Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Ethnobotanicals
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Ethnobotanicals Psychedelic plants, Iboga, Calea, Blue lotus, Ephedra, Sinicuichi, Betel nut, etc.

Old 21-07-2008, 19:48

34 y/o Female
HoneyCrunch is an unknown quantity at this point
Wild Opium Lettuce

ok, now don't laugh cause I'm not actually talking about smoking lettuce =)
I've seen the B.S. sites that try to sell wild lettuce as an herbal smoke. But over the weekend while I was hiking I found some and harvested it (and yes I am sure of it's identity). I found some info on herbhound about drying out the latex and smoking it. I have some drying now and while I'm waiting, I was wondering if anyone here has tried it? I'm hoping for opinions from ppl who have actually smoked O before so I can get a comparison view.
If not, I'll post my experience report when it dries.
Old 20-08-2008, 18:46
Silver Member

26 y/o Male from United Kingdom
ElectroStep is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 23, Level: 1 Points: 23, Level: 1 Points: 23, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Wild Opium Lettuce

The tea is meant to work, it's very mild.

I've not heard of people smoking the latex.
Old 20-08-2008, 19:27
Silver Member

Male from Canada
Stephenwolf is captain of the psychonauts.Stephenwolf is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 263, Level: 2 Points: 263, Level: 2 Points: 263, Level: 2
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

Unknown people have tried smoking it before, had an extract of the material and smoked it through a can, it produced a mild (nearly placebo but maybe not) buzz, no euphoria, not much of anything, had a semisweet/sour taste, kinda pleasant. Believe it COULD work if lots was smoked very rapidly but one shouldn't expect much if anything from it.
Old 23-08-2008, 17:31
Potter Potter is nu online
Platinum Member & Advisor

34 y/o Female from United States
Potter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 19,289, Level: 20 Points: 19,289, Level: 20 Points: 19,289, Level: 20
Activity: 59.0% Activity: 59.0% Activity: 59.0%

Nobody recently read in a book on herbal and medicinal brewing that the latex can be gathered thusly: Find a patch of 20 or so plants between 3-4 feet tall. Cut the top 1/2inch off all the plants and wait for the latex to stop flowing, gather it. Repeat every half inch till you're down to the lat stop getting latex. Expect 2-3 grams of sap per plant. L. virosa and L. serriola have the strongest sap.

Guess there are worse ways to spend a day.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Good information, very helpful
Old 31-05-2009, 07:45

Male
urbanmasters is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1

i dont know if wild opium and wild opium lettuce are different but wild opium is very relaxing smoked. i have not tryed the tea thought.
Old 31-05-2009, 08:25

Male
3333 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 66, Level: 1 Points: 66, Level: 1 Points: 66, Level: 1

Wild opium (also called wild opium lettuce, opium lettuce, wild lettuce, bitter lettuce, L. Virosa) is not an opium or an opiate (but has similar effects i.e. painkilling, but won't get you addicted), it is an ethnobotanical. It is most commonly smoked or filtered into a tea. Swim has tried it in both tea and smoking, and felt mild but very noticeable effects for both (especially smoking it).

Effects are mild for most, but be warned that increased dosage of this could produce much stronger, drunk like states. Most people do about a few grams of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anabolictrio View Post
I tried wild letuce some times ago.
I found this experience quite interesting.
I was drunk and barely able to walk, i came back at home yearning some kind of drug.... but the only thing i had was a package of wild lettuce...
I was quite disappointed because i had already tried it and it did nothing to me.
I decided to give it a last try.
I used A LOT of wild lettuce to prepare a tea, i did not weigh it, but i suppose it was 20-30 g. maybe more.... (i was drunk and reckless....)
The tea looked more like a soup,it was disgusting and
bitter... anyway i drunk it in a single draught!
---------------------------------------------------------------

-I was lying on my bed,waiting for something to happen,watching some tv.....
-After less then an hour ,I was feeling relaxed and drowsy.
-by chance, I started watching a silly b-movie about angels,antichrist and such.... I was completely TERRIFIED by this stupid movie.... so i tried to switch the TV over, but i was not able to move, I was having some kind of paralysis,i'm sure i was awake...meanwhile i was in a horror religious dream (like the movie)... i tried to cry but i couldn't! i was seized by convulsions,religious fear!!!.... then thankfully, blackout.
Before that night i believed wild lettuce was nothing more then a chamomile tea... I must admit i was wrong.
On the whole this experience was similiar to Opium, i never had convulsion or paralysis with opium but the dreamy state was the same....(maybe stronger, more empathic and visual!)...
In my opinion I was close to dead so be carefull with this herb. Do not abuse like i did.
However most people see it as mild, but slightly euphoric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychonautica View Post
While L. Virosa is hardly recreational, it seems to mix well with a number of things and have potential as a sleep aid on its own. It's capable of producing EXTREMELY vivid and colorful dreams. It produces a rather pleasurable effect when taken orally with Kava Kava, definitely superior as an anxiolytic compared to kava kava alone. It also enhances the visual effects of opiates and helps a subject sleep under the influence of opiates.

It's hardly "Lettuce Opium" but considering we'll never be without, its not a bad thing to know a little about.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:13
Palladium Member

Male from Earth
samuraigecko must think in IUPACsamuraigecko must think in IUPACsamuraigecko must think in IUPACsamuraigecko must think in IUPACsamuraigecko must think in IUPACsamuraigecko must think in IUPACsamuraigecko must think in IUPACsamuraigecko must think in IUPACsamuraigecko must think in IUPACsamuraigecko must think in IUPACsamuraigecko must think in IUPAC
Points: 2,929, Level: 8 Points: 2,929, Level: 8 Points: 2,929, Level: 8

Wild lettuce Opium . . . . .

It contains alkaloids that are in a separate group to, but have similar effects of (in concentrated dosages), actual Opium.

They are NOT, however, Opiate Alkaloids. They are a separate class of alkaloids. Remember that Codeine and Morphine are only known to come from Papaver Somniferum alone, no other known plant to date produces these alkaloids.

It has no alkaloids responsible for Analgesia (painkilling), its properties lie in its sedative effects, which are considered to be mild but close to what Opium itself feels like and thus gaining its common name from Opium.

Peace
Old 01-07-2011, 11:28
Silver Member

Male from Canada
SomniphileXII is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 167, Level: 2 Points: 167, Level: 2 Points: 167, Level: 2

SWIM grows Lactuca Virosa in his garden and uses it as a medicinal drug as he jumps between Opium and Lorazepam (primarily, however, he also uses other ethnobotanicals and psychoactives in general) for agoraphobia, related panic and anxiety issues as well as insomnia.
SWIM harvests the latex of the L. Virosa, dries it in a spoon often times, or just a knife, and vaporizes it like he does Opium. This produces some alright results though not "recreational" results in comparison to the more potent drugs.
He also collects leaves and stems after the plant is used up and smokes them in a pipe under tobacco or makes a cold tea. These leaves and stems also seems to reduce anxiety and insomnia considerably but the nausea from his agoraphobia is still present, however, lowered considerably.
All in all: SWIM finds that L. Virosa works well for him specifically medicinally.

Ah, almost forgot: L. Virosa makes a lovely salad that also lowers his symptoms! =]
Old 26-08-2011, 22:16
Gold Member

30 y/o Male from Netherlands
Pino must think in IUPACPino must think in IUPACPino must think in IUPACPino must think in IUPACPino must think in IUPACPino must think in IUPACPino must think in IUPACPino must think in IUPACPino must think in IUPACPino must think in IUPACPino must think in IUPAC
Points: 1,973, Level: 6 Points: 1,973, Level: 6 Points: 1,973, Level: 6
Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6%

I have read the following report in my newspaper:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynewspaper

Substance
: Wild lettuce
Other substances: Aspirin (500 mg)
Duration: 3 hours
Duration After effects: ? (fell asleep)
Amount: 10 grams
Effects: Relaxation, sleepiness.
After Effects: Bit lethargy
Side Effects: Disturbingly realistic dreams. Slow heart beat. Headache.
Taste: Bitter sea weed. (Quite salty)
Weight: 79 kg.
Health condition: Reasonable ok, bit stressed out.
Time unit: hour, unless stated different.

Experience (from our reporter):
T - 1 day: Tomorrow I have a free day, and nobody is home, so I bought this stuff at the smartshop. It was a bit overpriced. The label told I had to dissolve it into strong alcohol, let it steep for a day and then let the alcohol dissipate.
T + 0: Obviously I didn't do that. I will make a cup of tea instead of the wild spoiling of cheap vodka. I measure 10 grams. Dump it in a glass. And turn on the water boiler. It looks like dried lettuce. It smells kinda funky. Can't exactly tell, how it smells. It is evening now. (20:00)
T + 10m: Water is boiling. I pour it onto the lettuce. Ah, now I recognize the smell. It smells like the sea weed, you get sometimes in a Sushi restaurant.
T + 30m: I filter it, taste a bit. Salty bitter sea weed. Really strange. Why is it salt? Add a bit of sugar.
T + 40m: Finished it. If you imagine it is bad soup, you drink, it is not to bad.
T + 50m: First hint of effect. Small tingly feeling in my toe.
T + 1h: Subtle laziness gets over me.
T + 80m: Some sedation. I am laying down. Reading a book. It is nice. Not as strong as alcohol and it doesn't resemble opium. Upcoming headache. Take some aspirin.
T + 100m: Really sleepy now. Reading seems a bit difficult.
T + ?: Strange vivid dream, where I have half control. I have to drive a car, someone is chasing me and I have to move stuff to another home. But I cannot drive (in reality this is true too). So I do it really clumsy. Bump into other cars. I fall asleep, while driving, in my dream. And.. a dream in a dream. Some sexual stuff. I have sex with my girlfriend. When I come, I wake up in the previous dream, in the car, and my girlfriend is suddenly there. I am under a bridge with the car parked. She is sitting in a car too, she is moving stuff too. She screams: You have to wake up, you have to wake up, you have to wake uuuup (multiple people are screaming that last word, scary)
T + 3: I wake up again and nobody is in my house. I feel a bit lethargic. Slept quite good.
T + 4: Fall asleep again.
Next morning: I feel quite rested. Have some coffee. Nothing to say about the after effects.

Retrospective:

This stuff is quite subtle. It relaxes, but can give a headache. I wouldn't try this in higher amounts. Besides that, it is a fine sleeping aid.

The vivid dreams, it induces, are cool and disturbing at the same time. I mostly don't have a dream in a dream style of dream. And remembering dreams is also something I don't do often.

This is the second time, I tried this. But the first time, I probably hadn't wild lettuce. Something different. It smelled more like hay and it had small wooden pieces in it. Taste was very different. I told it too the smart shop owner. He would ask about it.

I would love to try this with kratom. That would solve the headache part and it probably make the stimulation of kratom non-existent. I found this stuff quite a effective hypnotic. But it is nothing like opium. It lacks the euphoria.

Last edited by Pino; 26-08-2011 at 22:21. Reason: Forgot something to say about the opium - wild lettuce comparisson.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:13
Silver Member

28 y/o Male from United Kingdom
spunkymunky is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 64, Level: 1 Points: 64, Level: 1 Points: 64, Level: 1

A guy said that this stuff is really good for getting to sleep after buzzing hard on stimulants - they took a bag of wild lettuce leaf to a festival a few years back (just had it kicking around and thought why not) and after taking some ecstacy / mdma and a little k and buzzing for hours discovered that this was the perfect way to relax and drift off at the end of the night. Rather than smoking weed, which sometimes just doesn't seem to do enough to induce sleep in these situations, smoke lots of wild lettuce i.e. roll four or five big pure joints between two or three people or keep loading a bong until the desired effect is achieved - it really helped this guy and his girlfriend fall asleep. This guy introduced some of his friends to it in similar situations - i.e. end of a hard night of stimulant use, and they have found it works too. Probably better for the brain than most other sleeping remedies people take I guess!

Be interesting to see if anyone else thinks the same...

Share this on:

Tags
am-2201, lactuca virosa, opium, wild lettuce, wild opium lettuce