Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Downers and sleeping pills
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Downers and sleeping pills Anxiety Meds, Sleeping Pills and Skeletal Muscle Relaxants

Old 04-10-2007, 01:03
Banned

34 y/o Male
soma is captain of the psychonauts.soma is captain of the psychonauts.
Butalbital Experience Report (and an easy extraction technique)

Hello Everybody,
I wanted to tell everyone about a positive experience report I found rolled up in a Wal-Mart parking lot (no I'm not swimming, I'm going to try a different technique to not be incriminating- mods, please let me know if this is any way in violation).

!!!!!--- This is the exact text of a piece of paper that I found wadded up in the parking lot---!!!!

Preface: I know very well the issues with excessive acetomiphen / APAP / paracetamol consumption, and made the decision to injest roughly 2g anyway. He knows the risk, and knows this is well within the max daily limit, even though it may not be best for his body. Yesterday, he consumed 1mg of alprazolam, the day before 4mg. I would like to compare the following to benzodiazepines, so I will do my best to try.

+11AM: The FedEx guy arrives with my present: 180 tablets of Butalbital/caffiene/acetominaphen

+11:01: Yeah, I can't wait. 3 tablets down the hatch, they are 40mg of Butalbital, 50mg of caffiene, and 325 of APAP.

+11:20: I had an empty stomach, but I wasn't expecting effects this fast. The tablets were rather hard, so I expected a slow release.

+11:50: SWIM feels as if he has injested 2mg of Alprazolam, very similar feeling with every so slightly less euphoria (I am a benzo fiend, so the thought of benzos make me euphoric. This may make me biased). Don't get me wrong, there was a great sedate euphoria, but very slightly less.

+11:55: Swim should note that there is slightly more body impairment with alprazolam - or so I think - I've been told I walk funny and talk funny on alprazolam, but I've never noticed it myself (oops).

+12:25: Effects waning slightly, same duration peak as alprazolam.

+1:30: I think I'm okay, so 3 more tablets are injested.

+1:50: Holy fuckin shit, huge body buzz, huge head buzz. 6mg of alprazolam + a carisoprodol-like body buzz. Feelin great.

+3pm: Still feeling good.

+4pm: I feel like I'm closing in on baseline.

+7pm: I never really got there, I remained relaxed for the rest of the day and slept well. The relaxation was comparable to 10mg of diazepam/valium.

Conclusion: I found Butalbital to be very pleasurable in higher doses, not as much in lower doses. There is DEFINATE recreational potential for this drug, and I wouldn't discount it as useless as many other people told me. It can be very potent, and driving would be a terrible idea, and there is always the risk of APAP, so be mindful of that. The max daily dose on APAP in the US is 4g/day, so 2g/day seemed safe to me. If you are more concerned than I, then by all means, get some good benzos. However, in the US, these are unscheduled (so long as they are compounded with APAP, otherwise its a Schedule III) so they are easily obtained legally via online pharmacies (mods, let me know if that comment was out of line - I'd like to maintain a good rep on this board).

Please also note that I am an experienced pharm user- my list looks something like this: Alprazolam, Temazepam, Clonazepam, Diazepam, Lorazepam, Triazolam, Carisoprodol, Hydrocodone, Oxycodone, Morphine, Codiene, Propyloxyphene, Methylphenidate, Amphetamine Salts (Adderall), Levomethylphenidate, and much more. I'm not an unexperienced user feeling a placebo effect

!!!!--- Please note that the above was found on a wadded up piece of paper in a parking lot, I have nothing to do with the above report, nor do I know who does---!!!!

Hope you enjoyed the report about the underrated substance. Hopefully I'll find more such pieces of paper in other parking lots!
Old 04-10-2007, 05:58
Psychedelic Shepherdess

37 y/o Female from United Kingdom
Jatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 10,860, Level: 15 Points: 10,860, Level: 15 Points: 10,860, Level: 15
Activity: 6.8% Activity: 6.8% Activity: 6.8%
Re: Butalbital Experience Report

Interesting report, thanks for sharing.

I have to say, though, using drugs compounded with Paracetamol (apapthingy) recreationally seems a recipe for disaster.

The author of the piece of paper you found kept under the maximum 24 hour dose. But barbs cause anterograde amnesia, and it would be easy to discover later that a liver failure inducing dose of paracetamol had been inadvertantly ingested

For harm reduction purposes, unless something to remove the Paracetamol could be found, recreational Fioricet use CANNOT be recommended
Old 04-10-2007, 11:54
Banned

34 y/o Male

The author is sure that for many people with lower tolerances, Butalbital would cause profound amnesia. Oddly enough, the author experienced none- even though high doses of benzodiazepines definently do. Its always good to be reminded of the dangers of APAP, there are too many uneducated drug users out there who have no idea that APAP is harmful, or no idea what APAP is.

However, the author thinks that its a bit of a stretch to say that no substance with APAP is abusable- so long as the dose does not escalate. Absolutely, the author thinks that if the user is irresponsible and/or forgets how many SWIY has taken, that IS a recipe for disaster. However, I can only believe that the dose the author injested is REASONABLY safe, as the dose is only equal to two doses of Maxium Stregnth Tylenol, injested in two separate doses 4 hours apart (which, ironically enough, is the exact medical recommendation of the very box of Max. Stregnth Tylenol). At least in the United States, this is one of the most common analgesics and contains 500mg of APAP in each tablet, and each dose is 2 tablets.

Please do note that the author KNOWS that APAP is utter crap, and that it is never truly safe. However, he still believes that this dose is reasonably safe, as it was taken exactly per FDA (the US drug regulation dep't) requirements. He believes that such an experiement can be untertaken by very responsible drug users who know they can control their dose (or only have six tablets, for that matter). He knows the danger of anteriograde amnesia all too well, as once under the influence of Zolpidem, he injested the entire rest of the bottle for no appearant reason. However, for experienced users, he believes its a stretch to say that absolutely no APAP-compounded drug has recreational potential.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:34
Banned

34 y/o Male

I also wanted to note that the author kept feeling the "relaxation" effects up to 24 hours later. The half-life of butalbital is no joke -- 36 hours. Jatelka, I'm interested to see what you think about my comments above, I know you fear APAP for good reason, but do you really think there is NO place for APAP in recreation? The author agrees, by the way, that if you suffer from anteriograde amnesia it very well could be dangerous, but I'm more curious what you think about experienced downer-users or those with limited supplies. Do you think the author's experiment was fairly safe? I'm very curious, as I've seen your posts and I respect your opinion.
Old 15-10-2007, 12:15
Platinum Member

Male from Netherlands
Psych0naut must mainline MedlinePsych0naut must mainline MedlinePsych0naut must mainline MedlinePsych0naut must mainline MedlinePsych0naut must mainline MedlinePsych0naut must mainline MedlinePsych0naut must mainline MedlinePsych0naut must mainline MedlinePsych0naut must mainline MedlinePsych0naut must mainline MedlinePsych0naut must mainline Medline
Points: 2,986, Level: 8 Points: 2,986, Level: 8 Points: 2,986, Level: 8
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

It is very easy to extract pure butalbital from Fioricet, and leave out nasty paracetamol and caffeine. Crush up the pills to a fine powder and dissolve them in water, shake the solution for a while so all the caffeine and soluble binders dissolve in the water. Filter the solution and discard the water. Add the remainders to a fresh amount of water and add some lye(sodium hydroxide) and shake well. The butalbital will turn into the water soluble sodium salt and dissolves in the water, the paracetamol stays undissolved, together with the undissolved binders. Filter the solution and keep the solution, discard the filter with the paracetamol and other crap. Now slowly add hydrochloric acid to the solution untill precipitation stops. By adding hydrochloric acid to the sodium butalbital solution the sodium butalbital turns into the unsoluble free base and precipitates. After filtering the solution one is left with practically pure butalbital, free from harmful paracetamol and jittery caffeine, as well as binders!

Post Quality Evaluations:
This subject has come up several times and I don't think anyone has every given an easy extraction: Many thanks
Great extraction technique!
Old 15-10-2007, 17:00
Psychedelic Shepherdess

37 y/o Female from United Kingdom
Jatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 10,860, Level: 15 Points: 10,860, Level: 15 Points: 10,860, Level: 15
Activity: 6.8% Activity: 6.8% Activity: 6.8%
Re: Butalbital Experience Report (and an easy extraction technique)

Every flamingo thinking of using Fioricet for recreational use: Read the above post. Several times, and then read it again.

No flamingo now has an excuse to ingest paracetamol with their barbiturate.
Old 16-10-2007, 01:39
Banned

34 y/o Male

Amen, SWIM did not know that there was a method of extraction for this particular compound! Great post Psychonaut, as SWIM finds it to be a very fun recreational substance, and knows well the harms of APAP. Should SWIM exceed recommended dosage (roughly 1g), he will use this extraction. 1g is the standard dose of OTC Tylenol/APAP in the United States, so he figures it be a small risk.
Old 16-10-2007, 06:56
Banned

25 y/o Male
JaWill88 is a decent psychonaut.JaWill88 is a decent psychonaut.

can bubalbital be injected in water soluble solution? intravenously?
Old 17-10-2007, 14:33
Banned

34 y/o Male

No, even if the following extraction is used, you would not want to inject it. There very well may be remaining APAP, fillers or binders, and god knows what else (lye?!?). Too risky. Plus, the oral bioavailibility of butalbital is very good, so there is not much point in injecting butalbital. In the interest of hard reduction, please dont. Its just not worthing an amputated arm, or worse.

Wise Advice
Old 19-10-2007, 22:15
Gold Member

33 y/o Male from United States
Laudaphun must live here.Laudaphun must live here.Laudaphun must live here.Laudaphun must live here.Laudaphun must live here.Laudaphun must live here.Laudaphun must live here.Laudaphun must live here.
Points: 1,455, Level: 5 Points: 1,455, Level: 5 Points: 1,455, Level: 5
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%

Quote:
However, in the US, these are unscheduled (so long as they are compounded with APAP, otherwise its a Schedule III) so they are easily obtained legally via online pharmacies (mods, let me know if that comment was out of line - I'd like to maintain a good rep on this board).
Is this really true? SWIM was always under the impression that fioricet was schedule 3 in the U.S. Not doubting you, just would like some confirmation on the scheduling.
Old 20-10-2007, 22:14
Banned

34 y/o Male

Yes, it is true, oddly enough. Fioricet- Butalbital/APAP/Caffiene remains unscheduled due to a DEA Scheduling Exception. Other compounds such as FioriNOL- Butalbital/Aspirin/Caffiene ARE Schedule III. Also, Butalbital in its pure form is a Schedule III. This is why you can purchase Fioricet from online pharmacies with ease- its unscheduled along with Tramadol and Carisoprodol.
Old 26-02-2009, 16:39

Male
asd123g is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1

Does anyone have a friend who has successfully tried this extraction? If so, have you received any feedback from them?

This is my first post, so I hope these questions are within the rules
Old 18-03-2009, 06:53

42 y/o Male
BBBoy is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1

SWIM has tried many times in the last days to extract the butalbital from fiorinal C 1/2 containing aspirin (NOT fioricet containing APAP). SWIM has done lots of tests with the CWE. Swim has been carefull to make weight measurements of everything. SWIM tried both the water of the extraction and the aspirin (yes that is a lot of aspirin, sometimes more then 3g in one shot, hello liver damages ) to come to the conclusion that the butalbital must be somehow soluble. Swim extracted many times as much as 10 fiorinals C 1/2, tried the aspirin and swim felt absolutly NOTHING. On the other end the water is very intoxicating. SWIM dosent know if thats just the codeine or if the butalbital is also present. Any way, taking the aspirin thats supposed to be containing the butalbital does nothing...

SIWM is starting to believe that the information that the information about butalbital available everywhere (including the merck ref.) might be the raw material and is modified in the process of making the fiorinals but SWIM dosen't really know. Maybe the butalbital we get in the fiorinal is soluble ?

If anybody has information on this, plz help !
Old 25-03-2009, 01:08

Male
asd123g is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psych0naut View Post
It is very easy to extract pure butalbital from Fioricet, and leave out nasty paracetamol and caffeine. Crush up the pills to a fine powder and dissolve them in water, shake the solution for a while so all the caffeine and soluble binders dissolve in the water. Filter the solution and discard the water. Add the remainders to a fresh amount of water and add some lye(sodium hydroxide) and shake well. The butalbital will turn into the water soluble sodium salt and dissolves in the water, the paracetamol stays undissolved, together with the undissolved binders. Filter the solution and keep the solution, discard the filter with the paracetamol and other crap. Now slowly add hydrochloric acid to the solution untill precipitation stops. By adding hydrochloric acid to the sodium butalbital solution the sodium butalbital turns into the unsoluble free base and precipitates. After filtering the solution one is left with practically pure butalbital, free from harmful paracetamol and jittery caffeine, as well as binders!
Does anyone have SWIM that has successfully tried this inorganic reaction? Or is this some chemistry theory?
Old 13-09-2009, 06:40
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

23 y/o Male from United States
Boca Bitch probably knows what they are talking about.Boca Bitch probably knows what they are talking about.Boca Bitch probably knows what they are talking about.Boca Bitch probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 493, Level: 3 Points: 493, Level: 3 Points: 493, Level: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jatelka View Post
Every flamingo thinking of using Fioricet for recreational use: Read the above post. Several times, and then read it again.

No flamingo now has an excuse to ingest paracetamol with their barbiturate.
SWIM did some research outside of these forums, and is now seriously doubting the CWE method when dealing with barbiturates. Apparently, butalbital is very slightly soluble in room-temp water (20 C), and highly soluble in hot water (100 C).... which is the same as caffeine. Acetaminophen I'm not sure about, but I figure it can't be too far off.
Old 25-09-2009, 07:56
Gold Member

33 y/o Male from United States
Laudaphun must live here.Laudaphun must live here.Laudaphun must live here.Laudaphun must live here.Laudaphun must live here.Laudaphun must live here.Laudaphun must live here.Laudaphun must live here.
Points: 1,455, Level: 5 Points: 1,455, Level: 5 Points: 1,455, Level: 5
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boca Bitch View Post
SWIM did some research outside of these forums, and is now seriously doubting the CWE method when dealing with barbiturates. Apparently, butalbital is very slightly soluble in room-temp water (20 C), and highly soluble in hot water (100 C).... which is the same as caffeine. Acetaminophen I'm not sure about, but I figure it can't be too far off.
SWIM could be wrong, after reading throught the extraction technique, it would seem that it was never suggested to do a mere CWE in order to separate the butalbital from acetaminophen. It states that H2O is used to extract only the caffeine along with H2O soluble binders/fillers.

Note that solution is filtered and discarded, and as opposed to the CWE technique used for codeine, in which the codeine and acetaminophen are easily separated in aqueous phase, the butalbital is retained (still combined with the acetaminophen upon the intial H2O extraction). If you are starting with butalbital/codeine/caffeine/APAP tablets then the technique would remove the not only the caffeine, H2O soluble binders/fillers, but also the codeine. This might explain why someone using these tablets above found the solution from the first extraction to produce effects, as the solution would have the majority of the codeine in it.

However the extraction technique described above uses butalbital/APAP/caffeine tablets as a starting material, which it saws removes only caffeine in the aqueous extraction. The remaining solid material is then added to H2O, and then treated with a base to allow the butalbital to become soluble in the aqueous phase and separated from the acetaminophen. After separation, it then is percipitated from the H2O with an acid. So it is important to note it wasn't suggested to just do a CWE, but rather a CWE followed by an A/B extraction.

Also, just because it works for acetaminophen, does not mean that it will work for aspirin (acetylsalycic acid, which may affect the end result given that it is an acid). The Merck Index lists chemicals in their various forms, and often pharmaceuticals must be made into salts in to be absorbed by the body.

That is all just SWIMs theory based on review of the original suggested technique. SWIM decided to review the literature for herself as she decided a bookshelf 5 feet away wasn't too much effort. According to the Merck Index, it states that Butalbital is:
"practically insoluble in H2O and petroleum ether"
"Soluble in alcohol, chloroform, ether, acetone, glacial acetic acid, and also in solutions of fixed alkali hyxdroxides"
It also notes that a "saturated aqueous solution is acidic when tested on litmus paper."

So the extraction technique seems perfectly reasonable to SWIM. After referencing the data in the Merck it seems to be, in theory a very keen idea for butalbital/caffeine/APAP tablets.

SWIM thinks that preparations containing asprin and/or codeine may require an altered method.
Old 26-01-2012, 06:02

35 y/o Male from United States
natedawg is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 17, Level: 1 Points: 17, Level: 1 Points: 17, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psych0naut View Post
After reading this post last night a person I know decided he would like to try it. He purchased the drain cleaner (which does state clearly 100% lye and further clarifies on the back that it is 100% sodium hydroxide a.k.a NaOH) and some muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid a.k.a HCL) @ a concentration of 31.45% from Lowe's.
The Fioricet 50/325/40 tablets he had were ground to a fine powder and mixed with distilled water. As stated there was a whitish substance left which was supposed to contain the acetaminophen and butalbital.
This was filtered & mixed with 100ml of distilled water and 3g of NaOH which created a concentration of 0.75M.

NOTE: It must be noted here that acetaminophen is soluble in a solution of 1M (1N) sodium hydroxide. The reply above does not specify the concentration sodium hydroxide required to allow the butalbital to dissolve and NOT the acetaminophen which would presumably be <1M.

IMPORTANT: Being outside or in a well ventilated area is highly recommended before handling hydrochloric acid as chlorine vapor is hazardous!

The person informed me there WAS a whitish substance left at the bottom of the glass container after thoroughly mixed the solution. He filtered again and then poured approximately 600ml of muriatic acid into the clear solution in all to attempt and precipitate the pure butalbital. No precipitate of any type was formed.
In light of the fact that acetaminophen is soluble in 1 N concentrations of NaOH he does not think this is a viable method of extracting butalbital without specific information on the amounts of NaOH and strength of the HCL required to initiate the precipitate reaction.

natedawg added 625 Minutes and 40 Seconds later...

to be precisely clear I know this person through online alias only and have no knowledge of his whereabouts or IP information.

While your intentions were good, this thread is 2.5 years old.

Last edited by natedawg; 26-01-2012 at 06:02. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 16-02-2012, 14:34
Silver Member

Male from United States
BigWillyStyle is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 152, Level: 2 Points: 152, Level: 2 Points: 152, Level: 2

So use naOH to pull the barb into solution but not the acetominophen. I get that. 2 questions.

How many moles of naOH per mole of barb is needed to do this?
Will KOH work equally as well or is the resultant salt KCl poisonous?

Thank you!!
Old 11-09-2012, 14:25

32 y/o Male from United States
ouchmyhead is an unknown quantity at this point
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

I would like to elaborate just a bit. Benzos, ie xanax clonapin atavan valium ... work by increasing the Gaba in your brain. Barbiturates work by making use of the Gaba thats there, and by slowing the messages transmitted by neurons I believe. 2 close but different results. In short I recently injested about 9 fioricet. putting me at 2925 mg of tylonel, thinking I was safe. After it hit I felt lovely like I took 6mg of xanax which I am hooked on benzos bad. I then decided that 3 Soma would be fine on top. After that kicked in I lost all muscle control , and ability to properly think. I fell alot within 1 hour. I broke my left ribs the bottom 3. My head was bruised and cut. my Shoulder was the same. All my falls were to the left side. I could not make my own descisions so I kept getting up. I could not talk my speech was severly impaired as well. I was temporarily brain dead it seemed. After my girlfriend called 9-11 for me thinking I had a stroke at 30. They had to put me in the Icu insert tubes down my nose, ivs. foley= cathater. I could not hold my urine at the time. total loss of muscle control. I have never been so messed up. Shocking it was not an overdose. The only thing the Icu was worried about was an excess level of tylenol. I had to be given drugs for 2 days to treat tylenol overdose, called accidental overdose. The second day I wanted to leave I felt fine. They told me I needed a third day in the Icu for Iv meds. I removed my equipment and went to leave. So the police baker acted me. For those of you who dont live in a state that baker acts be happy its at least a 72 hour hold in a psych ward against your will. I ended up doing 7 days total including icu and psych. So if your thinking hey this feels good remember Barbiturates dont work like benzos. They feel similar but they slow and stop neurotransmitters which you need to function. Benzos increase your Gaba. Both can cause seizures during withdrawl. Be careful and educated in what you decide to abuse or use for "fun". This may not do the same to the next person or it may so stay safe.
Old 17-09-2012, 09:16
Silver Member

Male from Earth
BetaCell is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 18, Level: 1 Points: 18, Level: 1 Points: 18, Level: 1

[QUOTE=soma;319676]
Please also note that I am an experienced pharm user- my list looks something like this: Alprazolam, Temazepam, Clonazepam, Diazepam, Lorazepam, Triazolam, Carisoprodol, Hydrocodone, Oxycodone, Morphine, Codiene, Propyloxyphene, Methylphenidate, Amphetamine Salts (Adderall), Levomethylphenidate, and much more. I'm not an unexperienced user feeling a placebo effect

For the sake of clarity I will offer only a few slight spelling corrections. My motivation to correct is to ensure accuracy and is never to minimize the original poster's experience by any means. With that said the following should be 'noted': Codeine is incorrectly spelled but most should have no issue. My concern is the incorrect spelling == "Propyloxyphene" the propyl suggest a few substances yet the spelling and the substances surrounding, within the "resume of substance use" suggest the original poster (perhaps, but probably) meant to indicate "Propoxyphene" which in the U.S. is often prescribed as a combination of APAP and Propoxyphene known as Darvocet. I am mostly concerned because it would not be difficult for one to mistake the misspelling as "Propylhexedrine" which is quite different. Also [not to be a prick, ha] the use of the 'word' unexperienced should actually read "inexperienced". Thanks for the post. Keep it Rad =]
Old 03-12-2012, 21:09

29 y/o Male from United States
TheTwighlight is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually, Fioricet has 50mg butalbital, and 40mg caffeine. Plus the obligatory 325mg APAP. and Fioricet is not controlled. Neither is Phrenilin, which is what I get (50mg butalbital, 325mg APAP). It has to be butalbital on its own to be a schedule 3 substance, although they will often still have you show your ID or sign something.

Share this on:

» New Threads
Anyone pass a lab test 48-55 hours...
Last post by dugi187
11 Replies, 441 Views
Heroin Holiday- taking a break
Last post by junkiegirl110
0 Replies, 1 Views
Heroin Holiday?
Last post by junkiegirl110
5 Replies, 181 Views
Interpreting EZtest results