Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > RECOVERY & ADDICTION > Drug Addiction & Recovery > Amphetamines addiction
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Amphetamines addiction Support for coping with Amphetamine-, Meth- and Ecstasy- addiction and Amphetamine addiction treatment.

Old 21-10-2013, 07:38
Silver Member

21 y/o Male from Canada
block-Playboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1
Activity: 1.2% Activity: 1.2% Activity: 1.2%
lethargy and weight gain after quitting meth, is it just me?

2 months ago I stopped using meth on a daily basis and I have been completely off drugs for almost a month now. Before I started using daily I was energetic, in good shape and busy working as well as taking a trades course in college. After I started using daily about 10 months ago now I lost some weight going from 180 lbs and lean to 150 when I moved back home 2 months ago. I have used only twice since then and not within the last month and I now weigh 200lbs and look fat. Is it normal to gain a lot of weight after quitting stimulants? on another note I constantly feel exhausted and have an extremely short temper. I can't bring myself to get back to work and I'm sleeping around 12 hours a day. Is this because I quit meth? and if so what can help get back to normal? I keep feeling like life was better when I was smashing jyb for days on end.
Old 03-11-2013, 23:09

Female from United States
TweakyPete is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 20, Level: 1 Points: 20, Level: 1 Points: 20, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: lethargy and weight gain after quitting meth, is it just me?

I read somewhere that all of that is the usual. The biggest tip I got was plenty of protein. Peanut Butter toast works wonders for me, not a complete cure but it's a big difference. Walking was another tip. I haven't been up to trying that one yet but it's on my to-do list. Hang in there.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:59
Silver Member

Female from Earth
EscapeArtist is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 28, Level: 1 Points: 28, Level: 1 Points: 28, Level: 1
Activity: 0.7% Activity: 0.7% Activity: 0.7%

Yes, those are all very common things someone experiences after quitting meth. I have been clean for just over 12 months now. Once I stopped using, the lethargy I experienced was so severe that I couldn't stay awake during the day, I was sleeping at least 12 hours a day, was exhausted all the time, and couldn't function because of it. Because of this, my doctor actually prescribed me Ritalin (I have ADHD anyway) but it was mainly for narcoleptic symptoms. I also gained weight, I got down to 90lbs while I was using meth, once I stopped using, I am now 120lbs, which is normal and healthy for my weight anyway.

All I can really tell you, from my own personal experience, is that it does get better, slowly but surely. Focus on taking care of yourself physically and mentally. Vitamins can really be beneficial in this situation, eat healthy, exercise, your body and mind will recover eventually.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Good anecdotal advice; over time it will get better!
Old 23-11-2013, 04:16
Silver Member

28 y/o Female from Australia
LostLittleMe is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 121, Level: 1 Points: 121, Level: 1 Points: 121, Level: 1
Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5%

Yeah, im afraid its the 'price' we pay for our demons. We can't think that we can get away from abusing ourselves to a point. I mean we all have different ways on how we cope/veiw things in everyday life but the meth takes somthing from you that from what i am trying to gather is will we ever be the same and if not what are the repercussions we've all noticed in ourselves and the things we have done differently in our day to day lives to make us tick.Life has got to go on i guess so what now after meth??
Old 09-12-2013, 03:44
Silver Member

21 y/o Male from Canada
block-Playboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1
Activity: 1.2% Activity: 1.2% Activity: 1.2%

it's been almost Three months since I started this thread and I have not used meth during that time. I have to say that the despair I felt has completely passed, I am sleeping properly, and have more energy than I feel like I ever have in my life. I am now living a productive and active life working full time and exercising 3-5 times a week. Life is great without being a slave to my own addiction and I am developing new interests and relationships. All I can say to anyone going through the initial withdrawal from methamphetamine is to let yourself sleep and try your best to get back into a normal routine, keep busy and then you will realize one day that your back to your normal self.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Thanks for updating.
Thanks for the update, good to hear your doing great. Your experience is a good example for others.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:52
Silver Member

30 y/o Female from Australia
Meekajayne is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 20, Level: 1 Points: 20, Level: 1 Points: 20, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

For me when I quit meth it took about 2 months to feel normal. I would be so lethargic, hungry, angry, my body would jolt like I was getting electrocuted. But I thank god now I'm back to myself and I can now play with my kids and no longer snap at them.
You should be proud of yourself. Good luck with your recovery.
Old 16-12-2013, 08:22

24 y/o Male from United Kingdom
RogerTheCrackhead needs to post very carefully to avoid a ban by negative reputation.
Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeArtist View Post
Yes, those are all very common things someone experiences after quitting meth. I have been clean for just over 12 months now. Once I stopped using, the lethargy I experienced was so severe that I couldn't stay awake during the day, I was sleeping at least 12 hours a day, was exhausted all the time, and couldn't function because of it. Because of this, my doctor actually prescribed me Ritalin (I have ADHD anyway) but it was mainly for narcoleptic symptoms. I also gained weight, I got down to 90lbs while I was using meth, once I stopped using, I am now 120lbs, which is normal and healthy for my weight anyway.

All I can really tell you, from my own personal experience, is that it does get better, slowly but surely. Focus on taking care of yourself physically and mentally. Vitamins can really be beneficial in this situation, eat healthy, exercise, your body and mind will recover eventually.
This is all you really need to know to quit meth. As EscapeArtist stated, just remeber it gets better with time.
I have had to refrain form all drugs use after daily stimulant use several times, and it only gets better. I experienced the whole eight gain, always hungry, always bitchy and tired mood. Just do what you have to to get through the whole thing and you'l be a better person for it on the other side.
And if you do end up using again, the time was not wasted. Youll be a whole lot higher after a good much needed break
Old 18-12-2013, 19:03

32 y/o Female from United Kingdom
Lou2011 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 77, Level: 1 Points: 77, Level: 1 Points: 77, Level: 1
Activity: 0.7% Activity: 0.7% Activity: 0.7%

(5 months clean) I was using speed everyday for almost 5yrs, I had a few months here 'n' there when I was clean, but everytime I got to the point of weight gain, feeling bored of everyday routeins, pain from the athritis and general low mood I would end up listening to the little dancing demon on my right shoulder and give in to the pull of the addiction ! I REALLY dont want to give in this time but Im at "that point" again and have gained nearly 3st in weight ! It somehow feels different this time cos deep down I know I can beat it, maybe this really is it and I have quit for good but I still feel like I need something to help me but doctors wont prescribe me anything because of my habits ! If anyones knows of any natural alternative to amphetamines then please share .....
Old 19-12-2013, 16:10
Titanium Member

Male from United States
CopiousJackson is captain of the psychonauts.CopiousJackson is captain of the psychonauts.CopiousJackson is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 242, Level: 2 Points: 242, Level: 2 Points: 242, Level: 2
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%

I used...nay, I systematically destroyed all meth around me for damn near 5 years back in the late 90's into the early 00's. Then, I left town with a few scars, physical and emotional. The next 5 years were spent regaining my equilibrium. Don't misunderstand, the physical lethargy went away after about 7 months, and the urge to use was gone shortly there after. After a year, and the advent of online 'marketplaces', I got a single half gram, and found that I no longer liked meth. The addiction was apparently broken.

Weight gain is something that you will struggle with for years to come. I know I did. Until 2 years ago, so ~9 years after I quit using crystal, I was up over 230 and showed no signs of losing it. Now sometime in between then, and me stupidly picking up a less-than-healthy dope habit(clean 7 days today). I started cooking my own food, working out(I got a dog, and that helped immensely, having to walk that little bastard 3 times a day really shed those pounds). Now prior to becoming a dope fiend, I was down to my speed weight, only better, because it was healthy weight loss.

Looking back, if I had just gotten up and done it, I would have lost weight a lot faster.. A few things that I found helped 'nudge' me back on track were L-Tyrosine and Bee Propolis in the morning to get my motor running. And a B-Complex stress vitamin at night. It will help with any underlying mental issues you are dealing with as well. My shrink turned me onto those, as well as a few other supplements to get my issues in order, but I can truly attribute a lot of my weight loss to a positive mental attitude.
Old 19-12-2013, 16:25
Titanium Member

Female from United States
jazzyj9 probably knows what they are talking about.jazzyj9 probably knows what they are talking about.jazzyj9 probably knows what they are talking about.jazzyj9 probably knows what they are talking about.jazzyj9 probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 640, Level: 3 Points: 640, Level: 3 Points: 640, Level: 3
Activity: 3.4% Activity: 3.4% Activity: 3.4%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou2011 View Post
(5 months clean) I was using speed everyday for almost 5yrs, I had a few months here 'n' there when I was clean, but everytime I got to the point of weight gain, feeling bored of everyday routeins, pain from the athritis and general low mood I would end up listening to the little dancing demon on my right shoulder and give in to the pull of the addiction ! I REALLY dont want to give in this time but Im at "that point" again and have gained nearly 3st in weight ! It somehow feels different this time cos deep down I know I can beat it, maybe this really is it and I have quit for good but I still feel like I need something to help me but doctors wont prescribe me anything because of my habits ! If anyones knows of any natural alternative to amphetamines then please share .....
There are a lot of natural antidepressants on the market. You have to be careful that you don't have an underlying bipolar disorder though because they may induce a manic episode. There are also amino acid supplements. Anti-depressants include: st. johns wart, SAM-e, rhodiola rosea, and there are probably others I can't think of them off the top of my head. For amino acids: l-tyrosine (may increase dopamine), 5htp-(may increase serotonin). Check out the nootropics section of the forum, you will probably find better answers and there may be a lot of things in addition to what I've mentioned. Check out the adaptogens too (balancing herbs). You can google them to find out more. Diet and exercise are important also, especially cardiovascular exercise. If you are a tobacco smoker, it may be a good time to quit, and start an exercise regime. Good luck and keep up the good work. Sometimes it takes a while to get back to normal. One thing I forgot to mention is a light box. Some people with depression have been helped by light therapy.

Last edited by jazzyj9; 19-12-2013 at 16:48.
Old 20-12-2013, 01:50

Male from Canada
rayrodg should review received reputation comments.
Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

Rayrodg gained 75 pounds after a year but it's so good to enjoy eating and sleeping again. Just remember any weight gain is way offset by all the damage the shit does to your brain, liver, teeth...

rayrodg added 1 Minutes and 54 Seconds later...

Once your body starts to recover, start working out. Lifting weights, lexapro and weed helped me get off the shit and been "clean" from the shit for 3 years. Good luck bro!

Last edited by rayrodg; 20-12-2013 at 01:50. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Share this on:

Tags
addiction, recovery &

» New Threads
what was the first drug that you...
Last post by laron16
123 Replies, 10,029 Views
How Hard was it for you to get...
Last post by tidruid
21 Replies, 1,274 Views
loperamide what do you know?