Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Downers and sleeping pills > Benzodiazepines
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Benzodiazepines All about benzodiazepines (downers)

Old 25-04-2007, 15:11
Silver Member

Male from Earth
testodan is on the way uptestodan is on the way uptestodan is on the way up
Benzodiazepines and appetite increase

Have SWIY ever experienced appetite increase from benzo consumption?(alone without combining with anything else)If yes from which benzo.
Swim finds Xanax giviving him a little increase in appetite whilst klonopin the opposite and zopiclone as well,but let us discuss about pure benzos like Xanax,flunitrazepam etc.
Old 25-04-2007, 21:29
Gold Member

33 y/o Male from United States
Laudaphun must live here.Laudaphun must live here.Laudaphun must live here.Laudaphun must live here.Laudaphun must live here.Laudaphun must live here.Laudaphun must live here.Laudaphun must live here.
Points: 1,455, Level: 5 Points: 1,455, Level: 5 Points: 1,455, Level: 5
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%
Re: Benzos and appettite increase

SWIM is prescribed temezapam 30mg for sleep... and finds that he always wakes up in the middle of the night and consumes a small feast. SWIM doesn't remember this with any other benzos.... although another factor to consider is that SWIM will make sure his stomach is empty when he has to a temezapam, to ensure speedy absorption. SWIM takes suboxone everyday, but no other drugs.
Old 25-04-2007, 21:55
Silver Member

Male from Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laudaphun View Post
SWIM is prescribed temezapam 30mg for sleep... and finds that he always wakes up in the middle of the night and consumes a small feast. SWIM doesn't remember this with any other benzos.... although another factor to consider is that SWIM will make sure his stomach is empty when he has to a temezapam, to ensure speedy absorption. SWIM takes suboxone everyday, but no other drugs.
So is a chance that your empty stomach drives you to eat but not for sure,it can be the Tamazepam though.
Old 25-04-2007, 21:58
Silver Member

Male from Earth

Anyone else?
Old 25-04-2007, 22:20
Gold Member

33 y/o Male from United States
Laudaphun must live here.Laudaphun must live here.Laudaphun must live here.Laudaphun must live here.Laudaphun must live here.Laudaphun must live here.Laudaphun must live here.Laudaphun must live here.
Points: 1,455, Level: 5 Points: 1,455, Level: 5 Points: 1,455, Level: 5
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%

SWIM is 100% sure that the temezapam gives him the munchies, he just doesn't know to what extent having an empty stomach may enhance this. SWIM has an empty stomach many times when he does not take temazepam and this might cause him to eat, but not eat 3 times what he normally would (at strange hours of the day SWIM might add like the temaz causes).
Old 25-04-2007, 22:27
Silver Member

Male from Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laudaphun View Post
SWIM is 100% sure that the temezapam gives him the munchies, he just doesn't know to what extent having an empty stomach may enhance this. SWIM has an empty stomach many times when he does not take temazepam and this might cause him to eat, but not eat 3 times what he normally would (at strange hours of the day SWIM might add like the temaz causes).
Have you noticed munchies form othr benzos?
Old 16-10-2012, 09:33
Silver Member

Male from USA - Washington
stasik is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 309, Level: 2 Points: 309, Level: 2 Points: 309, Level: 2
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Benzodiazepines and appetite increase

If anyone is still wondering, I have a huge increase in appetite with both Temazepam and Xanax. I've heard the same from two other people, and benzo use is extremely rare in my social circles. From personal experience, I can only conclude that the munchies are a fairly common side effect of popping benzos.
Old 16-10-2012, 11:51
Silver Member

38 y/o Male from United States
JJ1234 is captain of the psychonauts.JJ1234 is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 286, Level: 2 Points: 286, Level: 2 Points: 286, Level: 2

I get severe munchies from Xanax. If I over do it sometimes I will sleep walk/black out and wake up with the fridge door open and peanut butter smeared all over the cupboards. At normal doses(1-2mg) it gives me non black out munchies similar to marijuana or even better comparison would bee the alcohol munchies.

BTW this holds true to some extent at least with all benzos tried.This includes Clonazepam, Temazepam,
Diazepam(Valium), Alprazolam(Xanax), and Phenazepam. Also with etizolam, Carisoprodol(Soma), alcohol, Quetiapine(Seroquel), and GHB. So pretty much any downer for me causes this. I have been known to black out eat on all of the above without any help from another drug at high enough doses. Maybe one exception is Carisoprodol and that still gives me the munchies none the less.

So no you are not alone.

Edit: Oh yeah after reading the post below I will add Zolpidem(Ambien) and Eszopiclone(Lunesta) to the list.

Last edited by JJ1234; 16-10-2012 at 13:09.
Old 16-10-2012, 12:42
Silver Member

Male from Earth
Horned Demon-Monkey is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 315, Level: 2 Points: 315, Level: 2 Points: 315, Level: 2

Alprazolam (Xanax) indeed increases appetite quite a lot. Then again, some people lose appetite while being anxious: so it may be partly from the anxiolytic effect. The appetite increase seems to be consistent with tolerance as lower doses won't produce such effect if one has high(er) tolerance.

Not sure about other benzodiazepines as experience with them is very limited.

Also, while not benzodiazepines, Quetiapine (Seroquel, Ketipinor) and Zolpidem (Ambien) seem to have similar effects.

Edit:
I found an interesting study on this topic (more specifically regarding alprazolam) from our archives:
M. Haney, S.D. Comer, M.W. Fischman, R.W. Foltin (1997) " Alprazolam increases food intake in humans ". Psychopharmacology (1997) 132 : 311–314

Abstract
Quote:
The present study investigated the effect of alprazolam on the pattern of food intake in seven male participants living in a residential laboratory for 17 days. A wide selection of meals, snacks and beverages was freely available. Capsule administration occurred at 1300 and 1730 hours. Food intake on days when alprazolam (0.75 mg) was administered (days 2, 11) was compared to days when no capsule (days 1, 9) or placebo (days 3, 10) was administered. Alprazolam increased total caloric intake by approximately 975 kcal from a baseline of 2800 kcal. Alprazolam increased the number of eating occasions occurring in the evening (1700-2330 hour), without altering the size of eating occasions (kcal), or the proportion of total calories derived from carbohydrate, fat and protein. These data demonstrate alprazolam's robust effects on food intake in humans.

Last edited by Horned Demon-Monkey; 19-10-2012 at 10:50. Reason: New information found regarding the topic and I'm the last poster (don't want to double-post).
Old 28-10-2012, 20:22
Silver Member

31 y/o Male from United States
joeshadow is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 63, Level: 1 Points: 63, Level: 1 Points: 63, Level: 1
Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1%

I get munchies on many benzos when used sporadically or for one or two days maximum, after that they seem to go away. It also appears to be most prominent on xanax. Its strange, because I hardly ever get the drunk munchies but I will with benzos that is for sure. This is a pretty common effect though, I have seen it lots of time. I remember being in high school and college and eating benzos with friends would always lead to them ending up to a pack of us walking to a restaurant.. good times. We must have looked like such a group of goofballs.

Its not as bad as Seroquel though... I used to take a small dose for sleep and would almost always need to go get some type of food. Usually either sweets or something like crackers. I have a fast metabolism, so thankfully this isn't as much of a problem.

Share this on:

Tags
alcohol, alprazolam, alprazolam effects, alprazolam experiences, alprazolam side effects, ambien, anorexia, anorexia nervosa, cannabis, carisoprodol, clonazepam, clonazepam effects, diazepam, diazepam (valium), diazepam effects, diazepam experiences, downers, etizolam, flunitrazepam, flunitrazepam effects, food addiction, food and drug administration, gaba, marijuana, munchies, phenazepam, pot, prescription drug, prescription drug use, prescription drugs, quetiapine, seroquel, side effects, soma, temazepam, valium, xanax, xanax side effects, zolpidem