Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Opiates & Opioids > Hydrocodone
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 13-11-2013, 07:57

Female from Earth
tparkk should review received reputation comments.
Points: 26, Level: 1 Points: 26, Level: 1 Points: 26, Level: 1
Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0%
Liver failure from 30mg dose of Vicodin daily??

Someone please help me out here. Somehow, my tolerance has gotten so high to hydrocodone that I'm taking 30mg per dose. Depending on whether it's lortab, Vicodin, norcos, etc. that also equals like 2,000-2,500mg acetaminophen. I've been taking hydro recreationally for almost two years but have only been taking a dose over 20mg for about 2-3 months. I do one dose per day. How long until detrimental effects on my liver start to occur??? Or could it already be too late and should I get checked??? I hope someone has some info because I'm really scared of what I'm doing to myself. Thank you all.
Old 13-11-2013, 08:05
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Male from United Kingdom
Micklemouse is a true resource and beyond reputeMicklemouse is a true resource and beyond reputeMicklemouse is a true resource and beyond reputeMicklemouse is a true resource and beyond reputeMicklemouse is a true resource and beyond reputeMicklemouse is a true resource and beyond reputeMicklemouse is a true resource and beyond reputeMicklemouse is a true resource and beyond reputeMicklemouse is a true resource and beyond reputeMicklemouse is a true resource and beyond reputeMicklemouse is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 6,280, Level: 11 Points: 6,280, Level: 11 Points: 6,280, Level: 11
Activity: 7.6% Activity: 7.6% Activity: 7.6%
Re: Liver failure from 30mg dose of Vicodin daily???? PRETTY PLEASE HELP

Yup, you should definitely get your liver function checked to be on the safe side - 2 grams a day might not sound like much, but all at the same time for a few months does constitute a regular overdose of paracetamol & may well be putting excessive strain on your liver.
Old 13-11-2013, 08:13

Female from Earth

Thank you. You could've just saved my life!
Old 13-11-2013, 08:39
Silver Member

29 y/o Male from United States
cjb85 is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 255, Level: 2 Points: 255, Level: 2 Points: 255, Level: 2
Activity: 1.3% Activity: 1.3% Activity: 1.3%

I agree, you should get checked out. Also, do you consume alcohol? Alcohol increases the potential toxicity of acetaminophen. Certain antiepileptic drugs do also.

Some info on toxicity acquired via Wikipedia...

Toxicity:

The toxic dose of paracetamol is highly variable. In general the recommended maximum daily dose for healthy adults is 4 grams. Higher doses lead to increasing risk of toxicity. In adults, single doses above 10 grams or 200 mg/kg of bodyweight, whichever is lower, have a reasonable likelihood of causing toxicity.

Toxicity can also occur when multiple smaller doses within 24 hours exceeds these levels. Following a normal dose of 1 gram of paracetamol four times a day for two weeks, patients can expect an increase in alanine transaminase in their liver to typically about three times the normal value. It is unlikely that this dose would lead to liver failure.

Studies have shown significant hepatotoxicity is uncommon in patients who have taken greater than normal doses over 3 to 4 days. In adults, a dose of 6 grams a day over the preceding 48 hours could potentially lead to toxicity.

Signs and Symptoms:

The signs and symptoms of paracetamol toxicity occur in three phases. The first phase begins within hours of overdose, and consists of nausea, vomiting, pallor, and sweating. However, patients often have no specific symptoms or only mild symptoms in the first 24 hours of poisoning. Rarely, after massive overdoses, patients may develop symptoms of metabolic acidosis and coma early in the course of poisoning.

The second phase occurs between 24 and 72 hours following overdose and consists of signs of increasing liver damage. In general, damage occurs in hepatocytes as they metabolize the paracetamol. The individual may experience right-upper-quadrant pain. The increasing liver damage also alters biochemical markers of liver function; International normalized ratio (INR) and the hepatic transaminases alanine transaminase and aspartate transaminase rise to abnormal levels. Acute kidney failure may also occur during this phase, typically caused by either hepatorenal syndrome or multiple organ dysfunction syndrome. In some cases, acute kidney failure may be the primary clinical manifestation of toxicity. In these cases, it has been suggested that the toxic metabolite is produced more in the kidneys than in the liver.

The third phase follows at 3 to 5 days, and is marked by complications of massive hepatic necrosis leading to fulminant hepatic failure with complications of coagulation defects, hypoglycemia, kidney failure, hepatic encephalopathy, cerebral edema, sepsis, multiple organ failure, and death. If the third phase is survived, the hepatic necrosis runs its course, and liver and kidney function typically return to normal in a few weeks. The severity of paracetamol toxicity varies depending on the dose and whether appropriate treatment is received.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Lots of information. Very helpful!!

Last edited by cjb85; 13-11-2013 at 08:54.
Old 13-11-2013, 19:30

Female from Earth

[QUOTE=cjb85;1383832]I agree, you should get checked out. Also, do you consume alcohol? Alcohol increases the potential toxicity of acetaminophen. Certain antiepileptic drugs do also.

No I don't drink at all or take any meds except vyvanse, which doesn't interact. But what do I do? Just call my dr and admit to her what I've been doing? Idk if I'm ready for that....
Old 13-11-2013, 19:33
Platinum Member & Advisor

38 y/o Male from Ireland
ianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 21,443, Level: 21 Points: 21,443, Level: 21 Points: 21,443, Level: 21
Activity: 100.0% Activity: 100.0% Activity: 100.0%

Call them or call into them and tell them you are having pains and you are worried that its your liver and you would like them to take or send you for blood tests for peace of mind.
Old 14-11-2013, 13:03
Silver Member

29 y/o Male from United States
cjb85 is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 255, Level: 2 Points: 255, Level: 2 Points: 255, Level: 2
Activity: 1.3% Activity: 1.3% Activity: 1.3%

I mean you don't necessarily have to tell them you're taking vicodin. Acetaminophen is very available and you could just say you feel like you've been using too much over the counter stuff.
Old 21-11-2013, 19:35

Male from United States
wil311 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 23, Level: 1 Points: 23, Level: 1 Points: 23, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Yeah no need to bring up the narcotic aspect of it.
Old 24-11-2013, 14:44

Male from United States
Nailer is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%

I recently went through the same feeling that I was taking too much Acetaminophen and I am taking Norco (knee replacement gone wrong) on a daily basis. I called into my Dr. and said that I was taking Tylenol in between my Norco and was worried I was taking too much so they checked my enzymes and they were fine. I take about 10-10/325 per day along with taking 6 extra strength Tylenol. Yes I know that much is bad for your liver but I can't take ibuprofen and was the only way to get pain relief. So my Doctors response, of course, stop taking the Acetaminophen. Is it possible, since my enzymes came back normal, to build up a resistance or tolerance to Acetaminophen so that higher doses wont do damage?

Share this on:

Tags
hydrocodone, hydrocodone addiction, lortabs, norcos, vicodin abuse, vicodin dose