Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Various drugs not covered by other forums > Deliriant antihistamines
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Deliriant antihistamines Diphenhydramine, cyclizine and other antihistamines.

Old 13-12-2007, 08:05
Silver Member

Male from United States
Lucid_Dreamer is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 31, Level: 1 Points: 31, Level: 1 Points: 31, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Diphenhydramine/ Dimenhydrinate Causes Electrolyte Imbalances *Death*

After doing some research through various medical sites and wikipedia, I have come to the conclusion that Diphenhydramine/hydrinate is EXTREMELY dangerous. It creates a delirious state of mind because of the toxic tropane alkaloids. This chemical when ingested causes increased heart rate, trouble breathing, trouble with bodily secretions, no sexual arousal, blurred vision, no balance, dialted pupiles, hallucinations, sensitivity to light, etc.

Diphenhydramine also depletes the body of potassium, which can lead to an electrolyte imbalance, which can lead to bodily damage, and even death.

Research it for yourself. I did for a good 5 hours.

I didn't know if this was already known by anybody or not. But Diph trips are deadly!

Post Quality Evaluations:
your case report is interesting, motive is good. Research is quite superficial though.

Last edited by Lucid_Dreamer; 11-05-2012 at 18:59.
Old 13-12-2007, 13:26
Silver Member

Male from Australia
sknkv2 is a decent psychonaut.sknkv2 is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 158, Level: 2 Points: 158, Level: 2 Points: 158, Level: 2
Re: Diphenhydramine/ Dimenhydrinate Causes Electrolyte Imbalances *Death*

Oh no, anything but dilated pupils!

I think you have greatly overestimated the danger of this drug. Although the things you have stated are true, they are relatively benign and hardly symptoms to fear. I mean honestly man "blurred vision"?

Of course there are risks associated with every drug, I just don't get why you'd come to the conclusion this one is so risky it needed to be noted as opposed to other drugs which are considered to be much more risky.

Post Quality Evaluations:
I lol'd
Old 13-12-2007, 18:15
Silver Member

Male
Exc_quetz is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 64, Level: 1 Points: 64, Level: 1 Points: 64, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucid_Dreamer View Post
It creates a delirious state of mind because of the toxic tropane alkaloids. This chemical when ingested causes increased heart rate, trouble breathing, trouble with bodily secretions, no sexual arousal, blurred vision, no balance, dialted pupiles, hallucinations, sensitivity to light, etc.
Sounds good to SWIM.

Quote:
Diphenhydramine also depletes the body of potassium, which can lead to an electrolyte imbalance, which can lead to bodily damage, and even death.
So eat a banana and drink a gatorade, problem solved.
Old 13-12-2007, 22:27
Silver Member

Male from United States

You guys laugh at it but I almost died from it. I ended up in the hospital with absolutely NO potassium in my system at all only 4 hours after ingestion. I was given potassium pills for the next 2 days to try and get my levels back to soemwhat normal.

As for the other sypmtoms...My heart almost exploded due to the increased heart rate. My heart rate was at or above 250BPM for well over 2 hours.

I'm just warning you guys. And I still have some effects of the Diphenhydramine trip I had. My vision is permanently fucked. Ever play GH3? Yea, after I play that I can look around anywhere in the room and everything is swirling and twisting and contorting.

Hell, even if I just look at something for 5 seconds its starts contorting itno different objects and shapes.

I'm just giving a warning from someone who has had to deal with this. Tripping on this bullshit OTC is not worth it. Go buy a real drug like lsd, shrooms, dmt...or anything like that. Stay away from deleriants.
Old 13-12-2007, 23:15
Silver Member

35 y/o Male
Orchid_Suspiria probably knows what they are talking about.Orchid_Suspiria probably knows what they are talking about.Orchid_Suspiria probably knows what they are talking about.Orchid_Suspiria probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 1,427, Level: 5 Points: 1,427, Level: 5 Points: 1,427, Level: 5

This is fact swim has no doubt.However swim has tripped on diphenhydramine countless times and is still living.Swim thinks it is admirable to warn people of these dangers though.
Old 14-12-2007, 02:41
Silver Member

Male from Australia

SWIM thinks there is a good chance you have some under-lying condition that contributed to the condition you ended up in as that seems to be a fairly rare reaction. How much did you take exactly?
Old 14-12-2007, 02:58
Platinum Member & Advisor

Male from United States
Paracelsus is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumParacelsus is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumParacelsus is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumParacelsus is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumParacelsus is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumParacelsus is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumParacelsus is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumParacelsus is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumParacelsus is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumParacelsus is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumParacelsus is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 4,471, Level: 9 Points: 4,471, Level: 9 Points: 4,471, Level: 9

I believe it's more like Russian roulette rather than underlying conditions. Some people seem to be able to handle the side effects and can actually have fun, while most will never ever do it again. About the vision problems: isn't there a diphenhydramine HPPD thread?

Face it: diphenhydramine is far from being safe (in recreational doses). For most, this doesn't matter since they don't enjoy it anyways. The minority needs to stop glorifying it the way it's done.
Old 14-12-2007, 04:43
Silver Member

Male

SWIM is sorry you had such a bad experience SWILD, and SWIM knows that DPH is far from the safest drug out there, but you came in with some really weak arguments.
Old 14-12-2007, 04:48
Silver Member

Male from United States

Well...I did ingest 1200mg of Diphenhydramine...so.

But still...my arguments are not weak.

Everyone knows that if your body has an electrolyte imbalance, you can die.

Well, histamines help control the electrolytes in the body and without them, some things can get thrown out of whack. Like your potassium levels.

Quote:

Histamine is a chemical that our body releases when it needs help correcting a shortage of some very important substances like water, salt or potassium. Histamine and its buddies (5 helpers) will help re-balance the body that is "out of balance". Histamine is really a good thing that saves our lives according to the great Dr. F. Batmanghelidj. The medical field today is using anti-histamines because it does not understand how histamine really works in the human body. When histamine is produced in the body, it can be over-produced because we are taking too much of one thing or another that our body cannot use.

Last edited by Jatelka; 20-06-2010 at 07:23.
Old 14-12-2007, 23:05
Silver Member

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucid_Dreamer View Post
Well...I did ingest 1200mg of Diphenhydramine...so.
Well there's your problem. That's far more than any sensible recreational DPH user suggests.
Old 15-12-2007, 06:01
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Male
Zaprenz must live here.Zaprenz must live here.Zaprenz must live here.Zaprenz must live here.Zaprenz must live here.Zaprenz must live here.Zaprenz must live here.Zaprenz must live here.
Points: 1,419, Level: 5 Points: 1,419, Level: 5 Points: 1,419, Level: 5
Well first of all SWIM thinks a few things need clearing up for accuracy.

Yes! Anti-cholinergics are not particularly nice compounds in high doses!

diphenhydramine & dimenhydrinate are not the same and although they share many pharmacological effects with tropane alkaloids they are not tropane alkaloids themselves.

Secondly

Dimenhydrinate = salt of diphenhydramine and 8-chlorotheophylline combined

8-chlorotheophylline is a xanthine related to caffeine/theophylline & CNS stimulant. Originally intended to counteract the drowsy side effects of diphenhydramine when used for it's intended purpose at normal doses. (It proved ineffective at this)

Like caffeine + theophylline, 8-chlorotheophylline will be a mild diuretic, This will further add complication to the disruption of electrolytes.

Considering molecular masses are 271.35 : 214.61 respectively you are going to be getting something like 400 - 600mg 8-chlorotheophylline in a dose of 1200mg dimenhydrinate. That is a large dose! although SWIM is unsure of it's toxicity compared to caffeine and theophylline comparing it to theohpylline which has an extremely narrow therapeutic window - it doesn't seem clever at all.

SWIM finds it strange why people want to ingest high doses of anti-cholinergics such as diphenhydramine (and effectively simulate dementia) but even so would definately NOT recommend dimenhydrinate as theophylline has a low therapeutic window (+ prob 8-chloroT is close if not just as bad) and can also cause nausea, diarrhea, increase in heart rate, arrhythmias and CNS excitation (all of that on top of already present nasty anticholinergic side effects).

Last edited by Jatelka; 20-06-2010 at 07:23.
Old 16-12-2007, 03:03
Silver Member

Male from Australia

So basically what you are saying is that it is not the dimenhydrinate itself that is bad, it the "8-chlorotheophylline" it is mixed with? Would it be possible to seperate the two or would it be better to just stick to diphenhydramine? I could have interpreted what you wrote incorrectly, but in case I haven't just curious of it a little.
Old 16-12-2007, 03:07
Platinum Member & Advisor

Male from United States
Paracelsus is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumParacelsus is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumParacelsus is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumParacelsus is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumParacelsus is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumParacelsus is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumParacelsus is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumParacelsus is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumParacelsus is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumParacelsus is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumParacelsus is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 4,471, Level: 9 Points: 4,471, Level: 9 Points: 4,471, Level: 9

He said that the 8-Cl-theophylline adds to the health risks and unpleasantness of high-dose dimenhydrinate. But he probably missed that Lucid_Dreamer said that his friend ingested 1200 mg diphenhydramine and NOT dimenhydrinate.
Old 16-12-2007, 03:22

Male
Zaprenz must live here.Zaprenz must live here.Zaprenz must live here.Zaprenz must live here.Zaprenz must live here.Zaprenz must live here.Zaprenz must live here.Zaprenz must live here.
Points: 1,419, Level: 5 Points: 1,419, Level: 5 Points: 1,419, Level: 5
SWIM will clarify:

SWIM would see diphenhydramine as the compound which has less complications. [because it has no 8-chloro-theophylline] But dose won't be equivalent between the two compounds (diphenhydramine & dimenhydrinate) - so both are just as potentially dangerous if not thought through.

SWIM ultimately sees both as a complete waste of time, money and health. Resulting in an experience which is inherently unfun or dysphoric.

In high doses - they are not hallucinogenic in an LSD type way, they are effectively creating a mental state probably very close to dementia by blocking acetyl-choline transmission. [very unfun]

That's not to say sedating antihistamines are not useful in normal recommended doses.

Last edited by Zaprenz; 16-12-2007 at 12:43.
Old 16-01-2008, 05:21
Silver Member

27 y/o Female from United States
Female probably knows what they are talking about.Female probably knows what they are talking about.Female probably knows what they are talking about.Female probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 338, Level: 2 Points: 338, Level: 2 Points: 338, Level: 2

Regardless of a "safe" trip or not, SWIM at least, did not plan to take diphenhydramine for recreational reasons to being with. No drugs are holly jolly safe to run away with, this is a fact, and a delerient must always be treated with respect and caution, true, but SWIM doesn't see a problem with taking more than medicinal dosages of diphenhydramine for pure mind expansion under the right settings and with the proper amount of caution lodged into the brain. SWIM has not doubt that diphenhydramine is a horrendous trip, but isn't that the point for some swimmers? SWIM had an awful experience with diphenhydramine, but does NOT regret it at all! SWIM feels she learned a lot from that drug...enough to never go further, but a lot about her mind and how to react when she is panicked and frightened. The pure fact that diphenhydramine overdose causes hallucinations of the delerious nature should be enough to warn swims that it will not be a fun trip like lsd could potentially be. SWIM is glad you've shared your caution. But, downright bashing it seems to be saddening for some psychonauts who see potential in danger and delerium.
Old 17-01-2008, 02:36

38 y/o Male from United States
El Calico Loco must think in IUPACEl Calico Loco must think in IUPACEl Calico Loco must think in IUPACEl Calico Loco must think in IUPACEl Calico Loco must think in IUPACEl Calico Loco must think in IUPACEl Calico Loco must think in IUPACEl Calico Loco must think in IUPACEl Calico Loco must think in IUPACEl Calico Loco must think in IUPACEl Calico Loco must think in IUPAC
Points: 2,468, Level: 7 Points: 2,468, Level: 7 Points: 2,468, Level: 7

Hm...I wonder...could the electrolyte imbalance be the cause of the hallucinations experienced on high-dose diphenhydramine?

Swim has had three or four DPH "trips". The first was 250mg and led to fairly strong hallucinations, mild dementia, and extreme thirst and lethargy. Subsequent attempts at higher doses (maximum 500mg) led to far greater dementia - at one point, he spent an hour or so trying to log the trip and kept forgetting what he intended to write mid-sentence - but little or no hallucinations. Could it have been because he was drinking buttloads of Gatorade? After the first time, he made sure to have some on hand to try and deal with the unquenchable thirst.

I didn't find any mentions of hypokalemia causing hallucinations on Wikipedia or healthatoz.com, but medicallook.com does seem to think it's possible:

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.medicalook.com/Nutritional_supplement/Hypokalemia.html
Symptoms of hypokalemia can mimic other conditions. Symptoms include feeling weak and tired, tingling, numbness, nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramping, bloating, constipation, palpitations of the heart, excessive urinating, excessive thirst, fainting typically due to low blood pressure, or abnormal psychological behavior such as depression, confusion, psychosis, hallucinations, or delirium.
Aside from "excessive urinating" and "depression," that describes a DPH trip fairly well. If much of the DPH experience is due to low potassium rather than the anticholinergic activity, then DPH is just a small step above gasoline. Electrolyte imbalances can be deadly.

On the other hand, I can't locate any reference that says DPH lowers potassium, only mentions that it blocks potassium channels.

ECL
Old 18-01-2008, 04:37
Silver Member

27 y/o Female from United States
Female probably knows what they are talking about.Female probably knows what they are talking about.Female probably knows what they are talking about.Female probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 338, Level: 2 Points: 338, Level: 2 Points: 338, Level: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Calico Loco View Post
Hm...I wonder...could the electrolyte imbalance be the cause of the hallucinations experienced on high-dose diphenhydramine?

Swim has had three or four DPH "trips". The first was 250mg and led to fairly strong hallucinations, mild dementia, and extreme thirst and lethargy. Subsequent attempts at higher doses (maximum 500mg) led to far greater dementia - at one point, he spent an hour or so trying to log the trip and kept forgetting what he intended to write mid-sentence - but little or no hallucinations. Could it have been because he was drinking buttloads of Gatorade? After the first time, he made sure to have some on hand to try and deal with the unquenchable thirst.

I didn't find any mentions of hypokalemia causing hallucinations on Wikipedia or healthatoz.com, but medicallook.com does seem to think it's possible:

Aside from "excessive urinating" and "depression," that describes a DPH trip fairly well. If much of the DPH experience is due to low potassium rather than the anticholinergic activity, then DPH is just a small step above gasoline. Electrolyte imbalances can be deadly.

On the other hand, I can't locate any reference that says DPH lowers potassium, only mentions that it blocks potassium channels.

ECL
SWIM does remember excessive urinating or the need to "go" every 5 minutes during lower dosages (250mgs to 350mgs), so that seems to fit the description for hypokalemia pretty well. Could another potential for the hallucinations be pure induced sleep deprivation as well? SWIM remembers just before the hallucinations began that her eyes seem to shift back and forth, right to left, rapidly while her eyes were still open - something disturbingly close to REM activity. Does any other swimmers who have experiences Dipehn trips have any similar experiences? SWIM also remembers noted swelling in her arms, fingers and face, and that her face and arms began very warm; symptoms she believes to be common to anticholinergic activity.

SWIM would also like to mention that she did not have gatorade during her trips, but plain water to quench the unbearable cottonmouth and thirst, so her electrolyte levels were probably quite low.
Old 04-02-2008, 21:48
Silver Member

Male from United States
icantthinkofanything is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 17, Level: 1 Points: 17, Level: 1 Points: 17, Level: 1

SWIM never takes it without double dosing his multivitams first. He finds it detracts from the more undesiarable side effects (like feeling weak, even the terrible dry mouth some). Plus the "day of recovery" he gets after his DPH trips is not as bad when taken with multivitamine or two.
Old 08-02-2008, 02:27

Male from USA - New Jersey
Kuba32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 40, Level: 1 Points: 40, Level: 1 Points: 40, Level: 1

Now SWIY had such horrible side effects at such a high dose of 1200mg.... Most of the thing u mentioned barely even occur at doses like 300mg. If they do they are barely noticeable. An easy counter to the potassium is eat a banana.

Share this on:

Tags
benadryl, blurry vision, death, dimenhydrinate, diphenhydramine, drugs, drugs forum, gravol, heart palpitations, palpitations, sexual