Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Dissociatives > DXM
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

DXM Dextromethorphan

Old 07-01-2007, 14:24
Silver Member

Male
Solipsist is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 90, Level: 1 Points: 90, Level: 1 Points: 90, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
DXM and Alcohol

I know DXM and alcohol goes bad together, but what are really the risks ? If some guy take a "low" amount of DXM (something between 200mg and 400mg), would it be really dangerous to drink too much alcohol ? I ask this because a friend has some difficulties to stay away from alcohol during a party, but doesn't want to take too much risks...

Would too much alcohol and DXM together just end in a vomit party or would there be serious dangers for the health ?

And can someone drink big amounts of alcohol just after a DXM trip ?

And, other question, do you think it's safe to take DXM one or two days after having taken Ayahuasca (and so an MAOI...).

Thanks.
Old 09-01-2007, 03:23
Banned

27 y/o Male
Riconoen {UGC} is heading for the Darwin Award.Riconoen {UGC} is heading for the Darwin Award.
Points: 358, Level: 3 Points: 358, Level: 3 Points: 358, Level: 3
Re: DXM and Alcohol

I would refrain from any dxm trips at least two weeks after using an maoi. since according to the dxm faq (what a wonderful piece of fine literature) "Taking DXM with MAOI's still in your system has been REPEATEDLY FATAL" paraphrasing but it's to that effect. and I think like you siad, dxm with alchol would just make your nuasea worse and end your trip in a hurry.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:07
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

39 y/o Male from United States
El Calico Loco must think in IUPACEl Calico Loco must think in IUPACEl Calico Loco must think in IUPACEl Calico Loco must think in IUPACEl Calico Loco must think in IUPACEl Calico Loco must think in IUPACEl Calico Loco must think in IUPACEl Calico Loco must think in IUPACEl Calico Loco must think in IUPACEl Calico Loco must think in IUPACEl Calico Loco must think in IUPAC
Points: 2,468, Level: 7 Points: 2,468, Level: 7 Points: 2,468, Level: 7

Swim doesn't normally use alcohol during DXM trips, but has found an interesting side-effect. If he does a 3rd-plateau dose or higher one night and goes drinking the next, the alcohol brings back much of the dissociation and derealization from the night before. No visuals or robo-walking; it's purely mental.

He kinda likes it.

One thing of note: the author of the DXM FAQ wasn't kidding about DXM blocking tolerance to other drugs. Swim once took just 200mg of DXM before hitting the bars (he wasn't driving), and found himself completely shitfaced after only a couple of drinks. It was as if he'd never had booze before. He remembers nothing about the evening, so he can't recommend it; what good is an experience - even a good one - if you have no memory of it?

As for MAOIs, he agrees with Riconoen and the author of the FAQ. Don't do it - it will kill you. In fact, don't even drink beer or eat cheese after having used a MAOI. Make sure you know exactly how long the particular MAOI in question takes to leave one's system, then double that time just to be safe. Those chemicals should not be taken lightly.

ECL
Old 09-01-2007, 06:32
Platinum Member & Advisor

Male from United States
Paracelsus is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumParacelsus is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumParacelsus is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumParacelsus is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumParacelsus is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumParacelsus is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumParacelsus is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumParacelsus is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumParacelsus is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumParacelsus is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumParacelsus is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 4,471, Level: 9 Points: 4,471, Level: 9 Points: 4,471, Level: 9

Small amounts of alcohol (a beer or two) potentiate DXM. More than that can lead to extreme nausea (a couple of lab rats puked for hours from too much alcohol with DXM). DXM + a little alcohol is basically OK. Much alcohol + a little DXM not.
Old 11-01-2007, 19:50
Ethnobotanical Cannibal

Male from United States
Bajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 7,179, Level: 12 Points: 7,179, Level: 12 Points: 7,179, Level: 12
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

Swim would have to side with caution on this one.

A little bit of alcohol mixed with a light amount of DXM ill potentiate the DXM nicely that is true. Its also easy to mess up.

Swim made the mistake once of going to a kegger a few hours after his DXM trip has supposedly ended (he was back to baseline). He got quite drunk and the last thing he remembered was that he was going to leave the party. He woke up the next day to find out he had been nearly comatose on the couch tripping his balls off. He puked all over himself and had to be carried to a car by his friends and then was driven home by another drunk friend after which several other friends carried swim up to his room. Not a very fun night, certainly not a safe night, and definitely could have been avoided with a little caution.

So yeah, you can be at baseline supposedly but alcohol can kick the DXM right back up there. Its a dangerous mix to mess around with.
Old 20-02-2012, 02:14

23 y/o Male from USA - Oklahoma
Envilid is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1

Well I don't want to advocate anything, but swim has drank beer on around 400mgs of dex and then whiskey later in the night until he blacked out. He was fine even the next day, right now swim downed about 600mgs and has drank about 6 beers 20 minutes before dosing (not all in 20 minutes). I'll report on swims experience and leave the page up.
Old 20-02-2012, 03:09

Male from United States
joewenston should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Points: 220, Level: 2 Points: 220, Level: 2 Points: 220, Level: 2
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%

Swim prefers to use low doses of dxm with alcohol, like no more than 150mg. The dxm makes it way easier to get drunk, but i dont even wanna know how sick someone would ge from combining high doses.

Not sure about the risk though..
Old 20-02-2012, 06:00

23 y/o Male from USA - Oklahoma
Envilid is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1

Eh It may be due too my high tolerance of dxm that it didn't potentiate it that much, but I didn't ever feel nauseous and am currently just relaxing watching tv nothing special.
Old 23-02-2012, 10:16
Silver Member

25 y/o Male from United States
Mr. Mcneal is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 78, Level: 1 Points: 78, Level: 1 Points: 78, Level: 1
Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4%

Certainly not advocating this but in swim's experience, dxm has always made him be able to drink like a champ. The only issue is that since dxm allowed him to drink more, as it wore off he went from getting soberish to shitty drunk very quickly.

Does anyone know specifically why its not safe to drink on dxm?
Old 02-03-2012, 04:54

25 y/o Male from Canada
Kamuix should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Points: 379, Level: 3 Points: 379, Level: 3 Points: 379, Level: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mcneal View Post
Does anyone know specifically why its not safe to drink on dxm?
Mainly because of the combined respiratory depression. Alcohol is more of a problem because it's depresses much faster than DXM. So let's say SWIY does 1 gram of dxm and drinks 4 shots, that's going to have a combined depression effects putting you close to overdose, do you know what I mean?

Remember the higher you go with DXM dosage the less you can safely drink so just remember that there's a combined depressant effect.

Long term i'd worry about the stress it might put on the heart because of how toxic alcohol is plus DXMs effect on blood pressure, this is the only reason i'd stay away from this combo, because getting drunk while on dxm and running around carelessly while your blood pressure is higher your heart won't like that. This is just my opinion and a note.

SWIM personally doesn't think this combo is a good idea

Last edited by Kamuix; 06-03-2012 at 09:53.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:03
Titanium Member

Male from United States
DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.
Points: 1,254, Level: 5 Points: 1,254, Level: 5 Points: 1,254, Level: 5
Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0%

I have to say that DXM has a tendency to be hard on the heart (accelerates beating and increases blood pressure), alcohol has a tendency to do the same especially binge drinking.

There is also a issue with DXMs NMDA antagonism which decreases the tolerance to other drugs specifically CNS depressants such as alcohol and opioids. So this combination should be used with caution and both should be lowered to compensate from the potentiation of one another.

I would be cautious with this combination.

MAOI and DXM is not a safe combination.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:44

25 y/o Male from Canada
Kamuix should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Points: 379, Level: 3 Points: 379, Level: 3 Points: 379, Level: 3

Swim very much agrees with Diabolic, because it increases your heart rate and blood pressure, you have to be careful of your actions while on dxm in the sense that you can't exert yourself too much and adding alcohol is only going to decrease your inhibitions which will make things that much worse

I edited my last post because it needed to be touched up it was alittle wreckless of me to say what I said

Last edited by Kamuix; 06-03-2012 at 10:02.

Share this on:

Tags
alcohol, alcohol and dxm, drunk, dxm