Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Kratom Mitragyna speciosa

Old 20-03-2008, 16:29

29 y/o Male
skylined is an unknown quantity at this point
kratom and sore throat

Does anyone experience this? SWIM has had ongoing throat issues that come and go, and they noticed it the other morning after drinking kratom tea... SWIM figured it could be from smoking, but realized they hadn't smoked many cigarettes at all that day. It has been a sore feeling similar to a common cold, but they also have this cool, menthol-like feelinig in the back of their throat. SWIM has noticed their mouth and throat get slightly numb when drinking the tea.

SWIM is using about 1-20grams of dried leaves in tea, they don't think it's a bacteria from the source as this should be killed in the boiling water. SWIM has searched online and heard multiple complaints from users, has anyone here experienced anything like this?

Last edited by Electrolingus; 28-01-2010 at 03:37. Reason: To swim
Old 20-03-2008, 16:30

29 y/o Male
Re: kratom and sore throat

The effects came the morning AFTER the night of drinking kratom tea... sorry I can't figure out how to edit.
Old 27-03-2008, 23:20
Gold Member

48 y/o Male from United Kingdom
AceOvArts probably knows what they are talking about.AceOvArts probably knows what they are talking about.AceOvArts probably knows what they are talking about.AceOvArts probably knows what they are talking about.AceOvArts probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 459, Level: 3 Points: 459, Level: 3 Points: 459, Level: 3
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

SWIM never linked these together, SWIM never felt a sore throat from Kratom use and SWIM uses every day, however thats not to seuggest SWIY is wrong. Kratom produces many different effects in people.
Old 29-03-2008, 03:25
Silver Member

Male from United States
AquafinaOrbit is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 71, Level: 1 Points: 71, Level: 1 Points: 71, Level: 1

My friends have never had a soar throat from Kratom, in fact they have never had any lingering effects.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:34

29 y/o Male

SWIM has found that it wasn't kratom, but an allergic reaction from avocado! He noticed the same throat feeling while munching on some fresh avocado at work... tight feeling in throat, and menthol-like feeling while breathing. The throat pain may have been due to a cold.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:53
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Male from Earth
Thirdedge really knows their shit.Thirdedge really knows their shit.Thirdedge really knows their shit.Thirdedge really knows their shit.Thirdedge really knows their shit.Thirdedge really knows their shit.Thirdedge really knows their shit.Thirdedge really knows their shit.Thirdedge really knows their shit.

Swim uses Kratom approx twice a week and has noticed a mildly sore throat during some stage of the experience more times than not lately. It seems to be there for a bit then its gone.

He wonders if it could be from some kind of contaminant in the Kratom.
Old 02-04-2008, 20:00

29 y/o Male

SWIM thinks kratom, like opiates.. effects the immune system. Is SWIY a smoker? SWIM smokes like a chimney on kratom... that combined with a cold cold be the issue.
Old 16-04-2008, 04:02

31 y/o Male
trashbird is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 57, Level: 1 Points: 57, Level: 1 Points: 57, Level: 1

SWIM gets sort of dehydrated with K...or at least mentally feels thirsty...and notices a sore throat pretty regularly when it starts kicking in...just chug lots of water
Old 16-04-2008, 04:33

Male from Earth
Thirdedge really knows their shit.Thirdedge really knows their shit.Thirdedge really knows their shit.Thirdedge really knows their shit.Thirdedge really knows their shit.Thirdedge really knows their shit.Thirdedge really knows their shit.Thirdedge really knows their shit.Thirdedge really knows their shit.

Funnily enough Swim is full of the flu this week and has used Kratom to successfully get rid of the sore throat and many of the other symptoms.
Old 17-04-2008, 01:40
Silver Member

26 y/o Male from United States
killersnowman is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 139, Level: 1 Points: 139, Level: 1 Points: 139, Level: 1
Activity: 0.0% Activity: 0.0% Activity: 0.0%

it is powdered leaf with extra alkaloids added in:

"Finely powdered, it has been carefully standardized and enhanced with a generous helping of ultra-pure Kratom alkaloids - 1250 mg / 25 g - for astonishing potency and convenience. This enhanced leaf has been custom crafted by a well-know vendor using an exacting process developed after months of research."
Old 27-01-2010, 23:33
Silver Member

Male from Netherlands
Panacee is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 96, Level: 1 Points: 96, Level: 1 Points: 96, Level: 1
Activity: 2.7% Activity: 2.7% Activity: 2.7%

I am sorry to reply to such an old thread, but I remembered it was in this forum and my friend is complaining about a sore throat the day after using his kratom. My friend uses kratom about twice a week now for two years. But the hangovers seem to worsen. Part of it might be due to the increased dose, but that is stable for months now.
Lately he noticed a sore throat every time he used kratom. He uses a combination of powder and tea. It is for weeks now after each use, and it has nothing to do with a cold or something. The sore throat dissapeares in a day (after the next sleep). But one time it was bothering him for three days in a row, he tought it would be a cold, but he is sure it wasn't.
He noticed that especially the powder hangs around in his throat for a while, and that this might be the cause, so last three times he flushed his throat after ingesting the powder, and drinking some water. He noticed a decrease in sore throat the next day. But it was still there.

My friend wonders if it really is the powder left in his throat. Because that would say something about the grams he has in his intestines. And he also wonders why it never bothered him, and now suddenly it does. He is already cutting down in his kratom use because he doesn't feel like walking around with such a throat all day.
He also suggested it might be the vendor, so the next batch will be from another vendor, so he can compare.

Anyone has advice on this or remarks, it would be more than welcome!!
Old 30-01-2010, 17:43
Silver Member

34 y/o Female from United States
arizona79 is a decent psychonaut.

My ferret experiences a sore throat sometimes, but it's generally from the powder being swallowed poorly and it scraping along the throat tissues. Could this be the case?
Old 31-01-2010, 11:23
Silver Member

Male from Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizona79 View Post
My ferret experiences a sore throat sometimes, but it's generally from the powder being swallowed poorly and it scraping along the throat tissues. Could this be the case?
No, my friend says it is unlikely it is the scraping. Some foodparticles he swallows are bigger and sharper and also stick around in his throat sometimes. He suspects the powder particles irritate his throat chemically (something that diffuses out of the particles in his throat). Then flushing quickly after swallowing will help.

But of course it is hard to know which is true.
Old 31-01-2010, 20:39

Male from Earth

Perhaps the sore throat is caused not by Kratom, but by other Sth East Asian floor scrapings, eg: Birdshit?

Swim has not found this problem on newer batches, so has put it down to a bad or contaminated batch.
Old 02-02-2010, 16:11
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panacee View Post
No, my friend says it is unlikely it is the scraping. Some foodparticles he swallows are bigger and sharper and also stick around in his throat sometimes. He suspects the powder particles irritate his throat chemically (something that diffuses out of the particles in his throat). Then flushing quickly after swallowing will help.

But of course it is hard to know which is true.
My ferret supposed her post was kinda silly and would have been quite obvious to your friend, but she said it couldn't hurt to mention. Silly ferret.
Old 02-02-2010, 23:05
Silver Member

Male from Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirdedge View Post
Perhaps the sore throat is caused not by Kratom, but by other Sth East Asian floor scrapings, eg: Birdshit?

Swim has not found this problem on newer batches, so has put it down to a bad or contaminated batch.
So Swiy has experienced it on older batches?

The batch my friend is on lately is a batch that he received a few months ago. It was a pretty big amount in a ziplock-bag that is opened a lot.

My friend also has a newer batch waiting for the old one to be finished. I will advice him to try the new batch to see if it makes a difference. I will keep you guys informed about this.

You think that there might be birdshit in kratom?? It must have been a shitload then to cause this much problems in my friends poor throat.

Last edited by Panacee; 02-02-2010 at 23:06. Reason: Mistyping
Old 04-02-2010, 03:41
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panacee View Post
You think that there might be birdshit in kratom?? It must have been a shitload then to cause this much problems in my friends poor throat.
It totally makes sense. *cries*
Old 10-02-2010, 06:19

24 y/o Male from United States
borkz is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1

swim uses kratom a couple of times a month, and also doesnt experience this correlation. swim gets soar throats, but not when swim had taken kratom. swim think theyre do to living in a dorm with dry air and many other people.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:10
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkz View Post
swim uses kratom a couple of times a month, and also doesnt experience this correlation. swim gets soar throats, but not when swim had taken kratom. swim think theyre do to living in a dorm with dry air and many other people.
Oh interesting. My ferret recommends an air humidifier.
Old 23-09-2010, 20:46
Banned

30 y/o Male from Afghanistan
savant idiot is captain of the psychonauts.savant idiot is captain of the psychonauts.

Alfa has noticed this recently. He says that previously he had put it down to smoking, but he recently quit, and noticed that his throat problems still flare up after the injestion of kratom.

He's starting to think that guzzling grainy gritty clumpy powder might not be so great for the throat. He tried smoking again and funnily enough it didn't really add to the irritation.

Share this on:

Tags
health risks from kratom use, kratom, kratom tea, kratom use, kratom withdrawal, tea, withdrawal

Sitelinks: Information: