Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Opiates & Opioids > Methadone
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 02-01-2008, 08:33
Banned

26 y/o Female
mikebobjohn should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Methadone vs. Oxycodone

Is it normal that SWIM has gotten twice the pain relief, and twice the euphoria from 20mg of methadone than he did from 15mg of oxycodone?

Both dosages were taken orally, and both are immediate release.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:34
Banned

26 y/o Female
Re: Methadone vs. Oxycodone

What I mean is can someone please explain how that could happen? Since everywhere swim reads people are saying how great and heroin-like oxycodone is. is methadone really supposed to be stronger, or am i just reacting strangely?
Old 02-01-2008, 08:48
R.I.P.

Female from United States
moda00 must mainline Medlinemoda00 must mainline Medlinemoda00 must mainline Medlinemoda00 must mainline Medlinemoda00 must mainline Medlinemoda00 must mainline Medlinemoda00 must mainline Medlinemoda00 must mainline Medlinemoda00 must mainline Medlinemoda00 must mainline Medlinemoda00 must mainline Medline
Points: 3,393, Level: 8 Points: 3,393, Level: 8 Points: 3,393, Level: 8
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

I would consult an equivalency chart, but I do believe to the best of my knowledge that methadone is actually significantly stronger mg per mg than most other opioids, sythetic or naturally occurring, and that it also binds more strongly to the receptors? Which is why naloxone is often not as effective in relieving a methadone overdose as it would be for heroin (diacetylmorphone), oxycodone, hydrocodone, etc? Anyone know more on this? I know this is also true of suboxone (buprenorphine), but I think it is accurate for methadone as well (both used for opioid maintenance treatment, but methadone is also being increasingly used nowadays for its effectiveness for chronic pain)

The main difference I can think of is that oxycodone is a very short acting opiate, needing to be re- administered every 3-4 hours (unless it's in some time release form and is not taken apart by crushing, insufflating, injecting, etc.) whereas methadone is a very long acting opiate. But I'm guessing with the doses you took, the methadone was both more potent short term, and longer lasting over time.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:39
Palladium Member

Male from Earth
samuraigecko must think in IUPACsamuraigecko must think in IUPACsamuraigecko must think in IUPACsamuraigecko must think in IUPACsamuraigecko must think in IUPACsamuraigecko must think in IUPACsamuraigecko must think in IUPACsamuraigecko must think in IUPACsamuraigecko must think in IUPACsamuraigecko must think in IUPACsamuraigecko must think in IUPAC
Points: 2,929, Level: 8 Points: 2,929, Level: 8 Points: 2,929, Level: 8

yes, Methadone is stronger than Oxycontin Mg for Mg. Also Oxycontin is a controlled release whereas methadone is usually a liquid and therefor an almost immediate release. It is no surprise that one had the effects that one experienced. The reason why people like Oxycontin is because it tends to feel very similar to very clean hammer at higher dosages (I.E: 40-80mg etc).

One is no way suggesting that ANYONE give those dosages a go unless one is already tolerant to opiates.

THIS link may help.
As may THIS one.
THIS is also another good comparison chart.
And THIS OTHER one may also help.
As may THIS LAST one too.

Using these links as comparisons one may see inconsistencies but they basically all show the same thing IN GENERAL. Some of them differ slightly in suggested comparative dosages but they follow a basic trend which is moderately accurate.

One needs to know the following to calculate the methadone comparison well
**Daily chronic oral morphine equivalent
Conversion ratio morphine:methadone
< 100 mg
3:1
100-300mg
5:1
300-600mg
10:1
600-800mg
12:1
800-1000mg
15:1
> 1000 mg
20:1
**Caveat: Equivalence of methadone to morphine may vary considerably from one individual to another. Use conversion table with caution.

This shows that depending on what the morphine dose is the comparative rate for methadone goes up. this is like a torque curve in a car or motorcycle. so from this data one could conclude that
10mg morphine converts 3:1 methadone = 3mg of methadone.
10mg morphine converts to Oxycodone 5mg
This would conclude that in general the conversion would be for every 3mg of methadone the equivalent dosage of OXycodone would be 5mg until the threshold of 100mg (comparative morphine dosage) is reached.

Therefor . . Using the above method loosely . . SWIYour 20mg of methadone would have been equal too 35-40mg of Oxycodone, Over twice SWIyour dosage of the Oxycodone mentioned and around the recreational dosage of Oxycodone in general for moderately opiate tolerant peoples.

Hope this has been of help.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Great post, nice use of links
EXACTLY what I needed! tyvm for such a complete, informative post!!
Old 04-01-2008, 22:17
Platinum Member

Male from Netherlands
Psych0naut must mainline MedlinePsych0naut must mainline MedlinePsych0naut must mainline MedlinePsych0naut must mainline MedlinePsych0naut must mainline MedlinePsych0naut must mainline MedlinePsych0naut must mainline MedlinePsych0naut must mainline MedlinePsych0naut must mainline MedlinePsych0naut must mainline MedlinePsych0naut must mainline Medline
Points: 2,986, Level: 8 Points: 2,986, Level: 8 Points: 2,986, Level: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebobjohn View Post
Is it normal that SWIM has gotten twice the pain relief, and twice the euphoria from 20mg of methadone than he did from 15mg of oxycodone?

Both dosages were taken orally, and both are immediate release.
Which one is and which one isn't euphoric are just subjective opinions, they are different for everyone, so yes, it's normal that some people do find the methadone more euphoric, while other don't. To be honest, SWIM likes a high dose of oral methadone much, much more than nasal oxycodone. As mentioned though, 20mg of methadone would be stronger than 15mg oxycodone in terms of potency.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:54
Palladium Member

Male from Earth
samuraigecko must think in IUPACsamuraigecko must think in IUPACsamuraigecko must think in IUPACsamuraigecko must think in IUPACsamuraigecko must think in IUPACsamuraigecko must think in IUPACsamuraigecko must think in IUPACsamuraigecko must think in IUPACsamuraigecko must think in IUPACsamuraigecko must think in IUPACsamuraigecko must think in IUPAC

One agrees totally. Type of opiate and dosage given for the effect reached is heavily influenced by personal opinion and varies just as much as "which is better, coke or pepsi"

Old 05-01-2008, 02:59
Banned

26 y/o Female

So since swim took 20mg of methadone, and it's equivilent to 35-40mg oxycodone, does that mean that, even though swim doesnt relaly have much of a tolerance to opiates, it would be safe for swim to try 35mg of oxycodone?

also, what is 'clean hammer?'
Old 06-01-2008, 02:09
Palladium Member

Male from Earth

clean hammer is Heroin which has not been cut very much with adulterants. Again one is not going to tell SWIY what is safe to take, one will only provide the information needed to make SWIYour OWN decisions. One can deduce many things from the charts and links one has provided if one takes the time to actually read them properly.

Hope this, as always, has been of help.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:21
Banned

26 y/o Female

what does the 3:1, 12:1, 20:1 mean?
Old 06-01-2008, 21:42
Palladium Member

Male from Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebobjohn View Post
what does the 3:1, 12:1, 20:1 mean?
They are ratio's, making a "torque curve" so to speak.
example 3:1 means 3x strength, 12:1 means 12x strength, 20x1 means 20x strength (mg for mg). So on and so forth. One should talk to google occasionally, he is a knowledgeable dude.

Hope this has been of help.

Post Quality Evaluations:
useful and informative, as always
Old 26-12-2008, 06:55
Banned

39 y/o Male from Australia
cybergenesis needs to UTFSE some more before posting.

I know this is an old thread, but i had to comment.

I believe methadone is about the same strength as oxycodone when taken acutely. That is when you take it as a single dose.

I believe that it becomes somewhere in the vicinity of twice the strength of oxycodone that is when taken chronically, day after day.
Old 29-07-2014, 00:37

Male from United States
boredswfl is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1
Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5%

I see all over the net different answers on conversion of meth to oxy, In all my research and my personal opinion by trial and error. The closet correct answer would be 30-40 mg meth would equal 120 mg oxy. I have even seen some of the calculators come up with ridiculous calculations. To kill my pain and give me some high I take 120 mg in the morning. Now being on meth I started out at 20 mg, had pain, went to 40 mg and no pain. So I conclude by my own little test. I believe I am on target with this answer seems to be fair to say that if you take 60 mg oxy then 20 mg of methadone will kill the pain. division factor of 3

240 mg oxy divided by 3 would mean 80 mg of meth as equivilant

Hope this helps and want to hear opinions.

Share this on:

Tags
comparison between methadone and oxycodone, methadone versus oxycodone, withdrawals