Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Various drugs not covered by other forums > Antidepressants
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 22-12-2006, 18:04
Silver Member

Male from United Kingdom
youwillpay is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 58, Level: 1 Points: 58, Level: 1 Points: 58, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%
Lyrica - Pregabalin for anxiety/depression to replace SSRI's

Hi all
SWiM has tryed most SSRI's for panic attacks, GAD, depression, etc & had realy bad reactions like freaking out, sweating exessively, realy vivid dreams to name a fiew!

Then SWiM's Psychiatrist mentioned a drug that has just been given licence in UK to treat anxiety, Lyrica (pregabalin).
It was used for Epilepsy & neuropathic pain, but now it can be used for anxiety.
Apparently SWiM was the 1st person she'd prescribed it too, so he was a guinea pig in my area.
It works on the receptors in the brain that Benzodiazepines do, but without the addiction.
SWiM feels he can function, get outa bed, & sometimes get a real high like on E.

I have been told it is going to be given to patients who have a bad time on SSRI's & withdrawl.

Has anyone had experiences with this drug & how it has worked on them.

YWP

Post Quality Evaluations:
interesting new subject/drug

Last edited by Micklemouse; 08-02-2007 at 09:50.
Old 03-02-2007, 17:28
Silver Member

Male from United Kingdom
Broshious is on the way upBroshious is on the way upBroshious is on the way up
Points: 240, Level: 2 Points: 240, Level: 2 Points: 240, Level: 2
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Lyrica - Pregabalin for anxiety/depression to replace SSRI's

For anxiety SWiM was prescribed Gabapentin which is very similar to Pregabalin and it worked very well.

Last edited by Micklemouse; 08-02-2007 at 09:48.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:47
Silver Member

Male from United States
paranoid_android is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 314, Level: 2 Points: 314, Level: 2 Points: 314, Level: 2

SwiPA tried pregabalin (like the above poster said, very similar to gabapentin) and it worked miracles for anxiety, made him social. Unfortunately he tried it illegally, so he has no idea how to bring it up to a psychiatrist and actually get a script for it. Not to mention SwiPA lives in the states.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:50
Titanium Member

Male from Sweden
bob_arctor is on the way upbob_arctor is on the way upbob_arctor is on the way upbob_arctor is on the way up
Points: 534, Level: 3 Points: 534, Level: 3 Points: 534, Level: 3
Activity: 0.7% Activity: 0.7% Activity: 0.7%

SWIM has been on different SSRI, SNRI, TCA for years now, during a debilitating round of depressive returning episodes, mainly showing itself as social anxiety and general heavy dysthymia. Recently SWIM was prescribed Lyrica (pregabalin) and suddenly found himself able to handle a regular job in a food market. Now he has even persuaded his doctor to let him go off the anafranil (Clomopramin) so SWIM is flying free without help from those antidepressives for the first time in years. For sure mood is more variable, in a bad way, but it seems conclusively proven that social anxiety was the main problem for SWIM.

Also recently diagnosed with asperger syndrome, perhaps this has interfered with the slim action of the various drugs during the years. At least for this person, Pregabalin has worked as a (hitherto) non-addictive alternative to antidepressives and their negative side effects.
Old 04-07-2008, 00:06

Male
branflakes is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1

yeah, i was wondering if a doctor would be hesitant about a patient asking for a scheduled V drug
Old 05-07-2008, 02:05
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

49 y/o Male
NeuroMD is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 166, Level: 2 Points: 166, Level: 2 Points: 166, Level: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by branflakes View Post
yeah, i was wondering if a doctor would be hesitant about a patient asking for a scheduled V drug
In such cases Gabapentin may work.

Informative
Old 02-11-2008, 22:27
Palladium Member

Male from United States
imyourlittlebare really knows their shit.imyourlittlebare really knows their shit.imyourlittlebare really knows their shit.imyourlittlebare really knows their shit.imyourlittlebare really knows their shit.imyourlittlebare really knows their shit.imyourlittlebare really knows their shit.imyourlittlebare really knows their shit.imyourlittlebare really knows their shit.imyourlittlebare really knows their shit.
Points: 1,875, Level: 6 Points: 1,875, Level: 6 Points: 1,875, Level: 6
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%

I use pregabalin for fiber mylnosia or whatever. I was just diagnosed a week ago. I dont think it would help with depression. Surprisingly if you look online there is a recent article that talks about alprozam and how it greatly reduced depressive and anxious symptoms and the nice thing is you most likely wont have to increase your dose as long as you realize that the sedative effect is different from the anxiolytic effect. Anyway, pregablin effects certain chemicals that may not be beneficial for depressed people. It does kill my physical pain though along with clonazepam.
Old 06-12-2008, 17:28
Silver Member

25 y/o Male from Norway
Man5onite is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 169, Level: 2 Points: 169, Level: 2 Points: 169, Level: 2

Pregabalin in conjunction with diazepam eliminated SWIM's anxiety.
Diazepam alone did not kill his anxiety.
Good combo for SWIM, but he did get a bit tired.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:11

27 y/o Male from United States
p4oloz is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1

dosage ?
Old 10-08-2009, 17:33

Male
paragoric should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.

anyone know if neuritonin (one of the gabas) works for this also
Old 10-08-2009, 21:57
Silver Member

Male from United States
paranoid_android is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 314, Level: 2 Points: 314, Level: 2 Points: 314, Level: 2

It may, but dosing is fucked. The higher the dose you need to be on, the more spread out it has to be- the bioavailability decreases as the individual dose size increases. Although, at this point you might be talking about euphoria/mania-inducing doses. The coolest thing about that effect is that all over your vision you start getting weird electrical-looking hallucinations like the jump scars in the movie Jumper.

Last edited by paranoid_android; 19-02-2010 at 20:29. Reason: Must have been completely retarded when I posted this
Old 10-10-2009, 16:39

31 y/o Female
princesstalufa is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 9, Level: 1 Points: 9, Level: 1 Points: 9, Level: 1

Lyrica was horrible. I started it (LEGALLY) when it first came out, and the doc put me on the "recommended" dosage, which was 300 mg per day, which is incredibly high (no docs really knew much about it then), and it f-ed me up! I was so bloated I looked pregnant, and I felt all weird and loopy, and not in a good way. It did nothing for fibro pain, and certainly not depression or anxiety!
Old 25-11-2009, 01:53
Titanium Member

Male from Sweden
bob_arctor is on the way upbob_arctor is on the way upbob_arctor is on the way upbob_arctor is on the way up
Points: 534, Level: 3 Points: 534, Level: 3 Points: 534, Level: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid_android View Post
It may, but dosing is fucked. The higher the dose you need to be on, the more spread out it has to be, since the bioavailability decreases as the individual dose size dose.

Interesting - didn't know this, but seems plausible based on SWIMs experience. Do you have any references?
Old 26-01-2010, 06:08

34 y/o Male
JJZe is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Re:SSRI Withdrawal

My two-cents to this, having experienced discontinuation with 3 different medications:

Prozac (fluoxetine): I quit cold-turkey from 40 mg a day with little negative effect. I did start to have severe stomach cramping shortly after stopping, but that was a problem I had before I started Prozac and which I felt was just a return to normal for me.

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): This one was downright ugly. I would go into mild withdrawal from the medication if I missed a dose; this mostly entailed feeling a little bit out of it and occasional parasthesias. It's been a while, so I'm not sure, but I do think I tapered a bit before I quit this one. When I quit, I felt constantly disoriented, had some vertigo and almost fell down a couple of times, and would get very strong parasthesias that would start in my neck when I turned my head a certain way and go down my leg. This lasted for about 1.5 weeks at full-force, then slowly subsided over the next month or so.

Celexa (citalopram): Just quit this one about 2 weeks ago and the withdrawal has been mild and feels nearly over with. I have been more prone to agitation, more emotional (i.e. I get all sobby for very little reason), had some minor disorientation, and very minor parasthesias. The worst part/possible not withdrawal part, is that my anxiety has been creeping back in.

Every time I quit antidepressants, it is because I've felt that they have an incredible ability to dull life. I haven't been in a relationship for 3 years, nor have I really had the drive to be in one or even to seek out sexual partners. Everything is fine all the time, but nothing is ever great. I just float along adequately content all the time. I think it would be a good trade-off if I was still as much of a mess as I was in my early twenties, but even with the bouts of anxiety I've dealt with through my late twenties I do not feel like the trade-off is worth it. I've been productive, having completed a master's degree, so it's not like citalopram sapped everything out of me. It just makes living a solitary life much more tolerable if not downright acceptable. I think that is the biggest danger in SSRIs.
Old 27-01-2010, 13:25
Silver Member

Male from United States
Matt The Funk is captain of the psychonauts.Matt The Funk is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 3, Level: 1 Points: 3, Level: 1 Points: 3, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid_android View Post
It may, but dosing is fucked. The higher the dose you need to be on, the more spread out it has to be, since the bioavailability decreases as the individual dose size dose. Although, at this point you might be talking about euphoria/mania-inducing doses. The coolest thing about that effect is that all over your vision you start getting weird electrical-looking hallucinations like the jump scars in the movie Jumper.
That is Gabapentin, not Pregabalin. I think Pregabalin is the future. IMHO it's a step in the right direction too. Getting closer to medications that actually help.
Old 06-02-2010, 13:09
Silver Member

25 y/o Male from Ireland
drugresearcher is an unknown quantity at this point

My pet tarantula (Dave) had been on Lyrica for quite some time now, he never had a perscription for them and he told me that he had just obtained them from one of his friends. Dave has the 200mg capsules and he found that they work very well for sleep disorders, depression and moderate anxiety.
Allthough scientifically they dont dont directly interact with the brain's serotonin or dopamine receptors, they do seem to have a strong anti-derpression effect for him (as I have noticed a good change in his mood's ) and for a few of his friends have aslo told him the same.

Dave personally found lyrica to be equally as effective as Clonazepam for anxiety but he was taking 400mg of Lyrica generally just for sleep purposes and/or anxiety. Even tho these tablets made him feel alot happier with himself he also told me that he seems to get sad sometimes over things that have happened in the past.

Dave got addicted to Lyrica quite easily as he could easily obtain them illegaly from friends for a small some of money so be careful! Dave also told me that he expierenced severe erectile dysfunction (ED) problems after 10 days of use and this problem persisted until he came of the medication. This is due to the decreased blood pressure in the body he thinks.
This is the only negative side effect he noticed, other neutral side effects include
  • drowsiness
  • mild confusion (but does get worse at higher doses)
  • short-term memory loss
  • sadness (comes & goes pretty quick)
Positive effects include
  • greatly enhanced quality of sleep
  • moderate-strong anti-depressant effect's
  • decreased anxiety/worry
  • excellent muscle relaxer
  • increased appetite

Data from a series of phase II and III placebo-controlled clinical studies in over 1,200 patients with generalised anxiety disorder suggest that Lyrica (pregabalin) will be effective for this disabling disorder. In comparison with venlafaxine, pregabalin provided more rapid relief of psychic and somatic symptoms. In comparison with alprazolam (a benzodiazepine), Lyrica (pregabalin) appeared equally effective in reducing somatic symptoms. Overall, these findings show that Lyrica (pregabalin) combines the benefits of both antidepressants and benzodiazepines. It appears at least as rapid as benzodiazepines against somatic symptoms, while providing more rapid control of psychic symptoms than antidepressants.

This extract doesn't completly prove my point but it backs up some of my opinion's, Lyrica is probably best used in conjunction with a benzo for anxiety but its worth a shot trying Lyrica on their own.
Be carfeul though as they messed up my pet parrot's life as he became addicted to the feeling them gave him and once the told the doctor he was still suffering from neurological pain the doctors were quite happy to keep handing hin out Lyrica in high doses every month.
Its 12 months later and he is still suffering from sleep disorders i.e not sleeping, having the same bad nightmare night after night, waking up every hour... also he is experienceing mild panic atticks which he must go on further medication to combat this.
Sorry for all the waffling but I just wouldn't like to see anyone else experiece what my pet parrot did.

Any other SWIMMERS out there have similar opinions?

Good information! I hope Dave the tarantula is doing alright
Shared personal experience of pros/cons & added relevant research. Thanks
Old 11-02-2010, 19:41
Palladium Member

Male from United States
imyourlittlebare really knows their shit.imyourlittlebare really knows their shit.imyourlittlebare really knows their shit.imyourlittlebare really knows their shit.imyourlittlebare really knows their shit.imyourlittlebare really knows their shit.imyourlittlebare really knows their shit.imyourlittlebare really knows their shit.imyourlittlebare really knows their shit.imyourlittlebare really knows their shit.

Lyrica blocks a specific part of these things called calcium channels. They also may have some effect on the GABAB system. This is where it gets complicated. Blocking calcium channels decreases alot of activity. Decreased NT release, decreased GABA A activity, decreased muscle tone, increased risk for seizure. GABA B agonists impair memory severely, cause intense physiological dependence not well understood, decreases GABA A activity (receptors associated with decreasing neuronal activity, anxiety, and fear).

Alprazolam is approved for minor to moderate depression. Plus, the starting dose for this drug is significantly lower than the dose required to maintain physiological dependence.

Even at 100 mg, pregabalin causes your body to be very physiologically dependent. Higher the dose, worse it is. Excessive NT release causes a variety of problems. Its not the worlds safest medicine. Im not advocating benzodiazepines like xanax, but they are actually approved for moderate depression and effective doses are significantly lower than doses that cause physiological dependence. Talk to a doctor about these things and issues.

Kava-kava, an herb with well researched effects, was just recently approved for MDD and anxiety disorders by the WHO. I got the sources if anyone wants them. But the nice thing about kava, no physiological dependence. Very interesting phenomenon due to its mechanism of action. The various chemicals active in kava reduce muscle tension, decrease anxiety, increase norepinephrine, increases dopamine in nucleus accumbens increase working memory, decrease test-anxiety (my research currently unpublished), reduces pain significantly, decreases physiological symptoms associated w panic attacks, is as effective as buspirone & benzodiazepines, and as I mentioned does NOT cause addiction (possibly due to mild NMDA antagonistic action). Safe drug, a lot of research looking into it for treatment of other disorders, developing novel muscle relaxants, and novel anesthetics. Even if your on a benzodiazepine, the drug will be effective after discontinuation.

Talk to a doctor about everything. Lyrica (pregabalin) is not the worlds safest drugs esp for psychiatric disorders. In the literature, w/d is compared to beta blockers & GHB which can have nasty effects. The benefits outweigh the risks in certain conditions. But it can increase depressive symptoms (just like the commercial says....although paradoxically it can cause euphoria too which I believe is a load).

Last edited by imyourlittlebare; 11-02-2010 at 19:45. Reason: mistakes that needed editing on my part...sorry
Old 23-02-2010, 03:35

30 y/o Female from United States
BikesAreBetter is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 37, Level: 1 Points: 37, Level: 1 Points: 37, Level: 1

SWIM says Lyrica causes Weight Gain..Doesn't sound like a drug SWIM would want to take.
Old 25-02-2010, 10:36
Titanium Member

Male from United Kingdom
Lukeoca is captain of the psychonauts.Lukeoca is captain of the psychonauts.

Out of interest, would Swiys prefer an anti-phsycotic medication or a mood-stabalizer for off label treatment of anxiety ?
Old 27-02-2010, 07:51
Psychedelic Shepherdess

37 y/o Female from United Kingdom
Jatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond reputeJatelka is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 10,860, Level: 15 Points: 10,860, Level: 15 Points: 10,860, Level: 15
Activity: 6.8% Activity: 6.8% Activity: 6.8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by imyourlittlebare View Post
Even at 100 mg, pregabalin causes your body to be very physiologically dependent
References?
Old 27-02-2010, 09:10

32 y/o Male from Russia
brizer should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.

Lyrica (pregabalin), very effective during the withdrawal syndrome (opiates). And they use it mostly for lifting breaking. The only thing is the fact that this drug has not been fully studied and apply it to other facilities is very dangerous.
very effective during the withdrawal syndrome. And they use it mostly for lifting breaking. The only thing is the fact that this drug has not been fully studied and apply it to other facilities is very dangerous.
Old 28-02-2010, 08:05
Titanium Member

Male from Sao Tome and Principe
Flying Mind probably knows what they are talking about.Flying Mind probably knows what they are talking about.Flying Mind probably knows what they are talking about.Flying Mind probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 430, Level: 3 Points: 430, Level: 3 Points: 430, Level: 3

Well SWIM is on day 4. There is definitely a subtle mood lifting effect. He has been taking 150mg Lyrica (pregabalin) 2x Twice daily, one in morning one time evening.

The first day was the best. He experienced euphoria for approximately 3hrs only then subsided into a semi-uncomfortable "mind fog" and disappointment of the short-lived happiness.

So far finding the antidepressant effect OK.

=========================================
Here is his account on Day 1.
First dose (never taken this medicine before)
T+00:00 - 175mg ingested pregabalin
T+00:55 - 50mg 5HTP / "5hour energy" shot

T+01:35 - At work now. And all SWIM can say is WOW. He has a big grin on his face and can't stop smiling.

The "controlled euphoria" meaning it wasn't overwhelming, persists approximate 3hrs.

SWIM hasn't felt this happy in a long time. Again, he can't stop smiling. It's like hes trying to "hold back" his happiness so others don't suspect he's high or something.

Side effects: Very RED eyes, looks as if just smoked marijuana (NOT good!)

T+05:20 Seems to have lost the constant euphoria. Mellowed out into a semi-comfortable brain fog.

SWIM is somewhat disappointed to loose the sate of happiness he was in. Actually very disappointed.

It can be best described as "going up" those few hours, peaking and then leveling out.

During the onset the antidepressant effect was very pronounced. It had caught SWIM by surprise and left him very curious.

Experience ended with curiosity and disappointment because the Antidepressant effects were so short lived.
=================================

Summery: The first experience left SWIM disappointed yet ever more curious.

Day 2

SWIM ate a rather large meal, greasy fatty food. A hamburger and onion rings.

Took one 175mg dose at 3:00pm.

Took a nap on couch, awoke 5:20 (T+02:20). The effects were present but not nearly as nice as yesterday. He can feel the physical effects but no (or unnoticeable) antidepressant effect.

Goes to work at 6:45. Not feeling as "euphoric" as yesterday. Actually the effects are hardly noticeable.

At approximately 9:00 he takes a second dosage (175mg).

OK. 10:50 starting to feel it, much more noticeable, but no overly pronounced happiness, more just feeling content.

Effects

Body-load: Body feels heavier (all over). For example, head feels "bobbing" or prone to nodding, AND arms/legs feel wavy.

Sense of well-being: Not overwhelming. Definitely a good sense of well-being.

Eyes: Look perfectly fine, not at all bloodshot and no noticeable dilation. Perfectly normal.

Very noticeable anti-anxiety effect. SWIM doesn't have anxiety but noticed effects he can see other with anxiety to benefit.

Very noticeable visual effect, "Tracers". SWIM in a dark room waved his cellphone back light in circular motions. He noticed definite tracers.

Closed Eye Visuals: SWIM finds there is a very subtle CEV effect. He saw "Flashes of Light". Best described as a lightning with his eyes closed. Interesting indeed.

Now @ 11:26 (T+02:26 after second dose) he still feels a good antidepressant effect (again, just a subtle sense of "well-being". Also noticed there is short waves of sadness that come and go, but still content and happy with current effects.

=========================

Now on day three he feels the medicine has "leveled out", that is it's in his system. There is less feelings of "peaks and valleys" in effect, more consistent effect.

-------------------------
Negative effects noted (Only 3 days)

One night SWIM was literally shaking all over, felt cold. His teeth were chattering even. This happened only one time. This lasted only briefly (maybe 5mins).

The medicine seems to cause a "jittery energy" or "Fight or Flight" response. Somewhat uncomfortable.

SWIM (one time) on second day got a red kind of rash (not sure considered a rash) on his upper chest (above male breast). Subsided after a few hours.

SWIM to some extent feels discoordinated in his movement, somewhat like being "buzzed drunk". He often is bumping into walls and such, lol. Best described as "Stumbling around". BUT If he makes a conscious effort not to, then he can control his movement and coordination.

SWIM feels more prone to "Feeling Cold". Best way to describe it, just feeling more cold often.

SWIM noticed it may mess with cognition. On day two he went to log onto his online banking and kept putting in the wrong password. Granted he did this only 10min after waking and probably still "sleepy head", but still! Eventually he figured out what the correct password was. Possibly this could relate to Gabapentin (brand name Neurontin) or also jokingly known as "Moronitin", because it makes people stupid.

SWIM can freaking taste the medicine (yes, the pills he swallowed). This isn't the first time he's experienced this. One time he took a rather large dose of SAM-e (known formally as S-adenosylmethionine), and could clearly taste the medicine in his mouth hours after swallowing the pills. What dose it(Lyrica) taste like? Well hard to describe... definitely medicine-like.

Concentration goes out the window (See below).

Neutral Effect (can be perceived a "positive" effect)

Sexual - Delayed ejaculation. Best described as being dissociated, easily distracted by surroundings. BASICALLY hard to "concentrate". This loss of concentration goes beyond the bedroom as well. For those who know what DXM feels like, its almost the same sensation.

----------------------------

Conclusion

In conclusion, thus far, SWIM is enjoying the subtle antidepressant effect. However hes somewhat conflicted with the negative effects, particularly the "Jittery Energy" and being more prone to "Feeling Cold".

EDIT SWIM wanted to clarify that the "Jittery Energy" / "Feeling Cold" DOES subside. He notices this most when first taking (maybe an hour or two after it starts).. BUT eventually goes away.

He feels better with it than without, but again conflicted feelings.

Question
(s) / Thoughts
He is curious about Gabapentin (brand name Neurontin) and it's effectiveness on mood-disorders and depression. Because maybe Gabpentin won't carry the negative effects SWIM felt? Gabapentin is also much more affordable being it is no longer patented and is available generic.

Possibly a higher does is needed. SWIM has read of people who take 1,000+mg (1gram) of Lyrica (pregabalin) per day divided in two doses. These people report great results pertaining to mood improvement.

Cycling? Perhaps cycling this GABA-related chemical (pregabalin) is needed or for better? As with many "Nootropics" they need to be cycled to keep effectiveness and avoid "Poop Out" (aka stop working). Basically the idea is to trick the brain, prevent it from being tolerant. Does this make sense?

He thinks maybe combining it with another Antidepressant drug would be the perfect combo possibly. The cloudy and somewhat enjoyable "dream like state" may pair nicely with another antidepressant.

It is possible 5-HTP contributed to the pronounced euphoria experienced on the first dosage, that and the initial "shock" effect.

Other interesting notes

SWIM finds the drug most effective (he can actually feel it) when taken on a completely empty stomach.

He strongly believes bioavailability is a major issue with this medicine.

UPDATE

SWIM feels this drug in no way could be as effective (generally for most people) as SSRIs.

After being on it about a couple weeks he will conclude for him it truly does nothing for mood. Yes, it helps anxiety he can tell (even though he no longer has issues with anxiety) but he can see it helping those who do.

For him, even taking higher doses, its just physically acts as a somewhat effective pain reliever. He still feels down all the time though.

Granted, this medicine may be useful augmenting other antidepressants for the anti-anxiety properties, but again, in no way does this medicine brighten SWIM's mood. He still feels blue all the time as usual, depressed.

New side-effects noted...

When taking doses of 500mg or more SWIM noticed every time he would shortly (after administration) he would notice he can taste the medicine! It's like its in his blood stream and persperates through the pallet of his tongue! Not that bothersome but kinda gross.

Increase in appetite. Wow, All SWIM can say. Lately his been feeling hungry and eating much more. A lot more.

Conclusion (Revised)

OK his body is fully used to the medicine now. And now feels it's appropriate to conclude this drug is not for him. For him there is no antidepressant effect.

He speculates (can't say for sure becuase he doesn't suffer from any form of anxiety) that Lyrica is good for anxiety, but possibly not the best choice out there.

SWIM just feels very dizzy all the time, sleepy, hungry, and pain free (physically).

No relief from depression symptoms.

Same old SWIM, down all the time with depressed feeling.

Bottom line, In SWIMS opinion,
this medicine is great for pain, mussel aches and possibly anxiety. BUT not especially for depression.

But then again, everyone is different. So this is not to say it won't work for SWIY!

EDIT 3/13/10

New side-effect!

Best put, "Dick Seizures". Never noticed this before taking this medicine. SWIM on average a couple times a day gets this "sensation below" that his penis is vibrating. Feeling blood in penis is going in/out really fast causing a vibrating sensation. Weird stuff... The feeling usally subsides very quickly (probably less than one minute) but is quite odd to say the least.

Hope this helps

Interesting observations, and good descriptions: An excellent addition to the thread

Last edited by Flying Mind; 14-03-2010 at 02:58.
Old 23-10-2010, 09:51
Banned

44 y/o Male from Afghanistan
adelante is an unknown quantity at this point

swims take 50 mg at thee morning with food, and he is feeling very good all day long.
first days he experienced E like moods and hempaty.
no sides, only a diffulty in sleeping the first day.
he also experienced less back pain.
Old 24-10-2010, 00:46
Titanium Member

Male from Australia
Troppo is on the way upTroppo is on the way upTroppo is on the way up
Points: 700, Level: 4 Points: 700, Level: 4 Points: 700, Level: 4

Swim believes that pregabalin/Lyrica may work quite well but only if the person taking it is not chasing a high or otherwise trying to use it recreationally. Using it like that will probably give a sort of high to begin with but tolerance to that effect can set in quickly. Swim found this out when trying to use the drug recreationally himself.

If used the way it is intended, starting off at a lowish dose (eg. 75 mg twice a day) and gradually increasing to a high dose (eg. 300 mg twice a day), then Lyrica probably has more of a chance of working as hoped for anxiety, without tolerance skyrocketing. Swim hopes to try it again but this time he is going to use it medicinally rather than recreationally. It should be noted that the drug has quite a short half-life compared to a long-acting drug such as diazepam/Valium, and swim thinks its half-life is even shorter than that of alprazolam/Xanax.

The drug may have various side effects and withdrawal effects in some people but this is also a problem for many other medications used to treat anxiety and depression, including conventional antidepressants. One possible idea would be to rotate the drug with something else like Xanax to see if that minimised Lyrica-specific problems like tolerance and withdrawals (that's if cross-tolerance doesn't happen with benzos).

Swim thinks it's about damned time that something new like this was actually approved for anxiety. At least it allows an alternative to the standard, years-old drugs like SSRIs and benzos, without having to go off-label.
Old 25-10-2010, 00:03
Palladium Member

Male from United States

On December 31, 2004, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved pregabalin [(S)-3-(aminomethyl)-5-methylhexanoic acid] for marketing under the trade name LyricaTM. LyricaTM will be marketed in the United States as a prescription drug product for the management of neuropathic pain associated with diabetic peripheral neuropathy (DPN) and postherpetic neuralgia (PHN). Pregabalin has recently been placed on the market in some European countries for the treatment of epilepsy and neuropathic pain.
Unlike morphine-type analgesics, pregabalin does not produce analgesia through binding at opioid receptors. While pregabalin is an analog of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA), a major inhibitory neurotransmitter in the brain, it does not bind at GABA or benzodiazepine receptors nor alter GABA concentrations in the brain. Pregabalin does bind with high affinity to the alpha 2-delta receptor site (a subunit of voltage-gated calcium channels) in the central nervous system. The binding of pregabalin at this site is thought to be responsible for its therapeutic effect on neuropathic pain.
Pregabalin has been shown to produce effects that are similar to other controlled substances. In a study with recreational users of sedative/hypnotic drugs, a 450 mg dose of pregabalin resulted in subjective ratings of "good drug effect,'' "high,'' and "liking'' similar to 30 mg of diazepam. In clinical studies, pregabalin showed an adverse event profile similar to other central nervous system depressants. Some of these effects included dizziness, somnolence, ataxia, and confusion. Following abrupt or rapid discontinuation of pregabalin, some patients reported symptoms suggestive of physical dependence. The FDA determined that the dependence profile of pregabalin, as measured by a patient physical withdrawal checklist, was quantitatively less than benzodiazepines in schedule IV of the CSA.
On April 4, 2005, the Acting Assistant Secretary for Health of the DHHS sent the Administrator of the DEA a scientific and medical evaluation and a letter recommending that pregabalin be placed into Schedule V of the CSA. Enclosed with the April 4, 2005, letter was a document prepared by the FDA entitled, "Basis for the Recommendation for Control of Pregabalin in Schedule V of the Controlled Substances Act (CSA).'' The document contained a review of the factors which the CSA requires the Secretary to consider (21 U.S.C. 811(b)).
The factors considered by the Acting Assistant Secretary of Health and DEA with respect to pregabalin were:
(1) Its actual or relative potential for abuse;
(2) Scientific evidence of its pharmacological effects;
(3) The state of current scientific knowledge regarding the drug;
(4) Its history and current pattern of abuse;
(5) The scope, duration, and significance of abuse;
(6) What, if any, risk there is to the public health;
(7) Its psychic or physiological dependence liability; and
(8) Whether the substance is an immediate precursor of a substance already controlled under this subchapter. (21 U.S.C. 811(c))
Based on the recommendation of the Acting Assistant Secretary for Health, received in accordance with section 201(b) of the Act (21 U.S.C. 811(b)), and the independent review of the available data by the DEA, the Deputy Administrator of the DEA, pursuant to sections 201(a) and 201(b) of the Act (21 U.S.C. 811(a) and 811(b)), finds that:
(1) Based on information now available, pregabalin has a low potential for abuse relative to the drugs or other substances in Schedule IV;
(2) Pregabalin has a currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States; and
(3) Abuse of pregabalin may lead to limited physical dependence or psychological dependence relative to the drugs or other substances in Schedule IV. (21 U.S.C. 812(b)(5))
Based on these findings, the Deputy Administrator of the DEA concludes that pregabalin, including its salts, and all products containing pregabalin, warrant control in Schedule V of the CSA.
Interested persons are invited to submit their comments, objections or requests for a hearing with regard to this proposal. Requests for a hearing should state, with particularity, the issues concerning which the person desires to

Sorry I didnt respond however long ago this was.

Share this on:

Tags
anti-depressants, anxiety treatment, anxiety treatments, downers, drug, lyrica, pregabalin, ssri, withdrawal, withdrawals