Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Opiates & Opioids > Heroin
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 13-05-2008, 18:58
Silver Member

47 y/o Male from USA - California
beentheredonethatagain must think in IUPACbeentheredonethatagain must think in IUPACbeentheredonethatagain must think in IUPACbeentheredonethatagain must think in IUPACbeentheredonethatagain must think in IUPACbeentheredonethatagain must think in IUPACbeentheredonethatagain must think in IUPACbeentheredonethatagain must think in IUPACbeentheredonethatagain must think in IUPACbeentheredonethatagain must think in IUPACbeentheredonethatagain must think in IUPAC
Points: 7,447, Level: 12 Points: 7,447, Level: 12 Points: 7,447, Level: 12
Activity: 4.4% Activity: 4.4% Activity: 4.4%
skin popping

I remember in science class way back when beenthere was a student.
We were taught that people would skin pop heroin. Inject the drug just under the skin and not into a vein. like a miss but deliberate

Is this still going on or was that just B.S. from the school district.
Old 13-05-2008, 21:59
Platinum Member & Advisor

Male from Earth
Expat98 must mainline MedlineExpat98 must mainline MedlineExpat98 must mainline MedlineExpat98 must mainline MedlineExpat98 must mainline MedlineExpat98 must mainline MedlineExpat98 must mainline MedlineExpat98 must mainline MedlineExpat98 must mainline MedlineExpat98 must mainline MedlineExpat98 must mainline Medline
Points: 4,440, Level: 9 Points: 4,440, Level: 9 Points: 4,440, Level: 9
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: skin popping

Check out the poll in this thread:

Heroin - Route of Administration

Not common, but it looks like a few people enjoy this method.

SWIM always heard that you're running a pretty big risk of infection with skin popping (subcutaneous injection).

I'm currently reading Speed Tribes: Days and Nights with Japan's Next Generation by Karl Taro Greenfeld, a collection of stories about the Japanese underground (good book). In one of the stories a guy skin-pops some shabu (methamphetamine)....but it is a pharmaceutical grade ampule, so the risk of infection or skin abscess is a lot less than for street drugs.

EDIT: Hmm, I just looked at the thread I linked to. I think the following warning from there is worth repeating in this thread:

Quote:
Skin Popping is injecting into the tissue just under the skin. Drugs are absorbed much slower (5-15 mins) which gives the mixture more time to cause damage at the injection site and increases the chance of serious infection. 'Missed hits' can cause similar problems.

SWIM developed an abscess (cellulitis) on her upper arm after skin popping heroin. It was 3 days later when SWIM finally went to the hospital as the pain became unbearable and SWIM’s arm looked like Popeye’s by this stage. (There was no skin infection, not even a mark showing the injection site.) The doctor told her if she had waited another day she would most likely have gotten blood poisoning and died. He also told her that it most likely developed due to contaminated heroin or due to a particle of something being on the tip of her needle (SWIM was not using a new needle – STRESSING the need for using a new fit EVERY time!) SWIM was put on an antibiotic drip hoping that this would reduce the infection but this did not work and within 24 hours SWIM was having surgery to remove it. Surgery took over 2 hours and the surgeon said the abscess was the size of a baseball. Afterwards a tube was left in her arm for 3 days to drip out the last of the infection. The doctors also told her that the “safer” (NOT SAFE) way to skin pop was to inject mix into the softer or fatty tissue rather than into muscle or harder tissue.

Last edited by Expat98; 13-05-2008 at 22:27.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:05
Silver Member

Male from United States
Zilker_Park is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 49, Level: 1 Points: 49, Level: 1 Points: 49, Level: 1
Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4%

SWIM does not recommend injection of anything although SWIM did it way way back when (IV). Let SWIM tell you that SWIM knows 100% that skin popping is pure stupidity. Why in the hell would anyone in their right mind stick a needle in their arm w/o hitting a vein in the process. That is unless SWIY is seeking an abscess (localized collection of inflamed pus) at the injection site. Then to be lanced by a doctor after going through a modest amount of pain due to the infection where the pus is under the skin. If SWIY has some pure pharmaceutical grade something or other that is made for Sub Q (skin popping) use then knock SWIY out. Be careful out there

Post Quality Evaluations:
Well said. You've explained why you consider this practice to be stupid clearly even if others disagree with your point of view.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:26
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

24 y/o Male from United States
At a CrossRoads is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 144, Level: 1 Points: 144, Level: 1 Points: 144, Level: 1

SWIM had a buddy whos veins were so shot that he would skin-pop only because he couldn't hit a vein. SWIM also saw one time on intervention this homeless man who would scrounge together money for heroin who would also skin-pop. However, the end result was a bunch of abscesses from the infections. As the above SWIMmers posted, it is highly not recommended due to the health risks.

SWIM has done it before (when his parents kept checking his arms) and although it does not give you an intense rush like IVing, it seems to give a longer lasting high. SWIM feels it would be better just to snort since the high is similar, but couldn't help skin-popping because of his needle fixation. Hope this helps!

thanks for sharing the experience, longer lasting but no rush
Old 11-08-2012, 04:49

Female from United States
RadiantRed is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 33, Level: 1 Points: 33, Level: 1 Points: 33, Level: 1
Activity: 3.2% Activity: 3.2% Activity: 3.2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilker_Park View Post
SWIM does not recommend injection of anything although SWIM did it way way back when (IV). Let SWIM tell you that SWIM knows 100% that skin popping is pure stupidity. Why in the hell would anyone in their right mind stick a needle in their arm w/o hitting a vein in the process. That is unless SWIY is seeking an abscess (localized collection of inflamed pus) at the injection site. Then to be lanced by a doctor after going through a modest amount of pain due to the infection where the pus is under the skin. If SWIY has some pure pharmaceutical grade something or other that is made for Sub Q (skin popping) use then knock SWIY out. Be careful out there
sorry but that isn't right at all to say-to say it's pure 'stupidity'. that's a little over the top. You should know that when users run out of veins, they inevitably go to skin popping as another method. SWIM does it this way because SWIM has such trouble getting a vein. Nonetheless using the word stupid is harsh and uncalled for. That's the only way many people do it.

you are correct, the response made by Zpark was too harsh and broad
Old 20-03-2013, 20:35

Male from United States
Sxmac should review received reputation comments.
Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1

I read this shit all over the Internet and my posts r so low on the post it seems like nobody reads Em" SKIN POPPING IS NOT ANYTHING LIKE MISSING A SHOT!!!!! SKIN POPPING IS INJECTING STRAIGHT INTO THE MUSCLE!!!!. IT'S ALSO KNOWN AS MUSCLING IT, SKINNING IT, WHATEVER BUT ITS NOT JUST INJECTING UNDER THE SKIN!!!!!!!!!!!

Stop shouting. Posting in caps is against the rules.
Old 20-03-2013, 20:44
Titanium Member

54 y/o Female from United States
ratgirldjh really adds to the discussion.ratgirldjh really adds to the discussion.ratgirldjh really adds to the discussion.ratgirldjh really adds to the discussion.ratgirldjh really adds to the discussion.ratgirldjh really adds to the discussion.
Points: 482, Level: 3 Points: 482, Level: 3 Points: 482, Level: 3

Please don't do this.

I literally have scars all over my butt and arms from abscesses from using this method. (muscling - here some call it skin popping) Some of them look like gunshot wounds with an 'entrance' and 'exit' scar.

I lost my husband due to complications of an abscess formed from this method as well. He underwent the same operation as the person above and died on the table when some of the infection from the abscess got into his bloodstream.

There are other options. Plugging - it works well and is safer and no need to worry about abscesses. Snorting works pretty good too. And of course smoking it or if you must use needles IV is safer (but not safe of course) IMO. I never got abscesses from successful IV use it was only after I had ruined all my veins that I went to this method.

Great advice and willingness to be open about your husband. It can save a life seeing this.
Old 20-03-2013, 21:56
Silver Member

38 y/o Male from United States
JJ1234 is captain of the psychonauts.JJ1234 is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 286, Level: 2 Points: 286, Level: 2 Points: 286, Level: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sxmac View Post
I read this shit all over the Internet and my posts r so low on the post it seems like nobody reads Em" SKIN POPPING IS NOT ANYTHING LIKE MISSING A SHOT!!!!! SKIN POPPING IS INJECTING STRAIGHT INTO THE MUSCLE!!!!. IT'S ALSO KNOWN AS MUSCLING IT, SKINNING IT, WHATEVER BUT ITS NOT JUST INJECTING UNDER THE SKIN!!!!!!!!!!!

That is wrong. Skin popping is a sub-cutaneous injection made with a half inch or 1 inch needle almost any part of the body that is fatty.

You are referring to intramuscular (IM) injection. This takes at least an inch and a half long needle and must be done on certain parts of the body.

Glad you brought this up though because I was going to ask if similar damage is done with an IM injection. probably but might as well ask to make sure.
Old 25-03-2013, 07:51
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

30 y/o Male from United States
creep3r is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 23, Level: 1 Points: 23, Level: 1 Points: 23, Level: 1
Activity: 1.2% Activity: 1.2% Activity: 1.2%

In my opinion this this is one of the worst roa. More often than not it will lead to a possibly fatal abcess.
Old 25-03-2013, 13:06
Titanium Member

Male from United Kingdom
Solinari really knows their shit.Solinari really knows their shit.Solinari really knows their shit.Solinari really knows their shit.Solinari really knows their shit.Solinari really knows their shit.Solinari really knows their shit.Solinari really knows their shit.Solinari really knows their shit.
Points: 1,493, Level: 5 Points: 1,493, Level: 5 Points: 1,493, Level: 5
Activity: 1.1% Activity: 1.1% Activity: 1.1%

It's completely the worst Route of Administration, it makes me think of that image I found on Google Images with a black tar related search (can't see it now) with a dudes arm completely covered in horrible lumps and bumps.

I don't understand anyone who would do this, I don't see the appeal in it at all compared to muscle popping (IM) which is surprisingly effective but also a very bad idea with anything that isn't pharmaceutically prepared made for injection sterile drug. Skin Popping (Subcutaneous) and Muscle Popping (Intramuscular) are the worst ways to go and will inevitably lead to infection and multiple abscesses that if untreated can and do lead to amputation or serious soft tissue damage, nerve damage and ultimately loss of function and disability.
Old 25-03-2013, 18:23
Titanium Member

25 y/o Male from USA - Kentucky
Moving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond repute

I don't know if skin popping is actually done SubQ by most people. Everyone I've seen do it actually injects it into the muscle, like a diabetic giving themself insulin. I know with a subq shot (like a TB test), the needle is inserted at like an almost flat angle and injected and it bubbles up under your skin. That's just dumb. IM injection is called popping or muscling among junkies. Not many people I know do it but I've done it several times. The person who I was getting it from, this was how she used her dope. I've found that there is no point in doing it though because you get the same effect as snorting it.

I've heard it's fairly common with tar users who either spent their veins or who don't want to IV but regard smoking as a waste. Tar is just nasty in and of itself. It's certainly not something that should be allowed to sit under the skin. When i did it, I did it with powder heroin that disolved cleanly. Tar is much dirtier.

I've asked old users about the practice and supposedly it's done to make the dope "last longer". Like you'd do an IV shot and the pop a little to make the high last longer. Also in the old days, the heroin was so cut and impure, that people would only inject it because snorting was seen as a waste. Users who didn't want to go all the way to IV would pop it instead. Also what I mentioned with tar.

Generally a bad idea.
Old 25-03-2013, 18:42
Titanium Member

54 y/o Female from United States
ratgirldjh really adds to the discussion.ratgirldjh really adds to the discussion.ratgirldjh really adds to the discussion.ratgirldjh really adds to the discussion.ratgirldjh really adds to the discussion.ratgirldjh really adds to the discussion.
Points: 482, Level: 3 Points: 482, Level: 3 Points: 482, Level: 3

Moving Pictures - I'm a diabetic and use insulin. I do not inject into muscle. What I do is to pinch a bit of skin up between my fingers and inject the insulin into the layer of fat (hopefully there is some lol) underneath my skin. If I hit muscle then I end up with a huge bruise and it hurts a lot. I use the shortest needles I can get for this because I don't have much fat.

There is NO little bubble visible - the insulin goes into the fat underneath the skin and is released slowly or quickly depending on which insulin I'm injecting. All of the insulins I have used have required this same technique. And if done properly you can not even see or feel the injection site even immediately after injection and you can even do it through your clothing after you get the technique down

Here I have never seen anyone inject any type of drug in this manner. Insulin is sterile and still I've had a few problems over the years with nasty bruises and depending on the insulin - skin lumps.

Here most heroin users who run out of veins do IM. The 'smart' ones even get special long thicker needles to do it in deep muscle tissue.

Personally I think that IM is the worst ROA for this drug especially tar. You have no way of knowing what kind of bacteria, chemicals, plant material, etc. that you are putting into your muscle to perhaps fester.

I have very bad scars all over my body from using this method years ago when I was a daily heroin user and had run out of veins. These scars never go away.

Not to mention I lost my husband to an abcess in a deep muscle that didn't show up til several months after we had both gotten clean.

Yeah

ETA: I do not condone using heroin when you are a diabetic. Be safe.
Old 01-04-2013, 21:42

46 y/o Male from United States
jimmypins should review received reputation comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sxmac View Post
skin popping or sub-q injections are no where near close to pinning into a muscle.not even close to it.you're pinning between the layers of skin and fat,that's it.i've pinned steroids for problly longer than you've been around and know what an IM shot is like using a 23g 1.1/4" pin and sub-q'ing something like helios,Hcg,hgh,igf-des,fragmented hgh,ghrp-6 and so on.even with steroids,i know i know-(totally different animal) pinning gear meant for sub-q injections like insulin hit much faster and last longer if pinned IM fashion,hitting the multitude of smaller blood vessels and directly into the bloodstream via the muscle fascia itself.

Soooo with that,pinning sub-q,IM or directly into a main line such as an artery or vein is a hy-yoooge difference.i've pinned H IM and felt it kick in just as much as if i mainlined it.a tad bit slower for the onset feeling and not direct as IV it still is better than skin popping it anyday.the only reason most people can't hit H IM style is cause most if not all of us,in the states anyway,use 5/8" to 1/2" 29-30g .5cc-1cc insulin pins which will not go deep enuff to hit the belly of the muscle...unless you're extremely lean at around 2-3% bodyfat and have that "onion skin" look where your muscle fibers are clearly seen thru the skin itself.just a little "good to know useless facts" i've accrued over the years.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:23
Silver Member

38 y/o Male from United States
JJ1234 is captain of the psychonauts.JJ1234 is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 286, Level: 2 Points: 286, Level: 2 Points: 286, Level: 2

I hope this isn't too far off-topic but I recently IM'd some morphine sulfate pills(bad I know) and also mainlined them. Filtering was crude and stupid but solution was not heated. I had a tolerance from about 60-80mg hydrocodone a day for a week or so. Anyway just placed 33mg~(1/3 pill) ground up with about 1 cc cold water. Mixed and filtered through cotton into a 21 gauge(ouch, LOL) 1.5 inch needle into a 3ml barrel. Got about .5 ml into syringe and injected into ass muscle(sorry not looking up proper name). Within 10 minutes go full effect. Injection point was no more than a mosquito bite. Three days later all is good. JUST TO BE CLEAR I THINK I WAS LUCKY AND THIS ISN"T THE NORM!

Anyway I did same with about same amount only filtered better and used a 1ml/100 unit 27 gauge needle and mainlined it. Never shot heroin or any opiate for that matter and let's just say WOW! I know shooting pills is stupid but holy shit what an experience!

Also IM'd the same as above 3 more times and no ill effects. My only experience with morphine before was oral and snorting and those both suck ass compared to both!

On-topic: Does anyone think IMing or skin popping pills would be any safer than street dope or perhaps worse? I am talking if one uses a .2 micron wheel filter and not be all crude like me.

Also I don't suggest anyone do as I have. It was stupid and I feel lucky to have got through this with no harm(as of yet).

If anyone is truly thinking of IM instead of sub-q get at least a one inch needle(I prefer 1.5) and search the web for proper places to inject. I have never done this with heroin or any "street drugs." However I have done this at least 50 times with MXE. Not saying it's safe, but it is done.

Share this on:

Tags
injecting heroin, shooting heroin, skin popping, subcutaneous injection