Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > RECOVERY & ADDICTION > Drug Addiction & Recovery > Opiate addiction
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Opiate addiction Support for coping with Opiate addiction and Opiate addiction treatment.

Old 11-06-2008, 00:14
Silver Member

37 y/o Male from United States
UNIBLACK810 is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 102, Level: 1 Points: 102, Level: 1 Points: 102, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Does your body ever feel right again after long term opiate use?

SWIM had been a long term heroin and cocaine addict. Although SWIM was one of those functioning addict's nonetheless SWIM was just as much an addict if not more as the person panhandling and ripping off walgreen's. SWIM tried for many years to get clean and before now SWIM probably had only been clean the longest of maybe 2 weeks. SWIM hasn't done heroin or cocaine in 2 years now. Eventhough SWIMis now no longer phyisically addicted to either anymore SWIM's body just never ever feels normal. Always tired and moody, No motivation. However if SWIM happens to come across an OXY and takes it, SWIM feels absolutely fine. I mean not to the point where SWIM is "High" SWIM just feels normal. With energy, not so irritated, just back like SWIM did before SWIM ever messed with heroin. SWIM says'he remembers reading once before that heroin changes your body chemistry in some way. And that once it is changed it does'nt go back to the way it was. This is a huge problem for SWIM as SWIM cannot see himself dealing with that same feeling for years to come. Seem's as if SWIM is going thru a mild withdrawl still every single day. But when SWIM even takes just one 5mg vicodin or an Oxy SWIM feels absolutely normal. WTF! SWIM is pretty knowledgeable with addiction and substance abuse but this boggles the shit out of SWIM. Anyone got any answers or suggestion.

Post Quality Evaluations:
good question which many opiate addicts are concerned about
exellent question
Nice! I was always wondering the same thing

Last edited by Dickon; 23-06-2009 at 08:59. Reason: mentioning things that probably shouldn't be mentioned.
Old 12-06-2008, 15:08
R.I.P.

Female from United States
moda00 must mainline Medlinemoda00 must mainline Medlinemoda00 must mainline Medlinemoda00 must mainline Medlinemoda00 must mainline Medlinemoda00 must mainline Medlinemoda00 must mainline Medlinemoda00 must mainline Medlinemoda00 must mainline Medlinemoda00 must mainline Medlinemoda00 must mainline Medline
Points: 3,393, Level: 8 Points: 3,393, Level: 8 Points: 3,393, Level: 8
Re: Does your body ever feel right again after long term opiate use?

How often has swiy been doing occasional pharma pills or other opiates? Part of it may be because even if he has stopped heroin and cocaine, his body is still not being allowed to return to "normal." Swim too does wonder this and hopes perhaps someone with a longer tiem sober can answer. Swim can't say for sure because she has been on methadone, so while she was stabilized and totally sober for around a year after getting of heroin/coke, she was and is using methadone for maintenance. I do wonder sometimes about the hypothesis that some people may need opiates to function, whether because they are born that way, or whether brought on by addiction, I don't know. Just a random thought. But would be interested in more feedback. I think that it is very possible and likely that in such a case (issues of continued use of other drugs, pharmas, etc. aside) it could also be related to another underlying issue. For example, physical and psychological overlap, and any condition- depression, chronic fatigue syndrome, a sleep disorder, etc. can really cause one to feel "out of whack" or "out of balance." If this is the reason a person starts using, it makes sense that when they stop these feelings/problems could return and may need treatment. Sorry for the rambling post, just throwing some ideas out there, but would love to hear more experiences/opinions..

excellent topic,swim needs to hopw that one day she will feel 'ok'.thank-you
Old 12-06-2008, 19:57
Titanium Member

Male from Earth
y0ssarianlives is a decent psychonaut.y0ssarianlives is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 312, Level: 2 Points: 312, Level: 2 Points: 312, Level: 2

Just as many people have issues with levels of brain chemistry such as overproduction/underproduction of serotonin, norepherine, and dopamine, individuals can also have wacked out levels of endorphins. These are people who may be extremely drawn to opioid use as these substances not only are extremely euphoric but may help correct an imbalance in the brain. Problem is, the use only results in throwing the levels far away from baseline, sometimes permanetely. SWIM has heard that the brain requires 6 months to a year to fully recover from long term opioid abuse; but SWIM is sure this varies from person to person.

SWIM is personally on methadone maintainance as he just does not have the willpower or ability to go cold turkey and feel like shit at various levels for 6 months to a year waiting to recover. SWIM does not like the fact that he may be dependent on an opioid for the rest of his life; but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

So good luck man, hope this may have helped.
Old 12-06-2008, 23:42
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moda00 View Post
How often has swiy been doing occasional pharma pills or other opiates? Part of it may be because even if he has stopped heroin and cocaine, his body is still not being allowed to return to "normal." Swim too does wonder this and hopes perhaps someone with a longer tiem sober can answer. Swim can't say for sure because she has been on methadone, so while she was stabilized and totally sober for around a year after getting of heroin/coke, she was and is using methadone for maintenance. I do wonder sometimes about the hypothesis that some people may need opiates to function, whether because they are born that way, or whether brought on by addiction, I don't know. Just a random thought. But would be interested in more feedback. I think that it is very possible and likely that in such a case (issues of continued use of other drugs, pharmas, etc. aside) it could also be related to another underlying issue. For example, physical and psychological overlap, and any condition- depression, chronic fatigue syndrome, a sleep disorder, etc. can really cause one to feel "out of whack" or "out of balance." If this is the reason a person starts using, it makes sense that when they stop these feelings/problems could return and may need treatment. Sorry for the rambling post, just throwing some ideas out there, but would love to hear more experiences/opinions..
First off i would like to thank you greatly MODA for replying to SWIM's thread as since SWIM has been a member I alway's enjoy reading your post, and response's. Such good input and information you provide. As for SWIM's occasional scrip useage it is very minimal. Maybe 3 or 4 times a month. couple of vic's 1 or 2 oc 40's. Not all at one time though. And what's crazy is is that SWIM swares he does not use it for a high, just to feel some type of normalcy or balance. At one point SWIM was diagnosed as bi polar. SWIM began taking med's and none did any good at all. But any opiate in any form make's SWIM feel like a normal person again. And just as you said the feeling "out of wack" was the reason SWIM started using. Also it is really upseting that there is no way you could even explain to any physician that the only thing that works both physically and mentally for you is an opiate without having them look at you as just some "ole junkie". SWIM was thinking of trying the methadone maintainence but SWIM is afraid of being hooked on the meth. SWIM has to do something. Thanks once again for your help.

UNIBLACK810 added 10 Minutes and 1 Seconds later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by y0ssarianlives View Post
Just as many people have issues with levels of brain chemistry such as overproduction/underproduction of serotonin, norepherine, and dopamine, individuals can also have wacked out levels of endorphins. These are people who may be extremely drawn to opioid use as these substances not only are extremely euphoric but may help correct an imbalance in the brain. Problem is, the use only results in throwing the levels far away from baseline, sometimes permanetely. SWIM has heard that the brain requires 6 months to a year to fully recover from long term opioid abuse; but SWIM is sure this varies from person to person.

SWIM is personally on methadone maintainance as he just does not have the willpower or ability to go cold turkey and feel like shit at various levels for 6 months to a year waiting to recover. SWIM does not like the fact that he may be dependent on an opioid for the rest of his life; but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

So good luck man, hope this may have helped.
Very helpful. Good thought provoking point's. I had been reading up on some things about serotonin. endorphin's, and dopamine as SWIM was figuring that might be the underlying problem. SWIM has also read about the time to heal and SWIM is also sure this is a cause for variation. SWIM wants also to maybe try the methadone but is afraid of being "hooked on the meth. SWIM is very frightened behind the idea of being dependent of an opiate life long, but the way SWIM feels it may also have to be that way for SWIM. Besides SWIM has moved far away from where SWIM is originally from and SWIM knows nothing about where SWIM would go to get on methadone maintenance. SWIM does not like the fact of having to report to a clinic everyday either. Could SWIM get a scrip from a regular doctor for it? Anyways thanxs very much for your feedback. It was very helpful. This is why I love this site. Later

Last edited by UNIBLACK810; 12-06-2008 at 23:42. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 13-06-2008, 00:40
R.I.P.

Female from United States
moda00 must mainline Medlinemoda00 must mainline Medlinemoda00 must mainline Medlinemoda00 must mainline Medlinemoda00 must mainline Medlinemoda00 must mainline Medlinemoda00 must mainline Medlinemoda00 must mainline Medlinemoda00 must mainline Medlinemoda00 must mainline Medlinemoda00 must mainline Medline
Points: 3,393, Level: 8 Points: 3,393, Level: 8 Points: 3,393, Level: 8

Thanks for your kind comments UNIBLACK810.

god damn, if us swiys and swims could get methadone scripts like "normal people" (pain patients, etc. who do get it via the normal route) things would be a hell of a lot simpler. Something to hope for in better days to come. But addicts are treated with the kid gloves and the "you can't do anything right" approach, thus clinic attendance, one methadone clinic in my area has cameras in waiting rooms and bathrooms, etc. Bullshit imho.

I read a study about the benefits of hospital based methadone maintenance in which a doc is seen 1-2 times a month and a script is given, these people had much better reintegration to society, I'll find it either in archive or add it if it's not there.

Perhaps one cannot entirely generalize, but I would bet on the fact that there are some people who do not ever feel normal without opiates, and maintenance or prescription programs would be a good option to help these people and reduce harm, even though I have heard the 6-12 mos. thing and likely some people do completely recover, physically and mentally, as well.

I gotta run to the bank before it closes in 21 minutes lol. Brb with that study if can find it
Old 13-06-2008, 01:12
Silver Member

Yeah thats what I figured about the meth. But it was a good maybe for a minute though. Hope you catch the bank on time. Anways Swim will wait for that info later. Thanxs.
Old 19-01-2009, 00:49

34 y/o Female
Robbo is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 25, Level: 1 Points: 25, Level: 1 Points: 25, Level: 1

Quite an old post, but had to reply, my mate sam knows exactly what you mean about takin it to feel 'normal' .. Whenever sam is straight she feels exactly the same as you have described, tired, bit down, never got any get up n go.. alive in her head but not in her body, this is alot of the reason why she started using again and has ended up with a habit again ( H ) , she was on a subutex script for 2 and a half yrs and that was when she felt her best, always had energy, instead of sittin around moping, if someone rang her up n said 'hey lets do this' instead of sitting there n thinking oh I cant be bothered shed be up n out , raring to go.. I am wondering whether I may have to be in treatment for the rest of my life, but like you that thought is quite scary.... I tried anti depressants, several kinds, they did nothing, i wouldnt of described myself as depressed anyway, but it was the doctor who suggested them as i said i was feeling tired all the time, no energy etc, several people suggested to me chronic fatigue syndrome , allergies to wheat/gluten, diabetes and other things i cant remember at this time of the morning lol, saying that all the symptoms i describe could be due to these things , I dont know, Anyway, im rambling now, and it is time for me to get to bed...

Thanks for posting this.

Robbo added 2 Minutes and 59 Seconds later...

Ahhh , im definatly tired, I forgot I was telling my friend sams story and accidently started writing as if it was about me ... forget me head if it werent screwed on !! Like I sed, that is that is sams story not mine, heaven forbid i would ever try drugs !

Last edited by Robbo; 19-01-2009 at 00:49. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 19-01-2009, 01:52
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Male from United Kingdom
doublezero is learning how to become a psychonaut.

swim says yes, but swim ate sort of healthy and exercised often, kept his brai nand mind active,,

swiy may be noticing the pain that opiates wiped away, if so then your pains are permanent. swim advices u see a doctor. Swim advices a healthy life style, and if its your joints then cod liver oil or fish oils.

swim says u will be fine, swims starting yoga, tai chi and tai quan do

not good advise
good advice actually. Do things legit instead of self medication

Last edited by Dickon; 23-06-2009 at 09:07. Reason: Deleting some non-recovery related guff.
Old 21-01-2009, 10:05

33 y/o Male
Morpheous is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 17, Level: 1 Points: 17, Level: 1 Points: 17, Level: 1

I'm guessing this is the right place to post this, so here it goes.....

To be honest, ive been thinkin the same thing, SWIM has been on and off H for years now but always been stabalised with some sort of pharm drug, either meth or subutex! SWIM is now off both and the "H" after 12 years but i tell ya what those bloody endorphines are a pain in the ass, dont get me wrong, they're great in small proportions but constantly?????? WTF!!!! SWIM feels like im shivering all day!!!

On the plus side, the natural sleep is wonderful and the passing comments SWIM gets from friends about how I look are great and my energy level has gone through the roof (which isn't always a good thing!!)

Anyways, anyone have any suggestions how to keep the shivers/endorphines from releasing so quicly, i guess it doesn't help its pissin down, fuckin freezin and windy as hell!!! lol

Seriously tho, any tips would be greatlt appreciated!!!
Old 23-01-2009, 13:40

43 y/o Male
Robsa is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbo View Post
Ahhh , im definatly tired, I forgot I was telling my friend sams story and accidently started writing as if it was about me ... forget me head if it werent screwed on !! Like I sed, that is that is sams story not mine, heaven forbid i would ever try drugs !
Yes, I think you forgot to type 'Sam said:"... somewhere.

My thought is this person may be mentally still not over the addiction and as a result they dont feel physically as if they are. The fact that they are still occasionally taking tablets suggests to me that they are maybe thinking about it still.

The mind is an amazingly powerful thing. Tell yourself you feel rough and you do. There was a recent clinical trial on acupuncture which found that it DID help migraine sufferers. However, so did randomly placed needles by someone pretending to be an experienced acupuncturist. If you think it will work, it will. Conversely, if you think you will never be normal again, you wont.

I think that the OP should tell their friend to think about hypnotherapy. I hear it can be very effective. Or try NA which also really helps some people. In fact, all the addicts my friend has known, the only ones who ever got and stayed clean in the long term all went to NA.

I have never read anywhere that the body never recovers/takes many years to recover from opiate addiction. My friend was addicted for about 8 years and once they got help and got clean they were back to normal in about 3 to 6 months. Remember there is often an underlaying reason why they are using in the first place, such as depression, and this could also be the reason if it is undiagnosed.

Informative post
Old 23-01-2009, 13:55

Male from United Kingdom
doublezero is learning how to become a psychonaut.

interesting robsa, swim has had acupuncture, in the ears, guided mediation,,,it worked, but was always a bit warey,,,,,,,

and mental addiction is half the problem, cleart the mind, r
efresh and re program, otherwise u will always go vback to smack or opiate based substances
Old 23-01-2009, 14:03

43 y/o Male
Robsa is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublezero View Post
and mental addiction is half the problem, cleart the mind,
Yep, in fact I would say mental addiction is 99% of the problem as the the worst of the physical withdrawal is over in maybe a month but your mind is going to be there for the rest of your life! If people don't want to be clean then they never will be, unless they get washed up on a desert island that is! And knowing addicts, they will still find a way to use

You can see them laying out twigs shaped to look like syringes or seaweed 'foil sheets'...
Old 05-06-2009, 10:25
Silver Member

Male
artmayes167 is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 77, Level: 1 Points: 77, Level: 1 Points: 77, Level: 1

I am a lawyer. I am also the husband of a heroin addict who has been clean for 8 years. It has not been easy.

Over the 7 years we have been together, I've developed a few theories. Take them with a grain of salt-- I am not a psychologist, but I have a 175 IQ and know quite a bit about psychology.

The use of heroin is a substitute for emotional development. It induces a feeling of peace, where none actually exists. In that way, it is a window on spiritual and emotional development-- it shows you what you may eventually attain.

But the world, at least in America, does not accept that people need time to develop emotionally and spiritually. So re-socialization can be very difficult. The easiest way is, of course, to go back on heroin and reject society.

But there are better ways. Few of them as easy.

Depressants, like vicodin, can fill the void, but they ignore the issue. The best option I've found is, at this late stage of development, to seek a spiritual teacher to help you deal with the rush of emotions that come as a result of the insensitive madness the world throws at you. Not any particular religion or spiritual philosophy-- each functions as well as any other-- just one that enables you to develop a better way to deal with things, to develop a way to realize the inner peace you found on heroin. Because that's the goal.

Peace found in a substance will destroy you. Seek a lasting peace. There's no shame in feeling overwhelmed. We all feel overwhelmed. Some of us just have more effective ways of dealing with that.

The worst part is how angry everybody seems, how violent. Imagine them as barking dogs. We don't hate the dogs for barking-- they simply don't know any better. They bark when they're angry, or afraid. So do we. And we can't expect them to understand their plights, but we can comfort them, or stay away when they're too crazed.

Good luck, everybody. It's a strange and un-empathetic world. But there are others out there who understand. And there are better ways of dealing with the madness than retreating from it.

What a great first post! Valuable insight from personal experience.
For pointing out the oft-neglected spiritual element in a healthy recovery.
very good post, theoretically sound and insightful
Great insight indeed.
lovely post that's given me some inspiration. thank you for posting!
wow, perfectly put. this is what swim's been thinking but couldnt verbalize. Thanks so much for the help!
Very well said. I've been thinking a lot about joining a church. Filling my time with something positive.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:37
Palladium Member

Female from Earth
ex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 5,548, Level: 10 Points: 5,548, Level: 10 Points: 5,548, Level: 10
Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8%

swim cant remember what she felt like before opiates, so she doesnt know if she feels "normal" now. this has become her normal though. she feels pretty normal. not as energetic as she would have expected, but she doesnt exercise, and she is nearly 30, so she assumes its just part and parcel of getting older.

the above poster is right, opiates retard you emotionally. whatever your emotional state was before opiates, is reverted back to afterwards. any underlying problems resume from where they were paused at.

I was thinking the same. I started opiates at 28. I am now 39. I feel lost. Tired. Moody.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:27
Silver Member

Male from Vanuatu
Master_Khan probably knows what they are talking about.Master_Khan probably knows what they are talking about.Master_Khan probably knows what they are talking about.Master_Khan probably knows what they are talking about.Master_Khan probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 719, Level: 4 Points: 719, Level: 4 Points: 719, Level: 4

Just want to comment that there seems to be a lot of good advice on this thread as well as a couple of good theories. Swim would be happy to hear a story from someone who successfully overcame serious opiate addiction but discovered after a long period of sobriety that a small maintenance dose for the purpose of 'righting the ship' was actually a positive experience which led to improved functioning and happiness.

UniBlack hasn't posted in about a month, so we send out an instant Kharma to Uni and pray him peace & well-being wherever he is.
Old 05-06-2009, 14:50

Male
GutterPhenomenon69 should review received reputation comments.
Points: 166, Level: 2 Points: 166, Level: 2 Points: 166, Level: 2

Swim would suggest for you suboxone. Most ppl with long term opiate addiction need somethin to keep them feeling good and normal and NOT HIGH. Swim is on methadone tho at times wishes he got on suboxone since it is less addicting ps when swim did take suboxone it gave him alot of energy. Just a thought tho im sure swiy has heard of it before.
Old 23-06-2009, 23:03
Banned

44 y/o Male from United Kingdom
Dickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 7,375, Level: 12 Points: 7,375, Level: 12 Points: 7,375, Level: 12

My two cents worth for the original topic is yes. I do not hold with the whole "methadone is like insulin for diabetics" perspective. However, I do think that former opiate addicts do have to go the extra mile to get endorphin level to return to a respectable level. I think we're often looking at a minimum of 6-12 months recovery. My current pet physical activity for making one's body feel right is Yoga! I know of one person who found the first year or two off opiates (and everything else) to be really difficult but then found things got a lot better. For some, they feel great after a few weeks. So, I think a lot depends on the individual, and what they do after getting off, as well as how they feel about staying clean and life in general.

Be well everyone

Dickon

Last edited by Dickon; 29-06-2009 at 18:31. Reason: self-destructing answer to question in deleted post!
Old 23-06-2009, 23:39
Palladium Member

Female from Tajikistan
0utrider must mainline Medline0utrider must mainline Medline0utrider must mainline Medline0utrider must mainline Medline0utrider must mainline Medline0utrider must mainline Medline0utrider must mainline Medline0utrider must mainline Medline0utrider must mainline Medline0utrider must mainline Medline0utrider must mainline Medline
Points: 6,241, Level: 11 Points: 6,241, Level: 11 Points: 6,241, Level: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by y0ssarianlives View Post
for most of the endo-substances the body produces that you mentioned there is some kind of "anti-depressent"/chemical fix, e.g. ssri, snri etc etc.
does such thing exist for endorphines?
Old 24-06-2009, 02:16
Silver Member

Male from United States
Euthanatos93420 really adds to the discussion.Euthanatos93420 really adds to the discussion.Euthanatos93420 really adds to the discussion.Euthanatos93420 really adds to the discussion.Euthanatos93420 really adds to the discussion.Euthanatos93420 really adds to the discussion.Euthanatos93420 really adds to the discussion.
Points: 329, Level: 2 Points: 329, Level: 2 Points: 329, Level: 2

I saw the edit...but what's left still seems like good advice and the negative rep is rather misleading. I really asked the question not to disagree with the rep but to find out why it's bad advice when it sounds good in theory
Old 24-06-2009, 03:25
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Khan View Post
Just want to comment that there seems to be a lot of good advice on this thread as well as a couple of good theories. Swim would be happy to hear a story from someone who successfully overcame serious opiate addiction but discovered after a long period of sobriety that a small maintenance dose for the purpose of 'righting the ship' was actually a positive experience which led to improved functioning and happiness.

UniBlack hasn't posted in about a month, so we send out an instant Kharma to Uni and pray him peace & well-being wherever he is.

I thAnk you guys so much for All of the feedbAck . & so much
mAster KhAn for the khArm & prAyer. I would like to shAre some of my new experiences with you guy's. The wAter isnt deep so there is no need to swim here. I've found thAt one multi-vitAmin & A teAspoon of krAtom twice A dAy keeps me feeling normAl. Im not As tired,my energy is there,my mood doesnt constAntly shift,& the Aches & pAins hAve subsided. I've used this method for somewhAt of seven,eight months now & it hAs worked like A God send.Just something I mAde up to try on my own & it workd for me. I Am AwAre of the mu receptor binding properties of krAtom,so it tends to hAve the sAme opiAte like potentiAl for tolerAnce. However the opiAte effects of krAtom Are experienced in much higher doses Around 7-8 grms whereAs A teAspoon is equAl to Approx.2grms. This hAs worked so greAt for me thAt I 've recently obtAined my AA in fitness&nutrition & hAve become A personAl trAiner. But im still AfrAid this is to good to be true. I use this As A minimAl type mAintenAnce regimen & it helps me function properly. Does Anyone hAve Any input. Now I jump in the pool.........Remember SWIM wAs once A $300 A dAy Heroin & CocAine Addict for 12yrs. Swim hAs been off the H & C for A little over 3yrs. SWIM hAs come such A long wAy for whAtever it's worth. Where SWIM is from there is some of the purest H in the nAtion. ReAlly bAd withdrAwls(insAnely BAd). Swim went cold turkey & it wAs hell.SWIM couldnt ever imAgine normAlcy. Right now I think think this is As close As it gets. FeedbAck PleAse!! I love you guys!
Old 24-06-2009, 03:54
Banned

36 y/o Male
miggeth needs to UTFSE some more before posting.

It took swim 3 months to feel back to normal last time, well about 90% normal anyway, another three and he'd probably have been back to 100%. He started using again though as he felt it was worth it.
Old 24-06-2009, 12:45
Silver Member

53 y/o Male
oxynomo is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 138, Level: 1 Points: 138, Level: 1 Points: 138, Level: 1

Right now swims almost at 6 months clean and probably still needs more time before normalcy arrives.In the past week or so the occasional chills swim would get have finally stopped.Swim just hopes he knows when he is normal.
Old 28-06-2009, 12:38
Platinum Member & Advisor

Female from United Kingdom
missparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 14,963, Level: 17 Points: 14,963, Level: 17 Points: 14,963, Level: 17
Activity: 16.6% Activity: 16.6% Activity: 16.6%

Swim has childhood trauma that caused a breakdown at 11. A doctor put swim on valium and by 12 swim was boozing, 13 mainlining heroin.
At 40 it was time to try or die to come off.
The last 15yrs have been hard for swim, the occasionalrelapse occured along the way, but with supportive family and friends swim is still clean.
It get easier the more time passes.
Swim didn't get addicted in a year so doesn't expect to unlearn all of the addicted behaviour in ayear.
With time swim found that it's possible to re-educate herself.
But swim will always be grateful to substances.
They were a coping tool that swim used to get her to the point where she could quit. If it hadn't been for heroin, swim would have taken her life years ago.
Unfortunately not everyone is so fortunate.
Hang in there, it does get better.
Old 13-07-2009, 16:39
Palladium Member

Male from Earth
kasbeq really adds to the discussion.kasbeq really adds to the discussion.kasbeq really adds to the discussion.kasbeq really adds to the discussion.kasbeq really adds to the discussion.kasbeq really adds to the discussion.
Points: 909, Level: 4 Points: 909, Level: 4 Points: 909, Level: 4

This is an old post but swim feels the need to add to it
swim has often asked himself self many times -why does swim feel this way
swim has been on heroin for several years and on methadone for a couple. swim stopped and was drugfree for at least 4 years but unfortunately never been able to fully recover. Swim was diagnosed with chronic depression but no therapy has ever helped me. Recently swim started taking opiate prescriptions occasionally and immediately felt normal . Now swim’s almost convinced that swim does not suffer from depression at all ,but swim has probably never been able to completely recover from his addiction . If that is the case then what does swim do about it – how do you fight something that you cannot see

Thanks for your heart-felt honesty!
Old 13-07-2009, 17:05
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasbeq View Post
This is an old post but swim feels the need to add to it
swim has often asked himself self many times -why does swim feel this way
swim has been on heroin for several years and on methadone for a couple. swim stopped and was drugfree for at least 4 years but unfortunately never been able to fully recover. Swim was diagnosed with chronic depression but no therapy has ever helped me. Recently swim started taking opiate prescriptions occasionally and immediately felt normal . Now swim’s almost convinced that swim does not suffer from depression at all ,but swim has probably never been able to completely recover from his addiction . If that is the case then what does swim do about it – how do you fight something that you cannot see

Hello Kasbek, It was me who originally posted this topic a long time ago. & gosh SWIM wishes so much SWIM could answer this question,but as of now SWIM is still in the same boat as SWIY. SWIM also was a Heroin addict but for many more years than you,over 10 years.& although SWIM has been off of heroin & cocaine for roughly 3 yrs.now SWIM still uses opiate based products to "feel normal.SWIM went for over a year pushing thru without them but it was hell.SWIM felt like SWIM was never,ever,ever comfortable within SWIMs own skin. Depressed,lack of energy,no motovation,never happy,insomnia,always extra tired,no desire to do anything.However after a few pills or spoonful of kratom,not to get high! but just to feel adequate SWIM was fine. SWIMs body will just NOT function properly without it. I tried to wait out the PaWS but to no avail. I JUST DID NOT FEEL BETTER.The occasional maintenance doses SWIM uses are NEVER to get "high". Just to feel normal.It does not intefere with SWIMs life.SWIM works now,owns 2 vehichles & condo,SWIM fuctions just find now.SWIM does what works for SWIM,& this is what works for SWIM.

Share this on:

Tags
feelings when quitting drugs, opiate addiction, opiate withdrawal, recovery and emotions, snorting drugs, withdrawals