Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > RECOVERY & ADDICTION > Drug Addiction & Recovery > Opiate addiction
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Opiate addiction Support for coping with Opiate addiction and Opiate addiction treatment.

Old 11-10-2013, 23:16
Silver Member

20 y/o Female from Earth
dancingcow is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 19, Level: 1 Points: 19, Level: 1 Points: 19, Level: 1
Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5%
Addicted to opiates during pregnancy, while having Fibromyalgia.

Hello,

I have had severe Fibromyalgia for near 7 years. Every day it gets worse. I have tried the non-narcotic medications offered to help with fibromyalgia pain, but they haven't worked at all.
Neurontin/Gabapentin, Lyrica, Tramadol (awful) and other stuff I can't remember the names of...
And I gave them a fair shot...
My insurance company and doctors are TERRIBLE and never saw reason to get me to pain management.
I believe I should be prescribed a good dose of a pain medication because of how severe my pain can be.
So I began self medicating..
Because some days I am bedridden. Some days I get angry and sad about how I have to live with this pain throughout my entire body for my whole life...
It started when I was 13..

My fiance and I decided to have a child. I am currently 23 weeks along. I have had no problems.. Ultrasounds shows the baby is perfectly healthy and I feel fine minus the extra pain due to pregnancy.

From before I got pregnant to the fourth month, I stayed away from opiates. There weren't any available to me.
Then they were right in my face... And I couldn't help but take low doses.
1-2 750mg hydrocodone pill(s).
OR
1-3 10mg oxycodone with however much tylenol, percoset pill(s).
OR
1 30mg morphine sulfate pill.
per day, not every day but close to it.

I don't believe I am taking these for recreational use. I am someone who just couldn't get a prescription because insurance companies and doctors are jerks, especially when they can't believe someone so young has pain so severe...

Sorry the explanation was so long...

What I'm looking for is an opinion about if I should feel as guilty as I do for taking these meds (which I'm not but should be prescribed) or not, while pregnant.

I have read many articles about the dangers of taking medications during pregnancy so please, do not offer me such facts. I already know.

I am also looking for supportive responses if anyone may offer me any. Things like stories of babies that turned out fine from worse.. Reassurance to make my guilt reduce... I don't know.. . It is a difficult situation...

Thank you.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:01
Titanium Member

Female from United States
prescriptionperil really adds to the discussion.prescriptionperil really adds to the discussion.prescriptionperil really adds to the discussion.prescriptionperil really adds to the discussion.prescriptionperil really adds to the discussion.prescriptionperil really adds to the discussion.
Points: 762, Level: 4 Points: 762, Level: 4 Points: 762, Level: 4
Activity: 4.9% Activity: 4.9% Activity: 4.9%
Re: Addicted to opiates during pregnancy, while having Fibromyalgia.

According to Medscape, patients with fibromyalgia central nervous system is more sensitive to painful stimuli. This is termed hyperalgesia. Hyperalgesia also can develop in opiate users. According Medscape, studies done on opiates for fibromyalgia showed poor efficacy. Although fibromyalgia can occur at any age, generally from 20-55, according to Medscape, the most common age for onset is
the midforties.

I wouldn't feel good about taking opiates while pregnant. According to The New York Times neurodevelopmental problems were observed in toddlers, who were born addicted to opiates.
If your child is born addicted to opiates the infant will go through the hell of withdrawal.
Of course, hospital staff have seen these symptoms before, so your baby will be drug tested.
I have no idea whether child protection agencies would be contacted where you live, but I've heard stories of this happening. Given the drugs were non prescribed this could be an issue. You may plan
to be clean for the due date, but babies are surprising, as are addictions. Also, stress is bad forfibro,oas anxiety and depression are common with the syndrome.

If you're bedriden then taking care of an infant would be overwhelming. I understand studies on.
ultra low dose naltrexone showed efficacy for fibro. The prescription can be compounded, as the dose is far, far lower than the dose to block the opiate high. Naturopaths can write a script, I believe. However, I don't know if it's terotogenic. Medical marijuana ( or even marijuana) helps
fibromyalgia according to studies. Marijuana has not been proven terotogenic, but keep usage low. SAMe, magnesium, massage, gentle exercise helps. Opiates lead to tolerance, which can lead to
higher opiate doses. Thirty mgs of oxycodone is not thought of as a small dose. Perhaps .05. Since the pill mill fiasco and the accidental death rate from opiates skyrocketing I wouldn't take the refusal personally.

Somewhere a news story exists on Drugs Forum about the doctor, who'd originally touted the idea of
treating chronic pain with opiates. He admits his original idea was flawed after seeing it in practice.

You don't want to risk your baby being born addicted.

GOOD LUCK!

Post Quality Evaluations:
Truly smart, baby-friendly, safety minded and kind advice given from a very knowedgeable and principled perspective.
informative and factual without being judgmental.
Very helpful, solid advice for both baby and mommy.

Last edited by prescriptionperil; 12-10-2013 at 05:43.
Old 24-10-2013, 16:49
Silver Member

20 y/o Female from Earth
dancingcow is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 19, Level: 1 Points: 19, Level: 1 Points: 19, Level: 1
Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5%

Thank you, prescriptionperil, for your input.
Regarding medical marijuana, as I am pregnant, I was threatened by my doctors that if I test positive (with a license or not!) social workers would be involved and I would likely have my child taken away. I tested positive my first doctor visit, indicating I was smoking before I knew I was pregnant, and haven't been able to use it to help me since.. I just wanted to say this because I think it is wrong of them to do this.
Old 27-10-2013, 18:09
Silver Member

30 y/o Female from United States
Mfine409 is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 59, Level: 1 Points: 59, Level: 1 Points: 59, Level: 1
Activity: 3.0% Activity: 3.0% Activity: 3.0%

Hi, new to this forum/site. First off, congratulations on the pregnancy. There's nothing more wonderful than bringing life into this world! There's also nothing more terrifying than bringing life into this world and being afraid you're child may be born dependent on opiates. So my best advice to you is to find a way to get off them. I can certainly feel your pain and am in no way here to judge or lecture.

A little info about me, so you know where I am coming from: I'm currently at about 40hrs cold turkey from a 3+ years, 30mg/day of oxycodone (percocets) habit. I was prescribed the medication for ovarian cancer, arthritis, ddd, stenosis, you name it. I have it. I'm only 29yo. I'm also pregnant. I have been through the anguish of feeling guilty for having to take medication while pregnant the first time I was pregnant. When I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer, I had tumors on my ovary the size of grapefruits. I was in a lot of pain and had to under go surgery a couple times (while pregnant). Anyway, I took the pills sparingly (10mg/day) and my son came out perfectly healthy. Now here I am pregnant again, and a chronic pain patient too boot. :/ I wish it wasn't so. But it is. This time I'm not going to Torture myself with the thoughts that my baby could be born addicted. So I decided to quit. I tapered down to a 15mg/day and finally jumped off two days ago. Yes, I have pain...I'll probably always have it. But the pain I'll go through will be minimal compared to the pain a baby in withdrawal must feel. So I'm doing this
For my child and I hope you'll do the same. I can say, the first 40hrs haven't been bad at all. I've been able to get up and care for my toddler. We went and had breakfast this morning. Then we played outside. It's been a good day and I've almost hit 48hrs! Yay. So if you need any support or insight while you kick your habit, I am here! I may be new to the board, but i am not a novice when it comes to your situation. Bless you and your baby.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Fansatic harm reduction advice given in a caring manner
Good advice from experience and sympathetic to the OP. Welcome to DF!
Old 27-10-2013, 21:44
Banned

31 y/o Male from USA - California
whatstheproblem probably knows what they are talking about.whatstheproblem probably knows what they are talking about.whatstheproblem probably knows what they are talking about.whatstheproblem probably knows what they are talking about.whatstheproblem probably knows what they are talking about.

im gonna take this opportunity to redeem myself and not get any red stars like i did with another post about being pregnant using opiates.

i can tell your genuinly asking for help and care very much indeed about the baby. im not gonna say much as i dont know anything about pregnancy and drug interations

but i know that even a little usage can create wds with adults so i imagine it wouldnt take much for the baby. i would suggest getting of them while the baby is still inside you cause it seems that would be less painful for the baby than to come out addicted.

i imagine wherever your at that if the baby comes up positive for anything they're gonna take it. i couldnt imagine being a mother, carrying a life inside you for that long, give birth and then watch some dickhead stranger with a judgemental look on their face take my baby. i wish you well. if it gets tough just remember that its not for you right now, but the person downstairs in your belly

Share this on:

Tags
fibromyalgia, opiate addiction, opiate addiction and pregnancy, pregnancy, pregnant drugs use