Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Alcohol
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Alcohol Alcohol, including absinthe, hard liquor, beer, wine, and other assorted spirits.

Old 26-02-2005, 05:26

Male
godismdma should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Points: 243, Level: 2 Points: 243, Level: 2 Points: 243, Level: 2
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Converting rubbing alcohol to drinking alcohol?

this may be a dumb question but, I have had people tell me you can make rubbing alcohol into drinking alcohol. Is this possible and if so how?????

Post Quality Evaluations:
Please don't use SWIY or SWIM. The use is discouraged due to a lack of protection against self-incrimination.
Old 26-02-2005, 22:03
Silver Member

MINUS is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 51, Level: 1 Points: 51, Level: 1 Points: 51, Level: 1
your right it is a dumb question. I dont know if you can change it, i don't think you can. But why would you want to? (the outcome probably wouldn't be worth the process.just buy a pint of cheap vodka!)Plus if you are really desperate you can drink rubbing alcohol to get drunk, but you'll probably puke, and you'll fell sick for a while, so don't do it. TRUST ME! Edited by: MINUS
Old 06-03-2005, 04:52
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Female from United Kingdom
Muirner is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 324, Level: 2 Points: 324, Level: 2 Points: 324, Level: 2

There are true alcoholics that will drink anything from mouthwash to rubbing alcohol to get drunk. I wouldnt advise it because if it was ment to get drunk off of it'd be sold in a liquer store not in your average store. I think that it'd fuck up your stomach to drink rubbing alcohol or mouthwash. hell i think u'd puke far before u got drunk but that is just SWIMS opinion

MuirnerEdited by: Muirner
Old 07-03-2005, 00:03

Male
godismdma should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Points: 243, Level: 2 Points: 243, Level: 2 Points: 243, Level: 2
I really don't drink much anymore, just on the week ends I just wanted to know if was chemically possible to make it drinkable. Concidering the molecular structure is ether and water?!?!?!?
Old 07-03-2005, 12:54
Phungushead Phungushead is nu online
Twisted Depiction
Super Moderator

Male from United States
Phungushead is a true resource and beyond reputePhungushead is a true resource and beyond reputePhungushead is a true resource and beyond reputePhungushead is a true resource and beyond reputePhungushead is a true resource and beyond reputePhungushead is a true resource and beyond reputePhungushead is a true resource and beyond reputePhungushead is a true resource and beyond reputePhungushead is a true resource and beyond reputePhungushead is a true resource and beyond reputePhungushead is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 22,974, Level: 21 Points: 22,974, Level: 21 Points: 22,974, Level: 21
Activity: 17.3% Activity: 17.3% Activity: 17.3%
Well, first, we know that drinking alcohol is ethanol.

Many rubbing alcohols are denatured = chemicals have been added to the ethanol make them unsuitable for drinking. Either they taste like crap or they're poisonous. A commonly used denaturant causes blindness.

A lot of rubbing alcohols don't even contain ethanol, and therefore it would be useless/dangerous to try to consume them.

I don't think it would be worth it to try.

Important reminder about what the denaturing process introduces.

Last edited by Phungushead; 13-02-2014 at 07:23. Reason: old post, fixing formatting issues from migration.
Old 23-11-2013, 09:22
Pharfromsober Pharfromsober is nu online
Titanium Member

32 y/o Male from USA - Indiana
Pharfromsober really adds to the discussion.Pharfromsober really adds to the discussion.Pharfromsober really adds to the discussion.Pharfromsober really adds to the discussion.Pharfromsober really adds to the discussion.Pharfromsober really adds to the discussion.
Points: 711, Level: 4 Points: 711, Level: 4 Points: 711, Level: 4
Activity: 18.0% Activity: 18.0% Activity: 18.0%
Re: Can SWIY convert rubbing alcohol to drinking alcohol?

You should not consume isopropyl alcohol, this is seriously dangerous. Just Google the MSDS for it. This is a seriously stupid idea, it will get someone killed.

I work in a print shop. I use pure isopropyl daily as a solvent. I am well aware of its hazards. In very small amounts its more or less harmless. When consumed in large amounts its poison.
Old 26-11-2013, 11:26
Silver Member

26 y/o Male from United States
BreezeByTheCreek is a decent psychonaut.BreezeByTheCreek is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 146, Level: 1 Points: 146, Level: 1 Points: 146, Level: 1
Activity: 3.3% Activity: 3.3% Activity: 3.3%

C=OH -> Methanol (should be a triple bond)

C=C-OH -> Ethanol

- C
C - C - OH -> Isopropyl Alcohol
- C

Only one of the chemical structures here is (relatively) safe for human consumption, the other two have different carbon structures and are poison. Converting between alcohols would be hard as fuck to do, forming or breaking covalent carbon bonds, and then risk putting that in your system hoping it's a pure product. Unless you have a degree in Organic Chemistry (which you don't cause you are asking this question), don't fucking do it. Just splurge the few extra dollars to upgrade to the handle of cheap bottom-shelf vodka and run it through a Brita filter a few times.

Last edited by BreezeByTheCreek; 05-12-2013 at 08:54.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:45

27 y/o Male from United Kingdom
Totse should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.

I think what the OP was asking is can he use distillation or another method to convert ETHYL rubbing alcohol to a drinkable form, not isopropyl. Is there a way to make denatured alcohol suitable for injestion? I'm pretty sure rubbing alcohol is denatured by way of a bitterant instead of menthol, because menthol can't be used in any product for human consumption, even topical doses.

Would you be able to get pure ethanol from distillation, or maybe some other method?
Old 12-02-2014, 22:20
Mercury Member

19 y/o Female from USA - New York
lovethatdrug needs to UTFSE some more before posting.

I used to drink and inject rubbing alcohol and I haven't had any problems. I think there is a law that only allows companies to denature it a certain amount so alcoholics aren't harmed if they drink it.
mouthwash or rubbing alcohol enough to harm you or at all because alcoholics might drink it and sue them.

lovethatdrug added 2 Minutes and 18 Seconds later...

Mouthwash and rubbing alcohol aren't denatured enough to harm you because companies can get sued. I used to drink both of them everyday.

Dangerous trolling. Your claims to have injected rubbing alcohol lack any credibility.
Seriously bad advice, isopropyl alcohol is not safe for human consumption period. This has already been covered in this thread.
terrible advice, rubbing alcohol is NOT safe to drink, let alone inject

Last edited by lovethatdrug; 12-02-2014 at 22:20. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-02-2014, 22:27
Silver Member

Male from United States
seaturtle must live here.seaturtle must live here.seaturtle must live here.seaturtle must live here.seaturtle must live here.seaturtle must live here.seaturtle must live here.
Points: 1,373, Level: 5 Points: 1,373, Level: 5 Points: 1,373, Level: 5
Activity: 10.3% Activity: 10.3% Activity: 10.3%
Re: Converting rubbing alcohol to drinking alcohol?

I don't understand why people do this, cheap vodka is less expensive than rubbing alcohol and mouthwash, and obviously cheap vodka is way safer. The only reason for resulting to rubbing alcohol or mouthwash would be if someone is under age or banned from drinking alcohol by their family, and in either case they should not be drinking.

If someone resorts to drinking rubbing alcohol or mouthwash they need rehab immediately, before they destroy their bodies further.
Old 13-02-2014, 05:28
Pharfromsober Pharfromsober is nu online
Titanium Member

32 y/o Male from USA - Indiana
Pharfromsober really adds to the discussion.Pharfromsober really adds to the discussion.Pharfromsober really adds to the discussion.Pharfromsober really adds to the discussion.Pharfromsober really adds to the discussion.Pharfromsober really adds to the discussion.
Points: 711, Level: 4 Points: 711, Level: 4 Points: 711, Level: 4
Activity: 18.0% Activity: 18.0% Activity: 18.0%

Lovethatdrug, it has already been covered a number of times in this thread why isopropyl alcohol is not safe for ingestion. You are helping to perpetrate a myth that could get people killed.

Just because you have done something and turned out OK, does not mean its safe. This has nothing to do with alcohol being denatured or not. Ethanol and isopropyl are two different kinds of alcohol, and only one is safe(relatively) to drink and it isn't isopropyl.
Old 14-02-2014, 01:41
Silver Member

26 y/o Male from Canada
Nosferatus is a decent psychonaut.Nosferatus is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 301, Level: 2 Points: 301, Level: 2 Points: 301, Level: 2
Activity: 41.8% Activity: 41.8% Activity: 41.8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by godismdma View Post
this may be a dumb question but, I have had people tell me you can make rubbing alcohol into drinking alcohol. Is this possible and if so how?????
It is possible to make DENATURED alcohol, that is ethanol for industrial purposes that has additives that make it not readily drinkable, relatively safe to consume. Rubbing alcohol, however, is 100% isopropyl alcohol, which is 110% toxic to humans, and cannot be made anything but that, it's quite chemically distinct from ethanol, and it would be a foolish person who would attempt to consume it under any circumstances. I really don't even understand why one would even be inclined to try this, there are brands of purpose made drinking alcohol that are in fact cheaper than isopropyl.
Old 15-02-2014, 15:49
Silver Member

28 y/o Male from United States
zedletter is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 162, Level: 2 Points: 162, Level: 2 Points: 162, Level: 2
Activity: 1.7% Activity: 1.7% Activity: 1.7%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muirner View Post
There are true alcoholics that will drink anything from mouthwash to rubbing alcohol to get drunk. I wouldnt advise it because if it was ment to get drunk off of it'd be sold in a liquer store not in your average store. I think that it'd fuck up your stomach to drink rubbing alcohol or mouthwash. hell i think u'd puke far before u got drunk but that is just SWIMS opinion

MuirnerEdited by: Muirner
Drinking mouthwash isn't that bad when you're broke as hell. It's 54 proof ETHANOL, and none of the other ingredients are that harmful. I don't reccommend drinking it, but when people say you can't get drunk off of listerine, they are wrong.

Off topic, descibing questionable and likely harmful activities
Old 15-02-2014, 22:03
Titanium Member

Male from United States
Hockeydemon is on the way upHockeydemon is on the way upHockeydemon is on the way upHockeydemon is on the way up
Points: 403, Level: 3 Points: 403, Level: 3 Points: 403, Level: 3
Activity: 4.2% Activity: 4.2% Activity: 4.2%

You can renature alcohol that has been denatured, but it is more work that it is worth which is the whole purpose of denaturing alcohol. All of the additives have different boiling points so you could distill off the different additives, but the boiling points are similar to one another intentionally so you would need to perform an azeotropic distillation - most likely under vacuum. Not something your average household is able to do.

You can synthesize ethanol easier than you can renature alcohol..

Share this on:

Tags
bad ideas, denatured alcohol, isopropanol, rubbing alcohol