Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 02-10-2005, 03:21
Banned

stone07 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 83, Level: 1 Points: 83, Level: 1 Points: 83, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Swim has found some vicodin es, but it expired 3 years ago. The bottle hasnt been opened untill today and has been kept in a cool, dry place. Should swim take them or is there a risk taking pills that expired 3 years ago?
Old 02-10-2005, 04:53
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Male from United States
Red_Baran is an unknown quantity at this point

SWIM took some hydro that was expired in 92 and it was the best hydro SWIM ever took (swim has been using hydro for quite some time) but when SWIM was comming down from the old pills it screwed with SWIMs vision SWIM was driving and objects would seemto jump at SWIM as if there was a skip in SWIMs vision

SWIM used thoes pills like 4 times and SWIMs vision was scrued up each time, but never with non expired hydro
Old 03-10-2005, 07:53

28 y/o Male from United States
umich should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Points: 244, Level: 2 Points: 244, Level: 2 Points: 244, Level: 2
I dont think there should be a problem. Those are 7.5/750's am I right? Worst case scenario they will lose some of their potency but you have plenty to go around. Just be careful of the APAP amount you consume. Don't take more than 4 of these (3000mg) at once. If you want to take more, try a cold water extraction. Good luck
Old 31-01-2006, 09:05

PooSniper is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 23, Level: 1 Points: 23, Level: 1 Points: 23, Level: 1
Vicodin Expiration question.

Hey I searched the forum for this but found very little: I found some Vicodin 5/500. However it is pretty old, one bottle says its expiration is 10-01 the other bottle says it expired like 16/98. These are pretty old obviously and I would expect them to decrease in potency. I have tried them and they got me high. However I was also still somewhat high on Adderall when I took them so, I would not expect the amount of Vicodin that I took to be a very good indication of potency.

My question is whether or not they lie about the expiration date for Vicodin like they do with Adderall. For example if your Adderall expired during 2005 it would still have like 2 years before it would start to really start losing potency. Yea so, if this is true I want to know how many years I can safely subtract from the time that the Vicodin has been losing potency.
Old 21-07-2006, 04:14

45 y/o Male from United States
dude should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1
swim just told me that he stole his aunts perc's. They were 4 years old and worked GREAT
Old 21-07-2006, 04:23

Male
Forthesevenlakes really knows their shit.Forthesevenlakes really knows their shit.Forthesevenlakes really knows their shit.Forthesevenlakes really knows their shit.Forthesevenlakes really knows their shit.Forthesevenlakes really knows their shit.Forthesevenlakes really knows their shit.Forthesevenlakes really knows their shit.Forthesevenlakes really knows their shit.Forthesevenlakes really knows their shit.
Points: 2,192, Level: 7 Points: 2,192, Level: 7 Points: 2,192, Level: 7
the opiates shouldnt degrade over time, to swim's knowledge. he once read a report on erowid of someone taking morphine that had aged 30 years and it was still good.

the danger, swim thinks, would be in the acetaminophen expiring. swim knows that aspirin, when it has aged a certain amount of time, can degrade into a potentially harmful compound. swim would not be surprised if acetaminophen did the same thing over time. so, if swiy is going to use old pills, be sure to do a CWE first.
Old 21-07-2006, 05:12
Ethnobotanical Cannibal

Male from United States
Bajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond reputeBajeda is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 7,179, Level: 12 Points: 7,179, Level: 12 Points: 7,179, Level: 12
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%
Swim accidentally took oxycontin that was over 8 months expired and was fine. The drugs worked as normal.

I found an article before on prescription drug expiration dates that I thought was pretty useful. I'll post it below, and I suggest you take a looksie at it.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/fhg/up...ate1103a.shtml

Quote:
Drug Expiration Dates - Do They Mean Anything?

With a splitting headache you reach into your medicine cabinet for some aspirin only to find the stamped expiration date on the bottle has passed - two years ago. So, do you take it or don't you? If you decide to take the aspirin will it be a fatal mistake or will you simply continue to suffer from the headache?
This is a dilemma many people face in some way or another. A column published in Pyschopharmacology Today offers some advice.
It turns out that the expiration date on a drug does stand for something, but probably not what you think it does. Since a law was passed in 1979, drug manufacturers are required to stamp an expiration date on their products. This is the date at which the manufacturer can still guarantee the full potency and safety of the drug.
Most of what is known about drug expiration dates comes from a study conducted by the Food and Drug Administration at the request of the military. With a large and expensive stockpile of drugs, the military faced tossing out and replacing its drugs every few years. What they found from the study is 90% of more than 100 drugs, both prescription and over-the-counter, were perfectly good to use even 15 years after the expiration date.
So the expiration date doesn't really indicate a point at which the medication is no longer effective or has become unsafe to use. Medical authorities state expired drugs are safe to take, even those that expired years ago. A rare exception to this may be tetracycline, but the report on this is controversial among researchers. It's true the effectiveness of a drug may decrease over time, but much of the original potency still remains even a decade after the expiration date. Excluding nitroglycerin, insulin, and liquid antibiotics, most medications are as long-lasting as the ones tested by the military. Placing a medication in a cool place, such as a refrigerator, will help a drug remain potent for many years.
Is the expiration date a marketing ploy by drug manufacturers, to keep you restocking your medicine cabinet and their pockets regularly? You can look at it that way. Or you can also look at it this way: The expiration dates are very conservative to ensure you get everything you paid for. And, really, if a drug manufacturer had to do expiration-date testing for longer periods it would slow their ability to bring you new and improved formulations.
The next time you face the drug expiration date dilemma, consider what you've learned here. If the expiration date passed a few years ago and it's important that your drug is absolutely 100% effective, you might want to consider buying a new bottle. And if you have any questions about the safety or effectiveness of any drug, ask your pharmacist. He or she is a great resource when it comes to getting more information about your medications.
Old 21-07-2006, 11:42

26 y/o Male from United Kingdom
Fantasian really knows their shit.Fantasian really knows their shit.Fantasian really knows their shit.Fantasian really knows their shit.Fantasian really knows their shit.Fantasian really knows their shit.Fantasian really knows their shit.Fantasian really knows their shit.
Points: 2,756, Level: 7 Points: 2,756, Level: 7 Points: 2,756, Level: 7
SWIF has used expired morphine before effectivly.

SWIF agrees with the above article.
Old 02-10-2006, 03:28

Male
oj626 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1
Does hydrocodone expire?

My buddy wants to know if the hydrocodone/vicodens he was prescribed to are still good. He has 500mg WATSONS that he was originally prescribed to on 6/05. Yay or nay?
Old 02-10-2006, 03:33

Male
Forthesevenlakes really knows their shit.Forthesevenlakes really knows their shit.Forthesevenlakes really knows their shit.Forthesevenlakes really knows their shit.Forthesevenlakes really knows their shit.Forthesevenlakes really knows their shit.Forthesevenlakes really knows their shit.Forthesevenlakes really knows their shit.Forthesevenlakes really knows their shit.Forthesevenlakes really knows their shit.
The short answer is that theyre not expired, if theyre only a bit over a year old.

The long answer is that it takes opiates a while to expire, but the acetaminophen in the pill could eventually expire. This process, however, it takes years.

Also, the hydrocodone is not 500 mg. That is the amount of acetaminophen in the pill. there should be another number before the "/500" on the bottle. That first number is the amount of hydrocodone in the pill. Most likely a "5".
Old 02-10-2006, 03:49

Male
My buddy is new to this. You where right it says 5/500. Thanks.
Old 02-10-2006, 03:52

Male
Anytime. Have fun, but not too much fun =]

May SWIM suggest using the opiate dosages guide if he is new to hydrocodone.
Old 02-10-2006, 03:55

Male
SWIM said the first time he did hydrocodone he had taken 2 of the pills mentioned above along with a couple glasses of wine. SWIM was messed up.
Old 02-10-2006, 04:10

Male
2 pills is a good starting dose. Be careful with the alcohol though, its easy to overdo.
Old 02-10-2006, 04:57
Banned

27 y/o Male
SPWIM needs to UTFSE some more before posting.
If your buddy got these on prescription then the packaging probably has an expiration date on it (not to be confused with prescription date).
Old 21-11-2006, 01:48

34 y/o Male
george13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hydrocodone still Potent?

Swim got a bottle of hydrocodone that expired in 2005.

Would they still be any good? or should i toss them?

I'm hoping theyre still kickin...

thanks for any help.
Old 21-11-2006, 02:37

Male
Re: Still Potent?

They should still be good if they were in a cool, dark place. Morphine can remain good for at least 30 years, SWIM thinks hydrocodone would last quite a while as well.

There is a risk of the aspirin or tylenol in the pill eventually going bad first, but if it does it will smell like vinegar, and it takes more than a year for that to happen, SWIM thinks.

To be absolutely sure no aspirin or acetaminophen is in the final product (and save SWIY's liver some wear) why not do a cold water extraction on the pills before using them?

Post Quality Evaluations:
informative answer to ops question
Old 06-07-2007, 00:44
Banned

34 y/o Male
soma is captain of the psychonauts.soma is captain of the psychonauts.
Re: Vicodin Expiration question.

My kitten has used 7 year old hydrocodone without issue. Oddly enough, they seemed just as potent, too.
Old 28-07-2007, 21:32

Male
big_erb is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Vicodin Expiration question.

The APAP in narc combos, after time, will become more toxic to the liver, the narc usually most of its potentcy long after expiration..

knowing that the liver can usually handle up to 4 grams of apap a day, I would cut this number in half for expired meds...
Old 27-10-2007, 00:21

Male
incizion is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 53, Level: 1 Points: 53, Level: 1 Points: 53, Level: 1
Question about hydros.

Hey here is a quick question for you guys. SWIM has been attending college for a few months and has come to like Hydros alot. SWIM just came home for the weekend and found a bottle of 5/500 Lortab Hydrocodones in his moms medicene closet. The date the bottle was issued was 9/25/05. Is it still safe for SWIM to take these?
Old 27-10-2007, 00:24
R.I.P.

Male
raven3davis must live here.raven3davis must live here.raven3davis must live here.raven3davis must live here.raven3davis must live here.raven3davis must live here.raven3davis must live here.raven3davis must live here.
Points: 1,822, Level: 6 Points: 1,822, Level: 6 Points: 1,822, Level: 6
Re: Question about hydros.

There shouldn't be a problem it doesn't decompose into anything dangerous at worse they might be a little bit weak.
Old 27-10-2007, 00:28

Male
incizion is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 53, Level: 1 Points: 53, Level: 1 Points: 53, Level: 1

phew thanks. SWIM didnt want to have any liver damage from old pills.
Old 27-10-2007, 01:16
Platinum Member & Advisor

28 y/o Male from United States
trptamene must think in IUPACtrptamene must think in IUPACtrptamene must think in IUPACtrptamene must think in IUPACtrptamene must think in IUPACtrptamene must think in IUPACtrptamene must think in IUPACtrptamene must think in IUPACtrptamene must think in IUPACtrptamene must think in IUPACtrptamene must think in IUPAC
Points: 4,724, Level: 10 Points: 4,724, Level: 10 Points: 4,724, Level: 10

From the rules:

• Use descriptive Topic Subject. This will help others find what they want to read. Topics with bad Topic subjects may be deleted! - there's nothing more annoying than looking at all those stupid "A stupid question" subject lines. I mean, I'm damn lazy, but how hard is it to type "A stupid question about (insert something here)"? As a rule of thumb, most thread titles should include the full name of the drug discussed.

A rule many tend to forget will cause a mass of warnings soon...

I had no idea what this was going to be about based on the title.

How about "Expired hydros -are these safe?"
Old 28-10-2007, 04:40

30 y/o Male
jerbles is an unknown quantity at this point

haha. shit people worry about.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:20
Silver Member

Male from United States
paranoid_android is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 314, Level: 2 Points: 314, Level: 2 Points: 314, Level: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbles View Post
haha. shit people worry about.
Most opiates are fine when taken after the expiration date, as are most medicines in general, but some are not. I can't recall many examples off the top of my head, but I do know that aspirin can become very toxic if used years after its expiration date.

Share this on:

Tags
bad ideas, expired hydrocodone, expired medicine, expiry date, expiry date and safety concerns, hydrocodone