Register Tags

Notices

Old 04-11-2013, 05:27

41 y/o Male from USA - California
nickyd is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 36, Level: 1 Points: 36, Level: 1 Points: 36, Level: 1
Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3%
Opana vs. OxyContin

How long should Opana last in terms of pain relief? I get maybe 2.5 hrs and it's ER. How does that compare to OxyContin (I've never done OxyContin). OxyContin is an option but not one that my insurance covers. I used OxyCodone 15s for breakthrough pain but it seems like I'm just extending the the relief I should be getting from the Opana.
Old 17-12-2013, 01:40

24 y/o Male from United States
kindgrens should review received reputation comments.
Points: 1, Level: 1 Points: 1, Level: 1 Points: 1, Level: 1
Activity: 0.7% Activity: 0.7% Activity: 0.7%
Re: Opana vs. OxyContin

I know you may feel like the effects have worn off after 2.5 Hrs but there is no way your body can metabolize an ER Opana that fast. They have an average half life of 9 to 11 hours, even the IR Opana have a half life of 5 to 7 hours. Now I'm not saying you will have peak pain relief for those entire periods but you will have some effects so, it seems like your dose is too low and increasing it should increase that time window when you are getting adequate pain relief. For me I get a solid 7-10 hrs of pain relief from the ER formula but I also take an IR formula in between ER doses. That is another option for increasing the amount of time that you are getting adequate pain relief, adding an IR formula to take when you have breakthrough pain and to increase the duration of the pain relief you get from your ER formula.

As far as how it compares to Oxycontin, Opana has a much longer half life. Oxycontin, which is basically the ER formulation of Oxycodone has an average half life of 4.5 hrs and the IR formula, just pure Oxycodone has a half-life of 3.2 hrs. So your better off with the Oxymorphone if your trying to get as long of relief as possible.

Another thing you can do to increase the duration of the effects of Oxymorphone is take Tagamet or white grape fruit juice 45 mins before taking your Oxymorphone. The tagamet or juice is metabolized by the same enzyme that metabolizes the Oxymorphone, so those enzymes are busy metabolizing the Tagamet or juice and allows for more Oxymorphone to be absorbed over a longer period of time before the enzymes to break it down become available again after metabolizing the tagamet or juice.

Hope this helps, wish you all the best managing your pain and feel free to PM me any questions about Opana. I've been on it for a while and know how it compares with other opiates, as I have been on just about all of them at one point or another.

Share this on: