Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Downers and sleeping pills
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Downers and sleeping pills Anxiety Meds, Sleeping Pills and Skeletal Muscle Relaxants

Old 09-05-2008, 22:26

Male
JJx23 should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Ambien along with my pain pills.

I went back to my pain management doctor today to get a refill on my medication. My doctor prescribed me Ambien for my sleep issues, since I wake up in the middle of the night due to the pain in my foot. Anyhow, I will try it tonight and see how it works out. I have heard good things about Ambien though. I take Percocet 10 mg, 1 to 2 every four hours, so we'll see how they both react with each other. My doctor told me it wouldn't be bad to mix them, but obviously one with probably enhance the other.

Regards.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:57

Male
Re: Ambien along with my pain pills.

Wow. I have heard similar stories about Ambien, but I wouldn't be taking two of them, I would be taking one before bedtime so I could get a full night of sleep. The Percocet handles the pain and the Ambien handles my sleep, so when the Percocet wears off, the Ambien will hopefully keep me asleep, so I don't wake up to take another one, because then I am very groggy and I like getting a good night sleep. I mean, my doctor wouldn't have prescribed it if it wasn't good, right?

I mean I know people who mix Xanax with Ambien, but after all they are very similar I believe.

Regards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by betsym View Post
2 Ambien caused swim's hubby to hallucinate and walk around naked in front of people. He was sleepwalking and talking! He never wanted to take it again. Swim would be careful mixing anything at first and see how swiy is affected. Swim is prescribed Loritab 10mg and Klonipin, which the doctor said was okay to take together but the info that came with the meds said to be careful mixing "depressants", which they both are. Swim would think that Ambien and Percoset might be similar and similar warnings may apply, even with doctor's approval. After all, the doctor didn't expect swim's hubby to go streaking on 2 Ambien!Of course, this incident occured 10 or 15 years ago when Ambien first came out and they may have changed it since then but it's better to be safe than wake up the next day and find out that swiy was sleepwalking in the nude. Swim's hubby said he was having what he thought was a strange dream/nightmare. Swim had to call the paramedics and he almost got hauled to the hospital because he was acting like he had a stroke or something.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:29
Gold Member

Male from United States
staples must mainline Medlinestaples must mainline Medlinestaples must mainline Medlinestaples must mainline Medlinestaples must mainline Medlinestaples must mainline Medlinestaples must mainline Medlinestaples must mainline Medlinestaples must mainline Medlinestaples must mainline Medlinestaples must mainline Medline
Points: 3,146, Level: 8 Points: 3,146, Level: 8 Points: 3,146, Level: 8
Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJx23 View Post
I mean, my doctor wouldn't have prescribed it if it wasn't good, right?
The risk is severe pulmonary depression (i.e, breathing becomes too shallow). At prescribed dosages you should be fine, especially if you're already familiar with the percocet.

It's not necessarily good or bad, it's what you need to get some sleep in your current, temporary, condition. Don't try to stay up when taking Ambien, and try to take it as the last thing before getting into bed because it kicks in quickly. If you do find that you get up and do stuff in the middle of the night (some people do, even if all they want to do is go to sleep, so I've heard), I would say to just return to the less-convenient method of taking percocet when you wake up in the middle of the night due to pain -- it's not worth risking farther injury or prolonging the healing process.
Old 10-05-2008, 04:03

Male

Right, the reason I was prescribed the Ambien though was so that I don't have to wake up in the middle of the night so that I can waste one Percocet, when I could take it during the day when I am doing my work. It's critical that I am comfortable when doing my work, as I am a writer, and I sit in my office for a couple of hours at a time, leaving my foot stranded, so I need to move it around every now and then. If it stays put, it actually hurts a lot more (not while I am on my meds obviously), but yes, I would love to take the Ambien when I head to bed in a little while. My doctor told me that it kicks in within 15 minutes, and once it kicks in, I will feel it and my eyes will start to get heavy and I will just fall asleep. He told me it lasts a good 8 hours, so that would be amazing. I also asked him if it would make me drowsy the next day, and he said it's different with each person, so hopefully it doesn't too much, he said to let him know if it does that, but he said Ambien is a great medication and will allow me to feel very comfortable when I jump into bed (not literally seeing I have a bad foot, heh, but you know what I mean =).

Thanks for the advice 'staples'.

Regards.

*When it comes to my medications, I only take prescribed doses, I never ever go overboard with them. I am very responsible when it comes to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by staples View Post
The risk is severe pulmonary depression (i.e, breathing becomes too shallow). At prescribed dosages you should be fine, especially if you're already familiar with the percocet.

It's not necessarily good or bad, it's what you need to get some sleep in your current, temporary, condition. Don't try to stay up when taking Ambien, and try to take it as the last thing before getting into bed because it kicks in quickly. If you do find that you get up and do stuff in the middle of the night (some people do, even if all they want to do is go to sleep, so I've heard), I would say to just return to the less-convenient method of taking percocet when you wake up in the middle of the night due to pain -- it's not worth risking farther injury or prolonging the healing process.

Share this on:

Tags
ambien, narcotic, oxycodone, percocet