV is certainly a strong dose. And SWIY is right, 100mcg of Fentanyl IV is equal to 10mg Morphine IV. The standardardised IV doses of opioids for severe pain are; Morphine(10mg), Fentanyl(100mcg), Diamorphine(5mg), Oxycodone(5mg), Hydromorphone(2mg), Oxymorphone(1mg), Pethidine(100mg), Buphrenorphine(600mcg)
Old 05-08-2008, 03:13
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Male from United States
Spare Chaynge really adds to the discussion.Spare Chaynge really adds to the discussion.Spare Chaynge really adds to the discussion.Spare Chaynge really adds to the discussion.Spare Chaynge really adds to the discussion.Spare Chaynge really adds to the discussion.
Points: 1,839, Level: 6 Points: 1,839, Level: 6 Points: 1,839, Level: 6

what about oral dosage. mcg per mg
swim finds the conversion calculators but can not find ones that do oral fentanyl
Old 05-08-2008, 17:53
Platinum Member

Male from Netherlands
Psych0naut must mainline MedlinePsych0naut must mainline MedlinePsych0naut must mainline MedlinePsych0naut must mainline MedlinePsych0naut must mainline MedlinePsych0naut must mainline MedlinePsych0naut must mainline MedlinePsych0naut must mainline MedlinePsych0naut must mainline MedlinePsych0naut must mainline MedlinePsych0naut must mainline Medline

That's because Fentanyl is never taken orally, for medical use it's taken either intravenous, transdermal(through the skin, with patches) or buccal(through the mouth lining). Fentanyl has a low oral bioavailability, and should be taken through other routes than orally, if possible. Patches for example, can be taken sublingually(under one's tongue), which has a much higher bioavailability than oral intake.
Old 05-08-2008, 19:54

Male from United States
Spare Chaynge really adds to the discussion.Spare Chaynge really adds to the discussion.Spare Chaynge really adds to the discussion.Spare Chaynge really adds to the discussion.Spare Chaynge really adds to the discussion.Spare Chaynge really adds to the discussion.

Ok what about sublingually. Or buccal swim can not find any equivalencys for these to methods either.

Last edited by Spare Chaynge; 05-08-2008 at 20:01.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:12
Mercury Member

32 y/o Male from Australia
frankz81 needs to UTFSE some more before posting.

so is heroin only twice as strong as morphine as u said 5mg diamorphine=10mg morphine? also states that oxycodone=heroin, swim always hears oxy = very low grade h and other times something different, i spose its down to the quality of the h but swim also thought oxy would be alot stronger than just double the strength of morphine?so in saying that, when swim was on 100mg methadone, he could have 400mg of oxycodone(5x80mg) via iv and basically feel no effect, so would having 400mh of heroin also mean it would be a waste of $$? swim can now have 30mg oxy and thoroughly enjoy it....
Old 07-08-2008, 19:04
Platinum Member

Male from Netherlands

The BA of Fentanyl sublingually is around 50%, and bucally it's 50% as well. Orally, the BA is 30% according to the Opiate Bioavailabilities thread.

Heroin is twice as potent as Morphine, but simmilar in potency to Oxycodone. Like SWIY said, it's down to the purity of the Heroin, which always fluctuates, while Oxycodone, only being available as pharmaceutical preperation on the black market as well as medically, is always constant in purity. SWIM never heared anyone calling Oxycodone low purity Heroin though. How much stronger Oxycodone is compared to Morphine also depends on the ROA(Route Of Administration), when taken intravenously or snorted, Oxycodone is twice as potent as Morphine. When taken orally, Oxycodone is even triple the potency of Morphine, due to Oxycodone's high BA(Bioavailability) compared to Morphine's very low BA. The reason SWIY probaply didn't feel the Oxycodone was because the Methadone was blocking it's effects. For the same reason, a simmilar dose of Heroin wouldn't do much either.
Old 17-08-2008, 02:34

34 y/o Male
leonb80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1

Swim just got a hold af a fentanyl patch. 75 mcg. Swim has never taken fentanyl before but swim has a relativley high opioid tolerance. If swim wanted to use the patch sub-lingualy, how much would swiy reccomend swim start off with. Someone told swim to cut the patch into quaters and slip one of the sections under the tongue. Any advice would be helpful. Also, could swim use the patch multiple times if swim decided to go the transdermal route. It says on the patch its good for 72 hours but swim was wondering if you could break that up into multiple sessions. Thanks and sorry for gramatical errors.
Old 17-08-2008, 03:36

Male from United States

Swim should read this first.
http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63746

Swim would suggest starting really really small.. fentanyl is very dangerous.. the patch should contain around 5400 mcgs... so 1/4 should be around 1350 a large dose...

this has killed many many people.. it could kill you..
swim has no idea on the tolerance of swiy and will not give advice on how much to take..

if swim were use the patch correctly .. swim considers it spent after 72 hours..
people have died off just wearing the patch.

it is not hard to cut a patch into pieces and use math to figure out how much swim is getting.. but be so so careful. many people have died...

fentanyl is very dangerous read spare chaynges expirence report.

Share this on:

Tags
diamorphine, fentanyl, fentanyl dose, fentanyl iv, fentanyl patch, heroin, heroin comparison, heroine, intravenous morphine, iv fentanyl, iv morphine, methadone, morphine, morphine compared, morphine dose, morphine iv, oral morphine, oxycodone, oxycontin