Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Various drugs not covered by other forums > Deliriant antihistamines
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Deliriant antihistamines Diphenhydramine, cyclizine and other antihistamines.

Old 27-01-2005, 01:21

33 y/o Male
mynameisshaun should review received reputation comments.
Points: 123, Level: 1 Points: 123, Level: 1 Points: 123, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Chlorpheniramine

I recently got prescribed 120 TEAspoon bottle of Histussin. I read that
it contains Chlorpheniramine Maleate as an active ingredient... Im
wondering if this is like DXM and how much of it i would have to drink
to start tripping out... I usually drink a 10 oz of DXM when i want to
trip, just to let you know.

thank you,

shaun

</font>

Post Quality Evaluations:
no self-incrimination, please!
Old 27-01-2005, 02:22
Silver Member

Male
Curtains is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 582, Level: 3 Points: 582, Level: 3 Points: 582, Level: 3

Know how we tell people not to take Coricidin becuase its dangerous well thats becuase the other active ingredent in it is 4mg of Chlorpheniramine Maleate...... general is very dangerous to take in large doses with dextromethorphan. chlorpheniramine maleate is also metabolized by the same liver enzyme as is DXM. Which causes a competition for this limited enzyme by the two drugs

ADVISE: use as directed not recreational becuase basicly all u got there is Coricidin, and we all no not to take CCC's
Old 27-01-2005, 02:25
Platinum Member & Advisor

Male from Earth
RoboCop is on the way upRoboCop is on the way upRoboCop is on the way upRoboCop is on the way up
Points: 2,192, Level: 7 Points: 2,192, Level: 7 Points: 2,192, Level: 7
NO do not drink that, it is not like dxm. That is the most dangerous chemical in all of cough syrups. It can cause heart problems, seizures, bleeding from just about every oraphace you can think of, liver damage, and fatalities. That is the last thing you want to drink. If you want to experiment with dxm go to your local store and pick up some tussin cough, dxm only.
Old 27-01-2005, 03:58
Gold Member

club222 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 489, Level: 3 Points: 489, Level: 3 Points: 489, Level: 3
Don't drink it.
Old 27-01-2005, 19:54

33 y/o Male
mynameisshaun should review received reputation comments.
Points: 123, Level: 1 Points: 123, Level: 1 Points: 123, Level: 1
well, im probably going to, just to see what exactly it does, sorry for
being stubborn.. im gonna drink half, and then wait an hour or 2, if nothing happends, i'll just drink normal doses from then on

Old 27-01-2005, 20:34
Gold Member

Male from United States
HippieD9 is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 911, Level: 4 Points: 911, Level: 4 Points: 911, Level: 4

Are you nuts?!? For once I'm at a loss for words... I know, next try drinking gas, I've heard that will get you high too You've been warned that something is deadly, and you still want to drink it even though it's not psychoactive? Have fun in the hospital! Don't hold yer breath for flowers though...

D.
Old 27-01-2005, 21:19
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Male
yajw is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1
Chlorpheniramine Maleate is an antihistamine, whereas Dextromorphan is an anti-tussive.

It's just a bottle of Chlor-Trimeton. Just like drinking a bottle of Benadryl.

Now if it was Histussin-HC, well that would be somethign a little different.

Wonder how long before he falls asleep?

</font>
Old 28-01-2005, 14:08

Male from Earth
RoboCop is on the way upRoboCop is on the way upRoboCop is on the way upRoboCop is on the way up
After my post he still wanted to drink it....I don't understand people. I guess I should of just told him it won't get him high lol, that makes him not want to do it, while the whole oraphace bleeding and health problems doesn't phase him tsk tsk.
Old 28-01-2005, 14:58
Gold Member

Male from United States
HippieD9 is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 911, Level: 4 Points: 911, Level: 4 Points: 911, Level: 4

People obviously don't care about side effects anymore, have you seen all those drug commercials on TV?!? Favorite side-effect, "temporary heart failure" Yeah, I want that one!

Peace,

D.
Old 28-01-2005, 22:27

Male
He was already planning to do it, just wanted some kind verification.

RoboCop, I did like your answer though. I assumed it was sarcastic, but
I may have been wrong. If you were serious, were you thinking of the
old formulation with phenylpropalalamine and bromipherimine.

Chlorpheniramine is relatively safe. It's when some person thinks it's
cool to mix it with another substance that utilizes the same enzyme to
break down the chemical.

But bleeding out your orifices may make you look hardcore to your friends sucking down the cough syrup. Who knows.

Old 29-01-2005, 05:28

Male from Earth
Umm no sorry your wrong Chlorpheniramine Maleate is safe at the recommended dosage on the bottle, and that only. If you take to much, in other words over dose on it, (by this I jsut mean taking to much) it is very dangerous even alone. This stuff has cause fatalities, serious internal bleeding, etc. It is NOT safe to take to much of, read up on it.
Old 29-01-2005, 06:34

par excellence. is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 206, Level: 2 Points: 206, Level: 2 Points: 206, Level: 2
Can Chlorpheniramine M. cause nose bleeds (if it's in a pill that you
crushed into a fine powder and snorted)? Because once I snorted about 3
or 4 pills with Chlor. M. as one of the ingredients and I had a
continuous nose bleed for a couple of days...
Old 29-01-2005, 22:12

serotonin is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 40, Level: 1 Points: 40, Level: 1 Points: 40, Level: 1
it might not be the Chlorph. M. that's responsible for those nosebleeds. it might be snorting something that is clearly not ment to be put up one's nose.
Old 02-02-2005, 00:06

Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboCop
Umm no sorry your wrong Chlorpheniramine Maleate is safe
at the recommended dosage on the bottle, and that only. If you take to
much, in other words over dose on it, (by this I jsut mean taking to
much) it is very dangerous even alone. This stuff has cause fatalities,
serious internal bleeding, etc. It is NOT safe to take to much of, read
up on it.

Ok, you may have something there. But do you have any cites for
Chlopheniramine Maleate toxicity or deaths by itself? Chlorpheniramine
is considered the least toxic of the histamine agonists. Yes, you can
overdose on everything, and people do. But every death or toxicity
report that mention Chlorpheniramine via Pub-Med, or other journals do
not list Chlorpheniramine as the responsible agent.

There has been a link between alcohol and chlopheniramine since 1974,
and the dangerous effects. Same with alcohol and all anti-histamines or
CNS depressants. All reported overdoses have been with cold
preparations that have a combination of dextrmorphan or guaifenesin, a
decongestant (pseudoephedrine or PPA),alcohol and chlorpheniramine. So,
you generally have 1 or 2 highly dehydrating agents, in extremely high
doses, and subsequently a large dose of chlorpheniramine, all trying to
be broken down by the same liver enzyme. It's not the chlorpheniramine
doing the majority of damage.

Old 15-01-2007, 13:20

Male from United States
Paracelsus is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumParacelsus is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumParacelsus is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumParacelsus is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumParacelsus is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumParacelsus is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumParacelsus is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumParacelsus is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumParacelsus is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumParacelsus is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumParacelsus is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 4,471, Level: 9 Points: 4,471, Level: 9 Points: 4,471, Level: 9
Chlorpheniramine - Active Dose?

Chlorpheniramine maleate is present in many preparations, at doses around 2-5 mg, sometimes as an antihistamine, other times as a poison in order to discourage abuse of certain preparations (DXM-containing, Ephedrine-containing).

I have searched for a dose-response study (or similar) for chlorpheniramine, but without many results.

Does anybody have information about chlorpheniramine dose & effects? SWIM doesn't want to use it recreationally, but he wonders what effects (both physical and psychological) are to be expected with different dosages of chlorpheniramine (e.g. in a preparation).

Thanks in advance.
Old 15-01-2007, 14:02

28 y/o Male
Elf Salvation is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1
Re: Chlorpheniramine - Active Dose?

Chlorpheniramine maleate as in CCC's is very dangerous.

Swim could only tolerate 12 CCC's max. People hit themselves in the face ect.
Its a very vulgar and brutal way to get high.
Not funn
Old 16-01-2007, 18:56

Male from United States
Paracelsus is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumParacelsus is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumParacelsus is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumParacelsus is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumParacelsus is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumParacelsus is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumParacelsus is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumParacelsus is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumParacelsus is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumParacelsus is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumParacelsus is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 4,471, Level: 9 Points: 4,471, Level: 9 Points: 4,471, Level: 9

12 CCC's max? Is that 12x4=48mg CPM?

SWIM just wants to know in what doses the effects get noticeable. So he can figure how much is acceptable.
Old 16-01-2007, 19:37
Micklemouse Micklemouse is nu online
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Male from United Kingdom
Micklemouse is a true resource and beyond reputeMicklemouse is a true resource and beyond reputeMicklemouse is a true resource and beyond reputeMicklemouse is a true resource and beyond reputeMicklemouse is a true resource and beyond reputeMicklemouse is a true resource and beyond reputeMicklemouse is a true resource and beyond reputeMicklemouse is a true resource and beyond reputeMicklemouse is a true resource and beyond reputeMicklemouse is a true resource and beyond reputeMicklemouse is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 6,219, Level: 11 Points: 6,219, Level: 11 Points: 6,219, Level: 11
Activity: 17.4% Activity: 17.4% Activity: 17.4%

I do not think that using CCC's as a benchmark is that wise an idea folks - would the effects of the chlorpheniramine be discernible from the dxm?

Please move away from discussion of CCC's if possible & stick to chlorpheniramine.
Old 16-01-2007, 23:28

Male
Forthesevenlakes really knows their shit.Forthesevenlakes really knows their shit.Forthesevenlakes really knows their shit.Forthesevenlakes really knows their shit.Forthesevenlakes really knows their shit.Forthesevenlakes really knows their shit.Forthesevenlakes really knows their shit.Forthesevenlakes really knows their shit.Forthesevenlakes really knows their shit.Forthesevenlakes really knows their shit.

SWIM hasn't had pure chlorpheniramine, but he can say, from using various cough syrups in the reccomended doses for colds and flus, that chlorpheniramine seems to be active at 2-4 mg for SWIM. It results in a detached, dreamy state where sleep is not far off. Some CEVs usually result before SWIM sleeps, if he closes his eyes for a couple of minutes. SWIM is guessing that these effects are not due to DXM or other ingredients present, since the amount of DXM in these preparations would be in sub-psychoactive doses for SWIM when taken as directed. Not really much in the way of euphoria, but SWIM did notice some greater degree of free association in thought when he tried to write after taking CPM. Overall though SWIM wouldnt really reccomend this drug for any sort of recreational use, the liklihood of dangerous effects in higher doses is too risky.
Old 17-01-2007, 00:17

Male
AntiAimer is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 119, Level: 1 Points: 119, Level: 1 Points: 119, Level: 1

Chlorpheniramine maleate is a antihistamine, so you can only guess it has some type of dissociating effects. Maybe hints why some actually prefer the evil CCC's even after knowing the evils. Taken from erowid...
Quote:
High doses of Chlorpheniramine Maleate (CPM) can cause severe and life-threatening symptoms including seizures; shortness of breath or troubled breathing; weakness; loss of consciousness; severe dryness of mouth, nose, or throat; bleeding from skin, mouth, eyes, rectum, and vagina; and possibly death.
We have seen recommendations that no more than 24 mg of CPM be taken in a day.
Old 23-02-2007, 11:58
Silver Member

27 y/o Male
Primacorza is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 36, Level: 1 Points: 36, Level: 1 Points: 36, Level: 1
Re: histussin?

While I do not know much about Chlorpheniramine Maleate specifically as an antihistamine per se, my knowledge of antihistamines in general would agree with you.

1) Antihistamines are 1st generation h-1 receptor reverse agonists (I hear it's older than benadryl). The reason why 1st generation anti's make you sleepy is because the histamine receptors in your brain regulate your biological clock- they fire less when you are in a deeper sleep. Normal CNS depressants forcefully lower your vital functions, anti's indirectly sedate by changing your biological clock. Most pharmacologists who know their stuff will tell you that in theory, it is impossible to overdose on an antihistamine in order to kill yourself- you will simply fall asleep.

2)However, the problem with G-1 antihistamines is that they were invented before we had a good grasp on the histamine process- that's why new allergy medications like loratidine do not cross the brain blood barrier- and therefore do not effect the CNS at all. While this effects a wide range of brain functions, from cough reflex to adrenalin, the most important toxicity factor is the anticholinergic (antimuscaric) effect. Acetylcholine is the primary neurotransmitter in both controllable muscle movement and more importantly, the parasympathetic (automatic) muscle movement.

The sympathetic system is where adrenalin increases your heart rate and breathing, stops digestion and increases alertness- the fight or flight reflex. However, these functions will not return to normal until acted on by the parasympathetic system. Anticholinergics do not stimulate (in fact, they're usually somewhat sedating), however when heavily overdosed, they cause delirium, nausea, dry mouth (from lack of digesting), and since there is nothing to balance the adrenalin systems, irregular heartbeat and muscle spasms (read- SEIZURE) occur.

If anybody is lost with all this chemistry, this is what I mean- nerve agents are acetylcholine agonists and NICOTINE and ATROPINE, two very potent poisons, are anticholinergic.

3) HOWEVER, benadryl is an anticholinergic with a LD of 500 mg/kg in rats (the standard for drug testing cause it's comparable to humans usually), and is specifically used (recreationally) as a deliriant. While I couldn't find an LD on CPM, some sources state that CPM has only 60% the cholinergic activity and 25% the sedation. All counts I've read also imply that it is one of the safest antihistamines.

An erowid experience points to a person who took almost 100 times the standard dose without any ill effects, other than extreme sedation.

And finally, 4) I believe I have read at least one account of CPM killing people as a stand alone drug, but the primary concerns to overdosing were massively focused on elderly with heart problems and toddler/infants. I do not know which enzyme breaks down CPM (if you do, I would love the knowledge), but all the descriptions of damage from CPM are of mixtures, which would, as you said with alcohol, be a classice case of hepatic overload greatly increasing the plasma levels of both drugs.
Not sure about CPM, but alot of antihistamines, such as benadryl and promethazine, are also local anesthetics. Local anesthetics work by blocking sodium channels, which is how nerves cells in the skin send impulses (hence, numbness). The heart has sodium channels and LARGE amounts of these drugs in your bloodstream also sometimes explains heart damage.

Now to settle the original question posed- again I would agree with you and say, I've overdosed on benadryl before and frankly the deliriant style of tripping produces no euphoria, no significant mood altering, unique but still very lame hallucinations (remember your sleep cycle?- it's more like having a split-second "dream" effect [maybe seeing someone out the corner of your eye BS]), and best of all, this all happens while you're FIGHTING to stay awake. CPM is weaker than benadryl, and with a higher side effect profile, why not just spend 2 bucks on generic benadryl and get a slightly better and still crappy trip?

You remind me of some of my marines, who are convinced that just because the doc gave you something it's "good stuff". You might have better luck tripping on antibiotics (don't do it- it's just a joke).

Oh and one more thing- It's helpful do give the amount of drug in a dose, or a brand name, or something when describing doses- not all pills OR syrups have the same concentration, such as I've seen at least 3 different concentrations of DXM syrup, so 10 ounces, just leaves me confused as to how much you in fact use.

good post backed up by strong knowledge on the subject

Last edited by Jatelka; 20-06-2010 at 06:01.
Old 22-12-2009, 17:33

Female
sizzam102938 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Re: Chlorpheniramine

I would just like to say i have tripped out on DXM before and also have taken a large amount of chlorpheniramine maleate and let me tell you its nothing close to a trip it was probly one of the most painful things ive experienced i forced myself to puke because the stomage pain was unbearable i took 50mg of it and just dont do it bad idea! But then aigan i also was takeing about 8500mg of Acetaminophen with it which could have also caused the pain but either way there was no trip so i wouldnt try it.

Please read the rules regarding self incrimination
Old 21-07-2010, 17:12

24 y/o Male from United Kingdom
CRXSS should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Points: 76, Level: 1 Points: 76, Level: 1 Points: 76, Level: 1
Activity: 0.0% Activity: 0.0% Activity: 0.0%
chlorpheniramine?

what is it? is it similiar to Diphenhydramine?
if so, what sa good dose?
Old 21-07-2010, 17:26
Silver Member

33 y/o Male
Codeine Fiend is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 225, Level: 2 Points: 225, Level: 2 Points: 225, Level: 2
Re: chlorphenamine?

Nemo assumes SWIY means chlorpheniramine maleate and not chlorphenamine?

This is a compound that will cause a drowsiness, anxiety reduction and hallucinations at higher doses (not particularly pleasant either) not unlike diphenhydramine, but it feels different, it packs a punch. Nemo says that he'd prefer chlorpheniramine anyday butprobablywouldn't take it again as it feels 'heavy' and somewhat uncomfortable.

Normal dosage is 4mg. If one is smart about their drug use they will try the recommended dose first to see if they will like it. Else one is in for a loooong night of feeling awful if they took too much for their first time.

Best of luck to SWIY.
Old 21-07-2010, 17:52

24 y/o Male from United Kingdom
CRXSS should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Points: 76, Level: 1 Points: 76, Level: 1 Points: 76, Level: 1
Activity: 0.0% Activity: 0.0% Activity: 0.0%
Re: chlorphenamine?

yeah, thats what swim meant. btu thats ONE allergy pill? isnt that a tiny dose?

CRXSS added 2 Minutes and 19 Seconds later...

SWIM TOOK one first time, felt nothing, two second, and now tried two again, no effect?

Last edited by CRXSS; 21-07-2010 at 17:52. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Share this on:

Tags
antihistamines, chlorpheniramine, deleriant, promethazine, promethazine recreational, swelling at injection site