Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > VARIOUS DRUG RELATED TOPICS > The euphoric body > Pharmacology
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Pharmacology How drugs affect the workings of the human body.

Old 17-03-2007, 10:27

25 y/o Male
Votorx needs to post very carefully to avoid a ban by negative reputation.
Snorting Pills

I would like to know the effects of snorting extended release pills. I know the fillers are no good for you, but I was wondering what exactly it effects. The nose membrane? The lungs? Both? and why?
Old 17-03-2007, 11:24

25 y/o Male
Votorx needs to post very carefully to avoid a ban by negative reputation.
Re: Snorting Pills

1) Is it possible to edit in these forums?
2) I should be more specific. I wanted to know if the extended release barrier was fat or water soluble then the effects of its solubility on either the lungs or nasal cavity. Also, where its absorbed since I haven't gotten a clear site. Then lastly the effects of an insoluble substance in the lungs or nasal cavity and how its cleaned from the system there after.

Thanks for the help
Old 17-03-2007, 19:45
Silver Member

Male from Ireland
Bildo is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 32, Level: 1 Points: 32, Level: 1 Points: 32, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

General advice is just don't do it. Pills are designed to be digested in the stomack which is a highly acidic environment. It is usual for pills to be filled with ammonia and other such nasty chemicals that wouldn't last a second in the stomach, you wouldn't want them stuck in your nasel passage.

Insoluable matter lodged in the lungs is going to make you cough and cough and cough untill it's out. You don't want to be coughing up weird chemical fillers.
Old 26-06-2007, 16:55
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

24 y/o Male
josh_lala is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 9, Level: 1 Points: 9, Level: 1 Points: 9, Level: 1

ecstacy pills (I know you didn't mention them specifically, but they are the only pills I know about in this context) contain MDMA in fair amounts however vary in the concentrations of other substances. Crushing the pills and snorting them is not a good idea because the other molecules in the pills are large and fair amounts remain in your nose. It is a painful method of taking ecstacy and in my experience is not nearly as good as taking it orally. Want to snort something? Snort pure MDMA -- its fit ;]
Old 26-06-2007, 19:14

Male
Kodi is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 69, Level: 1 Points: 69, Level: 1 Points: 69, Level: 1

What swim heard was that you can take out all those little beads, use something like a mortar and pestal and make sure that every one is finely ground up. Then I believe it becomes snortable
Old 05-07-2007, 20:32
Silver Member

Male from United Kingdom
Rio Fantastic is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 322, Level: 2 Points: 322, Level: 2 Points: 322, Level: 2
Activity: 1.7% Activity: 1.7% Activity: 1.7%

Very bad idea. Fillers and other crap in the pill in your nasal membrane is not good for you at all. And, to answer your other question, once you pass the 'Newbie' level you will be able to edit your posts.
Old 09-07-2007, 22:56

Male
dmraver is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1

One of the most dangerous components of misused prescription medication is the 'talc' used to press the pill. Particularly among intravenous methylphenidate (ritalin) users, a serious and life-altering condition known as talcosis develops in the lungs as a result of the talc being deposited after entering the blood.

Recent evidence has indicated that snorting pills with talc in them (i.e. any prescription pharmaceutical) can result in talcosis as well. Extended release pills contain talc as well as many other things that one probably would like getting directly into their blood. We are just learning now about the dangers of snorting 'regular' pills. SWIY should read about pulmonary talcosis to thoroughly understand the risks before snorting ER pills.
Old 14-12-2007, 00:25

24 y/o Female
yumpop00952 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1

Snorting extended release pills isn't too bad. I find that it'll "clog" my nose membrane more considering it is "extended" release so it takes longer but generally all the same as regular release
Old 09-01-2008, 06:24
Palladium Member

26 y/o Male from Finland
psyche must live here.psyche must live here.psyche must live here.psyche must live here.psyche must live here.psyche must live here.psyche must live here.psyche must live here.
Points: 1,847, Level: 6 Points: 1,847, Level: 6 Points: 1,847, Level: 6
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

How real or common are these dangers, talcosis in particular? I know it's kinda stupid to think this way, but I haven't heard many bad stories about pill snorting resulting in some serious consequences and it's pretty common to snort many prescription pills. It doesn't mean there's no danger if something is a common practise, but still, I'd like to know if this is a 'real' danger, considering that SWIM has snorted some prescription pills too.
Old 12-01-2008, 16:35
Gold Member

33 y/o Male from United States
Laudaphun must live here.Laudaphun must live here.Laudaphun must live here.Laudaphun must live here.Laudaphun must live here.Laudaphun must live here.Laudaphun must live here.Laudaphun must live here.
Points: 1,455, Level: 5 Points: 1,455, Level: 5 Points: 1,455, Level: 5
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyche View Post
How real or common are these dangers, talcosis in particular? I know it's kinda stupid to think this way, but I haven't heard many bad stories about pill snorting resulting in some serious consequences and it's pretty common to snort many prescription pills. It doesn't mean there's no danger if something is a common practise, but still, I'd like to know if this is a 'real' danger, considering that SWIM has snorted some prescription pills too.
I think how likely these conditions are to occur probably depend a great deal on the particular substance, and not only that but the brand (if it's a pharmaceutical) as different pills contain different amounts and types of fillers. For example, above someone specifically mentioned that ritalin users commonly experience complications. Something like an 80mg OxyContin pill in the U.S. differs quite a bit between the name brand and say the Teva brand for instance. Most people can tell that the pills are made of very differently. The variable that is probably equally as important would be the length of time that a person insufflated whatever it was they were doing.

Insufflating anything habitually over a period of time is likely to cause repiratory problems just due to debris that gets past the biological filtering system we have. Our bodies have nose hairs and other such mechanisms of filtering dust out of the air when we inhale so that it does not reach our lungs. My grandfather never touched a drug in his life, however he died of a disease called black lung. While you are not likely to get black lung from insufflation of snorting pills, complications from both can be similar. My grandfather operated heavy machinery all of life such as bulldozers and stuff like that mining for coal. In this process much more dust was in the air than the normal person would breathe in at the workplace. Over time, the dust particles in the air (silica was especially bad I think) gradually began to cause scarring inside of his lungs. For years, he began having a hard time catching his breath, and finally it got bad enough that he went to a dr. and discovered what the problem was but it was too late. He died a very slow, painful, agonizing, and utterly devestating disease. Now days, it is common in workplaces, factories, and such to require employees to wear masks in environments where there is commonly alot of dust in the air.

My point is that our body is designed to filter out microscopic particles in the air we breath before they reach our lungs. Consider that whatever substance you are insufflating is a big line of powder directly into your nostril. While the human body can withstand a lot of abuse, over time this could cause other respiratory conditions or problems. When SWIM turned 10 years old, his birthday party had to be postponed for nearly a month as his uncle (maybe 26 or so at the time) was hospitolized due to cocaine use. Being acidic, it ate the lining of his nose away and apparently had been having bad nose bleeds. No one in SWIM's family even suspected his use of cocaine or any other drugs for that matter. But one day his nose began bleeding and he told SWIM's grandma to get him to the emergency room right away... Upon arrival he had a quart peanut butter jar nearly filled with blood and collapsed from blood loss at the door. Granted cocaine is not a pill as in the thread title, but I'd wager to guess that some pharms out there are just as corrosive. Ritalin for example is methylphenidate HCL, and many other pharms are in their HCL form. Suboxone(buprenorphine/naloxone) seems to be another problematic pharm due to the binding agents and/or fillers. Many reports of people who habitually insufflate or I.V. suboxone tend to have complications.

One thing that SWIM has always wondered about was people who crush up and insufflate pain pills containing acetaminophen(paracetamol)... That is a huge volume of powder for such a minute quantity of narcotic. SWIM can certainly understand insufflation of oxycodone or other pills, as she has always been rather fond of a few particular pharms. By no means is SWIM trying to be hypocritic and tell people not to insufflate things, as SWIM herself does so on occasion (formerly habitually). Rather, SWIM's intention is just to share her opinions and to help people make more informed decisions.

Post Quality Evaluations:
thanks

Last edited by Laudaphun; 12-01-2008 at 16:41.
Old 25-01-2008, 18:04
Silver Member

Male from Congo, Democratic Republic of the
Sklander is captain of the psychonauts.Sklander is captain of the psychonauts.Sklander is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 698, Level: 4 Points: 698, Level: 4 Points: 698, Level: 4

If SWIY is going to insulfate pills it is a good idea to try and remove the extended release coating. To do this, generally, one just has to introduce saliva to the outer coating of the pill. SWIM normally does this by placing the pill in his mouth for a few seconds then wiping with a paper towel. SWIM learned really quick one time that insulfating with the extended relase still intact wasn't the most pleasant thing in the world.

Share this on:

Tags
insufflating, intranasal, snorting drugs