Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Dissociatives > DXM
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

DXM Dextromethorphan

Old 24-06-2007, 05:41

25 y/o Male
voodoo child should review received reputation comments.
Points: 165, Level: 2 Points: 165, Level: 2 Points: 165, Level: 2
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Sertraline (Zoloft) and DXM or Lortab (Hydrocodone)

SWIM's been taking about 100 mg of Zoloft for a year and a half now. He's never taken DXM because of it, because he heard that the reaction was violent. Is there any truth to that?

Also, SWIM's recently come across some Lortabs and wants to ingest them tomorrow before his college orientation, to help relax him. He's still actively using Zoloft, so will that have any effect on his Lortab experience? Positive or negative?

Thanks.
Old 24-06-2007, 10:23
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Male from United Kingdom
Micklemouse is a true resource and beyond reputeMicklemouse is a true resource and beyond reputeMicklemouse is a true resource and beyond reputeMicklemouse is a true resource and beyond reputeMicklemouse is a true resource and beyond reputeMicklemouse is a true resource and beyond reputeMicklemouse is a true resource and beyond reputeMicklemouse is a true resource and beyond reputeMicklemouse is a true resource and beyond reputeMicklemouse is a true resource and beyond reputeMicklemouse is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 6,283, Level: 11 Points: 6,283, Level: 11 Points: 6,283, Level: 11
Activity: 4.3% Activity: 4.3% Activity: 4.3%
Re: Sertraline (Zoloft) and DXM or Lortab

Please post the generic or chemical name for Lortab, adding to the topic title too.

An adverse reaction (Serotonin Syndrome) appears a possibility between SSRI's & pretty much all synthetic opioids, of which dextromethorphan is one. Others include Tramadol & Pethidine (meperidine). There have also been cases of Serotonin Syndrome attributed to Oxycodone mixed in with Fluvoxamine.

http://www.theannals.com/cgi/content/abstract/40/1/155
Old 24-06-2007, 10:43

25 y/o Male
voodoo child should review received reputation comments.
Points: 165, Level: 2 Points: 165, Level: 2 Points: 165, Level: 2

Thanks.

Lortab = Hydrocodone = 4,5a-Epoxy-3-methoxy-17-methylmorphinan-6-one

SWIM's taken Zoloft simultaneously with meperidine before and didn't experience any negative side effects, so is it safe to assume that Lortab would be similar?
Old 06-08-2007, 00:27
Silver Member

28 y/o Male from United States
jcdjinn is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 44, Level: 1 Points: 44, Level: 1 Points: 44, Level: 1

SWIM has been taking 100 mg of sertraline every day for over a year. He trips on between 300-500 mg of DXM about once a month and the experience doesn't seem any different than before he began taking the ssri.
Old 15-08-2007, 22:55
Gold Member

Female from Earth
toe really adds to the discussion.toe really adds to the discussion.toe really adds to the discussion.toe really adds to the discussion.toe really adds to the discussion.toe really adds to the discussion.toe really adds to the discussion.
Points: 959, Level: 4 Points: 959, Level: 4 Points: 959, Level: 4

:The OP's a bit dated, so I thought I'd throw in some info that could serve anyone reading up on partying on psych meds. . .

My azaleas actually found a slightly perceptable decrease in opiate tolerance when she kicked her sertraline dose back up to 100 from 75 last round when she was on it. It seems to decrease tolerance to many things- with the exception of MDMA*, of course, so that's not a worry. No reason to assume SWIvoodoo would not experience the same with hydrocodone.

Although this answer is late in arriving, the rhododendrens would honestly have to advice *against* experimenting with a powerful psychedelic or disassociative for the first time (or even necessarily the first time in a long time) while initially under psychiatric treatment. Not to say that there are any specific side effects, but both the trip and the rX work entirely inside your mind and things can get a bit complicated in there.

If SWIY absolutely MUST research a new substance for the first time after being diagnosed and put on psychiatric meds, please:
a) Research, research, research. SWIY must ensure that there are no life-threatening interactions between the script and the substance**. b)Communicate- SWIY absolutely *must* be guaranteed the company of another person with experience in the substance for the duration of the trip. SWIY really needn't say a whole lot more than "it's my first time trying $%-FHT, I would really like the company and someone to keep me from being arrested for public nudity."

*Interesting fact, there was a paper found on erowid a few years back mentioning that the effects of MDMA might still be vagually perceptable at miniscule doses ~25mg. Interestingly enough, I didn't read this until *after* a little green man had popped out of my radiator to relate his experience of taking ecstacy with friends while still on the starter dose of 25mg. The little green man has come back several times over the years to point out that taking MDMA at any higher dose of sertraline, venlefaxine, and es/citalopram are entirely useless.
**Right, so if your medications include an MAOI or Lithium, you'd do best to hang around a different forum until you can at least get an upgrade to tri-cyclics and anti-convulsants. Until then, there are *very* few options that can be taken along with the former and not present immediate harm to the body.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:20
Silver Member

Male from United States
cornsail is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 57, Level: 1 Points: 57, Level: 1 Points: 57, Level: 1

A friend of mine had one of his most memorable experiences with this combination. He 2nded plateaued on dxm, consuming one bottle of maximum strength cough syrup (can't remember the exact amount in one bottle) while on 100mg of zoloft per day. He was stupid to do this considering he hadn't researched any potential interactions between the two. An interesting thing about his experience is that prior to it, he wasn't sure the zoloft was doing anything for him and afterward he had a very different opinion.

His trip was normal, except perhaps a bit more poignantly emotional. He started reflected on the past and suddenly had the strong feeling of remembering his "true self" and realizing that he had lost it. He couldn't remember when he'd lost it, but he knew it had been gone for some time. He felt he had become like a numb robotic entity with no true creativity.

The next day my friend reflected on the experience and concluded that dxm had made him aware of the effect zoloft was having on him. SSRIs can be subtle and hard to notice for some people. But there is a numbness that's there if you know where to look for it. It curbs depression yes, but it curbs every other emotion as well. Without emotion we're nothing but robots. That is his take on Zoloft, anyway, I'm sure it effects different people in different ways. Even though it was a stupid thing to do, my friend is grateful for the experience and has since decided to gradually ease off of the stuff.

Another interpretation would be that my friend was delusional, what he thought was his "true self" was merely how he interpreted his state of mind under the influence of dxm and this would have happened regardless of whether he was on the medication.

I find the first explination more likely, because he's done dxm many times before being prescribed zoloft and never had this experience. Also his post-dxm analysis of the effects of zoloft are consistent with what I've heard from other people who only realized the effects of their SSRIs after getting off them.
Old 04-05-2010, 16:33

Male from Australia
AzNDuDe is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1

thx for sharing the xp !!
lol ! guess u summeried what DXM does , it helps u explore your thinking and personality !
swim done DXM while on alot of other meds.
swim haven't yet done DXM and Zoloft yet.
swim have done DXM with lexapro ( classed in the same SSRI category as Zoloft)
swim can say from my experience that I didn't find it very enjoyable.What swim mean is the CEVs weren't as "vivid"
This is the combination of DXM and lexapro and not Zoloft. swim read somewhere that these share the same liver enzyme.
swim may one day plan to try a trip with DXM while on Zoloft and share my experiences , since swim read of a few people hallucinating on higher doses of Zoloft

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsail View Post
A friend of mine had one of his most memorable experiences with this combination. He 2nded plateaued on dxm, consuming one bottle of maximum strength cough syrup (can't remember the exact amount in one bottle) while on 100mg of zoloft per day. He was stupid to do this considering he hadn't researched any potential interactions between the two. An interesting thing about his experience is that prior to it, he wasn't sure the zoloft was doing anything for him and afterward he had a very different opinion.

His trip was normal, except perhaps a bit more poignantly emotional. He started reflected on the past and suddenly had the strong feeling of remembering his "true self" and realizing that he had lost it. He couldn't remember when he'd lost it, but he knew it had been gone for some time. He felt he had become like a numb robotic entity with no true creativity.

The next day my friend reflected on the experience and concluded that dxm had made him aware of the effect zoloft was having on him. SSRIs can be subtle and hard to notice for some people. But there is a numbness that's there if you know where to look for it. It curbs depression yes, but it curbs every other emotion as well. Without emotion we're nothing but robots. That is his take on Zoloft, anyway, I'm sure it effects different people in different ways. Even though it was a stupid thing to do, my friend is grateful for the experience and has since decided to gradually ease off of the stuff.

Another interpretation would be that my friend was delusional, what he thought was his "true self" was merely how he interpreted his state of mind under the influence of dxm and this would have happened regardless of whether he was on the medication.

I find the first explination more likely, because he's done dxm many times before being prescribed zoloft and never had this experience. Also his post-dxm analysis of the effects of zoloft are consistent with what I've heard from other people who only realized the effects of their SSRIs after getting off them.

Share this on:

Tags
drugs, dxm and hydrocodone and sertraline, dxm and opioids, dxm and ssri

» New Threads
Loperamide slowly after trying...
Last post by Roaddoggy
67 Replies, 2,174 Views
Chronic Pain- Off Percocet- Scared...
Last post by Roaddoggy
140 Replies, 5,011 Views
Detoxing off Methadone
Last post by LuLu81