Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Opiates & Opioids > Heroin
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 08-08-2007, 06:26
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Male from Antigua and Barbuda
vantranist is on the way upvantranist is on the way upvantranist is on the way upvantranist is on the way up
Points: 181, Level: 2 Points: 181, Level: 2 Points: 181, Level: 2
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
So... how bad is heroin for you physicaly, no more BS.

Ive heard from many people that heroin is a physicaly prettysafe drug compared to others, however those lancet "studies" ranked it as the worst drug in the world physicaly aswell as creates the greatest dependance.

so witch is true?
Old 08-08-2007, 06:58
Silver Member

44 y/o Male from United States
methMADMAN is captain of the psychonauts.methMADMAN is captain of the psychonauts.
Re: So... how bad is heroin for you physicaly, no more BS.

Assuming one does not overdose or neglect oneself, heroin is very safe and causes almost no trauma to the body. Factor in the OD potential and the way junkies neglect themselves and it becomes much more dangerous.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:21

Male from United States
merc11292 is an unknown quantity at this point

the danger in heroin is u cant trust street heroin, but it really is almost identical to morphine, if someone had say pharmaceutical grade heroin, clean syringes, chipped with it not shot up 5 times a day. Then yes its believed to be quite safe its all a matter of the quality and the users ability to judge there tolerance. i read a very well researched article on the safety of it a while back, and it said the junkie lifestyle is really what makes it dangerous, it even mentioned that a founder of Johns Hopkins was a morphine addict for a very long time and died a natural death with nothing wrong with his organs and what not on the autopsy, and like a said above morphine and heroin are alot alike. Ive heard the only real problems come from the way it effects your brains ability to perceive pain making it more intense, and its effects on the brain are even less than that of high doses of oxycontin.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:29
Silver Member

methMADMAN is captain of the psychonauts.methMADMAN is captain of the psychonauts.

The actual difference between heroin and morphine is that chemically morphine needs to be metabolized by the liver once before it can pass through the "blood brain barrier". Heroin goes straight through. This is what makes heroin more addictive, as it is much quicker of a high.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:54

Male from Antigua and Barbuda
vantranist is on the way upvantranist is on the way upvantranist is on the way upvantranist is on the way up
Points: 181, Level: 2 Points: 181, Level: 2 Points: 181, Level: 2

SWIM also heard that once it passed the BBB it turns into morphine or atleast has the same function... same high but the speed makes it much more pleasurable.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:02
Platinum Member

Male from Netherlands
Psych0naut must mainline MedlinePsych0naut must mainline MedlinePsych0naut must mainline MedlinePsych0naut must mainline MedlinePsych0naut must mainline MedlinePsych0naut must mainline MedlinePsych0naut must mainline MedlinePsych0naut must mainline MedlinePsych0naut must mainline MedlinePsych0naut must mainline MedlinePsych0naut must mainline Medline
Points: 2,986, Level: 8 Points: 2,986, Level: 8 Points: 2,986, Level: 8

Pure heroin does barely to no damage to your body in the long run. But the problem is street heroin is never pure, though this can be purified very easily. The junky lifestyle also isn't a healthy one, but this can be avoided, eat well and take care of your body like everyone else does, and you'll look healthy.
Old 08-08-2007, 13:01
Silver Member

Male from United States
mictihtoya is a decent psychonaut.mictihtoya is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 20, Level: 1 Points: 20, Level: 1 Points: 20, Level: 1

Heroin and morphine are non-toxic chemicals. They don't cause ANY damage to your organs or brain besides your intestines (yes, constipation and irregularity can potentially cause physical damage to your intestines). Morphine is an endogenous opioid as well, it's found naturally in human blood in small amounts.

Street heroin's purity has little to nothing to do with the perceived harmfulness of heroin, either. Heroin's almost always cut with inactives or non-toxic drugs.
Old 08-08-2007, 13:15
Banned

Male
elscorcho717 should review received reputation comments.
Points: 40, Level: 1 Points: 40, Level: 1 Points: 40, Level: 1

Don't forget the risks associated with IV drug use.
Old 08-08-2007, 15:14
Palladium Member

Male from United States
imyourlittlebare really knows their shit.imyourlittlebare really knows their shit.imyourlittlebare really knows their shit.imyourlittlebare really knows their shit.imyourlittlebare really knows their shit.imyourlittlebare really knows their shit.imyourlittlebare really knows their shit.imyourlittlebare really knows their shit.imyourlittlebare really knows their shit.imyourlittlebare really knows their shit.
Points: 1,875, Level: 6 Points: 1,875, Level: 6 Points: 1,875, Level: 6

heroin is morphine with an extra chemical group that allows it to travel much quicker through the bbb. morphine doesnt have to be altered in anyway to get through its just much slower and is broken down much easier in the body. heroin is a bad drug physically. The reason there is such a thing as methadone maintanance is because people who studied it and made this sort of treatment made it because there is good research showing that there is lasting changes in the brain. A single dose of morphine is enough to begin the changes in the brain. These changes include the destruction of the bodys own mu receptors (morphine receptors where your bodys endorphins as well as opiates bind to). The pleasure center of your brain destroys many of its connections so when you kick the habit, its very unlikely that you feel alot of pleasure in anything. Withdrawal is another thing. The fever can be bad enough to cause some sort of damage and anything that hurts that much OBVIOUSLY isnt good for you. Swim is an avid user of opiates and ignores the rick because he started well before his career in neuroscience. however, swim cant lie and tell you that the research is wrong. heroin is not a good drug.
Old 08-08-2007, 15:37
Silver Member

Funny that I studied this whilst training to be a CDC and heard none of this "research".
Old 08-08-2007, 15:42
Palladium Member

Male from United States
imyourlittlebare really knows their shit.imyourlittlebare really knows their shit.imyourlittlebare really knows their shit.imyourlittlebare really knows their shit.imyourlittlebare really knows their shit.imyourlittlebare really knows their shit.imyourlittlebare really knows their shit.imyourlittlebare really knows their shit.imyourlittlebare really knows their shit.imyourlittlebare really knows their shit.

wait 15 minutes and ill manage to get a bunch of links. you obviously turned a blind eye or just didnt look very hard.
Old 08-08-2007, 15:47
Palladium Member

Male from United States

http://www.brightsurf.com/news/headl...the_Brain.html - you can look up the actual article but working with painkillers myself i know its true. say what you want

http://www.medscape.com/medline/abstract/10400894

heres this for starters and i can get more
Old 08-08-2007, 15:59
Silver Member

Ok first off don't take it so personally, I didn't say "imyourlittlebare is an idiot!" I merely said that I didn't get these studies, but on more careful reflection my training was around 12 years ago. And secondly, perhaps it makes some changes but in my experience it isn't 1/2 as devastating to ones mental state as chronic methamphetamine use. And in both cases I know that the damage is not usually permanent.
Old 08-08-2007, 16:03
Palladium Member

Male from United States

sorry. i shouldnt have gotten defensive. in research you have to be though. meth isnt as bad. the effects are about 6 months after in the brain. i mean swim loves opiates. LOVES them. swim just has been getting frustrated with people, esp pot heads, who ignore the risks and pick and choose what they believe and i was under the misconception you were like that. but its understandable if it was 12 years ago. there is ALOT of amazing research in the opiate field about tolerance and addiction. its actually two different neural pathways lol. but yeah theres lots of research out there check it out
Old 09-08-2007, 09:33
Titanium Member

Male from United States
keats is captain of the psychonauts.keats is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 374, Level: 3 Points: 374, Level: 3 Points: 374, Level: 3

Meth's not as bad? That's absolute nonsense. It all depends on the person and the amount being taken, but meth is absolutely not a better, safer, or less harmful drug than heroin, or anything else. SWIM has known many addicts of both drugs, and meth addicts are way worse than junkies. Most of the heroin addicts he's known have recovered, most of the meth addicts he knows are dying of it or are in and out of rehab. Meth addicts's life style's are even worse than junkies, they eat less, sleep less, and look much worse than junkies a few months into a serious addiction. SWIM certainly isn't trying to lessen the damage heroin causes; it's a nasty drug. But let's not downgrade meth a notch below anything, other than crack it's the worst drug in the book if you ask SWIM.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:18
Palladium Member

25 y/o Male from Finland
psyche must live here.psyche must live here.psyche must live here.psyche must live here.psyche must live here.psyche must live here.psyche must live here.psyche must live here.
Points: 1,847, Level: 6 Points: 1,847, Level: 6 Points: 1,847, Level: 6

Heroin alters your brain structure? That's new to me, but since studies have failed to find heroin causing mental detoriation or other serious damage that study should be taken as what it is and avoid drawing I-feel-conclusions. Remember LSD and the chromosome damage? Sounds bad. Changes in the brain due to morphine? Can't be anything short of serious. By the way, what was the actual story of the LSD scare-studys? Because I remember reading that they were completely flawed, and then I've read that it's true but misleading, as caffeine causes a lot more chromosomal damage, and it isn't anything abnormal or dangerous.
Old 09-08-2007, 15:42

Male from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyche View Post
Heroin alters your brain structure? That's new to me, but since studies have failed to find heroin causing mental detoriation or other serious damage that study should be taken as what it is and avoid drawing I-feel-conclusions. Remember LSD and the chromosome damage? Sounds bad. Changes in the brain due to morphine? Can't be anything short of serious. By the way, what was the actual story of the LSD scare-studys? Because I remember reading that they were completely flawed, and then I've read that it's true but misleading, as caffeine causes a lot more chromosomal damage, and it isn't anything abnormal or dangerous.

i just skimmed through so idk where it said it heroin changes ur brain but, morphine, tobacco, and cocaine can all alter your brain somehow, i think only DNA is changed like meaning you would pass down genes making your kids more susceptible to addiction or its not that significant brain altering but i could be wrong, or misinterpriting this but seeing as morphine and heroin are basically the same then the said brain changes would prolly be the same with heroin, i read this on wikipedia though so it could definatly be BS.
Old 09-08-2007, 15:55
Banned

Male
elscorcho717 should review received reputation comments.
Points: 40, Level: 1 Points: 40, Level: 1 Points: 40, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc11292 View Post
i just skimmed through so idk where it said it heroin changes ur brain but, morphine, tobacco, and cocaine can all alter your brain somehow, i think only DNA is changed like meaning you would pass down genes making your kids more susceptible to addiction or its not that significant brain altering but i could be wrong, or misinterpriting this but seeing as morphine and heroin are basically the same then the said brain changes would prolly be the same with heroin, i read this on wikipedia though so it could definatly be BS.
Doesn't make sense. Drug addiction won't change your DNA and make your kids more susceptible to addiction. Rather, if you're a drug addict you already have the genes that predispose you to be addicted, and you pass those on to your kids along with all the rest of your genetic material. The only significant brain altering that an addiction will cause (besides cases of psychosis in people with pre-existing mental conditions) is tolerance. If you take heroin or MDMA every day, then your brain is used to not having to make its own serotonin/endorphins and when you cease using the drug your levels of those chemicals will be artificially low.
Old 09-08-2007, 19:52
Titanium Member

Male from United States
keats is captain of the psychonauts.keats is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 374, Level: 3 Points: 374, Level: 3 Points: 374, Level: 3

Well careful there, elscorcho. You're right to say that heroin doesn't alter brain chemistry in the manner being suggested, and the same goes for most drug addictions, but MDMA is something different. Extreme, prolonged MDMA abuse can lead to permanent changes in brain chemistry. Heroin addicts who clean up their act may still be a mess mentally, suffering from depression or anxiety as a result of trying to stay clean. MDMA, on the other hand, isn't physically addictive, but you do it often enough and long enough and, well...let's just say I think we've all met e-tards.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:21

Male from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by elscorcho717 View Post
Doesn't make sense. Drug addiction won't change your DNA and make your kids more susceptible to addiction. Rather, if you're a drug addict you already have the genes that predispose you to be addicted, and you pass those on to your kids along with all the rest of your genetic material. The only significant brain altering that an addiction will cause (besides cases of psychosis in people with pre-existing mental conditions) is tolerance. If you take heroin or MDMA every day, then your brain is used to not having to make its own serotonin/endorphins and when you cease using the drug your levels of those chemicals will be artificially low.

well like i said the article i read may not have been reliable but i dint mention addiction effects like u did above i said gene change in use in general being it once or 100 times, and i mite have misinterpritted it, or just been way off, but i am positive those 3 particle drugs (cocaine, tobacco, morphine) alter your brain in some form, short term of long term i just assumed it being hereditary, because theres a huge increased chance of drug use and alcoholism in those who have parents or grandparents that drank or did drugs.

heres what the article said:

Gene expression

Studies have shown that morphine can alter the expression of certain genes in human DNA. A single injection of morphine has been shown to alter the expression of two major groups of genes, for proteins involved in mitochondrial respiration and for cytoskeleton-related proteins.

i dont know much on the subject of DNA so i could be way off i just thought id share what i did read. If anyone understands exactly what those genes involve mentioned above do id love an explanation.

my reply btw is in no way meant to be argumentative towards you elscorcho717

Post Quality Evaluations:
good point
Old 10-08-2007, 09:29
Silver Member

Male from United Kingdom
cz-one is a decent psychonaut.cz-one is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 325, Level: 2 Points: 325, Level: 2 Points: 325, Level: 2
Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4%

I believe the research concerning opiates causing physical brain changes,goes along the lines that the neurotranmitters adapt themselves to being bathed in heroin and when that is taken away all the inhibited noradrenaline thats had to pump like crazy to get through being hindered in its job by the opiates,continues to,thus causing the physical withdrawal syndrome,and the fact that when addicts quit,even though they get through the worst of it,theres still many months of depression and emptiness after that,this,supposedly, is due to prolonged use causing physical changes in the brain,the question now is-are those changes permanent,or can your brain chemistry repair itself? there's theories going round that are starting to sound like drug war rheotoric-i.e."using opiates even once causes changes in the brain",but then again,as with all drugs,you ARE f**king about with a finely tuned brain chemistry,and there will always be those who suffer a hell of a lot more serious damage than the majority,so-just say no/yes/whatever!!!! as far actual DNA changes? who knows?
Old 16-08-2007, 05:01
Palladium Member

Male from United States

if you look up LTP and morphine you will find an assortment of literature to suggest that it does permanently alter brain chemistry. here is a sample abstract of one such study

J

JOURNAL OF NEUROSCIENCE METHODS 124 (2): 189-196 APR 15 2003
Year: 2003 Abstract: Using a long-term potentiation (LTP) method, we attempted to establish an electrophysiological assay for morphine dependence and withdrawal in rats in vitro. The field excitatory postsynaptic potential (fEPSP) and orthodromic population spikes (OPS) were recorded from stratums radiatum and pyramidale, respectively, of area CA1 following stimulation of Schaffer collaterals in control and morphine-dependent slices. To induce LTP, a 100 Hz primed-burst stimulation protocol was used. Although morphine exposure had excitatory effects on control slices, namely, an increase in the amplitude of primary population spikes (PSs) and appearance of extra PSs, slices taken from dependent rats demonstrated tolerance to morphine. LTP of the fEPSP was not changed in slices from dependent animals although dependent slices did show an enhanced OPS LTP compared to control ones, which was attenuated by morphine exposure. In the presence of morphine, naloxone caused a withdrawal phenomenon; apparent as a robust enhanced OPS LTP in dependent slices. So we propose morphine-naloxone withdrawn slices as a suitable in vitro withdrawal-like model. Such an in vitro preparation could provide a convenient practical experimental tool for examination of the probable molecular and cellular mechanisms involved in withdrawal states. (C) 2003 Elsevier Science B.V. All rights reserved.
Old 16-08-2007, 05:03
Palladium Member

Male from United States

BRAIN RESEARCH 815 (2): 419-423 JAN 9 1999 Year: 1999 Abstract: In this study, the effects of chronic morphine administration (20-30 days) on long-term potentiation (LTP) were investigated at the Schaffer collateral-CA1 pyramidal cell synapses of the rat hippocampal slices. Orthodromic population spike (OPS) amplitude and delay (peak latency) were measured as indices of increase in synaptic efficacy. The amounts of LTP of OPS delay and LTP of OPS amplitude were higher in slices from dependent rats. Perfusion of slices from control and dependent rats with morphine containing ACSF and delivering tetanic stimulation, showed that short-term presence of morphine could not mimic the LTP enhancing effects of chronic morphine administration, however, attenuated the amount of LTP of OPS amplitude in slices of dependent rats. This study supports the hypothesis that the susceptibility of CAI synapses to plastic changes increases by chronic, not acute exposure to morphine and suggests that a withdrawal phenomenon might be an underlying mechanism for the observed augmented LTP of OPS amplitude in slices of dependent rats. (C) 1999 Elsevier Science B.V. All rights reserved.
Old 16-08-2007, 05:04
Palladium Member

Male from United States

Current status of drug dependence/abuse studies: Cellular and molecular mechanisms of drugs of abuse and neurotoxicity. p.414-423 Year: 2004 Abstract: The long-lasting effects of exposure to drugs of abuse on the brain is a central theme in drug addiction research. This study was designed to evaluate whether enduring neurochemical adaptations within caudate putamen can be evoked by a single injection of a high dose of morphine. Rats were pretreated once with 10 mg/kg morphine. Seven days later the effect of another injection of 10 mg/kg morphine on total levels of dopamine (DA), 3,4-dihydroxyphenylacetic acid (DOPAC), and homovanilic acid (HVA) in caudate putamen was assessed in half the pretreated animals. An irreversible μ-opioid receptor antagonist, cloccinamox (C-CAM; 0.1 mg/kg), significantly antagonized the elevation of the HVA/DA ratio, but not the elevation of the DOPAC/DA ratio induced by morphine in the caudate putamen from drug-naive animals. Pretreatment with morphine blunted changes in the HVA/DA ratio induced by another morphine challenge, but it had no effect on the DOPAC/DA ratio within the caudate putamen. Therefore, a single dose of 10 mg/kg morphine hampered nigrostriatal DA release and extraneuronal metabolism, μ-opioid receptor mediated, on another 10 mg/kg morphine challenge.
Old 16-08-2007, 05:06
Palladium Member

Male from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by keats View Post
Meth's not as bad? That's absolute nonsense. It all depends on the person and the amount being taken, but meth is absolutely not a better, safer, or less harmful drug than heroin, or anything else. SWIM has known many addicts of both drugs, and meth addicts are way worse than junkies. Most of the heroin addicts he's known have recovered, most of the meth addicts he knows are dying of it or are in and out of rehab. Meth addicts's life style's are even worse than junkies, they eat less, sleep less, and look much worse than junkies a few months into a serious addiction. SWIM certainly isn't trying to lessen the damage heroin causes; it's a nasty drug. But let's not downgrade meth a notch below anything, other than crack it's the worst drug in the book if you ask SWIM.
its a nasty drug but changes in the brain are less lasting and less damaging compared to how quickly opiates tend to change the brain. meth is bad though. mmmkay?

Share this on:

Tags
addiction, brain chemistry, china, china white, china white heroin, drug, heroin, heroin a, heroin addiction, heroin harmful effects, heroin health effects, heroin safety, heroin side effects, heroine, meth, opiate harmful effects, white heroin