Notices

Kava-Kava Piper methysticum

Old 25-03-2005, 21:39
Silver Member

brooklyn718 is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 233, Level: 2 Points: 233, Level: 2 Points: 233, Level: 2
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Kava-kava Experiences

Dear fellow members, I recently was given a note from an egret flying by who asked me to post it here. It is transcripted below.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have found the most blissfull item that I now call my passion.

This is a beutiful thing.

The effect was noticed after the second teaspoon, I was laughing and chatting like one of the "perfect stones" that we remember. My body was numb and head was so clear I was almost sober. The anti-anxiety effect of this low dose rivaled that of xanax, and blew alcohol out of the water. I couldnt make myself anxious if I tried, there were slight visual effects as usual with kava like the sharpening with the heavy head. Intoxication was minimal like usual with difficulty operating my legs. This was accomplished with items at the vitamin store and cost me under $xx for who knows how many doses.

Recipie:

I used good kava extract capsules with 75 mg kavalactone each pill. The pill was almost white (dont use the brown pills, there only grinded root, very little kavalactones as I understand.

I used Lecithin granuals also, this is needed or else it will not work.

I emptied 15 capsules into a bowl and added 2 heaping tablespoons of lecithin to the bowl. I mixed this around with a spoon until the mix was fairly even. Although the kava and lecithin had different textures I mixed until each teaspoon I took from it had equal amounts of each. I put this mixture into an empty vitamin bottle.

I then got a glass of milk, I then took a rounded teaspoon of the mixture and washed it down with the milk. By the second teaspoon I noticed my head was numb and my worries were completely gone. I had felt the opening feelings of alcohol intoxication without any intoxication. I was extremly happy and confident. The effects come on fast, within minutes. I proceded to take more teaspoons and came to a state of relaxion with not tiredness. Upon going outside I noticed the world looked amazing.

I want more to try this and post here of there experiances. I have a bottle of this mixture at work, and I take it at the end of the day on saturday, so by the time I get to my train I can feel euphoric, and by the time my train runs on the elevated line, The sun is setting at its most perfect and beutiful point and I feel amazing, its perfect to start my weekend.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Quality Evaluations:
Lucky egret, glad you shared its experience.

Last edited by Bajeda; 16-04-2007 at 19:39. Reason: prices
Old 26-05-2006, 16:02
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

39 y/o Female
blue_eyes is a decent psychonaut.blue_eyes is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 175, Level: 2 Points: 175, Level: 2 Points: 175, Level: 2
Surreal Kava-Kava experience

Hi to everyone out there

The other day SWIM enjoyed an evening on kava kava, and then something pretty cool happened.... after the actual kava high and then 7 hours sleep....

...the next day, SWIM had music playing through a headset and she had the sensation that the music was playing from the back of her head, like inside it. SWIM was completely straight, so she thinks that the kava she drank down altered her perception the next day.

It was so cool for SWIM. At first she didn't quite comprehend the sensation, then she started thinking "man, that surely can't be playing inside my head" (like a speaker inside my brain) So, to convince herself that it wasn't real, she rubbed the back of her head in an attempt to dispel the music-in-head sensation. It didn't go away, SWIM felt really wierd, not in parallel with reality. So, she just ripped the earpeices out and didn't listen to the music again that day.

Now, 2 days later, SWIM was thinking how trippy that experience was, and wanted to share it with you guys out there.

If SWIY has had a surreal kava kava experience, tell us here

good experience report
Old 22-01-2007, 09:44
Gold Member

Male from United States
mouthwater must live here.mouthwater must live here.mouthwater must live here.mouthwater must live here.mouthwater must live here.mouthwater must live here.mouthwater must live here.
Points: 1,296, Level: 5 Points: 1,296, Level: 5 Points: 1,296, Level: 5
First Kava Experience

SWIM received a Kava Kava sample from a vender a few months ago, and decided to experiment with it earlier tonight. SWIM didn’t have a blender, but SWIM had read that shaking one’s drink before straining is an effective (but perhaps not perfect) alternative. SWIM mixed his/her Kava powder with Cranberry Apple juice, and shook the mixture vigorously on and off for ten minutes. SWIM then strained the liquid into a cup through paper towels.

T: 11:28 pm | 0:00 min. – Began drinking Cranapple Kava, which tasted almost identical to Cranapple alone. SWIM wondered why there were so many Kava recipes on the Internet when his/her drink tasted fine.
T: 11:41 pm | 0:13 min. elapsed – Off baseline, likely placebo. Mild stomach discomfort.
T: 12:00 pm | 0:32 min. elapsed – Stomach discomfort subsided. Drink has been finished for five minutes. Drinking one beer. Comfortable and minimal sedation.
T: 12:07 pm | 0:39 min. elapsed – Finished drinking one beer. Inebriation is certainly not entirely alcohol induced.
T: 12:18 pm | 0:50 min. elapsed – Mild intoxication definitely present, but nothing impairing. SWIM can feel anxiolytic properties of brew.
T: 12:35 pm | 1:07 min. elapsed – Sedation more prominent. Although SWIM had a very calm day, which included a nap, SWIM is feeling like s/he could be ready for bed in the near future; SWIM usually goes to bed 2 or 3 hours later than this time.
T: 12:50 pm | 1:23 min. elapsed – Drowsy.
T: 01:28 am | 2:00 min. elapsed – Nicotine use perpetuated tiredness. SWIM will sleep soon. SWIM believes Kava could be a beneficial herb for reducing anxiety, stress, and sleep onset.

Thanks for the report.
Old 24-01-2007, 16:43
Silver Member

29 y/o Male from United Kingdom
DEViANCE is a decent psychonaut.DEViANCE is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 205, Level: 2 Points: 205, Level: 2 Points: 205, Level: 2
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%
Re: Kava Experiences

Lets explore this 'hypothetical' and fictional experience report i've come across that seems to be written in a first person perspective.

Start:
It's been difficult to get hold of some good quality Kava here in the UK but I have finally found a good, legitimate source for this plant. My source states it's no more than 5 days old when they recieve it, it arrives in powdered root form and still has chunks of shreded root in the bag, sucking on one of these bits makes the affected area of the mouth tingly and numb. Interesting.

I've dabbled with this 3 or 4 times now and will write up my most recent experience with it.

Dosage/Mixture
I use 1 table spoon full with one cup of water, mixed together in a blender for about 2 minutes. This makes a nice brew, and to get the bigs of leftover root out I strain it through a coffee strainer(the ones where you push down the rod and it filters the bits, I forget the name) but I dropped and broke it so now a net curtain suffices,

Ingestion
I take and hold mouthful of this for about 30 secs before swallowing.The taste isn't too bad, certainly edible. I continue drinking/sipping in the manner over about 20 minutes. Untill half a cups gone.

Experience:

General effects
Onset is not noticable, I find myself day dreaming lightly, feeling slightly clearer and perhaps fresher then come to the realisation that it's working. I have definite feeling of well being and contentment, My thought process is more defined and articulate. If I had to describe the feeling in one word it would 'Bliss'

Sound and Vision:
Music sounds good, it sounds the same as in no audibly perceived enhancements but it's much more enjoyable mentally. Boards of canada - dayvan cowboy was an excellent choice as was some atmospheric trance.
Colours are percieved as lusher and slightly vibrant.

Mind
Thought provoked, not willing to do much. Just want to sit and relax.
Although there is definite control of this, I can go downstairs hold good conversation with family and friends, act and feel normal return upstairs sit back and it will kick back in. Concentration seems affected, doing a task then just start daydreaming.
Short term memory is almost non exsistant, Constantly trying to remember what I was just about to do.

Physiological
As far as I can tell no physical withdraw symptoms or dependancy. physiologicaly speaking though I find I keep wanting to go back and "have just a little more".

Physical
Tirednes, slight involuntary muscle twitches in extreamities (once or twice over the next couple of days, seems to always happen on Kava)
Heavy headed, sometimes needing to just lye down and relax.

Side Effects
Some stomach discomfort, nothing disabling. Minor headache at time of use and for a period after. Increased urination rate (Diuretic) which leads to slight dehydration after prolonged use.

I'll leave at that for now, might update at a later stage.

Good experience post -kava kava-
Good report.
Nice report

Last edited by DEViANCE; 02-02-2007 at 12:39.
Old 21-02-2007, 05:55
Silver Member

Male
PoolShark1184 is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 115, Level: 1 Points: 115, Level: 1 Points: 115, Level: 1

Swim has been using Kava for about a year or so, and it has really helped him to curtail his use of certain other illegal substances. It is a cool substance to use on weeknights or anytime you are just kind of hanging around. It is very similar to other substances in that it's effects very much depend on set and setting. Swim has been trying various ways to prepare the stuff and this is the best:

Get one of those kava strainer bags from an online vendor, most places that sell kava sell these.

Swim hasn't noticed much difference between potency of any of the places he has bought it from or the different varieties they sell, so its really about trial and error, and of course price.

Anyways, Swim usually uses about 3 heaping tablespoons of kava per cup of water. Put the correct amount of kava into the strainer bag, and the correct amount of water into a medium sized bowl. Put the strainer bag with kava in it into the bowl and squeeze the bag repeatedly for about 10 minutes, and the water will start to turn brown. When you're done squeezing make sure you squeeze all the leftover water out. The longer you squeeze and the more kava you use will make the stuff stronger. You know it's good if it makes your mouth numb...
Swim usually just drinks the stuff straight, you can add all types of stuff to try and make it taste better but he kind of likes just knocking back about half a cup at a time, at about 15 minute intervals. 2 cups will make you feel pretty groovy, a great sense of relaxation and oneness with the universe with a pretty clear head. Upset stomach may occur with higher doses, so again its about trial and error. Swim has noticed that at high doses he gets pretty happy and talkative, while at low to medium doses he just gets mood enhancement and relaxation.
This stuff is great for those who have "tried it all" and are looking for something a little more chill to satisfy those cravings for a different state of mind.

I cant wait for kava bars to spread over the country like in the pacific and hawaii, theres one in florida and i think a few in san diego, check em out!

thanks for the report, though please read the pm in your box

Last edited by Bajeda; 21-02-2007 at 18:32. Reason: incrim
Old 17-03-2007, 18:59
Palladium Member

25 y/o Male from Finland
psyche must live here.psyche must live here.psyche must live here.psyche must live here.psyche must live here.psyche must live here.psyche must live here.psyche must live here.
Points: 1,847, Level: 6 Points: 1,847, Level: 6 Points: 1,847, Level: 6

Sounds like SWIM should give this herb a try. It seems a little special and distinct, but SWIM didn't see much interest in it before because he thought it'd be very close to kratom. However, there seems to be less intoxication and physical euforia and much more mental, anxiolytic, effects. Seems good.

Quote:
Intoxication was minimal like usual with difficulty operating my legs.
My source of nootropics sells also kava-kava pills and states that "Discontinue use if dilation of pupils or disturbances of co-ordination between vision and movement occur." I don't know if the latter fits your description, it seems to be a different thing. Still, is there any truth to these statements and what is the background? Could anyone elaborate what is happening in the body when those occur and why is it dangerous?
Old 21-07-2007, 23:16
Gold Member

30 y/o Male from Netherlands
Pino must think in IUPACPino must think in IUPACPino must think in IUPACPino must think in IUPACPino must think in IUPACPino must think in IUPACPino must think in IUPACPino must think in IUPACPino must think in IUPACPino must think in IUPACPino must think in IUPAC
Points: 1,973, Level: 6 Points: 1,973, Level: 6 Points: 1,973, Level: 6
Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6%

SWIM put 7 tb spoons of kava kava in 0.5 liter milk with some water. After swim heated it to approx 60 degrees. Swim adds some honey.

The description of the experience is retrospective. Time is estimated .

T + 0:00 Nothing, however swims stomach feels a little 'weird'. He didn't strain the mixture. It taste somewhat sharp and alkaline.

T + 0:15 Swim feels a vague hint. He feels relaxed. Stomache weirdness is changing into nausea.

T + 0:30 Swim's face feels like an high dose of alcohol. Swim feels fine, however the nausea doesn't seem to go away, worsen maybe. His body begins to tingle. Swim thinks this is quite a high dose.

T + 1:00 SWIM is laying on the couch, listening music. His friend is doing cocaine. SWIM also tries a line. Swim has some sort activity behind the eyes.

T+ 1:15 Wow, Wow, Wow, the cocaine add some strange effects. SWIM feels really euphoric now. Is this due the cocaine, the kava, the combination? SWIM doesn't know. He has involuntary eye and body movements. His whole body is tingling. He talks a lot. He doesn't feel the nausea. SWIM wonders if this is dangerous.

T 1:45 The effect had peaked. His friend was getting somewhat worried. However swim's pulse was ok. He didn't measure bp or temperature. SWIM thinks it was something with serotonin. It felt like it.

T 2:00 The effect of the kava begins to subside and the nausea is setting in again. SWIM is taking more. (4 tb spoons)

T 2:30 SWIM begins to feel really sleepy now. SWIM takes some more cocaine. The strange peak like effect doesn't occur a second time. It is still a pleasurable combination, more than the two alone. It's strange, because swim doesn't like the combination of alcohol and cocaine.

T 3:00 SWIM likes to dance somewhat. It feels good to move. The nausea is almost non existent.

T 4:00 The effect begins to fade. SWIM doesn't take
anymore and decides to go home. He is dizzy and has some kind of hangover.

The next day, his stomach feels really queasy. SWIM had some excellent sleep. Mental was ok. He solved some complex math problems the next day.
Old 14-09-2007, 01:34
Banned

Male
kookoo4coca should review received reputation comments.

SWIM received their 84% Kava Paste. He couldnt wait to try it. So he rubs it on his gums to try and gauge the potency (this is my first attempt at anything botanical) and it numbed the hell out of his gums and tongue like almost immediately! No joke. About 5 mins after that, he said he felt this cool/hot sensation in the top of his head and his body got a little warm. And this was only using just a smigden on his forefinger.

He's anxiously awaiting his wife's departure for the bed, so that he can experiment more with this wonderful plant. he's thinking about smoking it. Will let you know lata. But he's definitely adding this to his personal arsenal.

FYI: As I'm going through posts and learning of others experiences, i'm finding that this site is less about the effects of the plants as drugs, and more about the spiritual and soul connecting the plants allow one to experience. Admittedly, I came to the forum because we moved to another state and didnt have any one we "knew" here, ya know? So I figured I'd do some research on different plants blends to replace mj, and I didn't have the foggiest idea what to do about my "other" problem. That was also solved by learning about and ordering HCL and Lago. My point is.. (see the Kava IS working, my mind is so clear and bright, and my eyes seems to have improved so that I just had to take off of my glasses cause the screen was blinding me)
I use to meditate, and was an avid Rosicrucian (AMORC), studying and preparing for "things". I've had out of body experiences w/o the aid of anything from my studies, and was learning that my mind and will are far more powerful than I gave them credit for.

I'm just glad that I found you guys, and being here and reading the different posts have placed me back in the frame of mind, heart and spirit to start back studying, this time with the use of Mother Nature and her wonderfu, sweet gifts! Thanx!
Old 16-10-2007, 07:11
Palladium Member

Female
Cakes really knows their shit.Cakes really knows their shit.Cakes really knows their shit.Cakes really knows their shit.Cakes really knows their shit.Cakes really knows their shit.Cakes really knows their shit.Cakes really knows their shit.Cakes really knows their shit.Cakes really knows their shit.
Points: 2,148, Level: 6 Points: 2,148, Level: 6 Points: 2,148, Level: 6

Quote:
...the next day, SWIM had music playing through a headset and she had the sensation that the music was playing from the back of her head, like inside it. SWIM was completely straight, so she thinks that the kava she drank down altered her perception the next day.

It was so cool for SWIM. At first she didn't quite comprehend the sensation, then she started thinking "man, that surely can't be playing inside my head" (like a speaker inside my brain) So, to convince herself that it wasn't real, she rubbed the back of her head in an attempt to dispel the music-in-head sensation. It didn't go away, SWIM felt really wierd, not in parallel with reality. So, she just ripped the earpeices out and didn't listen to the music again that day.
If using stereo headphones with good clarity, the sound always seems to be centered and to the rear for me.
Old 08-03-2008, 00:22
is not his mind

Male from Earth
NeuroChi is a true resource and beyond reputeNeuroChi is a true resource and beyond reputeNeuroChi is a true resource and beyond reputeNeuroChi is a true resource and beyond reputeNeuroChi is a true resource and beyond reputeNeuroChi is a true resource and beyond reputeNeuroChi is a true resource and beyond reputeNeuroChi is a true resource and beyond reputeNeuroChi is a true resource and beyond reputeNeuroChi is a true resource and beyond reputeNeuroChi is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 21,116, Level: 21 Points: 21,116, Level: 21 Points: 21,116, Level: 21
Activity: 9.2% Activity: 9.2% Activity: 9.2%

Ingested: Kava-kava root powder (very fine grade, mixed with water [1 tbsp:1 cup water ratio] and coconut milk)

Body weight: 140 lbs

T-00:00 hrs: Began drinking the mixture.

T-00:30 hrs: 7 grams (2 tbsp) mouth numb, slight body buzz

T-01:00 hrs: 14 grams (4 tbsp): stronger body buzz, slowly coming on stronger

T-01:30 hrs: approx 20 grams (6 tbsp): finally the 'drunken' like feeling begins, very gradual

T-02:00 hrs: approx 28-32 grams (8-9 tbsp): full body buzz, feeling drunk, clear mind, motor control impaired, cease ingestion.

T-03:00 hrs: Plateau has lasted for 1 hr, same feeling, comparable to having approx. 8 beers but no dizziness, no confusion, no mental 'fog'. Sedative and relaxed feeling, perhaps due to Beatles playing between Hilltop Hoods and other 'chilling' music.

Thank you for this direct, precise report
Old 25-04-2008, 00:24

Male
Snorkel is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 76, Level: 1 Points: 76, Level: 1 Points: 76, Level: 1
Whoa, Cool

Well, my slimy pet snake just slithered in to tell me of this amazing Kava experience he just had. Here's what he said:

Quote:
What the fuck, this was amazing. I'd tried Kava twice before, somewhat unsuccessfully... all it did was mellow me out a lot. This time I blended about a cup of orange juice and maybe 10-15g of Kava w/ 40% Kavalactone Extract (powdered)... I couldn't tell you the exact amount because I just poured some of the bag in.

I was unprepared for this; I was expecting another mellow night. But no, now I'm all messed up, and it's awesome. The most noticeable effect is that when I'm looking at my computer screen, for example, and turn my head to look at something behind me, everything in between the screen (where my eyes leave) and the object (where they stop) seems to go by at lightspeed and is a complete blur. I don't really know how to describe it.

There seems to be a slight increase in appreciate/perception of music, although this could be placebo. Wait, no, it's definitely there.

Now things are beginning to swim a little bit in my vision... nothing severe or otherwise trippy, but the effects are increasing as I tell you this.

Walking seems to be an issue. Not really a chore, but I take big steps like a horse and start laughing at it... it's kind of hard to judge distances, too.

Still the only downside to this stuff is that IT'S THE FUCKING WORST TASTING THING EVER. Even mixed with orange juice, which seems like it would mask the flavor pretty well, I could barely get it down and had to stop to gulp ice cold water to numb my taste buds. This was only 1 cup of orange juice, too. I inadvertently discovered a cool trick to get rid of the aftertaste, though: eat a piece of meat. I was hungry immediately after drinking the OJ/Kava mix, so I ate a piece of thinly sliced smoked turkey or something that was in my fridge... it tasted good (as always), and pretty much eliminated the lingering awful Kava taste. Awesome.

I'm interested to see if this has any nauseating after-effects, and how long these weird effects last.

I just walked around my house some more, and it felt like a little bit of nausea was stirring up. Nothing uncomfortable yet... also, my field of vision definitely swims/slides a bit, at least when I'm moving. I was able to get control of my feet. Kratom's effect of wanting to be around people/socialize seems to be present.

Oh, just noticed this: my eyesight for seeing things farther than 8-9 feet away definitely decreased by like 50%. I just had an eye exam for getting glasses yesterday, and I'm almost positive it wasn't nearly this bad. This effect just seems a bit random.

So, yeah, it's safe to say at this point that Kava is definitely a potent drug.

I'll update this later if I notice any bad side-effects.

Good report

Last edited by Bajeda; 04-05-2008 at 06:48. Reason: forgot other part of quote code
Old 25-04-2008, 04:14

Male from United States
someguy200 is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 54, Level: 1 Points: 54, Level: 1 Points: 54, Level: 1
Re: Whoa, Cool

Snorkel - Those effects seem about right for what swim gets from a good dose. The vision thing is just a weird focus problem, like the eyes take longer to change focus from one place to another with a little bit of a tunnel vision feeling, also the eyes feel like they're focusing independently of each other to a degree, which causes some double vision and bad coordination. The nausea should actually get better, not worse as time goes on, as long as you aren't doing anything too physical. Also, other things to help the taste are either adding a bit of sucralose/splenda to the drink, or after you take a drink kinda swish some water around in it to wash it out, then eat some peanut butter or a freezer pop or ice cream. Also, mixing with milk/chocolate milk instead of juice seems to bring down the intensity of the nastiness because the milk kind of "smooths over" the harsh kava taste. At the dose you took you might also get some of the more interesting mental effects and/or be feeling the stuff for a day or so.
Old 25-04-2008, 05:56
Platinum Member & Advisor

Male from Bermuda
enquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumenquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumenquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumenquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumenquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumenquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumenquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumenquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumenquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumenquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumenquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 9,438, Level: 14 Points: 9,438, Level: 14 Points: 9,438, Level: 14
Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorkel View Post
I'll update this later if I notice any bad side-effects.
Did the said snake have a hangover the next day? My rats say that whenever they have got that out of it on kava, they have had a terrible hangover the next day. They agree about the taste. Kratom is not delicious but kava......
Old 04-05-2008, 06:51
Ethnobotanical Cannibal

Male from United States
Bajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 7,179, Level: 12 Points: 7,179, Level: 12 Points: 7,179, Level: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by enquirewithin View Post
Did the said snake have a hangover the next day? My rats say that whenever they have got that out of it on kava, they have had a terrible hangover the next day.
Interesting. My lab mice find that they only get hangovers when they combine kava and alcohol; kava alone will at most leave them feeling lethargic the next day with higher doses. Perhaps they haven't tried a high enough dose... how much do your rats have to drink to get to the hangover inducing stage? Also, does inadequate hydration (kava is a powerful diuretic) have something to do with it perhaps?
Old 09-05-2008, 01:36
is not his mind

Male from Earth
NeuroChi is a true resource and beyond reputeNeuroChi is a true resource and beyond reputeNeuroChi is a true resource and beyond reputeNeuroChi is a true resource and beyond reputeNeuroChi is a true resource and beyond reputeNeuroChi is a true resource and beyond reputeNeuroChi is a true resource and beyond reputeNeuroChi is a true resource and beyond reputeNeuroChi is a true resource and beyond reputeNeuroChi is a true resource and beyond reputeNeuroChi is a true resource and beyond repute

My pet gerbil agrees with Bajeda's lab mice. As a mild tranquilizer, kava tends to put him right to sleep...
Old 09-05-2008, 05:58

Male from Bermuda
enquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumenquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumenquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumenquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumenquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumenquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumenquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumenquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumenquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumenquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumenquirewithin is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 9,438, Level: 14 Points: 9,438, Level: 14 Points: 9,438, Level: 14
Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajeda View Post
Interesting. My lab mice find that they only get hangovers when they combine kava and alcohol; kava alone will at most leave them feeling lethargic the next day with higher doses. Perhaps they haven't tried a high enough dose... how much do your rats have to drink to get to the hangover inducing stage? Also, does inadequate hydration (kava is a powerful diuretic) have something to do with it perhaps?
The rats say they drank about double the recommended dose, which is not sensible-- about 4 tablespoons of powdered root mixed with soya milk-- very quickly. The initial effects were enjoyable, but later on they could hardly sleep and felt tired, generally unwell and nauseous the next day. They have disliked the taste and texture since then. They don't take kava very often now. Your pets might drink that much without any negative effects.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:54
Banned

Female
Aletheia is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 20, Level: 1 Points: 20, Level: 1 Points: 20, Level: 1

swim has had bits of kava before, many years ago when coming down from dxm, but tried swim's first major kava experience tonight

bought a bottle of 60 capsules of some kind of kava concentrate, claims 3 pills = 3.75 grams raw kava

0:00 - 3.75 grams (3)
0:30 - 3.75 grams (3)
1:00 - 7.5 grams (6)
1:30 - 7.5 grams (6)
2:00 - 15 grams (12)
3:10 - 22.5 g (18)

48 pills = 60 grams

threw the rest away to avoid getting too stupid

swim thinks she started too slowly (before checking dosage here)

at 4:10 now, wobbly, somewhat disoriented, can't focus well, etc. enjoying music. kinda want to lie down and drift but also want to try salvia again after a couple of somewhat scary experiences; thinking it might be different now and she might have some kind of inner breakthrough

hmm
Old 15-07-2008, 00:31
Palladium Member

Male
infekt really adds to the discussion.infekt really adds to the discussion.infekt really adds to the discussion.infekt really adds to the discussion.infekt really adds to the discussion.infekt really adds to the discussion.
Points: 910, Level: 4 Points: 910, Level: 4 Points: 910, Level: 4
Re: Kava-kava Experiences

Two nights ago SWIM had his first real good experience with Kava. It was a tincture mind you, and swim really does believe that there is a reverse tolerance here because swim has done more of the tincture in the past week then he did on that night, and the experiences are not even comparable.

Or maybe it was because SWIM mixed Kava with some other sedating herbs?

Swim had about 4-5 dropper fulls of Kava tincture in a cup of warm water. Swim drank it and within 20 minutes SWIM felt a very benzo-like high. It was beautiful. Swim wanted to get a bit lower (because SWIM wanted to eventually be able to get to sleep (which has been a big problem for a very long time), so swim made some Chamomile (sp?) and Valerian tea ("Sleepy Time Tea"). After this, SWIM sat on his couch, watched tv in a state of absolute content. He still had some trouble getting to sleep an hour or two later, but that really wasn't surprising.
Old 23-07-2008, 22:31

Male from Canada
Euphoric must mainline MedlineEuphoric must mainline MedlineEuphoric must mainline MedlineEuphoric must mainline MedlineEuphoric must mainline MedlineEuphoric must mainline MedlineEuphoric must mainline MedlineEuphoric must mainline MedlineEuphoric must mainline MedlineEuphoric must mainline MedlineEuphoric must mainline Medline
Points: 7,383, Level: 12 Points: 7,383, Level: 12 Points: 7,383, Level: 12
Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5%

SWIM tried Kava last night. About 7-8 Tbsp of finely ground kava was mixed with 1 litre of raspberry juice. It tasted quite foul. It wasn't strained well and the powder was gross. The drink was split between SWIM and partner. SWIM had a shot of rum between his kava glasses to make the taste less foul. It worked.

It made SWIM feel calm, relaxed, sleepy and in a general good mood about an hour after ingestion. SWIM ended up smoking a couple of bowls of MJ. SWIM was very high. The pot may have been especially potent or the Kava could have potentiated it.

About half an hour after the bowl SWIM had terrible stomach pain and for the next couple of hours before passing out he felt like he was going to vomit. It was very unpleasant.

Doesn't seem like a very interesting substance to SWIM. He would give it another try, but it's a low priority for SWIM.
Old 23-07-2008, 22:53
is not his mind

Male from Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphoric View Post
About half an hour after the bowl SWIM had terrible stomach pain and for the next couple of hours before passing out he felt like he was going to vomit. It was very unpleasant.
This could have been from consuming the powdered root, or from mixing it with alcohol which is not recommended.

Strain it if you can...
Old 24-07-2008, 04:19

Male from Canada
Euphoric must mainline MedlineEuphoric must mainline MedlineEuphoric must mainline MedlineEuphoric must mainline MedlineEuphoric must mainline MedlineEuphoric must mainline MedlineEuphoric must mainline MedlineEuphoric must mainline MedlineEuphoric must mainline MedlineEuphoric must mainline MedlineEuphoric must mainline Medline
Points: 7,383, Level: 12 Points: 7,383, Level: 12 Points: 7,383, Level: 12
Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5%

Agreed. SWIM should have mentioned that the other person who participated experienced no nausea and also consumed alcohol (as well as more MJ, salvia, and blue lotus).
Old 24-07-2008, 20:33
Ethnobotanical Cannibal

Male from United States
Bajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 7,179, Level: 12 Points: 7,179, Level: 12 Points: 7,179, Level: 12

My panda never gets any stomach discomfort from not straining the beverage before consumption. He generally has a fairly sturdy stomach though (doesn't get nauseous easily) so that could be a attenuating factor.

My panda also finds that piper methysticum potentiates or otherwise alters the effects of cannabis when he combines them. Results vary, depending on amount of Kava beverage consumed and the type of cannabis ingested.
Old 25-07-2008, 15:30
Titanium Member

Male
Frond really adds to the discussion.Frond really adds to the discussion.Frond really adds to the discussion.Frond really adds to the discussion.Frond really adds to the discussion.Frond really adds to the discussion.
Points: 663, Level: 4 Points: 663, Level: 4 Points: 663, Level: 4

SWIM has these high-potency capsules that supposedly contain at least 588mg kavalactones a pop. SWIM's usual dosage is 588-1764 mg kavalactones (1-3 capsules), and surprisingly, they do have an effect.

Onset is gradual, but is characterized by a slight mood lift. SWIM feels less awkward, less anti-social, and somewhat less plagued by anxiety. Then, a numbness begins to develop at the back of the throat which is a sure sign that the stuff is starting to work.

In the next hour or so, SWIM gets quite high, depending on dosage. The mood lift increases and becomes full-blown euphoria. Interestingly, Kava seems to work on the mood directly, altering it and causing euphoria rather than just getting SWIM so high that he doesn't have time to care about his problems (like the evil Mary Jewanna, which SWIM doesn't have much of a fondness for). SWIM finds this effect to be fairly unique to Kava, and has used lower doses of the stuff at times when his mood needed a bit of external assistance. In this way, Kava is somewhat independent of set and setting, and it will put SWIM into a good mood no matter what he's doing.

SWIM's coordination is affected, but not to the same extent as other potential rival intoxicants. Still, SWIM doesn't drive on the stuff.

Sensory effects are interesting. Music sounds a bit fuller and more fluid, but the main enhancement effect seems to be mental rather than sensory, and music is simply more enjoyable. Tactile sensation seems to be diminished - Kava is a pretty good pain reliever, and since SWIM is in basically constant pain, he's become a pretty good judge of various pain-relieving effects. Also, the stuff seems to be almost an anti-aphrodisiac, making it harder to perform, and making things less enjoyable physically.

Over the next hour or two the mood lift lessens, and a very strange and distinct body load sets in. SWIM is fairly nauseous at this point, and his appetite is gone for at least 12-16 hours after ingestion. The characteristic numbness of the tongue and back of the throat persists for a while as well. There is some GI discomfort sometimes, too.

SWIM is going to try the real root. The pills actually do something, which is interesting, but the nausea and GI discomfort at the end of the experience really isn't worth it when SWIM has other more potent herbs available. Also, SWIM doesn't really know what the hell goes into the extract to begin with, and there could be other ingredients in there, partially evaporated solvents, impurities, etc, that could account for the nausea and GI issues.

Kava seems to be a solid therapeutic drug though; SWIM has had some very in-depth conversations on it, and it seemed to unlock some closed mental doors and helped SWIM get stuff out into the open.

good post
Thanks for sharing.
Old 29-07-2008, 06:50
Silver Member

27 y/o Female
suchajealoussound is a decent psychonaut.suchajealoussound is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 196, Level: 2 Points: 196, Level: 2 Points: 196, Level: 2

age/sex/weight/height/other
21/f/160/5'5/type 1 diabetic

9:15 - 9:45 ^a few days ago Swim and partner split about 8 tbsp of Kava in with one liter of water and drink mix. it was mixed in a blender for about 5 mins, and then strained maybe 8 times. it STILL had a bit of the thick powdery stuff in it after but Swim figured it was good enough. Swim and partner both drank the mixture and thought it tasted quite disguisting, but struggled through it anyway. the first sip wasnt so bad, but it kept getting worst. eventually they both took a shot of rum which seemed to help greatly, it didnt taste AS bad after that. there was still about a cup left so they split it and added some lemonade. the lemonade made it tasted MUCH better. Swim would recommend mixing Kava with citrus drinks for the future.

9:30 - 11:00 ^Swim started feeling effects WHILE drinking... Swim started feeling the sensations of being drunk. first, seeing things different, like the way you would while being intoxicated. then, a heavy body feeling, relaxed, and again, very similar to being drunk. mentally, mostly just felt calm, and very relaxed. these feelings intensified over the next 30 mins, then began to decline.

11:00 - 11:30 ^Swim felt disapointed with the short lived effects of Kava so they decided to smoke some other things. they smoked 1 bowl of MJ, then 1 bowl of MJ and Salvia 10x, then 1 last bowl of MJ, Salvia 10x, and Blue Lotus. this was shared with a couple of people, but mostly smoked by Swim. this gave an intense high, which Swim feels could be attributed to the drinking of Kava earlier that night.

Swim felt great for hours, but sadly, Swim's partner felt very sick for the rest of the night.

Thanks for the report.
Old 29-07-2008, 07:13
Banned

Male
Panthers007 must mainline MedlinePanthers007 must mainline MedlinePanthers007 must mainline MedlinePanthers007 must mainline MedlinePanthers007 must mainline MedlinePanthers007 must mainline MedlinePanthers007 must mainline MedlinePanthers007 must mainline MedlinePanthers007 must mainline MedlinePanthers007 must mainline MedlinePanthers007 must mainline Medline
Points: 2,850, Level: 7 Points: 2,850, Level: 7 Points: 2,850, Level: 7

What's this '7 - 8 tbsp' stuff? A proper dose it 1 - 2 tbsp. 8 tbsp would gag an elephant. Yuck!

Share this on:

Tags
experiences with kava, kava kava experiences, kava trip reports, piper methysticum, using kava