Notices

Peyote & San Pedro All about Peyote, San Pedro and other mescaline cacti

Old 17-06-2008, 18:35

27 y/o Male
The Rice God is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 51, Level: 1 Points: 51, Level: 1 Points: 51, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
how to eat a peyote cactus?

hi, swim has a four year old peyote cactus which is starting to look very appetising, swim would now like to know how to go about eating it as swim has heard you eat the whole thing and also that you cut 'buttons' off it..?

swim has some photo's of said cactus here..

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y16...s/SL370198.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y16...s/SL370196.jpg
Old 18-06-2008, 06:00
Silver Member

Male from Australia
Kada is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 118, Level: 1 Points: 118, Level: 1 Points: 118, Level: 1
Re: how to eat a peyote cactus?

i hate to burst your bubble, but you are going to need a few more of those to get much from. no sense killing it and not feeling anything. in my opinion, 3-4 5cm+ buttons is a good start.

good luck
Old 20-06-2008, 07:46

27 y/o Male

thanks but which bit is the button? is it this bit which i eat? also i thought you could cut whatever bit you eat off cactus and it carried on growing..

Old 20-06-2008, 15:34
Silver Member

Male from Australia

oh sorry, i tend to not explain things clearly.

button means one "head" or crown or pup etc of the cactus. basically the whole *single* cactus above ground. each new offset/pup is called a button. you eat the entire plant that grows above groound, the green part. be careful it is VERY bitter.....way worse than san pedro.

All cactus, except a few freaks, need to grow form an areole. the areole is where the spines come out, or in Lophophora the "hairy" area. they HAVE to pup from this spot, they cannot send out new growth from the skin.

Look in these photos, see where the new "button" is growing from?

so, when you cut it, cut cut it above the soil line a bit, and be sure to leave some areoles (hairy things). in time, this may take over a year, they will send out new offstes (branches, buttons, pups whatever name floats your boat ). some will send out new pup within weeks...i have some peyote that was cut over 2 years ago and still has not sent out any new growth....just sits there as is.

Cacti grow from the apical mersitem, which is usually the center of the cactus and they grow out. if you do not damage this part, it will keep growing when cut (but be scared). this is waht i do now. i just cut out chunks from the side of the cactus and let the center growing point remain intact, this way it still grows on at normal pace.

good luck bro, its a great plant!!!

Post Quality Evaluations:
Helpful posts in this thread.
good looking out
Old 22-06-2008, 12:31

27 y/o Male

thanks for the post there kada, thats a lot of helpful stuff! i'm thinking if i cut slices off, around the spine, kind of like how you might slice bits off a mango, around the stone for eating then that should do it. am i correct in thinking i'd need to eat the little bit thats there now in order to encourage/ expedite growth?

oh and also, can i just swallow it or do i have to chew? /:
Old 22-06-2008, 13:59
Silver Member

Male from Australia

Quote:
am i correct in thinking i'd need to eat the little bit thats there now in order to encourage/ expedite growth?
sorry bro, don't quite follow.

and yes i think if you cut slices it would work well. cut them above ground a bit and dont harm the center. this way they wont rot and will keep growing normally. if you chop the top, you will wait a long time.

peyote on their own roots, when topped, take a LONG time to start generating new offsets!

there are wieghts and stuff for dosage on erowid....i suggest 3-4 5cm whole buttons, or equivelant amount of slices. the native people dry them then chew and swallow (pick off the hairs, they are disgusting!). i like the blender juice method and do it in a couple supersized shots....seems to start faster this way as well.
Old 22-06-2008, 14:37

27 y/o Male

you answered the bit you didn't get in your post (:

thanks for your help dude, for some reason all the info i seem to be able to find on the internet was about san pedro cacti and nothing on peyote, so thanks!

one more question though if you dont mind? since swim doesnt have a blender swim is inclined to cut some slices off and dry them out - does swim just cut them off, as in this photo: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._CA_Police.jpg

does swim let them for dry for a particular length of time? where would swim leave them to dry?

sorry to be a pain bro once swim has cut these pups off ill buy a book about them!!
Old 22-06-2008, 18:06
Silver Member

Male from Australia

not a pain at all man....these forums are here to talk about it

your link shows plants that had the tops cut off. that is ok if you can dry them fast.....thick slices dry slower and if its cool and humid will often go moldy. i cut mine into 1/2 cm slices and place them on a bbq style metal grid. dries in one day and not rot or mold. its easier to pick out the hairs before you dry though.

if you are growing your own why not leave them until your ready and eat fresh? the taste is horrid...i mean it is really BAD! but this way you cacti grow until use....this is what i do so i dont cut something and regret it later lol. just a thought. dried cacti, although still nasty, i find taste a little better...however, they are much harder to chew and are disgusting in that you are chewing a rubbery dead plant.

eating is the biggest obstacle, after growing it.
Old 22-06-2008, 20:05

27 y/o Male

well, i was hoping to cut some slices off it, eat them and wait for more to grow back.. do you s'pose i'm better off waiting until the cactus has grown a bit bigger? i don't want it to die from having bits sliced
off it if i can slice off around the spine and let it grow back that'd be preferable!

i'm ready to eat them as soon as possible, i'm just worried that a. i might kill it and b. i might not have enough to feel anything.
Old 22-06-2008, 21:23
Ethnobotanical Cannibal

Male from United States
Bajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 7,179, Level: 12 Points: 7,179, Level: 12 Points: 7,179, Level: 12
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

Please read the rules and stop self-incriminating.
Old 22-06-2008, 22:42

27 y/o Male

it's legal in this country so nobody's gonna come and kick my door down.

or my friend's door, who owns the cactus.
Old 22-06-2008, 22:52
Banned

Male
Panthers007 must mainline MedlinePanthers007 must mainline MedlinePanthers007 must mainline MedlinePanthers007 must mainline MedlinePanthers007 must mainline MedlinePanthers007 must mainline MedlinePanthers007 must mainline MedlinePanthers007 must mainline MedlinePanthers007 must mainline MedlinePanthers007 must mainline MedlinePanthers007 must mainline Medline
Points: 2,850, Level: 7 Points: 2,850, Level: 7 Points: 2,850, Level: 7

This is an international forum. The rules regarding self-incrimination (and all others) applies regardless of your location.

And just as a point of reference to people - there was a rumor out there that the cottony-tufts in Peyote contained strychnine and had to be removed before one eats them. This is not true. They contain the equivalent of cotton. You remove said simply so it won't get caught in the monkey's throat.
Old 23-06-2008, 07:38
Silver Member

Male from Australia

if its legal to do in our country are we allowed to talk about it? its not incriminating if its legal.

Rice god. as long as tehre is enough. erowid has dosages of mescaline in mg, so you could work it out. it seems to me that a minimum of 2 5cm+ plants are needed (the entire top part of the plant from the ground). other than that i think you may need a scale.
Old 23-06-2008, 14:45
Ethnobotanical Cannibal

Male from United States
Bajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 7,179, Level: 12 Points: 7,179, Level: 12 Points: 7,179, Level: 12
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

Sigh, for some reason no one really seems to actually read and comprehend the rule on self-incrimination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Do Not Incriminate Yourself!
It is not allowed to post that you are going to do or have done any illegal activity or that you have used any illegal drugs. Hypothetical stories or questions are allowed.
It is allowed to describe your dreams. It is allowed to describe the actions of your pet or AFOAF (A Friend Of A Friend). Creative writing is welcomed.

Because it is not possible for staff to keeping track of every members location and because most drugs are illegal somewhere, we consider confessing to any drug use to be self incrimination.

To reiterate the part that everyone seems to look over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pay Attention!
Because it is not possible for staff to keeping track of every members location and because most drugs are illegal somewhere, we consider confessing to any drug use to be self incrimination.

If anyone wants to debate this, there are threads in the Forum Use forum to do so. Now lets get back on track and not turn into a self-incrimination merits discussion like way too many threads in here do.
Old 23-06-2008, 16:38
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Male
thx1134 is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 103, Level: 1 Points: 103, Level: 1 Points: 103, Level: 1

I think whoever took this picture owns a very attractive and healthy peyote specimen!

Tell your friend that they can find the answer he is looking for by cruising this forum and looking up similar topics.
Old 23-06-2008, 19:27

27 y/o Male

hi thx1134, if you're talking about the pics in my first post, i took it though i obvously don't own the cactus but my friend will be reassured to know it's healthy, because he was slightly concerned by the yellowish colour at the bottom, especially since erowid described peyote as 'blue-green'.. but thanks for your comment!

kada, thanks for your continuing help, i've found the erowid site and it looks very helpful! i'm now starting to think my friends cactus is too small to begin munching away on, so perhaps he should leave it for a while, on closer inspection this afternoon i noticed it's begun flowering! so he thinks he'll leave it and see what the flower does, though he's not going to try to eat the flower!
images from him:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y16...s/SL370209.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y16...s/SL370210.jpg

oh and since these photo's don't give much of an idea of the size of the cactus, here is one with a lighter next to it..
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y16...s/SL370213.jpg

bajeda; i did read these rules but didn't really see that it applied to me, being as i live in a country where everything i've posted about so far has been legal. i do however see and respect your point that from a moderator's pov you can't tell where everyone lives and make sure that they're not talking about illegal activity so i promise i'll behave from now on! (:
Old 23-06-2008, 23:01
Silver Member

Male from Australia

nice looking cactus! that doesn't look much liek a flower, looks like a fruit. should get seeds soon then you can plant more

that size wouldn't be enough to eat, someone would want *probably* 4-5+ of those.
Old 23-06-2008, 23:25

27 y/o Male

oh score! sorry but that's gonna beg one more question then.. how do i get the seeds?

i s'pose an easier question might be does the erowid website have all the info i need?

thanks bro!
Old 25-06-2008, 06:01
Silver Member

Male from Australia

lt the fruit start to dry and get all shriveled, then you can pick it and take out the seed sand either plant them or dry them should only take say a week or 2 i would think
Old 26-06-2008, 08:15

27 y/o Male

cool! i'm gonna leave it til the fruit goes shrivelly then and hopefully plant some more! ((:

is there a market for peyote buttons/ mescaline do you know?
Old 26-06-2008, 19:17
Silver Member

Male from Australia

well the NAC buys a lot of wild harvested ones. around the world Lophophora are collected as a collector cactus (along the lines of astrophytum and turbinicarpous etc....but not bred for as many things)

Share this on:

Tags
drug, drugs, drugs-forum, escaline, mescaline, mescaline cactus, peyote, san pedro