Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Various drugs not covered by other forums > Antidepressants
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 24-06-2008, 21:17
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Male
friendofJames is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 46, Level: 1 Points: 46, Level: 1 Points: 46, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Effexor (Venlafaxine) kills more than just people using it

We have joined this forum seeking help. Not for our or other’s symptoms, conditions, or withdrawals but for help in creating a defense for a young man currently awaiting trial, charged with first degree murder. The State is seeking the death penalty.
Let me explain briefly the situation. We am limited on the details that we can share because this case is still open and because of the possibility of damaging the case. Real names are not give, real dates are not given. The information that is given is true to the best of our knowledge and most of it verifiable by autopsy results.
On June 5, 2007 James woke up to find his girlfriend Sarah, dead lying beside him.
James claims that he and her had been drinking the day before. He was drinking beer and Sarah was drinking wine. Sarah has a history of excessive wine consumption. James states that when Sarah was drinking, she would never just stop drinking. Instead she would drink until she passed out or went to bed. Sarah, not James, also smoked marijuana as regularly as her budget would allow.
When James lay down to go to sleep on the night of June 4, Sarah was still awake, smoking marijuana and drinking wine to excess. The known prescription drugs that Sarah would take for depression, anxiety, and a thyroid condition were Effexor (Venlafaxine), Levothyroine Synthroid, and Xanax. The autopsy showed ethanol in her blood and Venlafaxine. No other drugs were shown to be present including marijuana.
Five months earlier, mid February, Sarah was taken to a hospital ER for an Effexor overdose in a suicide attempt. She had consumed over 60 Effexor tablets and had been drinking alcohol. She was revived and released within 32 hours. Sarah had at least one other suicide attempt several years prior by leaping from a moving vehicle.
On September 2, 2007, James was arrested for first degree murder. The method he is accused of is strangulation. Based on the autopsy, Sarah’s left side of her neck, in an area of 2”x1” there were 10-15 tardieu-like spots with no pattern and scattered petichiae. No trauma to the right side of her neck.
As with any criminal case, there are many stories, reports and theory’s. Too many to print in this forum. The information shared above will hopefully be enough to help us in our mission. That is, to attempt to find similar cases or stories on sudden death involving Effexor, (Venlafaxine) mixed with alcohol. Documentation would of course be the most helpful, however, we have had little success in finding documented cases hence the need for help.
If any forum members have any information regarding death in this manner or any link ideas that may lead us to additional information, it would be very helpful in assisting us in saving the life of yet another Venlafaxine victim.
Thanks to all in advance.
Friends of James

Post Quality Evaluations:
Terrible. Good luck
Old 24-06-2008, 23:18
Silver Member

35 y/o Male
Orchid_Suspiria probably knows what they are talking about.Orchid_Suspiria probably knows what they are talking about.Orchid_Suspiria probably knows what they are talking about.Orchid_Suspiria probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 1,427, Level: 5 Points: 1,427, Level: 5 Points: 1,427, Level: 5
Re: Effexor kills more than just people using it

I can believe this.I HATE effexor with a passion.It completely ruined someone I care for alot.It is pure evil that these scumbag psychiatrists destroy lives with this shit.
Old 25-06-2008, 01:16
Silver Member

25 y/o Male from United States
razorwiredildo is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 239, Level: 2 Points: 239, Level: 2 Points: 239, Level: 2

this article http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m..._n9196436/pg_3 makes a mention of sudden death from effexor
Old 25-06-2008, 02:08
Banned

Male
Panthers007 must mainline MedlinePanthers007 must mainline MedlinePanthers007 must mainline MedlinePanthers007 must mainline MedlinePanthers007 must mainline MedlinePanthers007 must mainline MedlinePanthers007 must mainline MedlinePanthers007 must mainline MedlinePanthers007 must mainline MedlinePanthers007 must mainline MedlinePanthers007 must mainline Medline
Points: 2,850, Level: 7 Points: 2,850, Level: 7 Points: 2,850, Level: 7

Well then people: Grab every story, news article, everything you can find about Effexor being a very BAD drug. Pile it in here. And you, friendofJames, get your copier loaded for bear with paper & ink. Get ready to haul a big sack into a courtroom to present the guy on the pillar with the pitcher of gin on his table.
Old 25-06-2008, 03:23
Palladium Member

Male from United States
allyourbase really adds to the discussion.allyourbase really adds to the discussion.allyourbase really adds to the discussion.allyourbase really adds to the discussion.allyourbase really adds to the discussion.allyourbase really adds to the discussion.
Points: 885, Level: 4 Points: 885, Level: 4 Points: 885, Level: 4
Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8%

http://www.drugs.com/effexor.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agdpf683zyI
http://www.webmd.com/depression/news...exor-overdoses

sudden death as a consequence of mixing alchohol and effexor is part of the medical literature relating to effexor. its not unlikely said person seized at the time, quite possibly causing the bruising.
Old 25-06-2008, 03:29
Banned

58 y/o Male
old hippie 56 must think in IUPACold hippie 56 must think in IUPACold hippie 56 must think in IUPACold hippie 56 must think in IUPACold hippie 56 must think in IUPACold hippie 56 must think in IUPACold hippie 56 must think in IUPACold hippie 56 must think in IUPACold hippie 56 must think in IUPACold hippie 56 must think in IUPACold hippie 56 must think in IUPAC
Points: 1,692, Level: 6 Points: 1,692, Level: 6 Points: 1,692, Level: 6

http://theeffexoractivist.org/
Check this site out.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:41
Gold Member

26 y/o Male from Earth
Coconut must think in IUPACCoconut must think in IUPACCoconut must think in IUPACCoconut must think in IUPACCoconut must think in IUPACCoconut must think in IUPACCoconut must think in IUPACCoconut must think in IUPACCoconut must think in IUPACCoconut must think in IUPACCoconut must think in IUPAC
Points: 2,836, Level: 7 Points: 2,836, Level: 7 Points: 2,836, Level: 7

I was prescribed venlafaxine a couple of years ago, much to my disdain. Within a day or two I experienced side-effects such as a complete inability to urinate, dizziness and my first ever (and last, thankfully) migraine.

Reading up on the side-effects of it, especially brain shocks, was pretty terrifying I must say.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:54
Silver Member

Male from USA - Pennsylvania
Hollow Hippie is captain of the psychonauts.Hollow Hippie is captain of the psychonauts.Hollow Hippie is captain of the psychonauts.

I despise SSRI's or any other shits, zoloft made me a zombie.
Old 17-07-2008, 16:43

Male
friendofJames is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 46, Level: 1 Points: 46, Level: 1 Points: 46, Level: 1

Thanks to each and everyone of you that have commented. Your support and links and comments have been more helpful than you can know.

Friends of James
Old 01-08-2008, 09:50

Male from United States
cruel.intentions is an unknown quantity at this point

Let me tell this, my "pet hamster" was administered alot of stuff during the years. Including mixing alot of alcohol and effexor and on many occasions amphetamines and weed aswell. However, never was the hamster even close to being out of control or sick to any serious deegree.
Old 03-08-2008, 23:09
Silver Member

Male from United Kingdom
jb2008 is a decent psychonaut.jb2008 is a decent psychonaut.

Well, venlafaxine does increase SWIM's appetite for risk, wreckless actions, but SWIM can control it. SWIM broke his arm trying to attack a cat, but other than that SWIM has had his life saved by efexor. It is very powerful and cures all physical symptoms, and then some. SWIM feels physically better than ever. He feels like he has been given a new life, though his personality has changed slightly. SWIM can see why some mentally deviant people can do stupid things on it though. Such are the risks. If they kill themselves on this chemical, it's likely they were going to do it anyway.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:50

Male from United States
Spare Chaynge really adds to the discussion.Spare Chaynge really adds to the discussion.Spare Chaynge really adds to the discussion.Spare Chaynge really adds to the discussion.Spare Chaynge really adds to the discussion.Spare Chaynge really adds to the discussion.
Points: 1,839, Level: 6 Points: 1,839, Level: 6 Points: 1,839, Level: 6

this is a weird post.. never seen somebody post needing help like this..

those anti depressants are bad shit good luck.
Old 11-08-2008, 17:08

28 y/o Male
Immortal1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1

It's not the drug that's the problem, it's the user. Not to be too harsh, but this girl seemed like an irresponsible idiot to me, it specifically says not drink alcohol when on these drugs, no mind weed. She had little common sense and didn't deserve to live, seriously.

Plus, if a doctor prescribes you something, you don't just go out and start taking it, what are we robots? You take responsibility for yourselves and find out about the drugs in this case (Effexor). It's a good thing she died, what kind of a mother would she be anyway? God forbid that didn't happen.

Bottom line, you could blame everything except yourself, in this case, herself. Drugs, drink, the list goes on. She immature and caused her own death.
Old 11-08-2008, 18:21
Silver Member

Male from United Kingdom

Exactly. People forget that people who are prescribed Effexor are most often classed as having moderate to severe strains of depression, rendering them at far higher risk of wrecklessness and suicide in the first place. I do think a lot of these people should be monitored 24/7 during the first month, and after any change in dosage thereafter, that is certain, but it is not always logistically viable.

People who generalise and call antidepressants "bad" because of the general stigma attached to them are not tarnishing the effects or reputation of any of these pills, rather, they are simply showcasing their ignorance. Yes, we know that AD's have adverse effects, particularly at the beginning and end of cycles, but no one is denying that. In the case of Effexor, I will say one thing against Wyeth, and that is that they should cut the lighthearted bullsh*t on the leaflet inside the packet, which makes the ven hcl inside sound like 500mg acetaminophen. Most people however would have the common sense to realise that the tablet they are about to take is serious, for a correspondingly serious condition. No one said it was going to be easy. Other than this, the manufacturers cannot control the simple fact that some drugs 'agree' with some people, other drugs agree with others. The workings of the brain are anything but explicit; scientists still don't know exactly what goes on in there, so in the case of AD's, it's very much trial and error. The hypersensitivity and irritability typical of major depressives is evident in the cries of horror that we hear from day to day e.g.

"OMFG EFFEXOR RUINED MY LIFE I TOOK EFFEXOR FOR 3 WHOLE WEEKS AND IT MADE ME FEEL REALLY SICK MY HEAD WAS LIKE A CIRCUS MY MARRIAGE HAS FALLEN APART IT'S ALL EFFEXOR'S FAULT I STOPPED TAKING IT AND I'M STILL DEPRESSED IT DIDN'T WORK IT RUINED MY LIFE"

As I said, though the exact science is not yet known, it has been posited that AD's actually regenerate neurones as well as correcting chemical transmission across the synapses. Who knows what else they do. What is certain is that it takes TIME.
People say 4, 6 weeks. I say 2 months at LEAST. And if you up your dosage, 2 months to see if that works. If that doesn't work, add some 5 HTP and THEN if there is absolutely no improvement, try another one. In theory, it could take YEARS for one to find the 'right' antidepressant. Doing retarded things like drinking alcohol on ven (didn't I say common sense!) or crying about an inanimate chemical is just going to make that formidable timeframe even more massive.

Effexor is not just for 'mood': that in fact comes much later, I find, than the relief of all the terrible physical symptoms that severe depression brings. Because the brain's neurotransmission mechanism is shot, a whole host of illnesses and dysfunctions can surface within your body; I certainly found myself a cripple just before I began on ven. I couldn't get up from my bed; I could move on my bed but in terms of walking and being active I was paralysed. It took as little as a month to get me up and walking again, but it took more than two months AFTER that, with a little help from a better diet, exercise and 5 HTP before bed, for me to feel the dark cloud lift.

Effexor also saves people's lives. It mostly kills retards. And if you're not a retard, I do apologise, and what is your compensation? This simple piece of advice:

If one antidepressant doesn't work after 2 months, wean yourself off it under the supervision of a doctor and TRY ANOTHER ONE until you are better.

Couldn't agree more! Apart from adding 5-htp to the mix - potentially very dangerous advice
Old 11-08-2008, 20:49

28 y/o Male
Immortal1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb2008 View Post
Exactly. People forget that people who are prescribed Effexor are most often classed as having moderate to severe strains of depression, rendering them at far higher risk of wrecklessness and suicide in the first place. I do think a lot of these people should be monitored 24/7 during the first month, and after any change in dosage thereafter, that is certain, but it is not always logistically viable.

People who generalise and call antidepressants "bad" because of the general stigma attached to them are not tarnishing the effects or reputation of any of these pills, rather, they are simply showcasing their ignorance. Yes, we know that AD's have adverse effects, particularly at the beginning and end of cycles, but no one is denying that. In the case of Effexor, I will say one thing against Wyeth, and that is that they should cut the lighthearted bullsh*t on the leaflet inside the packet, which makes the ven hcl inside sound like 500mg acetaminophen. Most people however would have the common sense to realise that the tablet they are about to take is serious, for a correspondingly serious condition. No one said it was going to be easy. Other than this, the manufacturers cannot control the simple fact that some drugs 'agree' with some people, other drugs agree with others. The workings of the brain are anything but explicit; scientists still don't know exactly what goes on in there, so in the case of AD's, it's very much trial and error. The hypersensitivity and irritability typical of major depressives is evident in the cries of horror that we hear from day to day e.g.

"OMFG EFFEXOR RUINED MY LIFE I TOOK EFFEXOR FOR 3 WHOLE WEEKS AND IT MADE ME FEEL REALLY SICK MY HEAD WAS LIKE A CIRCUS MY MARRIAGE HAS FALLEN APART IT'S ALL EFFEXOR'S FAULT I STOPPED TAKING IT AND I'M STILL DEPRESSED IT DIDN'T WORK IT RUINED MY LIFE"

As I said, though the exact science is not yet known, it has been posited that AD's actually regenerate neurones as well as correcting chemical transmission across the synapses. Who knows what else they do. What is certain is that it takes TIME.
People say 4, 6 weeks. I say 2 months at LEAST. And if you up your dosage, 2 months to see if that works. If that doesn't work, add some 5 HTP and THEN if there is absolutely no improvement, try another one. In theory, it could take YEARS for one to find the 'right' antidepressant. Doing retarded things like drinking alcohol on ven (didn't I say common sense!) or crying about an inanimate chemical is just going to make that formidable timeframe even more massive.

Effexor is not just for 'mood': that in fact comes much later, I find, than the relief of all the terrible physical symptoms that severe depression brings. Because the brain's neurotransmission mechanism is shot, a whole host of illnesses and dysfunctions can surface within your body; I certainly found myself a cripple just before I began on ven. I couldn't get up from my bed; I could move on my bed but in terms of walking and being active I was paralysed. It took as little as a month to get me up and walking again, but it took more than two months AFTER that, with a little help from a better diet, exercise and 5 HTP before bed, for me to feel the dark cloud lift.

Effexor also saves people's lives. It mostly kills retards. And if you're not a retard, I do apologise, and what is your compensation? This simple piece of advice:

If one antidepressant doesn't work after 2 months, wean yourself off it under the supervision of a doctor and TRY ANOTHER ONE until you are better.
I agree, with those points. Plus, It's not as f I'm making judgments by what I've read, I've been on this drug (venlafaxine) for about a year and it helped me lots. Anxiety and depression was taken care of in one go. It temporarily helped me get myself together after not being able to leave the house for months. I'm not guessing about this drug I KNOW from my own experience.

Lets just be responsible, and take care of ourselves and stop blaming the problems on everything else.
Old 11-08-2008, 22:09
Silver Member

Male from United Kingdom

@ "...she didn't deserve to live...it's a good thing she died" <- come on Immortal, I think she was a retard but that's a bit harsh!

Sick though the comments may be, I can see your point. I don't want any conscious creature to be in pain (I'm not a tree hugger it's just what I believe, and what everyone should believe)...so I don't like the fact that it must have been bloody painful to die like that, more uncomfortable than I can understand, but still, I can see what you're trying to get at with regard to her kids. Say she has about 3 kids, quite normal - what kind of life would they have had? With a mother who OD's on alcohol while taking venlafaxine?

And Immortal, I have had exactly the same amazing benefits. I couldn't leave the house, hell I couldn't leave a dark dark bed in a dark dark room...for years. Now I'm out and about, I am not anxious, I am healthily confident, I am not clinically depressed, I laugh, I can dance to music, and none of it feels "medicated". It is real. It feels like the chemical regenerated completely rotten parts of my brain. It is some f*cking seriously powerful stuff. This sounds stupid, but I don't care: venlafaxine, as long as I live, will always be in my heart. We keep those BEINGS who have done seemingly irreplicable favours for us in life, so why not for an "inanimate" chemical? ("Inanimate" is once again debateable: it was certainly f*king animate in my brain!!)

Wyeth would love this as a testimonial. Effexor saved my life. More importantly than for me, it helped my family. For me, however, the main benefit was the end of excruciating pain.

On this note, I do think Wyeth should change their in-packet booklet as I touched upon above. How about something along the lines of the following:

EFFEXOR XR X MG / VENLAFAXINE HCL / "THE BEAST"

THIS CAPSULE CONTAINS VENLAFAXINE HYDROCHLORIDE SALT WITH AN EQUIVALENT OF X MG VENLAFAXINE AS THE ACTIVE INGREDIENT. THIS CHEMICAL IS F*KING HARD TO THE CORE. NO JOKE, WE AT WYETH ARE SERIOUS. IF YOU HAVE A HISTORY OF RETARDATION, COMPULSIVE, OBSESSIVE, STRANGE ACTS, OR OTHERWISE UNSETTLED BEHAVIOUR AND/OR SUICIDAL IDEATIONS, ENSURE THAT YOU ARE SUPERVISED 24/7 DURING THE FIRST 4 WEEKS ON EFFEXOR XR. IT MAY BE NECESSARY TO CHECK INTO THE HOSPITAL IF YOUR FAMILY IS WORKING/YOU LIVE ALONE. MANY OF THE NURSES AT HOSPITAL ARE ALSO HUMAN SSRIS, BUT YOU CAN TAKE THESE WITH EFFEXOR WITHOUT ANY SERIOUS SIDE EFFECTS. SPEAKING OF SIDE EFFECTS, HOWEVER, FOR THE FIRST FEW WEEKS, THEY ARE F*CKING SERIOUS. PLEASE DON'T SH*T YOURSELF/DISCONTINUE USE/CRY ON AN INTERNET PETITION DURING THIS PERIOD. YOU CANNOT EXPECT YOUR BRAIN TO BE REBUILT IN A DAY: THIS IS A SERIOUS JOB, IT TAKES TIME, AND INDEED SOME CONSIDERABLE DISCOMFORT, WE AT WYETH ARE NOT EVEN GOING TO SUGAR COAT IT. TWO MONTHS PER DOSE INCREMENT IS RECOMMENDED, AND ONLY THEN COME AND CRY TO US, THOUGH YOU WILL PROBABLY WANT TO LICK THE DOPAMINE RESIDUE OFF OUR LAB COATS INSTEAD.

(c) WYETH LABS INC

Very funny.
great post

Last edited by jb2008; 11-08-2008 at 22:14. Reason: Additions
Old 12-08-2008, 00:04
Silver Member

Male from United States
thebige really adds to the discussion.thebige really adds to the discussion.thebige really adds to the discussion.thebige really adds to the discussion.thebige really adds to the discussion.thebige really adds to the discussion.
Points: 1,072, Level: 5 Points: 1,072, Level: 5 Points: 1,072, Level: 5

Not to go off topic......but you should be the person writing the package inserts...period

very true
Old 24-08-2008, 01:44
Silver Member

Male from United Kingdom

thebige, SWIM agrees with SWIY 100 percent! SWIM emailed wyeth but there was no reply. How ignorant.

Just to note, whoever thinks it is unsafe, taking 5-HTP with an SSRI/SNRI is NOT dangerous in normal doses, just as it is not dangerous taken on its own in doses up to 500 mg. It is dangerous, with SNRI/SSRI or not, when taken in doses above 1 gram.
SWIM took about 2 grams and he felt quite sick, he went to sleep then he was fine. Mild serotonin syndrome, but nothing like the hell he had on DXM! The key thing is to not be a retard with the 5 HTP in general, whatever you're taking, it's a naturally occuring chemical that has many potential benefits, but as always, be responsible!
Old 07-11-2009, 14:25
Silver Member

29 y/o Female from Canada
Rin_Weh is captain of the psychonauts.Rin_Weh is captain of the psychonauts.Rin_Weh is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 456, Level: 3 Points: 456, Level: 3 Points: 456, Level: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
It's not the drug that's the problem, it's the user. Not to be too harsh, but this girl seemed like an irresponsible idiot to me, it specifically says not drink alcohol when on these drugs, no mind weed. She had little common sense and didn't deserve to live, seriously.

Plus, if a doctor prescribes you something, you don't just go out and start taking it, what are we robots? You take responsibility for yourselves and find out about the drugs in this case (Effexor). It's a good thing she died, what kind of a mother would she be anyway? God forbid that didn't happen.

Bottom line, you could blame everything except yourself, in this case, herself. Drugs, drink, the list goes on. She immature and caused her own death.
I think death is a harsh penalty for making a dumb decision.

Rin_Weh added 9 Minutes and 37 Seconds later...

.....but, either she tried to kill herself, or she just took so much it killed her. I don't see how that's being a retard. I think it's being depressed.
All the drugs people talk about on here could kill them even if they didn't mean to. Does that mean you deserve to die?
I don't know, I'm sorry about your friend man. Whether she meant to or not, it's still sad.

Although I agree with your sentiment please don't resurrect dead threads.

Last edited by Rin_Weh; 07-11-2009 at 14:25. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 19-12-2009, 11:06

41 y/o Male from Bermuda
Smartash is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1
Re: Effexor (Venlafaxine) kills more than just people using it

Venafaxine is the best med I was perscribed for my depression from long term opiate use (perscribed) and it's reuptake dynamics are unique, whch I think it make it's more effect in treating my chronic nerve.

This is an old thread to which this post contributes nothing. Please bear in mind the 'signal to noise ratio' rule.

Share this on:

Tags
alcohol, cannabis, effexor, snri, snri adverse effects, snri side effects, venlafaxine, weed